Building Hawaii Wrestling

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
1hawaii
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Re: Building Hawaii Wrestling

Post by 1hawaii »

Halaokolele:
I got it. I am publicly acknowledging your point. We should not just go to Fargo. The way we do it needs to change. We should build up Hawaii's programs over a long period of time following some of your suggestions. Then someday we will be in position to compete. I know 5 die hard coaches with college wrestling backgrounds and a couple others that don't. It sounds like you are qualified for the task too.
In 10 years an 8 year old who loves wrestling with dedicated parents is our target group. This is the future then, 10 years we will have a Hawaii Junior team in 2024 that will dominate. If your going to say there is absolutely no way a group of individuals can make a change over 10 years then great, I now know where you stand. But if you want to keep an open mind then try it WITH me. Then I will have an open mind with you. Either way I am going to try until I'm blue in the face. Shoot for the starts and you might hit the moon. Set your goals high. Dream big Work hard Surround yourself with good people. Little kids don't dream about taking 4th in the Olympics. They dream about gold. Let's not begrudge Hawaii room to get better and over time to get great. Team Hawaii will be great!

Let's clear a path for a group of 8-10 year olds to come up through a new Hawaii wrestling program with big goals and a plan to make dreams a reality. Are you up for that or not?

SurveySays
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by SurveySays »

We all want better coaches, with better credentials. Oh well.

What is killing hawaii and I can't emphasize killing enough is the HS head coach that just won't leave. And the narcissistic ego maniacs that love to hear themselves do the same thing year in and year out for their own benefit not the programs. The best HS wrestlers improve their skills outside of the HS practices.

Off season club programs include USAW Oahu, USAW Maui, AAU, maybe PAL.

USAW Oahu is directed by a self serving board that is more concerned about their personal teams then Team HI. Has anyone read the By Laws allowing clubs to run their own practices in place of attending Team HI practices, Grapplers. Or how's about the two college national champs who ran secret clinics. Only promoted to a select few, Ewa. As long as no one cares about Team HI it won't improve. We finally have a head coach that doesn't run his own personal ego camp only allowing his old faithful in the inner circle. Coach Corbett is far from perfect but opens the floor to coaches who want to come and improve the team. He always has an open door for communication between coaches, parents, wrestlers. None of this shut up or get out mentality. Mind reading not required.

USAW Maui put together a nice showing at Pocatello. Oh, I mean Team Maui until they needed to fill the final spots. Then they called Oahu. Look at the team picture and count the Oahu coaches and wrestlers.

AAU. Lord Monte enough said.

PAL. Lord Monte, I think.

Until the HS ranks come into the new age and lose the dead wood and until clubs and programs aren't only self serving Team HI will continue to be the pay to play team from paradise. Coaches, wrestlers, parents need to be willing to risk exposing that secret training method to their opponent in HS season or having their wrestlers tendencies exposed or whatever stops you from gathering as the best in the state. Program directors grow the sport in Hawaii don't split our small contingent of talent, work together, stuff your egos.

To all you HS programs that go to camps or smaller tournaments to wrestle good mainland guys, guess why those mainland guys are there? They are preparing for Fargo or a regional qualifier. Yes several states require their team to qualify at a state level for Fargo.

I have only complained but Hawaii CAN compete nationally. No not the JV or fringe wrestler that wants the Fargo experience and has the money but the best wrestlers in the state gathering together to kick some mainland butt.

1hawaii
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by 1hawaii »

Tough to swallow survey says.
I can't get bad HS coaches fired and not sure how anyone could either. Parents get your AD's to light a fire if you can? Alumni get in there and shake things up? One focused assistant coach can make a difference.

As for clubs your cutting very deep and close to my heart. I'm going to try not to be defensive and ask everyone who has dedicated themselves to Oahu USA, Maui USA, PAL, AAU, Grapplers, EWA and Team Hawaii to do the same.

You can't fix a broken leg with a band aid. As much as it hurts you need to reset the leg so it can heal straight. Many feel that this new HFUSAW fixed what was broken and others see it as a band aid. I think we have what we need to walk again and be as good as new with HFUSAW. But man is it a painfully slow recovery. Patience is a virtue I'm told.

1. USAW Oahu. What is that? Isn't there only HFUSAW? There is no sub group below it. Oahu should have an Oahu Club League that uses USA insurance and is under the state association. Put some space between a league and a board that doesn't serve your needs or vision. You don't have to do it their way just because you use "their" insurance. But for now, I got an idea let's attend each others tournaments and participate in the sport we train for. We can fix stuff as we go. Say it with me "wrestling good, not wrestling bad".

It's hard to defend against the Grapplers HFUSAW board member connection since 4 out of 9 are on it. Elections are coming up and a couple Grappler members should make room for others. If anything it would help against the appearance of bias. If they don't, oh we'll it's a democracy and you have your chance each election to make a change. How do their elections work? Are some members up for reelection and others safe? I can think of 2 new guys who need to be on that board. At the same time some board members need to stay including the president. Grapplers is great for Hawaii and we need more clubs like them.
Same goes for EWA. Hawaii would be very tough with a dozen clubs like EWA. You made your point about those NC clinics. They can defend themselves. I will say one thing. Some clubs and parents are die hard and dedicated to being the best. Some clubs and parents are slackers who never step up or help out. Does EWA have to open up their program to fair weather wrestlers. Being selective is not a crime in its self. If your dedicated I think you got a call from the guy running EWA. You can judge a club by the fruits of its labor. Kyle and Logan are a result of their dedication and hard work. Their effort was made apparent in success at mainland tournaments and camps. It's just networking and elite clubs on the mainland do it all the time. SurveySays, when you bring out a NC please remember to call EWA to show them how it's done.

Team Hawaii coach is exactly what you said. No mind reading with that guy. He speaks his mind and comes off crusty to some but is really a softy on the inside. He will work with you, me or anyone else if it's in the name of wrestling. Right Bad Santa? You promised ;) Give him a call and tell him you want to work with him, you will see.

Again, what is USAW Maui? There is only HFUSAW. I think your referring to Maui Sports Foundation and the club league they run called Maui Style. MSF is a 501c3 and uses USAW for insurance. Years ago out of frustration they left USA and used AAU for insurance. When HFUSAW rebooted they asked the head of MSF to be a part of USA and offered the Folkstyle only option (Maui does folk only). They also made the Maui guy a board member. Kauai has a guy and Big Island too. Good move on HFUSAW's part because the Maui guy has done a lot for Hawaii wrestling. Not his league, high school, Maui, MIL, his kids, his club, USAW, but Hawaii wrestling. The down side is the season is very short. 700 kids and 14 clubs working together is pretty good. No state title from Maui yes...but still pretty good.

As for "Team Maui" in Pocatello. HFUSAW organized that trip and the Team Hawaii coach was running the show. Each island was begged to participate and you can talk to any coach and ask if they knew about the trip. If you do could you please post on here what club is claiming they didn't know about this trip? If anyone feels left out guess what!?!? Next year Team Hawaii will be going to their regional again, June 10-20. Feel free to send your whole club and get in the team photo...every year.

Leader of PAL and AAU is just that, a leader. If you don't want to follow great. But don't deny he has a great group of clubs and loves wrestling. He has earned a place at the table. He should be elected to the HFUSAW board and he has a role to play in building Hawaii wrestling. He has been for 20 years.

We need more EWA's more Grapplers more Maui Style leagues more "Lords of PAL" LOL.

Kauai and Big Island gets off the hook with you? That goes to my point that when you step up people criticize you.

Big Island get a corresponding club for every town big enough to have high school in it. Put the club coaches together in a room and run a season with tournaments in gyms. Make it parallel with the rest of the clubs in Hawaii and go to Maui for folk states and Oahu for freestyle states. Pick up a phone and talk to each other and return an email. It is called coordinating.

Kauai, I like you but sorry the grace period is over. You gotta do it too.

In summary let's all wrestle more. First, we wrestle on our respective islands and especially if we don't like each other's clubs. Second we wrestle each other in state wide tournaments, especially if we think our island's do it better. Then we come together and wrestle the mainland especially if we want to kick its okole.

Let's kick okole.

twnoexcuses
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by twnoexcuses »

The attitude expressed below is what keeps Hawaii wrestling down.

SurveySays wrote:We all want better coaches, with better credentials. Oh well.

What is killing hawaii and I can't emphasize killing enough is the HS head coach that just won't leave. And the narcissistic ego maniacs that love to hear themselves do the same thing year in and year out for their own benefit not the programs. The best HS wrestlers improve their skills outside of the HS practices.

Off season club programs include USAW Oahu, USAW Maui, AAU, maybe PAL.

USAW Oahu is directed by a self serving board that is more concerned about their personal teams then Team HI. Has anyone read the By Laws allowing clubs to run their own practices in place of attending Team HI practices, Grapplers. Or how's about the two college national champs who ran secret clinics. Only promoted to a select few, Ewa. As long as no one cares about Team HI it won't improve. We finally have a head coach that doesn't run his own personal ego camp only allowing his old faithful in the inner circle. Coach Corbett is far from perfect but opens the floor to coaches who want to come and improve the team. He always has an open door for communication between coaches, parents, wrestlers. None of this shut up or get out mentality. Mind reading not required.

USAW Maui put together a nice showing at Pocatello. Oh, I mean Team Maui until they needed to fill the final spots. Then they called Oahu. Look at the team picture and count the Oahu coaches and wrestlers.

AAU. Lord Monte enough said.

PAL. Lord Monte, I think.

Until the HS ranks come into the new age and lose the dead wood and until clubs and programs aren't only self serving Team HI will continue to be the pay to play team from paradise. Coaches, wrestlers, parents need to be willing to risk exposing that secret training method to their opponent in HS season or having their wrestlers tendencies exposed or whatever stops you from gathering as the best in the state. Program directors grow the sport in Hawaii don't split our small contingent of talent, work together, stuff your egos.

To all you HS programs that go to camps or smaller tournaments to wrestle good mainland guys, guess why those mainland guys are there? They are preparing for Fargo or a regional qualifier. Yes several states require their team to qualify at a state level for Fargo.

I have only complained but Hawaii CAN compete nationally. No not the JV or fringe wrestler that wants the Fargo experience and has the money but the best wrestlers in the state gathering together to kick some mainland butt.

halaokolele
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by halaokolele »

Hawaii has to be real when looking in tne mirror, thats the only way change will ever take place. Placing in Fargo is no joke, Hawaii becoming a power house at Fargo is insane and will take an incredible amount of resources and planning. Follwing the past and current plan has not worked, will not work and needs revision.
Your plan of shooting for the stars sounds great but truly is a pipe dream with no vision.

[quote="1hawaii"]Halaokolele:
I got it. I am publicly acknowledging your point. We should not just go to Fargo. The way we do it needs to change. We should build up Hawaii's programs over a long period of time following some of your suggestions. Then someday we will be in position to compete. I know 5 die hard coaches with college wrestling backgrounds and a couple others that don't. It sounds like you are qualified for the task too.
In 10 years an 8 year old who loves wrestling with dedicated parents is our target group. This is the future then, 10 years we will have a Hawaii Junior team in 2024 that will dominate. If your going to say there is absolutely no way a group of individuals can make a change over 10 years then great, I now know where you stand. But if you want to keep an open mind then try it WITH me. Then I will have an open mind with you. Either way I am going to try until I'm blue in the face. Shoot for the starts and you might hit the moon. Set your goals high. Dream big Work hard Surround yourself with good people. Little kids don't dream about taking 4th in the Olympics. They dream about gold. Let's not begrudge Hawaii room to get better and over time to get great. Team Hawaii will be great!

Let's clear a path for a group of 8-10 year olds to come up through a new Hawaii wrestling program with big goals and a plan to make dreams a reality. Are you up for that or not?[/quote]

SurveySays
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by SurveySays »

1hawaii & twnoexcuses you miss my point. I am talking about Fargo and being competitive as a state.

Hard to convey in a forum.

Monte is an organized leader but single handedly divides hawaii wrestling by running his season the same as the USAW (which matches USAW in the mainland). To say his intentions are pure is disingenuous.

USAW Oahu or USAW Maui are obviously under HFUSAW but to say they are operated as the same league is ludicrous. I actually think Maui does an awesome job. My point is their trip to Pocatello was not to bring a Team Hawaii all star team to compete at the duals but to fill the spots with Maui wrestlers. That's fine but isn't as competitive as it could be. The real cadet duals were in Florida I believe at the same time. Good start but notice my point in my first paragraph. Being competitive nationally.

Ewa brought down NCs as a vice chair of HFUSA. Again my point, being competitive as a state. Great for Ewa.

Ryan seems to have taken the directorship reluctantly but has reorganized USAW excellently. He put together a team of volunteers albeit Grappler heavy that got the job done. He has a pay to play club. There are limited number of parents with the resources, he hasn't provided facility or coaches from his organization to support Team HI and in fact reduces the competitive nature of regular Team HI practices. Is USAW better than before I say yes. Am I grateful to the founders of HFUSA? Without a doubt!

It's one thing to have a rosy positive attitude but you want to go on how Hawaii is not competitive nationally well I think we are but we have a bunch of self serving segments. Are they good for Hawaii wrestling of course. It breeds competition and encourages excellence. We need that competition to push improvement. We do need more Ewas and Grapplers and Maui dual teams BUT at some point in order to be competitive nationally we need to come together, each self serving segment and pool our talent.

You know what makes wrestlers better? Good partners. That's why people pay grapplers fee or go to camps or join good clubs. There is no secret training method or super duper clinic. It's good partners and a competitive room.

If Hawaii comes together once a year to train and compete nationally we will be in the hunt. Hope you see my point it's about winning at the biggest HS tournament in the country. Fargo!

1hawaii
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by 1hawaii »

Halaokolele: so if we look in the mirror and make an honest change (for the better) would we still be insane to try and be a tougher state? Can we improve to the point where we're kind of good? I'd like to keep my sanity and hit a reasonable goal. I do have a vision and it will take about 10 years with us all working together and doing more. Would you mind sharing your vision. Plus I really get it, Hawaii kicking but at Fargo is a "pipe dream".
I actually had to double check to see how crazy you thought I was being.
Pipe Dream:
1. Fantastic ideas brought on by smoking opium
2. An illusory or fantastic plan, hope, or story

I was hoping you meant 2 but if you think I'm high as a kite talking about Hawaii being great one day so be it.

SurveySays: I think you cleared up some stuff and better understand what your saying.

Does he divide Hawaii? Or does he divide Oahu?
One could make the case that...He wanted to do folk on Oahu (under USA) leading up to the state tournament in Maui. After that (second week of May) the plan was to do freestyle tournaments up to Aloha State games. Keep in mind this was for youth only because his high schoolers are all training in freestyle as does Maui. He has done both state tournaments with big numbers for over 20 years. Not to mention Pocatello. Doesn't that count for anything?

If cooler heads prevailed someone might of shown a little prudence and said, fine lets do it your way. It was a practical request. Instead he was told no by "new" people on Oahu in an organization he has been loyal to for years. In the end he took his toys and left to AAU. But all those Oahu clubs that said fine we don't want to play with you anyways had a hand in dividing Oahu too. So I don't agree with the "singlehandedly" statement.

One last thing that everyone keeps forgetting. In his view and I think in Maui's this is all about Hawaii wrestling each other and competition. The Cobras were the first to come to Maui. They won the trophy as an "outer-island". When he was USA and Maui was AAU he came. Now he is AAU and Maui is USA. Guess what? He still participates in the HFUSAW youth Folkstyle state championships! He brought more wrestlers to Maui then any outer-island club and placed the highest. In fact I think Cobras had more Oahu wrestlers participating in Maui then an HFUSAW Oahu club had at its own HFUSAW freestyle state championships. Let that soak in for a second. He has more kids on Maui then an Oahu club in Oahu.

Honestly, HFUSAW should be humble and ask him to reconsider coming back. Offer him a seat at the board. Get the Scorpions on there too. Why? Because HFUSAW would singlehandedly unite Oahu. How can we host a "state wide" championships for $25 bucks when it's not even an "Oahu wide" tournament. He would come back and Hawaii would be better for it. All you probably have to do is run a short little Folkstyle season like he originally wanted so his youth club could get ready for Folkstyle states on Maui.

HFUSAW-Oahu would do Folkstyle tournaments from April 4 to May 2. His clubs could host the tournaments and everyone should attend, happily or not. Then for the clubs/wrestlers not going to Maui start our freestyle season May 9 to June 5-6. Now you got all his clubs returning the favor doing freestyle again AND Maui is doing it too.

Boom! Hawaii United!!!!!

SurveySays where on earth did you get your info on "Maui's trip". For the record there were more Oahu high school wrestlers in that picture then last year. In fact when was there ever more? 6 Oahu high school wrestler, 2 were state champions and 1 runner up. Last year there was only 2. Also there were no "spots to fill" because you could take a dozen 138 pounders. We almost did by the way. The day the dates were set the same info went out to everyone via email. The response was little to none and we worked with anyone and everyone who was interested. Maui showed up because it lined up with a camp they were all going to the day after the tournament. There was no limit to the amount of dual teams Hawaii could bring. Everyone was needed and not wanting a Hawaii All Star Team is so completely opposite of the truth. I'm pissed people even think that. Can you tell me where that idea came from? We posted on Team Hawaii Facebook. It was on the HFUSAW website. Calls were made. Emails were blasted to representatives on every island.

Unreal. Who the hell even cares about the Oahu to Maui ratio for a "real" Team Hawaii. What all stars did we avoid? What motive was served to keep it Maui? Hey Hawaii GO TO YOUR REGIONAL!!!!!! It's 1/3 the price of Fargo and it's 3x the mat time. Those coaches in the photo are mostly youth coaches. Team Hawaii had 2 coaches from Oahu and 1 from Maui. All the youth kids were from Maui except for 1. Not sure why. Last year Oahu had 7 youth wrestlers. Ask there clubs but don't imply this thing was a "Maui only" trip please.

Leftfieldcoachlikeu
High-quality H20 provider

Post by Leftfieldcoachlikeu »

1hawaii - most of these guys who are crying are guys who rather sit on the sidelines and complain rather then get involved and do work for the kids. It is obvious because of their ignorant statements.

Monte at AAU - Hfusa is thankful. Some kids are poison, some adults are poison as well. It baffles me how he can still get kids. I think he can only get kids and not older kids anymore because there are much better places to practice. How many ways can you show a head and arm? He also gets parents who don't know anything about the sport.
Unless you are going to work with him at every meeting, please do not promote him coming over. Do you ever wonder why no high school coach will ever let him on his team? Let him have AAU. Our high school and junior high kids are better for it. I don't think I can stress that point enough.

1hawaii
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by 1hawaii »

Leftfieldcoachlikeu: I don't mind the complaining and if it's good or bad, positive or negative, I came on here to get everyone's point of view before I start trying to change things. This is the modern day town square and everyone can get on a box and yell if they feel the need to. If SurveySays thinks Maui hijacked Western Regional and closed it to wherever he's from then others do too. The fact is there is going to be another Team Hawaii in Pocatello and you are all needed and welcome. State champs and JV that is your regional so let's go big in 2015. It wasn't a cadet dual by the way SurveySays. The one in Florida, USAW Cadet National Duals is a freestyle and Greco tournament. I hear it's great but Florida is a longer, pricier ticket. It is $750 per team per style to enter. Each team must provide a state official for the duals or your fined $500 per style.

Western duals is just a festival. Meaning schoolboys, cadets and juniors are all allowed on the same team. No official is required. It is $100 per team per style. Each wrestler paid $12 (their share) to participate. For your money and time you got 10-12 matches. In my opinion it was the perfect level for Hawaii.

There are 6 regions that make up USAW. The natural progression in "wrestling states" is cut and dry.
Mass participation in local league seasons > go to states > go to regions > go to nationals. The state organization facilitates this progression, culminating with Fargo. They start with their lil guys. When they are ready they go to regionals and Kids Nationals. The wrestlers and clubs that do this are the building blocks for a national team. Kids usually get their first taste with schoolboy national duals. Then there is cadets and finally Junior national duals. This is the path that Illinois, Michigan and Oklahoma take. They are at the top now. But the journey for those boys in Fargo started about 10 years earlier. It was the state organizations that had the goal-plan-discipline to make their dream a reality.

5 years ago Colorado was mocked too. Colorado? There not a wrestling state. Pipe Dream. But their youth programs started to explode. They started going to regional and national tournaments and forming lil "Team Colorados". This year they just won schoolboy national duals in Greco. In a couple years this group will do cadets and win that. Then Junior duals. Then Fargo. That's their goal. Their Pipe Dream. Silly Colorado. No vision.

Oklahoma took a shot at Illinois but it was New Jersey that got the kill! Colorado is in the middle of the hunt. Hawaii can and will get in the hunt starting tomorrow. As of today 2014 is over.

1. Oahu; we need to unite our youth wrestling.
2. Maui; do youth freestyle and Greco
3. Big Island and Kauai; youth wrestling season please.
4. High School coaches; Wednesday night duals Saturday tournaments.
5. Anyone; Middle school wrestling?
6. Everyone; Come together for states May 9 in Maui and June 5-6 in Oahu.
7. Maui only; don't for get the secret dual team in Idaho June 10-20.
8. Lil dreamers; please come to Western Regionals.

Happy hunting.

*Frozen3
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by *Frozen3 »

1hawaii wrote:twnoexcuses:
OK, say I could organize all the wrestling parents into a unified voice and convince school administrators to embrace wrestling.

We want more mat time in our school gyms. Then they say "absolutely, how can we accommodate you". Do I ask for duals on Wednesday night? These duals could build towards a final 4 between the islands or leagues. Then we crown a Hawaii State duals champion. We can conclude everything just before our district championships. Saturdays would be round robin or bracket tournaments.

Wednesday Night Duals! All around the state gyms would have 1 on 1 duals on a center mat under the lights!
Good food, hype it up, play music, announcer, OIA duals champ vs ILH duals champ on OC 16!

Would that do the trick for issue 1?

Let me connect this to your third issue. With a big hyped up dual vs to power house programs the beginner or entry level wrestler filling the line up is very important. So is the JV dual (from a JV point of view). If Varsity is the main event and JV is part of the show, couldn't we make the middle schools the opening act? For example:

Campbell vs Pearl City Varsity 8pm
Campbell vs Pearl City JV 7pm
Ilima vs Highland Middle 6pm

In the movie Win Win, has any scene ever shown how fun a dual can be to an average person? When Stemler avoids the tech fall from Darth Vader the crowd goes wild, the team gets it's first win and Stemler is the hero. Magic. That could only of happened on 1 mat in the center of the gym.

halaokolele:
Yes it's a pipe dream for now but I want to give it a shot. Let's just discuss how to make a dream a reality. Starts with a plan. You bring up a huge point. Fargo can't be a wrestlers first tournament or Hawaii's only tournament. We are putting the carriage before the horse when we go to Fargo without wrestlers that have been prepared or with wrestlers that haven't. So let's throw it in reverse. What should a Hawaii wrestler do before Fargo.
Also, we could do Fargo cheaper.
Costs can be addressed with fundraising and fundraising comes with organizing. People will organize if you have a good plan. So let's plan out the path over the next 10 years. Not Fargo (the carriage) but the perpetration for Fargo success (the horse).
How do we get two dozen Liams and Diamonds?

Kama:
Has anyone seriously pitched the idea of a woman's wrestling program to BYU-Hawaii, HPU or Chaminade? We would bring home a national championships and dominate! Why not just add a men's program too then? Who would be the best person to sell the idea to a college AD. Seriously, if you had a short list of people who could sell this to a Hawaii college who would/should be on it?

I know an anxious young lady who talked about pitching a woman's collegiate wrestling program at our colleges here on Oahu and even coming back to coach. She is currently attending college though. Once graduating she plans to do just that.. WE'LL SEE THOUGH... hint..3x State Wrestling Champ 4x State Judo Champ..

1hawaii
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by 1hawaii »

So woman's wrestling has been pitched to BYU-Hawaii, Chaminade and HPU? What was their response? How did it go? What are the obstacles in the way right now. Let's set it up now and she can be the coach.

wrestling808

Post by wrestling808 »

1hawaii wrote:So woman's wrestling has been pitched to BYU-Hawaii, Chaminade and HPU? What was their response? How did it go? What are the obstacles in the way right now. Let's set it up now and she can be the coach.
Ok, How about you get the ball rolling with a cash donation to the tune of $250,000 That should get things started. Don't forget the additional $100,000 a year to cover travelling.

1hawaii
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by 1hawaii »

Is that the number wrestling808? 250 to start and 100 to maintain. A school like Chaminade has chosen to have athletics. They have woman's basketball, golf, cross county, volleyball and tennis. In a state like Hawaii we send our best wrestlers to the mainland. The 20 plus programs on the mainland all think it is money well spent. Most of the colleges are in states that don't even have girls sanctioned high school wrestling. Finally are Hawaii's 10 best runners going to Chaminade? Are the Tennis stars coming out of Hawaii signing with Chaminade? Do you think it is silly to propose woman's wrestling? How good would a Hawaii be with our top 10 stars on it? Is it a waste of time to even discuss it on a forum. You would think a college that just happens to be in a state with world class female wrestlers might want to take advantage. It makes business sense to serve the market.

Finally, I know you were just making a joke but I have daughters who wrestle. If Chaminade or HPU had a woman's wrestling team they may just get $250,000 from me after all. All joking aside I will gladly cut a check to any Hawaii college program. In fact, count me in as a future booster, season ticket holder, and proud sponsor. Wouldn't you?

wrestling808

Post by wrestling808 »

1hawaii wrote:Is that the number wrestling808? 250 to start and 100 to maintain. A school like Chaminade has chosen to have athletics. They have woman's basketball, golf, cross county, volleyball and tennis. In a state like Hawaii we send our best wrestlers to the mainland. The 20 plus programs on the mainland all think it is money well spent. Most of the colleges are in states that don't even have girls sanctioned high school wrestling. Finally are Hawaii's 10 best runners going to Chaminade? Are the Tennis stars coming out of Hawaii signing with Chaminade? Do you think it is silly to propose woman's wrestling? How good would a Hawaii be with our top 10 stars on it? Is it a waste of time to even discuss it on a forum. You would think a college that just happens to be in a state with world class female wrestlers might want to take advantage. It makes business sense to serve the market.

Finally, I know you were just making a joke but I have daughters who wrestle. If Chaminade or HPU had a woman's wrestling team they may just get $250,000 from me after all. All joking aside I will gladly cut a check to any Hawaii college program. In fact, count me in as a future booster, season ticket holder, and proud sponsor. Wouldn't you?
Enough talk, Enough posts... just do it.

1hawaii
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by 1hawaii »

Wrestling808, I'm asking frozen 3 a question. What was the response from the college administrators when approached about starting a wrestling team. He said they had been pitched already. I'm curious to know how those meetings went. Clearly your not.

No talk and no posts on a forum? Feel free to jump on the 2015 nonsense thread. League schedules are not out yet as far as I know. States is pushed a week back to March 6-7.