2015 Wrestling Speculation and Nonsense

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
halaokolele
Pine rider
Pine rider

Re: 2015 Wrestling Speculation and Nonsense

Post by halaokolele »

Girls side is a two team race Lahaina & Kamehameha....It is a very distant third.

Boys - should be Lahainas first title,

Kama
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by Kama »

Leftfieldcoachlikeu wrote:
Kama wrote:
saberswrestle wrote:Just a reminder for this weekend

USA Wrestling – Preseason Folkstyle Tournament
When 10/4/14
Where: Campbell High School
Time: 7:30 – 8:30 weigh ins; 10 am Start
Who: Everyone that has been wanting to get back on the mat since last season

Must have a valid USA Wrestling Card
$5 entrance fee $1 Spectator fee

No experience necessary, all ages are welcomed.

See you on the mats!

It was a good start to the 2015 season at the Campbell tournament today. I would estimate there were 50 little ones with 10 high schools girls as and 50 boys. The high schoolers were a mix of jv and varsity wrestlers.

Matches of note were Zach Diamond going down to a wrestler I haven't seen before 8 - 4. He may have been from Radford because coach Charles (formerly of Lokahi) was in his corner.
He was subsequently beaten by 2 Campbell wrestlers. So the jury is still out. Cody Cabanban looks to have added a few pounds to his physique and looked in mid season form. He wrestled Watase from Iolani but I missed the final score. (It was really hot and I needed a drink from the snack bar, sorry!)

On the girls side Campbells Pundyke and Peralta went undefeated. Both girls looked bigger and stronger than last season. With Pundyke and Peralta anchoring Campbells girls they are going to be a very tough team. There was a girl from Grapplers that looked really seasoned. Although she lost to Pundyke I was still impressed with her performance. Unfortunately, I didn't get her name or school she attends. Grapplers had a nice group of wrestlers representing them.

I look forward to the next tournament at Castle in 2 weeks. I think I'll bring a cooler with me so I don't miss any of the action :)
Was Peralta wrestling for Campbell or for Moanalua? If she's at Campbell, the girls race just got a little more interesting between Campbell, Lahaina, and Kam

I presume she wrestles for Campbell. I remember she wore an orange shirt that many of the campbell wrestlers had.
Why would she be wrestling with Moanalua?

Leftfieldcoachlikeu
High-quality H20 provider

Post by Leftfieldcoachlikeu »

There were rumors that she was transferring to Moanalua with the uncertainty of the program direction before Buelows replacement was made. If da team title is between Lahaina and Kam, i would put my money on Lahaina cuz idk anyone on Kams team besides Teshyia.

Kama
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by Kama »

Leftfieldcoachlikeu wrote:There were rumors that she was transferring to Moanalua with the uncertainty of the program direction before Buelows replacement was made. If da team title is between Lahaina and Kam, i would put my money on Lahaina cuz idk anyone on Kams team besides Teshyia.
Hey Coach, thanks for the information. I thought only football players did the transferring!

You're right about Kamehameha. With the exception of Teshiya and Pomai, I really don't know the rest either.

From what I've seen on Saturday Campbell will be in the running with Lahainaluna. They have a lot of new wrestlers that are pretty good. I think they have enough numbers to make a dent at states with consolation placers.

The matchup that I see coming to a showdown will be Jaramillo and Peralta. I was told Peralta weighed in at 149 so she could go to either 145 or 155 very easily. And she looked taller and more muscular than last season. If this proves true this would be the most anticipated girls match at states.

Of course this all presupposes that Cambell doesn't drop the ball again during the seeding meeting and they end up wrestling in the semi-finals like Peralta and Vasquez did last season. Someone needs to tell Campbell that you seed the 2 best wrestlers opposite of each other, not on the same side of the bracket.

Aloha!

Ramashack

Post by Ramashack »

Kama wrote:
Leftfieldcoachlikeu wrote:There were rumors that she was transferring to Moanalua with the uncertainty of the program direction before Buelows replacement was made. If da team title is between Lahaina and Kam, i would put my money on Lahaina cuz idk anyone on Kams team besides Teshyia.
...You're right about Kamehameha. With the exception of Teshiya and Pomai, I really don't know the rest either....
KSK also has D.Futa, frosh state champ at girls 113 last year. Beat Ford(PEC) in the finals.

wrestling808

Post by wrestling808 »

The matchup that I see coming to a showdown will be Jaramillo and Peralta. I was told Peralta weighed in at 149 so she could go to either 145 or 155 very easily. And she looked taller and more muscular than last season. If this proves true this would be the most anticipated girls match at states.

Of course this all presupposes that Cambell doesn't drop the ball again during the seeding meeting and they end up wrestling in the semi-finals like Peralta and Vasquez did last season. Someone needs to tell Campbell that you seed the 2 best wrestlers opposite of each other, not on the same side of the bracket.
Let's see if the new and improved Campbell wrestling with coach Lucas Misaki avoids the stupidity that former head coach Mark Buelow spearheaded each season. Unfortunately for Campbells wrestlers, Buelows staff still remains. If you're going to clean house and start anew, you need to dump the old trash thats in the house first. Sadly for Peralta, she should have transferred to Moanalua or gone to an ILH school.

wanna wrestle
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by wanna wrestle »

Wow!! A lot of personal attacks on this blog..... You peeps cant just support the sport, kids, coaches and volunteers who are involved instead of ripping them. Whoever you guys are, I hope your involved at some level trying to help hawaii grow as a sport and not just being negative.

Anyway, looks like another exciting season around the corner. I heard Oklahoma, Oregon State, Minnesota and American are coming on December 30th for a round robin tourney. This will be awesome.....

So who are the top teams and individuals this year for the high school season?

1hawaii
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by 1hawaii »

Well said wanna wrestle.
Support the sport by at least respecting the people that are volunteering their time to coach wrestling. A paid high school head coach is basically a volunteer too IMO. Good luck this year coaches and Mahalo!

Leftfieldcoachlikeu

wrestling808 wrote:

Let's see if the new and improved Campbell wrestling with coach Lucas Misaki avoids the stupidity that former head coach Mark Buelow spearheaded each season. Unfortunately for Campbells wrestlers, Buelows staff still remains. If you're going to clean house and start anew, you need to dump the old trash thats in the house first. Sadly for Peralta, she should have transferred to Moanalua or gone to an ILH school.
I guess I only see da results which have pretty good over the past couple years. You seem to know more, what are you talking about?

wrestling808

Post by wrestling808 »

wanna wrestle wrote:Wow!! A lot of personal attacks on this blog..... You peeps cant just support the sport, kids, coaches and volunteers who are involved instead of ripping them. Whoever you guys are, I hope your involved at some level trying to help hawaii grow as a sport and not just being negative.
There were no personal attacks made. Just wrestling. Pointing out the individuals who are useless is what I consider a public service.

wanna wrestle
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by wanna wrestle »

No..... Sounds pretty close to a personal attack on Buelow, but we'll just leave it at that and talk wrestling and not pointing out useless individuals.

halaokolele
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by halaokolele »

[quote="Kama"][quote="Leftfieldcoachlikeu"]There were rumors that she was transferring to Moanalua with the uncertainty of the program direction before Buelows replacement was made. If da team title is between Lahaina and Kam, i would put my money on Lahaina cuz idk anyone on Kams team besides Teshyia.[/quote]

Hey Coach, thanks for the information. I thought only football players did the transferring!

You're right about Kamehameha. With the exception of Teshiya and Pomai, I really don't know the rest either.

From what I've seen on Saturday Campbell will be in the running with Lahainaluna. They have a lot of new wrestlers that are pretty good. I think they have enough numbers to make a dent at states with consolation placers.

Aloha![/quote]

The 3 girls everyone should want to stay away from is Alo. Mataafa & Jaramillo!

they have pinned everyone in thei last two state tournaments and have toyed with their competition. Not weight classes to go get a first state title, Pereltas best bet is to go to 155 where she would instantly be a favorite to be a finalist or go after Vasquez if you want to dethrone a champ.

Heard that Teniya Alo will be going to take out a returning state champ as she starts her own legacy

should be a fun year!

Leftfieldcoachlikeu

halaokolele wrote:
Kama wrote:

A
Aloha!

they have pinned everyone in thei last two state tournaments and have toyed with their competition. Not weight classes to go get a first state title, Pereltas best bet is to go to 155 where she would instantly be a favorite to be a finalist or go after Vasquez if you want to dethrone a champ.

Heard that Teniya Alo will be going to take out a returning state champ as she starts her own legacy

should be a fun year!
I'm starting to get pumped about this season with all this matchup talk. If Peralta and Jaramillo are competitive, what match would you rather see, the invincible Jaramillo vs. the #1 contender Peralta, or Teniya Alo vs. Donavyn Futa, the winner has a great chance of winning 4 individual titles.

twnoexcuses
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by twnoexcuses »

wanna wrestle wrote:No..... Sounds pretty close to a personal attack on Buelow, but we'll just leave it at that and talk wrestling and not pointing out useless individuals.
So funny how accusations of personal attacks end up being personal attacks. Being holier than thou is such a tough life to credibly.

halaokolele
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by halaokolele »

[quote="Leftfieldcoachlikeu"][quote="halaokolele"][quote="Kama"][quote="Leftfieldcoachlikeu"]There were rumors that she was transferring to Moanalua with the uncertainty of the program direction before Buelows replacement was made. If da team title is between Lahaina and Kam, i would put my money on Lahaina cuz idk anyone on Kams team besides Teshyia.[/quote]

A
Aloha![/quote]

should be a fun year![/quote]

I'm starting to get pumped about this season with all this matchup talk. If Peralta and Jaramillo are competitive, what match would you rather see, the invincible Jaramillo vs. the #1 contender Peralta, or Teniya Alo vs. Donavyn Futa, the winner has a great chance of winning 4 individual titles.[/quote]

Dont think it would be competitive, Jaramillio is stronger and more athletic with the senior mental toughness...will be very difficult to take out

Teniya will get hers, Futa peaked perfect for states and came away with the title. If its her and Alo, IMO alo wins 10 out of 10 matches head to head. Futa is tough and excels in "riding" but her stand up game is not her strong point.