2015 Wrestling Speculation and Nonsense

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
OldManJenkins
High-quality H20 provider

Re: 2015 Wrestling Speculation and Nonsense

Post by OldManJenkins »

Shocker-
Takenaka (Iol) unseeded ended up in the finals. I have to admit I thought Ikei would have the easy victory. I even saw Takenaka with the reverse pin, if he held it half a second longer Akeo would have seen it and called it.

Agree with the Ng match.

113 class. Kato is a warrior, he could barely walk around outside but he sucked it up and battled on.

Respect: A friend told me about the moanalua kid at 160 (Palimoo). He was going to forfeit the finals match due to personal injury but in the end wanted to finish his career on the mat. Went out and wrestled for a bit then conceded the match.
The Almighty GrumpyOldManJenkins coaching from right field is back.. and older

twnoexcuses
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by twnoexcuses »

OldManJenkins wrote:Shocker-
Takenaka (Iol) unseeded ended up in the finals. I have to admit I thought Ikei would have the easy victory. I even saw Takenaka with the reverse pin, if he held it half a second longer Akeo would have seen it and called it.

Agree with the Ng match.

113 class. Kato is a warrior, he could barely walk around outside but he sucked it up and battled on.

Respect: A friend told me about the moanalua kid at 160 (Palimoo). He was going to forfeit the finals match due to personal injury but in the end wanted to finish his career on the mat. Went out and wrestled for a bit then conceded the match.
You mentioned four great reasons to take the time to be at States.

Kato, Palimoo, the Diamonds. Was a privilege to be there and witness the courage. Their stories are the reason wrestling should be respected. Watching them was both heartbreaking and inspiring.

Takenaka, Mimura, Fong, Aguigui, Villarmia. All of them are feel good stories. Aguigui worked his butt off to the championship match. The others ascend to be favorites in their league next year.

Ilabon, Ikei, Campos, Pasqua, St. John and Ludiazo. Dominance.

All demonstrated considerable class throughout the season and at States.

kauwildman
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by kauwildman »

Girls 225 Shavon Mello-Waiwaiole BIIF #2 took 4th at states, pinned #2 seed. The amazing story for Shavon is she had a baby by C section in September before returning to school and deciding to wrestle. Gotta be first mom to medal at states.

8LiLi8
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by 8LiLi8 »

BowTow wrote:Has Mataafa won any of her matches (so far in her career) by points or have they all been pinfalls? :D
She's won every match by pinfall so far in her career, all in the first round except for 2014 State Final which went to a 2nd period. :)

*Frozen3
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by *Frozen3 »

Congratulations to all wrestlers on a great season! Hope you all enjoyed it!

I notice you all talk about each of these athletes bragging on how many pins, matches, on what they accomplished, etc. which is fine as heck but, do they wish to continue wrestling on the next level? College, Olympics? or are they just the "make a name in high school" kinda athletes?

If they want to continue wrestling on the next level these athletes need to step up their game! The next level is a totally different scenario. It's sad that only a handful of Hawaii wrestlers who actually go onto to college make it. Harder training, different styles of wrestling, different wrestlers - all state champs, national champs, or placers. Everyone is a top seed therefore, it's a harder platform. Wrestling in HI is not the same anymore....boring matches, no "technicians" only muscle. (Well, only several technicians and not that great - behind the times) Like I said... boring!

All I'm saying is that if any of them want to continue, the training starts now! Actually, it should've started long time ago but, oh well.

This is a forum so, just my thoughts...

SportCourt
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by SportCourt »

*Frozen3 wrote:Congratulations to all wrestlers on a great season! Hope you all enjoyed it!

I notice you all talk about each of these athletes bragging on how many pins, matches, on what they accomplished, etc. which is fine as heck but, do they wish to continue wrestling on the next level? College, Olympics? or are they just the "make a name in high school" kinda athletes?

If they want to continue wrestling on the next level these athletes need to step up their game! The next level is a totally different scenario. It's sad that only a handful of Hawaii wrestlers who actually go onto to college make it. Harder training, different styles of wrestling, different wrestlers - all state champs, national champs, or placers. Everyone is a top seed therefore, it's a harder platform. Wrestling in HI is not the same anymore....boring matches, no "technicians" only muscle. (Well, only several technicians and not that great - behind the times) Like I said... boring!

All I'm saying is that if any of them want to continue, the training starts now! Actually, it should've started long time ago but, oh well.

You do realize that this is a highschool forum? not college, world or Olympics.

You almost sound like a wannabe coach who takes credit for kids that already won everything.

Lets just enjoy the high school season all these student athletes just had

this is a forum, just thoughts :P

1hawaii
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by 1hawaii »

So help Hawaii step up its game then Frozen3. Let's do this in 2016:

http://assets.ngin.com/attachments/docu ... Packet.pdf

If we are not ready for that then lets start with middle school duals at regionals this summer. We are All In! Let's go Hawaii! Three years ago we were supposed to coordinate 4 Team Hawaii practices on each Island with a youth Team Hawaii component. We (Maui) did and we are going in force this year. Calling everyone and anyone to unite and smash the mainland already. All this division is hurting our kids and THEIR future.
2015 June 19-26 West Regionals
2016 Hawaii Schoolboy National Dual Team
2017 Hawaii Cadet National Dual Team
2018 Hawaii Junior National Dual Team
2019 A Fargo Team seasoned for battle!
ONE HAWAII!!!

twnoexcuses
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by twnoexcuses »

*Frozen3 wrote:Congratulations to all wrestlers on a great season! Hope you all enjoyed it!

That post is BS.

If there is ANY athlete in the US right now that SHOULD NOT be measured by whether they go on to participate in college, it is the wrestler.

I read a statistic indicating that only 3%-4% of high school wrestlers nationwide go on to wrestle in college. And, out of that number, the vast, vast majority are paying substantially to go to college, instead of enjoying the mythical full college scholarship rosters reserved for football and basketball teams of both genders. So, your criticism is of wrestlers nationwide.

Wrestling is a sport with little to no institutional support, is, as we all know, as physically arduous a sport as there is, and no money at the end of the rainbow. On one hand, those things make it a low interest sport (through NO FAULT OF THE KIDS WHATSOEVER). On the other hand, it speaks to the tremendous amounts of work ethic and character it takes to participate.

Frankly, TONS (literally) of kids leave Hawaii to get football scholarships to college, and many do very well in football. But, if a high school wrestler and a football player walk into a room, and I have to hire one or the other without any further information, I take the wrestler ("make a name in high school" kinda athletes" or not).

1hawaii
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by 1hawaii »

BowTow

Post by BowTow »

8LiLi8 wrote:
BowTow wrote:Has Mataafa won any of her matches (so far in her career) by points or have they all been pinfalls? :D
She's won every match by pinfall so far in her career, all in the first round except for 2014 State Final which went to a 2nd period. :)
Thanks 8LiLi8. I don't follow wrestling closely but it will be interesting to see her finishes her senior year undefeated with all pins. Say what they will about the competitive level of the girls at 220 pounds but to go four years undefeated and all wins by pins is still an incredible achievement. Has anyone done that?

Read somewhere that she hopes to play water polo in college. :D

Tada
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by Tada »

What grades are the state placers in the 132 and 138 classes? Had some good matches !

talloola25
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by talloola25 »

132:
1st-Junior, 2nd-Freshman, 3rd-Junior, 4th-Senior, 5th-Senior, 6th-Sophomore

138:
1st-Senior, 2nd-Senior, 3rd-Junior, 4th-Junior, 5th-Junior, 6th-Senior

MauiGuy
Pine rider
Pine rider