unpaid D-II football

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
kawai60
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Re: unpaid D-II football

Post by kawai60 »

Had a chance to check out that NANAKULI team this past game when they played Roosevelt.I was thoroughly impressed.they have a high powered passing offense and a smashmouth running game.they also have a stingy defense which is anchored by 6'3 290Ib d-lineman Lyle tuiloma.I could see them winning the D-II title this year.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

Week Four,

1.Lahainaluna 3-0
2.Iolani 2-0
3.Pearl City 3-0
4.Kamehameha-Hawaii 1-0 beating Konawaena gives the Warriors an edge in BIIF D-II for now
5.Kapaa 1-1 Convincing win against a new and improved Waimea team.
6.Konawaena 1-1
7.Pac-Five 2-0 Dynamic passing attack...can it still be so against St.Louis next weekend?
8.Nanakuli 2-0 Looking like a real contender for the OIA White crown.
9.Kalani 2-1
10.Hawaii Prep 1-2

Getreal$
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by Getreal$ »

unpaid wrote:Getreal$,

The muddy field conditions clearly affected what players could do.Typically,defenses will do well and both defenses kept the opposing offenses off balance.

The difference to me boiled down to Kamehemeha-Hawaii QB Micah Kanehailua. He was able to overcome the unsteady footing to have a hand in all three scores for his team.It is just what you should expect from a three-year starter who has seen his share of wind,rain,and mud on BIIF gridirons.

In the end,the conditions are just as muddy for both sides,and Kamehameha-Hawaii adjusted enough to take the win.Would the result have been different had the field been dry?I felt going into the season,that Konawaena and Kamehameha-Hawaii were pretty close in terms of ability,so I would have to think a dry field would not have made much difference and that the Warriors would have won on a dry field ,too.
Right on the money with your observations. I had a chance to talk to a couple of players on both sides and apparently when you go no hudle uptempo play, the ball is not wiped nor is it changed out by the refs. I guess that was the choice Coach Lyons made so he had to live with the results and inconsistant passing. I agree, QB Kanehailua was the difference but not having a preseason game also showed in the first quarter, as KS-Hawaii was way out of sync.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

Getreal$,

That is interesting info.It would be nice to hear from a refs point of view about up-tempo play in bad weather.I know that refs at least try to wipe the ball before putting it down for play in rainy weather...so I wonder why they would not do it for a team going no-huddle.Basically ,a ref has to handle the ball before it is placed down,so what if he has to wipe the ball more times than normal....they still have to touch the ball before each play anyways,so why not go ahead and wipe it?

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

Headliners this week,

The only teams I have this week that are ranked and play each other are Hilo and Kamehameha-Hawaii in a BIIF D-I vs D-II match-up.I like the Vikings over the Warriors.

What other games do you find interesting this weekend? Personally,I am curious as to how well St.Louis can defend against a Pac-Five passing attack that can gain 500 yards on any given weekend.

SRJC
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by SRJC »

Baldwin vs Lahainaluna 9/06/2014 is always a great game. I'm expecting it to be close game unlike last year when it was one sided.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

unpaid wrote:Headliners this week,

The only teams I have this week that are ranked and play each other are Hilo and Kamehameha-Hawaii in a BIIF D-I vs D-II match-up.I like the Vikings over the Warriors.

What other games do you find interesting this weekend? Personally,I am curious as to how well St.Louis can defend against a Pac-Five passing attack that can gain 500 yards on any given weekend.
Well, can Pac-Five gain 500 yards against a D1 team like St Louis? And, St Louis is a good passing team itself, AND it's a D1 team. St Louis SHOULD win. Pac-Five can make it close with its passing game, but close doesn't count.

Getreal$
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by Getreal$ »

unpaid wrote:Headliners this week,

The Hilo vs KS-Hawaii game, if the weather holds up, should be entertaining but Hilo should win easily. Hilo has the numbers (110 JV and Varsity), size, and talent pool to field a good team. KS-Hawaii on the other hand must pull it together to make this a game. Against Kona you could really tell they were playing their first game. The timing was off with receivers and the running backs miss read blocks and holes throughout the night. I'm not sure how much the sloppy field conditions played in all of that, but KS-Hawaii better get used to playing on grass since they only have three home games on their turf field.

One concern I have with Hilo is their undisciplined attitude, which led to three fights and player ejections in two games thus far this year, and also ended last year with a bench clearing brawl with Keaau. If KS-Hawaii can put up points early and get under the defense skin, the undisciplined attitudes might give KS-Hawaii a chance. With all the accolades given to Coach Baldwin, one glaring downfall for him is his lack of player discipline.

Hilo wins this one 35-21 (IF they don't lose their composure yet again)

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

Saturday thoughts,

Hilo dodged a bullet..Heh,heh!

More D-II vs D-I action with Baldwin and Lahainaluna. Bears are down and Lunas are flying high right now.

Getreal$
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by Getreal$ »

unpaid wrote:Saturday thoughts,

Hilo dodged a bullet..Heh,heh!

More D-II vs D-I action with Baldwin and Lahainaluna. Bears are down and Lunas are flying high right now.
KS-Hawaii is a team to watch, they played Hilo tough and if not for over 8-10 dropped balls on perfectly thrown passes, KS-Hawaii would have been up 34-7 at half! QB Kanehailua is the real deal in DII and they should be ranked higher in the polls.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

Week Five,

1.Lahainaluna 4-0 D-1 No.9 Maui next.
2.Iolani 2-0 DNP. St.Louis next
3.Pearl City 4-0
4.Kapaa 1-1
5.Konawaena 2-1
6.Kamehameha-Hawaii 1-1
7.Nanakuli 3-0
8.Kalani 3-1 No.10 Radford next.
9.Pac-Five 2-1
10.Radford 3-1 New to the top ten.No.8 Kalani next.

Kapaa and Kauai tangle next weekend...is it another classic in the making?Radford running the football....Hmmmm.I guess the Rams had no choice when QB 1a and 1b got benched for the first half.If there is a problem with team chemistry,that is not good heading into the Kalani game.

Getreal$
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by Getreal$ »

Okay, Konawaena ranked above Kamehameha Hawaii??? KS-Hawaii beat Kona 20-6 and took your 8th ranked DI Hilo into OT and quite frankly beat Hilo in every aspect of the game, but special teams. Now this makes absolutely no sense to me.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

I have given up trying to explain my ranking system.However,when someone has an intelligent interest in it ,I will try to explain why I ranked teams where I did. Here goes.....

If you have been following the thread,and I know you have,then you know I felt both teams are almost even in terms of talent. Kamehameha-Hawaii did beat Konawaena earlier.A week later,and Kamehameha-Hawaii loses to Hiio and Konawaena beats Keeau......

One more time ,wins and losses count for something,Kamehameha-Hawaii is 1-1 after a loss this weekend and Konawaena is 2-1 after a win this weekend.I am pretty hardcore about records and what a team did each week.
Kona and Kam are close in my book,and Konawaena won while Kam lost. Wildcats and Warriors are still within a few spots of each other just like I thought they would be.

Plenty of football to be played.Let's see what happens.

Getreal$
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by Getreal$ »

unpaid wrote:I have given up trying to explain my ranking system.However,when someone has an intelligent interest in it ,I will try to explain why I ranked teams where I did. Here goes.....

If you have been following the thread,and I know you have,then you know I felt both teams are almost even in terms of talent. Kamehameha-Hawaii did beat Konawaena earlier.A week later,and Kamehameha-Hawaii loses to Hiio and Konawaena beats Keeau......

One more time ,wins and losses count for something,Kamehameha-Hawaii is 1-1 after a loss this weekend and Konawaena is 2-1 after a win this weekend.I am pretty hardcore about records and what a team did each week.
Kona and Kam are close in my book,and Konawaena won while Kam lost. Wildcats and Warriors are still within a few spots of each other just like I thought they would be.

Plenty of football to be played.Let's see what happens.
Win against D1 Keaau is hardly what I would call a win, versus pushing Hilo to OT . But no explanation needed, I'm pretty open minded about these things. On another note, as I predicted early on, Honokaa will make life difficult and the standing interesting for all schools, as Waiakea found out yesterday and Hilo will this coming week. Konawaena better fix that passing game really fast or schools like Honokaa will punish the run.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

I think you have answered your question,if I wasn't able to. Kamehameha-Hawaii lost to Hilo,while Konawaena beat Keeau. If Kamehameha-Hawaii had defeated Hilo ,then they would have been shoo-ins to be ranked above Konawaeana again...didn't turn out that way. If Kam had beaten Hilo,they would still be ranked above Kona.

It is not my problem if I have two teams ranked close to each other and the loser winds up being ranked higher than the winner the following week because of on the field results.