unpaid D-II football

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
Getreal$
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Re: unpaid D-II football

Post by Getreal$ »

Not a problem Eight-0-Eight......Yes, actually I believe the style of play Pearl City and KS-Hawaii has demonstrated this season would make the DII playoffs a little more interesting. Not taking anything away from Kona or Nanakuli, but running against Kapaa and Lahainaluna will almost be impossible. Taamu and Kanehailua are two of the top DII quarterbacks and are statistically identical.

alleyezonme
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by alleyezonme »

Eight-0-Eight wrote:
alleyezonme wrote:The HHSAA will only seed the top 2 teams. Those teams are basically rewarded a first round bye. The remaining 4 teams will not get seeded. Home field will be alternated per year. It's probably how it's determined in those meetings anyway...just now, the committee doesn't have to justify who, how, why teams seeded 3-6. I believe Lahainaluna and Kapaa should get the top 2 seeds. First round games would be: Iolani @ OIA 1 and OIA 2 @ BIIF.
They definitely seed 1-4. http://sportshigh.com/sports/football/t ... II_bracket
What I'm trying to tell you is that beginning this year, they won't seed #3 and #4 like they did in the past. What does it matter to seed 3/4? The committee goes with matchups anyway then people complain when they see a team not worthly of the 3/4 seed. To give you an example: if Lahainaluna and Kapaa got 1 and 2, the remaining teams would be ILH, BIIF, OIA1 and OIA2. Problem is, you don't make the OIA play each other again. What the committee did in the past was purposely seed them so they would not matchup...which is as good as picking matchups and not saying who was 3 or 4 or 5 or 6. So beginning this year, they will only seed 1 and 2 and match the remaining teams up (basically what they've been doing). Conferences will host first round games in alternating fashion year to year.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

Football on Halloween...trick or treat for these teams!

No.3 Nanakuli and No.4.Pearl City. Chargers seem to be peaking,especially QB Taamu and the passing attack. Nanakuli just keeps grinding and winning.My view is that the Golden Hawks will not have a letdown this week because they are already in states. I expect the coaching staff has addressed that situation after Nanakuli failed to make states last year. My pick here is Nanakuli.

No.5 Konawaena and No.7 Kamehameha-Hawaii. Tough call...either team could win and represent the BIIF well at states. Warriors ,to me,have a slight edge at QB and the passing game. Konawaena is probably better on defense and running the football. Both coaching staffs are smart. So,when in doubt,I look to see who I have ranked higher.Going with the Wildcats here.

Getreal$
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by Getreal$ »

unpaid wrote:Football on Halloween...trick or treat for these teams!

No.3 Nanakuli and No.4.Pearl City. Chargers seem to be peaking,especially QB Taamu and the passing attack. Nanakuli just keeps grinding and winning.My view is that the Golden Hawks will not have a letdown this week because they are already in states. I expect the coaching staff has addressed that situation after Nanakuli failed to make states last year. My pick here is Nanakuli.

No.5 Konawaena and No.7 Kamehameha-Hawaii. Tough call...either team could win and represent the BIIF well at states. Warriors ,to me,have a slight edge at QB and the passing game. Konawaena is probably better on defense and running the football. Both coaching staffs are smart. So,when in doubt,I look to see who I have ranked higher.Going with the Wildcats here.
Nanakuli and Pearl City - I will go with Pearl City in a close game. Taamu and the passing game will eventually score one more TD than Nanakuli.

Konawaena and KS-Hawaii - Too bad both teams couldn't represent the Big Island as I feel their different styles could match up well with certain teams, however, one must lose. I agree KS has the edge at QB but I think it's a big edge and not a slight edge as Kanehailua has shown throughout the season he can pass and run when necessary. Kona has a decided edge on defense and a HUGE edge in coaching which I feel will be the deciding factor. I have Kona winning this one.

Side Note: Wouldn't it be great to have Nanakuli play KS-Hawaii with two Kanehailua QB cousins going up against each other?

reignjah11
Hall of famer
Hall of famer
MLB: Boston Red Sox
NBA: Dallas Mavericks
NFL: New England Patriots

Post by reignjah11 »

Wow what a game! Congrats to Nanakuli! The PC coach was to blame at the end though. After they scored the td in OT the pc coaches took too much time deciding what they wanted to do and it resulted in a costly delay of gm. Their kicking gm struggled all night long and that 5 yards proved to be the difference.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

Kudos to Nanakuli! I thought they were going to shoot themselves in the foot early on with all of those penalties.The Golden Hawks calmed down eventually and ground out a victory like they have all season long.

Week 13,

1.Lahainaluna 9-0
2.Kapaa 6-1
3.Nanakuli 10-0 OIA D2 champs.
4.Iolani 6-3
5.Kamehameha-Hawaii 7-2 BIIF D2 champs.
6.Pearl City 8-2 OIA D2 runner-up goes to states.
7.Konawaena 7-3 Season over
8.Hawaii Prep 5-5
9.Radford 6-4
10.Damien 4-5

Just waiting for the brackets to come out now.Getreal$ might get his wish to see the Kanehailua cousins leading their teams against each other. We will see.

Getreal$
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by Getreal$ »

unpaid wrote:Kudos to Nanakuli! I thought they were going to shoot themselves in the foot early on with all of those penalties.The Golden Hawks calmed down eventually and ground out a victory like they have all season long.

Week 13,

1.Lahainaluna 9-0
2.Kapaa 6-1
3.Nanakuli 10-0 OIA D2 champs.
4.Iolani 6-3
5.Kamehameha-Hawaii 7-2 BIIF D2 champs.
6.Pearl City 8-2 OIA D2 runner-up goes to states.
7.Konawaena 7-3 Season over
8.Hawaii Prep 5-5
9.Radford 6-4
10.Damien 4-5

Just waiting for the brackets to come out now.Getreal$ might get his wish to see the Kanehailua cousins leading their teams against each other. We will see.
I guess I was wrong about Konawaena out coaching KS-Hawaii, KS-Hawaii's DC did an awesome job preparing the kids for anything Kona had planned on offense. The weather was horrible and limited KS-Hawaii's passing game, but they made up for it by hard running and timely passing when it counted. Didn't stay for the whole game because it was dumping rain hard, but at half I knew it was only going to get worse for Kona with Kanehailua managing and controlling the clock.

Congratulations to KS-Hawaii and Nanakuli for winning their respective division championships and yes, now the Kanehailua cousins will meet at KS-Hawaii on Saturday.

FatherofCody&Casey
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by FatherofCody&Casey »

I saw the brackets for the D2 state tournament. Top seeds are Lahainaluna and Iolani. What'll make people complain about the brackets again are the placement of teams. Lahainaluna and Nanakuli could meet in the semis. Really? Two undefeated teams in the semis? Who decides this stuff? Anyway, Kapaa is the third seed and Nanakuli is the second. I know Nanakuli's had several close calls and will need to play at KS-Hawaii, but they deserve better.

Getreal$
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by Getreal$ »

DII playoffs-

Pearl City and Kapaa - This game is interesting as I believe both teams come in with different styles. Pearl City can move the ball pretty efficient through the air and ground, but their defense needs to get stops or turnovers to give the offense opportunities to score. Kapaa is tough on defense and can run the ball pretty well to control the clock. If Kapaa can score early and keep Pearl City off the field, Kapaa will win. If Pearl City gets up early and forces Kapaa to the air, having only 80 attempts all year could be a problem. I think the latter will happen so I will go with PC.

Nanakuli and KS-Hawaii - Nanakuli is unbeaten for a reason. Their QB and RB are very good and their defensive players cover ground and make plays all game long. KS- Hawaii will have their work cut out and will need to play a perfect game to have a chance to win. Even at that, Nanakuli may be just too much for them to handle. I will say this, KS-Hawaii's season schedule pits them against both DI and DII teams. The DII teams on this Island and at least two of the DI teams outside of Hilo, are good competitive teams that gave KS-Hawaii tough games. Konawaena could very well be represented here this week but KS-Hawaii pretty much dismantled them and lets not forget the OT loss to Hilo that KS-Hawaii was up 20-7 at half. Okay, with that said I will go with Nanakuli.

Naue
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by Naue »

D-ll Playoffs:
Two very intriguing games.
Pearl City taking on Kapa'a and Nanakuli traveling to the Big Island to face KS-Hawaii.
I wish I could watch both these games. New faces over the line of scrimmage facing each other.
PC players gotta be pumped up after that devastating loss in an overtime thriller against Nanakuli.
If PC can't keep Kapaa's offense off the field then I think it will be a long night for the Chargers...but...I think
the Chargers will pull this one out.
KS looks to be a formidable opponent for the Golden Hawks of Nanakuli. I think Nanakuli's weakness will be their pass defense. Receivers routinely get over the top on them which is why I was surprised PC didn't pass more on the Golden Hawks. If KS figures that out then Nanakuli will be ousted. Running on Nanakuli will be out of the question with that defense led by linebacker Randy Manewa. My heart says Nanakuli but being that KS plays a spread offense, I think Nanakuli will succumb to KS passing game. I'm gonna go with KS-Hawai'i on this game.
"when they show you their true colors, believe them"

FatherofCody&Casey
Pine rider
Pine rider

KS-Hawaii 42, Nanakuli 20

KS-Hawaii is still riding the wave of momentum and confidence after last week's win over Konawaena. Will it help them against Lahainaluna?

Getreal$
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by Getreal$ »

FatherofCody&Casey wrote:KS-Hawaii 42, Nanakuli 20

KS-Hawaii is still riding the wave of momentum and confidence after last week's win over Konawaena. Will it help them against Lahainaluna?
No, they're actually pretty good and not only did they demolish Kona twice this season, they also took Hilo into OT and lost a heartbreaker with a fumble at the one. Maybe just maybe KS-Hawaii will get some respect, well the BIIF for that matter.

As for Lahainaluna, they're the number one team for a reason. KS-Hawaii will be a heavy underdog, but like most of this season, once again, no one will give them a chance. Just the way they like it.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

Week 14,

1.Lahainaluna 9-0
2.Kapaa 7-1 beat Pearl City
3.Iolani 6-3 No.2 Kapaa next.
4.Kamehameha-Hawaii 8-2 defeated Nanakuli.
5.Nanakuli 10-1 Season over
6.Pearl City 8-2 Season over
7.Konawaena 7-3
8.Hawaii Prep 5-5
9.Radford 6-4
10.Damien 4-5

To me,Kapaa-Iolani is the more interesting game next week. After all those consecutive D-II titles,will Iolani get sent home in the semi-finals for a second year in a row? Iolani and Kapaa have both shown the capability of making game-winning adjustments.This should be a real chess match.

Lahainaluna and Kamehameha-Hawaii would appear to be a little easier to pick a winner....but recent weeks have shown that you can't count the Warriors out.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

Kapaa vs Iolani,

The Iolani mystique took a big blow from Kauai last year.Kapaa has the kind of team that can beat the Raiders also. Where Kauai could grind it out rushing,Kapaa can run and pass if needed. Coach Look and Coach Rapozo both seem to be capable of making game-winning adjustments on the fly so this should be a close exciting game. Picking Kapaa.

Lahainaluna vs Kamehameha-Hawaii,

Lahainaluna got bumped in the second round last year by Kaiser...don't think the Lunas plan on getting bumped in their first tourney game this year. The Warriors can run and pass so they can create problems for the Lunas if Kamehameha-Hawaii gets up early. On the other hand,Lahainaluna is not going to create many turnover opportunities by airing the rock out in a passing attack. Picking Lahainaluna here....much more recent states experience and plenty of battle hardened seniors.

FatherofCody&Casey
Pine rider
Pine rider

Hate to see this, but Kapaa needs a lot of things to go their way to overcome their deficit against the only D1 team in the D2 state tournament.

With that being the case, should Lahainaluna or KS-Hawaii play Iolani, has either team got the defense to stop them? I've heard about the offensive stars and explosiveness both teams possess, but they'll need a great defensive performance to shut down the Raiders. Lahainaluna's great defensive performances have come against less-than-spectacular Maui teams and a solid Kapaa team. KS-Hawaii should test them today. But Iolani possesses an offense that's much better than most D1 teams. Can either Lahainaluna or KS-Hawaii win in a shootout vs. Iolani?