unpaid D-II football

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: unpaid D-II football

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

FatherofCody&Casey wrote:Hate to see this, but Kapaa needs a lot of things to go their way to overcome their deficit against the only D1 team in the D2 state tournament.

With that being the case, should Lahainaluna or KS-Hawaii play Iolani, has either team got the defense to stop them? I've heard about the offensive stars and explosiveness both teams possess, but they'll need a great defensive performance to shut down the Raiders. Lahainaluna's great defensive performances have come against less-than-spectacular Maui teams and a solid Kapaa team. KS-Hawaii should test them today. But Iolani possesses an offense that's much better than most D1 teams. Can either Lahainaluna or KS-Hawaii win in a shootout vs. Iolani?
Well, isn't Lahainaluna ranked #1 in the D2 rankings? If those polls are worth their salt, you would think Lahainaluna could.

FatherofCody&Casey
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by FatherofCody&Casey »

HS Football Fanatic wrote:
FatherofCody&Casey wrote:Hate to see this, but Kapaa needs a lot of things to go their way to overcome their deficit against the only D1 team in the D2 state tournament.

With that being the case, should Lahainaluna or KS-Hawaii play Iolani, has either team got the defense to stop them? I've heard about the offensive stars and explosiveness both teams possess, but they'll need a great defensive performance to shut down the Raiders. Lahainaluna's great defensive performances have come against less-than-spectacular Maui teams and a solid Kapaa team. KS-Hawaii should test them today. But Iolani possesses an offense that's much better than most D1 teams. Can either Lahainaluna or KS-Hawaii win in a shootout vs. Iolani?
Well, isn't Lahainaluna ranked #1 in the D2 rankings? If those polls are worth their salt, you would think Lahainaluna could.
Yes. Fact is though, Iolani's played tougher competition. Also, KS-Hawaii ain't a gimme win by any means.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

FatherofCody&Casey wrote:

Yes. Fact is though, Iolani's played tougher competition. Also, KS-Hawaii ain't a gimme win by any means.
Yeah, I'm still surprised that KS-Hawaii smashed Nanakuli. I think Nanakuli had the best D in the OIA D2, so for KS-Hawaii to score that many points on them, tells us that they just might be able to engage in a shootout with Iolani. Also, I suspect that Nanakuli's D is just as good as Iolani's D, if not slightly better.

FatherofCody&Casey
Pine rider
Pine rider

Spoke too soon. Lahainaluna demolishing KS-Hawaii 38-7 at the half. While I wouldn't concede the victory to them just yet, there is little chance they'll lose at this point. What they'll need next week is confidence and great defense. They've got the offense, but will their defense stop Iolani?

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

FatherofCody&Casey wrote:Spoke too soon. Lahainaluna demolishing KS-Hawaii 38-7 at the half. While I wouldn't concede the victory to them just yet, there is little chance they'll lose at this point. What they'll need next week is confidence and great defense. They've got the offense, but will their defense stop Iolani?
Don't forget that KS-Hawaii smashed Nanakuli, which probably had the best D in the OIA D2. Right now, Lahainaluna is smashing KS-Hawaii, 45-7. The question may not be: Can Lahainaluna's D stop Iolani? The question might be: Can Iolani's D stop Lahainaluna? I think the answer is no. I think Lahainaluna can beat Iolani next week.
Last edited by HS Football Fanatic on Sat Nov 15, 2014 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FatherofCody&Casey
Pine rider
Pine rider

FatherofCody&Casey wrote:Spoke too soon. Lahainaluna demolishing KS-Hawaii 38-7 at the half. While I wouldn't concede the victory to them just yet, there is little chance they'll lose at this point. What they'll need next week is confidence and great defense. They've got the offense, but will their defense stop Iolani?
Don't forget that KS-Hawaii smashed Nanakuli, which probably had the best D in the OIA D2. Right now, Lahainaluna is smashing KS-Hawaii 45-7. The question may not be: Can Lahainaluna's D stop Iolani? The question might be: Can Iolani's D stop Lahainaluna? I think the answer is no. I think Lahainaluna can beat Iolani next week.
One can only hope. The last thing we need is another Iolani championship that's as legit as Lennay Kekua.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

FatherofCody&Casey wrote:
Don't forget that KS-Hawaii smashed Nanakuli, which probably had the best D in the OIA D2. Right now, Lahainaluna is smashing KS-Hawaii 45-7. The question may not be: Can Lahainaluna's D stop Iolani? The question might be: Can Iolani's D stop Lahainaluna? I think the answer is no. I think Lahainaluna can beat Iolani next week.
One can only hope. The last thing we need is another Iolani championship that's as legit as Lennay Kekua.
Oh, I think it's more than just a matter of mere hope. The pollsters have Lahainaluna at #1 in the D2 polls, and I think their judgment is sound. For Lahainaluna to be demolishing KS-Hawaii the way it is now, is amazing. Keep in mind that KS-Hawaii and Iolani are similar: Both teams have a big O-line and a good passing game. I'm not saying that Lahainaluna would demolish Iolani, but I see no reason why they wouldn't beat them. Right now, I think Iolani has a lot more to worry about than does Lahainaluna.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

Week 15,

1.Lahainaluna 10-0
2.Iolani 7-3
3.Kapaa 7-2 Season over
4.Kamehameha-Hawaii 8-3 Season over.
5.Nanakuli 10-1
6.Pearl City 8-2
7.Konawaena 7-3
8.Hawaii Prep 5-5
9.Radford 6-4
10.Damien 4-5

Lahainaluna must have been about indestructable to drub Kamehameha-Hawaii like they did. Iolani is going to have some work to do to compete in the final

My impression is that Lahainaluna has vastly improved from last year...and will probably be crowned D-II champs.The motivation is there for the Luna seniors especially.Still have to play it.

Getreal$
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by Getreal$ »

Okay, since KS-Hawaii lost and the BIIF post season is over, this will be my last post.

Lahainaluna is a well oiled and well disciplined team full of experienced athletes with both size and speed. You add on experienced coaching and you have a championship team. KS-Hawaii found out pretty quick that lack of preparation and adjustments and understanding, along with game planning is at another level for a program like Lahainaluna.

To sum up the night, Lahainaluna pretty much showed KS-Hawaii you are not going to beat us by passing. They dropped 8 and rushed 3 all night and dared KS-Hawaii QB Kanehailua to throw. Obviously after the first two interceptions of those long lateral screens, you would think they would not throw it, however, KS-Hawaii threw it several more times which resulted in three Int. I could hear Kanehailua yelling to the sidelines not to call those plays since the corners would jump those passes, but it was too late, once the pass was release to a receiver standing over 25 yards away, the corners just stepped in front for easy picks. Awesome display of game preparation and scouting 101.

Congratulations to KS-Hawaii on an awesome season. I had you as my sleeper team at the start of the season.

Too bad Lahainaluna wasn't competing at the DI level, as I witnessed a very good team get dismantled and destroyed by a superior team that could quite possibly give most DI playoff teams a run for their money.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

Iolani up 24-6 with a little less than a quarter and a half left. Hate to say it ,but Lahainaluna probably doesn't have the game left to overcome that deficit on the ground.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

I think it is time for Lahainaluna to scrap the wing-T and join the 21st century.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

Week 16,

1.Iolani 8-3 thrashed Lahainaluna for the D-II title
2.Lahainaluna 10-1
3.Kapaa 7-2
4.Kamehameha-Hawaii 8-3
5.Nanakuli 10-1
6.Pearl City 8-2
7.Konawaena 7-3
8.Hawaii Prep 5-5
9.Radford 6-4
10.Damien 4-5

Another title for Iolani...yawn.Like I said before,Lahainaluna needs to update their offensive schemes and join the 21st century.

Getreal$
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by Getreal$ »

unpaid wrote:Week 16,

1.Iolani 8-3 thrashed Lahainaluna for the D-II title
2.Lahainaluna 10-1
3.Kapaa 7-2
4.Kamehameha-Hawaii 8-3
5.Nanakuli 10-1
6.Pearl City 8-2
7.Konawaena 7-3
8.Hawaii Prep 5-5
9.Radford 6-4
10.Damien 4-5

Another title for Iolani...yawn.Like I said before,Lahainaluna needs to update their offensive schemes and join the 21st century.
Thanks Unpaid, for providing us football fans a great topic to comment on. 2014 DII season was fun to follow and I must say with a few teams stepping up this year, it made for some good debates. In the end, superior coaching and game prep with a team full of intelligent players prevailed yet again. Lahainaluna seemed one step slower and a little out of sync from what I saw last week, but the Iolani game plan was spot on as they dissected that defense.

JetTrOpt
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by JetTrOpt »

That Lahainaluna gameplan was a joke. No adjustments whatsoever. Iolani was daring them for throw but Lunas never till like the last second. I understand setting up playaction, but you gotta do something with that when the other team get 8 guys in the box. I was surprised at the cushion that they was giving the Iolani receivers. Jim On doesn't have the strongest arm out there, Iolani is fine with dinking and dunking down the field.