unpaid D-II football

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
bandits1
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Re: unpaid D-II football

Post by bandits1 »

Yeah, tough call between Konawaena and KSH. On one hand, I can see unpaid's point about best overall record/win % counting for a lot. That and how they performed this past week since this is a weekly ranking. As far as rankings go, it doesn't matter much how "tough" a D2 team played a D1 team if they end up losing the game. Winning = winning regardless of opponent and losing = losing regardless of opponent...bottom line. I don't see a column in anybody's top 10 ranking for moral victories.

On the other hand, I can also see Getreal$' argument about KSH having beat Konawaena head-to-head. Head-to-head results are pretty much the final word when trying to figure out which of two teams is the better one.

The difficulty here is we're not sorting out just two teams, we're trying to sort them all out and ranking the current 10 best from week-to-week. But like unpaid said, there's still lots of football to be played and top 10 rankings are only valid for 4 to 6 days, depending on when it comes out, and then sometime late every Saturday night all new rankings have to start to be compiled.
Last edited by bandits1 on Sun Sep 07, 2014 5:57 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Getreal$
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by Getreal$ »

Unpaid- It's all good, just my opinion. Lots of football to be played and KS-Hawaii plays their third game against another top BIIF Team this week against Kealakehe and Konawaena will be starting their play against the tougher teams in two weeks. This year all DII teams are good and any team can pull off a win.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

Yes,it is good.Fall is my favorite sports season.Football,then basketball starting up in late fall.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

Gentlemen: Think it's important to remember that rankings are supposed to indicate how GOOD a team is. Therefore, a team's RECORD cannot be the be-all and end-all. You HAVE to look at who they played. St Louis, for example, is what, 1-3? But look at who those three losses were against. Would we necessarily rank a 2-2 team above St Louis? Even the COLLEGE polls look at strength-of-schedule.

bandits1
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by bandits1 »

How about when referring to St Louis or any ILH team, we not include their victories over D2 teams? As far as St Louis goes, it's looking like it's entirely possible they'll finish the regular season without a beating a single D1 team. I don't care who you played or how competitive your league is, you absolutely cannot not have a single win against a team that's actually in your division and still expect to be ranked. Maybe they'll show up during the ILH playoffs, maybe not, but until they beat somebody that matters I'm 100% fine with them not making the top 10.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

bandits1 wrote:How about when referring to St Louis or any ILH team, we not include their victories over D2 teams? As far as St Louis goes, it's looking like it's entirely possible they'll finish the regular season without a beating a single D1 team. I don't care who you played or how competitive your league is, you absolutely cannot not have a single win against a team that's actually in your division and still expect to be ranked. Maybe they'll show up during the ILH playoffs, maybe not, but until they beat somebody that matters I'm 100% fine with them not making the top 10.
Now you have to consider strength of CONFERENCE. Look at St Louis' opponents in ILH D1: Punahou and Kamehameha. Take ALL the D1 schools in the OIA: HOW MANY of them would win the ILH D1 title, if they were somehow placed in that conference? Probably none of them. Even Mililani probably wouldn't get past Punahou. Again, we cannot go by record alone. We have to consider not only strength of schedule, but strength of conference as well. A top-ten poll should give us the top teams in the state, 1 through 10, REGARDLESS of league / conference. I.e., imagine that ALL D1 / Red teams on Oahu were in the SAME super-conference. THEN we might have a REAL top-ten poll. But even THEN, you'd STILL have to look at who each team played at that point. For example, what if a team were 5-0, but hadn't played Punahou or Mililani yet? You can't even consider ranking that team #1, right? Again, this isn't about ILH v OIA; it's: WHICH are the top ten teams, REGARDLESS of league. This is not a rap against the OIA. To me, all that matters are the TEAMS, not the leagues. Personally, I have more interest in the TEAM than what LEAGUE it happens to be in.

politclyincrekt
Play Maker
Play Maker
NFL: Chicago Bears

Post by politclyincrekt »

Unpaid's top 10 rankings are done his way. And there is nothing wrong with the way he does it (he explains his process at least once a year). A school wins, they move up. A school loses, they move down. It's a set formula and it is one of many ways to rank a team. He also divides his rankings by Division. Unpaid's ranking is more like a sports standing. His ranking is very subjective and less open to interpretation (if you understand how he does it). My rankings are quite a bit different from his. I use a sports rating system (or power ranking system). I do not separate by division. I take into account strength of schedule, quality of wins/losses, etc. My system is significantly more complex than Unpaid's (especially later in the season). However, it is also more subjective and anyone can make a good argument against any ranking of any team on my list. Both systems have their merits and both systems have their demerits.

There isn't any definition of what a "ranking" is and isn't. Even the various FBS ranking systems do not match every single week. It is just the opinion and speculation of the author or authors for the enjoyment of the rest of us, the fans.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

politclyincrekt wrote:Unpaid's top 10 rankings are done his way. And there is nothing wrong with the way he does it (he explains his process at least once a year). A school wins, they move up. A school loses, they move down. It's a set formula and it is one of many ways to rank a team. He also divides his rankings by Division. Unpaid's ranking is more like a sports standing. His ranking is very subjective and less open to interpretation (if you understand how he does it). My rankings are quite a bit different from his. I use a sports rating system (or power ranking system). I do not separate by division. I take into account strength of schedule, quality of wins/losses, etc. My system is significantly more complex than Unpaid's (especially later in the season). However, it is also more subjective and anyone can make a good argument against any ranking of any team on my list. Both systems have their merits and both systems have their demerits.

There isn't any definition of what a "ranking" is and isn't. Even the various FBS ranking systems do not match every single week. It is just the opinion and speculation of the author or authors for the enjoyment of the rest of us, the fans.
Points well taken. I do also agree with your practice of not separating by division, because sometimes the top team in the "lower" division is better than the bottom team in the "higher" division.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

Saturday thoughts,

Kapaa seems to be in the drivers seat in the KIF. Kauai and Waimea just haven't been able to elevate their play enough so far this season.We shall see.

The Lahainaluna-Maui game should be a good one.Both of these teams feature the ground game.The Lunas can mix it up a little with airstrikes.I am not sure that Maui has shown the ability to score by air yet this year.It should be a huge plus for Lahainaluna if they need to go that route.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

Week Six,

1.Lahainaluna 5-0 Lunas shut out D-I Maui 14-0 Does round two get closer?
2.Pearl City 4-0 DNP No.8 Radford next.
3.Iolani 2-1 lost to D-I St.Louis No.9 Pac-Five next.
4.Kapaa 2-1
5.Konawaena 3-1
6.Kamehameha-Hawaii 2-1
7.Nanakuli 4-0
8.Radford 4-1 No.2 Pearl City next.
9.Pac-Five 2-1 DNP No.3 Iolani next.
10.Kalani 3-2

After a couple of quiet weeks,a few games start to shake out the various league standings. I look for Iolani to beat Pac-FIve and assert themselves in ILH D-II again this year.Radford and Pearl City are contenders for the two OIA D-II slots,so a loss isn't fatal yet,but a win is always better.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

Headliners this week,

No.2 Pearl City vs. No.8 Radford. I think the Chargers are more solid all around. This deal about the top two QB.S being benched for a half tells me the Rams have some issues that will be distractions that will keep them from being really focused ,unless Coach Salanoa has made his point. Going with the Chargers in this one.

No.3 Iolani vs. No.9 Pac-Five. Looks to me like Iolani will rule ILH D-II yet again.

Birdman316
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by Birdman316 »

I think today's game between Iolani and PacFive will prove that Iolani's got as much business playing D2 as a 35-year old man's got flirting with a teenage girl!

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Birdman316 wrote:I think today's game between Iolani and PacFive will prove that Iolani's got as much business playing D2 as a 35-year old man's got flirting with a teenage girl!
Iolani seems to be in an awkward position: Too strong for D2, and too weak for D1.

bandits1
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by bandits1 »

What does "too weak" mean? Too weak to dominate in D1 like they do in D2? Too bad, so sad. Nobody said they'll move up and win, they just have to move up.

FatherofCody&Casey
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by FatherofCody&Casey »

bandits1 wrote:What does "too weak" mean? Too weak to dominate in D1 like they do in D2? Too bad, so sad. Nobody said they'll move up and win, they just have to move up.
I'm glad SOMEBODY understands. We need more people to see that Iolani AIN'T a D2 team. There are lots of OIA teams like them that play D1--the Castles, the Moanaluas. I bet Iolani thinks they're too small and afraid to play Kailua or Waipahu, even though they'd slaughter them!