unpaid D-1 football

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: unpaid D-1 football

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

reignjah11 wrote:
HS Football Fanatic wrote:
reignjah11 wrote:Apelu is playing according to this stat tracker. Del oro now lead 17-13 3rd qtr
I don't know how effective he is, with that hamstring. And, now Del Oro is ahead.
Seems like he's doin fine; 10 carries for 79 yds. Kamehameha now leads 19-17! I think regardless of the outcome this is a great showing for kamehameha against a very good del oro team (ranked 31 in CA, 199th in the nation)
Is that ranking THAT high? 199th in the nation doesn't sound THAT good to me, nor does 31st in CA.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

FatherofCody&Casey wrote:Kamehameha leading 25-17. Nevertheless, I wouldn't jump on the Kamehameha bandwagon and automatically put them ahead of the pack. Maybe this is the beginning of a down year for Del Oro. And remember, Iolani beat an Edison team coming off a state championship the year before and lost by 30 points to KS and SL later in the year in 2002. A real test will come against Iolani or St. Louis--whichever game comes first. But you can't deny that this boosts their confidence.
1. Do you think it's possible that Iolani might beat St Louis this year? Makes you wonder, when you consider that Iolani has a big O-line, while St Louis' D-line is somewhat weak. Obviously, the question is whether Iolani can stop St Louis' passing game.
2. I don't think it would be useful to jump on Kamehameha's bandwagon when they're in the same division as Punahou. I don't think Kamehameha has the offensive firepower to beat Punahou. Kamehameha's D is quite good, but the O just doesn't have enough punch. The O-line is too inexperienced, and the O doesn't seem to have outstanding receivers.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

reignjah11 wrote:Kamehameha now up 25-17 with about 2mins left! Dont see apelu in the play by play so maybe he reinjured his hamstring. Big win if kamehameha can hang on. Looks like theyll be a contender in the ILH.
If Apelu DID aggravate his hamstring injury, we have to question Cosbie's decision to play him in a preseason game. Perhaps he should have gone with Nakatsu as the starting RB for this game. As for Kamehameha being a contender in the ILH: Can ANYONE be considered a contender in ILH D1, with Punahou casting such a big shadow?

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

reignjah11 wrote:
FatherofCody&Casey wrote:Kamehameha leading 25-17. Nevertheless, I wouldn't jump on the Kamehameha bandwagon and automatically put them ahead of the pack. Maybe this is the beginning of a down year for Del Oro. And remember, Iolani beat an Edison team coming off a state championship the year before and lost by 30 points to KS and SL later in the year in 2002. A real test will come against Iolani or St. Louis--whichever game comes first. But you can't deny that this boosts their confidence.
Some concerns looking at the stats, godinet went 7-20 2ints. Gotta be better in the passing game.
Doesn't surprise me. Kamehameha hasn't had an outstanding QB since '09. Sometimes I think Sua-Godinet is more effective RUNNING the ball than THROWING it, which is pretty sad for a QB of a team that doesn't run the option or wishbone. I mean, Kamehameha had to be better in the passing game LAST year; they weren't. Here we are a year later, with the same QB, and they STILL aren't better in the passing game.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

dirtylickens wrote:Punahou may not be as good as the score shows. Kanawai Noa is an amazing prospect, and he put on quite the show in the first half, but that was the entire offense. They ran a few underneath routes and towards the end of the first half and beginning of 2nd half they were beginning to work more on their offensive schemes. Talaupapa should see a few more touches in my opinion, because the offense needs to be a bit more balanced. Why was Punahou still throwing the ball? Up 40 points, and Ane was still having the QB throw fades? St. Louis was dealt a rough hand with their first three games. I think Cal will have the program going in the next three years, you cant expect him to have immediate results with the leagues he's playing in.
By running-up the score, Ane may have landed himself on Lee's s**t list. I'm not sure that's a good place to be. Lee is a legendary coach, and St Louis is a strong football school. What goes around, comes around.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Rocket95 wrote:
dirtylickens wrote:Punahou may not be as good as the score shows. Kanawai Noa is an amazing prospect, and he put on quite the show in the first half, but that was the entire offense. They ran a few underneath routes and towards the end of the first half and beginning of 2nd half they were beginning to work more on their offensive schemes. Talaupapa should see a few more touches in my opinion, because the offense needs to be a bit more balanced. Why was Punahou still throwing the ball? Up 40 points, and Ane was still having the QB throw fades? St. Louis was dealt a rough hand with their first three games. I think Cal will have the program going in the next three years, you cant expect him to have immediate results with the leagues he's playing in.

I think Punahou not being as good as the score is the exact reason they were still throwing in the 3rd. The score could have been a lot higher but Tuliloa and his receivers didn't seem to have the right timing in the first half. Besides Noa long bombs Punahou seemed to struggle. Maybe because it was their first game maybe not. But if I was a coach and my first game is a regular season game and our offense timing is not where it should be, I'd probably work on it as much as can in a game situation while I can. There's no preseason for Punahou.

As for the Saints, well Tua is a bright spot for the future of that program. I actually thought Kuhns would have a big year this year along with Kobyashi being the deep threat and Cui being everything in between. But Kuhns and Kobayashi hasn't performed yet. All that speed... Cui doing good. I don't think Coach Lee is worried. He's still trying to put things together, from his coaches to his players. Once everybody is in place (which might be next year) St Louis will look like the Crusaders of the past. But I could be wrong. They could probably gel in the ILH playoffs and turn this thing around. They got some talented players.
I don't know; this looks like a down year for St Louis.

bandits1
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by bandits1 »

HS Football Fanatic wrote:By running-up the score, Ane may have landed himself on Lee's s**t list. I'm not sure that's a good place to be. Lee is a legendary coach, and St Louis is a strong football school. What goes around, comes around.
You could say the exact same thing to St. Louis in their heyday. They used to put up some crazy numbers on teams.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Swag43 wrote:Punahou didn't even have timing during the warm ups...lol yes I watch everything...lol Punahou was hampered by penalties and Lakalaka may have to get rid of his dance...Saints linebackers are to close to the D-line they get washed up even when filling the right hole...plus you don't want your LBs to close to where they late dropping into coverage...Needs Blitz packages for pressure since the D-Line can't get it done...gotta mix up coverages instead of obvious one on one...SL do have the talent and chance to turn things around...I don't know if anyone seen what I've seen but the SL RB is talented....get a fullback in front of him and work towards balance instead of heavily relying on the Tua's arm and the spread offense....
You've made some excellent observations on St Louis' D. Hope their DC reads your post.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

bandits1 wrote:
HS Football Fanatic wrote:By running-up the score, Ane may have landed himself on Lee's s**t list. I'm not sure that's a good place to be. Lee is a legendary coach, and St Louis is a strong football school. What goes around, comes around.
You could say the exact same thing to St. Louis in their heyday. They used to put up some crazy numbers on teams.
Well, that's true. I remember back in the early-'90s, St Louis used to ABUSE Damien, beating them by 60 or 70 points sometimes.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

fanoffb wrote:I'm curious to see Kamehameha this year. Their game against St. Louis in 3 weeks will tell us a lot about St. Louis' progression.
The only thing Kamehameha has on O is Apelu, and he has a hamstring injury. Kamehameha will be heavily defense-oriented, with Tafua at DE and Kane at DB (once his forearm injury heals).

fanoffb
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by fanoffb »

HS Football Fanatic wrote:
bandits1 wrote:
Well, that's true. I remember back in the early-'90s, St Louis used to ABUSE Damien, beating them by 60 or 70 points sometimes.
St. Louis used to do this even in the last decade

fanoffb
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by fanoffb »

Swag43 wrote:Think of the Two blowouts...one against the 2nd rank in the country...the other against the number One in the state...Mililani is more than likely the best in the OIA....SL probably beats everyone else in exception of Kam going either way...
Maybe the poll should just be a top 5 if teams are just appearing by default

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

fanoffb wrote:
Swag43 wrote:Think of the Two blowouts...one against the 2nd rank in the country...the other against the number One in the state...Mililani is more than likely the best in the OIA....SL probably beats everyone else in exception of Kam going either way...
Maybe the poll should just be a top 5 if teams are just appearing by default
But a Top-5 poll would be too boring; not enough teams. A Top-10 poll is more interesting, and motivates more teams to get ranked because there are five more slots, making getting ranked more attainable.

FatherofCody&Casey
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by FatherofCody&Casey »

Does St. Louis play Iolani before Kamehameha?

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

FatherofCody&Casey wrote:Does St. Louis play Iolani before Kamehameha?
Yes. St Louis plays Iolani on Sat, Sep 13. Kamehameha plays Damien on Thu, Sep 11, and St Francis this coming weekend. So, St Louis plays Iolani before playing Kamehameha. There is a chance that St Louis might lose to Iolani. Iolani has a big O-line, which might overpower St Louis' D-line. Now, when was the last time THAT happened? I mean, Iolani DID beat St Louis a couple of times over the past 10 years, but NOT because their O-line overpowered St Louis' D-line. Not saying that Iolani WILL beat St Louis, but it certainly is a realistic possibility this year. I think you'd have to go back all the way to 1980 for the last time Iolani's O-line overpowered St Louis' D-line.