unpaid D-1 football

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Re: unpaid D-1 football

Post by unpaid »

Headliners this week,

No.2Mililani vs. No.5 Campbell. The way I see it ,Punahou is top level,Mililani is second level, everybody else is not close enough.Going with the Trojans here.

No.3Kamehameha vs. unranked St.Louis. Warriors have the better defense by far. Warriors can run by committee.Still looks like a Kamehameha victory to me.

No.4 Kahuku vs. No.10 Kaiser.Kaiser has only played one ranked team in my rankings and lost...that was Waianae ,who at the time was in the bottom half of my top ten. Don't think the Cougars are going to beat Kahuku ,who I have had in the upper half of my top ten this year.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

unpaid wrote:Headliners this week,

No.2Mililani vs. No.5 Campbell. The way I see it ,Punahou is top level,Mililani is second level, everybody else is not close enough.Going with the Trojans here.

No.3Kamehameha vs. unranked St.Louis. Warriors have the better defense by far. Warriors can run by committee.Still looks like a Kamehameha victory to me.

No.4 Kahuku vs. No.10 Kaiser.Kaiser has only played one ranked team in my rankings and lost...that was Waianae ,who at the time was in the bottom half of my top ten. Don't think the Cougars are going to beat Kahuku ,who I have had in the upper half of my top ten this year.
I still have the sneaking suspicion that St Louis is going to eke-out a win over Kamehameha. Yes, Kamehameha's D is tough, but St Louis' passing game is red-hot. I think an important factor is whether Kamehameha DB Kane has recovered from his forearm injury; he's their best DB. If HE isn't playing, I think Kamehameha's secondary will have more holes than a sieve, especially against St Louis' accurate passing game. By the way, why is St Louis unranked? We've mentioned their hot passing game, AND they beat ILH D2 favorite Iolani by 35 pts. Really, the way St Louis is playing now--especially their O--I think they should be ranked #7 or #8.
Last edited by HS Football Fanatic on Wed Sep 17, 2014 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

Kamehameha has been pretty good on defense without Kane.Good enough to give the Crusaders problems in the passing game.I think the advantage still goes to the Warriors.

Kamehameha has had players step up after Apelu went out for the season in the running game.To me ,these two conditions are enough for the Warriors to win.

The clincher is if Sua-Godinet puts together a rare stellar passing performance....that would be a lock for Kamehameha in this game.

This is week seven,and if you aren't able to play .500 football,you probably aren't going to be ranked in my system.Really,to me ,it's laughable that 1-3 teams were still being ranked by scoringlive and the StarAdvertiser.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

unpaid wrote:Kamehameha has been pretty good on defense without Kane.Good enough to give the Crusaders problems in the passing game.I think the advantage still goes to the Warriors.

Kamehameha has had players step up after Apelu went out for the season in the running game.To me ,these two conditions are enough for the Warriors to win.

The clincher is if Sua-Godinet puts together a rare stellar passing performance....that would be a lock for Kamehameha in this game.

This is week seven,and if you aren't able to play .500 football,you probably aren't going to be ranked in my system.Really,to me ,it's laughable that 1-3 teams were still being ranked by scoringlive and the StarAdvertiser.
1. Without Kane, Kamehameha's D is good only on the line; even their LBs are average.
2. 3 RBs have stepped-in for Apelu, but none of them are outstanding. I think they're only above-average at best.
3. As for Sua-Godinet passing well, I wouldn't hold my breath. He's very inconsistent; he did OK against Damien, but I'm assuming that St Louis has a better D than does Damien. Kamehameha has had over a year-and-a-half to develop a good and consistent passing game, but they haven't yet. That's despite having the same QB over that period.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

We shall see.

newguy
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by newguy »

unpaid wrote:Kamehameha has been pretty good on defense without Kane.Good enough to give the Crusaders problems in the passing game.I think the advantage still goes to the Warriors.

IMHO Kamehameha's Defense has been good because of the pressure/blitz packages that Coach Beatty has used in their games. The real question is how will the young St. Louis QB handle the pressure and the Blitz from Kamehameha will he handle it better than he did Punahou? This to me is the single biggest factor in the success (or lack thereof) of the St Louis Offense.

Lets be honest if Kamehameha needs Sua-Godinet to pass to win against St. Louis then Kamehameha will lose. He actually passes better when he runs so maybe roll outs with the threat of run? Either way Sua-Godinet is presently the best runner on the team and it isn't even close.

Finally, if we are going by rank then I guess Kamehmeha wins, but rank won't matter in this game. This game will be close, honestly it will come down to who wants it more, it sounds really cliche but that's my opinion and I'm sticking to it. The tougher team will win this contest.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

newguy wrote:

IMHO Kamehameha's Defense has been good because of the pressure/blitz packages that Coach Beatty has used in their games. The real question is how will the young St. Louis QB handle the pressure and the Blitz from Kamehameha will he handle it better than he did Punahou? This to me is the single biggest factor in the success (or lack thereof) of the St Louis Offense.

Lets be honest if Kamehameha needs Sua-Godinet to pass to win against St. Louis then Kamehameha will lose. He actually passes better when he runs so maybe roll outs with the threat of run? Either way Sua-Godinet is presently the best runner on the team and it isn't even close.

Finally, if we are going by rank then I guess Kamehmeha wins, but rank won't matter in this game. This game will be close, honestly it will come down to who wants it more, it sounds really cliche but that's my opinion and I'm sticking to it. The tougher team will win this contest.
1, My concern is Kamehameha's LBs; a blitz package works best when you have good LBs. Kamehameha lost its good LBs to graduation. Kamehameha's defensive front-seven clamped-down well on St Francis and Damien, but those are D2 teams, and relatively weak ones at that. Del Oro is the only D1 measure we have, and Kamehameha was lucky to come from behind late in the 4th qrtr to win it. So, we know that Kamehameha didn't exactly shut Del Oro down.
2, The St Louis QB was overwhelmed by Punahou's front-seven, but Punahou's front-seven is better than Kamehameha's.
3. I think Kamehameha will be able to run on St Louis' D-line, because that D-line is relatively small. Even D2 Iolani was able to run on St Louis. But Iolani's running game wasn't able to keep pace with St Louis' passing game. I suspect that the same might happen to Kamehameha. I think Kamehameha's O-line and RBs are better than Iolani's, so presumably Kamehameha should score more points than Iolani did. Also, I think Kamehameha's passing game is a little better than Iolani's; who knows, Kamehameha might score a TD through the air. But on the other side of the ball, how many points will St Louis' passing game be scoring? Though St Louis scored 55 points on Iolani, St Louis' 1st-string QB and / or offense wasn't in for the entire game. It's almost certain that the 1st-team O will be in for the entire game against Kamehameha. So, I agree the game should be close; I'm thinking St Louis by 7. Their passing game is amazing, and Kamehameha has lost #1 RB Apelu for the season. Does anyone know the status of Kane, Kamehameha's #1 DB? He had a forearm injury; don't know if it's healed yet, or whether he played last week against Damien.
4. I agree that the rankings don't matter, not only because of the cliche that rankings don't play, but because I think Kamehameha is overrated, and St Louis, underrated. Whomever ranked Kamehameha as high as he did, seems to have forgotten that Apelu is out for the season. Whomever ranked St Louis as low as he did, seems to have forgotten how crisp, precise, and well-oiled their passing game was against Iolani (not to mention that St Louis scored 55 pts). Right now, I think Kamehameha and St Louis should be TIED for #5.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Found-out about half an hour ago that Kane's injury HAS healed sufficiently--just in time for the St Louis game--so he'll play. He wasn't ready yet against Damien. Also learned that Kamehameha is getting two receivers back just in time for the St Louis game; don't know their names, how good they are, or why they were out.

2k_Hawaii
All-conference
All-conference
MLB: ATL Braves
NFL: SF 49ers

Post by 2k_Hawaii »

for those that are in the "know" how did Mililani became a now powerhouse? is it just transfers? coaching?
years ago when i went there they had 1 or two studs players and overall where decent team throughout the years but not at this current level.
also where did Malepeai transfer/come from?

kanakattack
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by kanakattack »

2k_Hawaii wrote:for those that are in the "know" how did Mililani became a now powerhouse? is it just transfers? coaching?
years ago when i went there they had 1 or two studs players and overall where decent team throughout the years but not at this current level.
Mililani always had stud skill position players-quarterbacks, receivers, running backs, defensive backs. Always among the top in the state. What they have now is a huge line to go with their great skill players.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

2k_Hawaii wrote:for those that are in the "know" how did Mililani became a now powerhouse? is it just transfers? coaching?
Don't want to claim to be "in the know," but I agree that Mililani only recently became a football powerhouse. HOW? I think the answer is: The arrival of York as HC. My understanding is that York IS recruiting. It seems crazy that a PUBLIC-school team is recruiting, but that's the reality. Now, York can't really use academics as a recruiting tool; Kalani, for example, has better academics as a school. I mean, Mililani is pretty high up there too, but isn't the best. Obviously, the hook is that Mililani has been a Top-FIVE football power the past two years. Good football players are transferring to Mililani primarily for football. College players might look at academics more closely, but most high school players look only at football. They're still kids, so to most of them a football championship usually means more than academics. Look at St Louis during the "Lee Dynasty" years of '86 to '99; throughout that period, Iolani and Punahou had better academics. (And this was before the D1 / D2 classification system, so Iolani didn't have the "D2 stigma" back then). But only St Louis could almost guarantee a football championship all those years. That's why so many good players transferred to St Louis all those years, and why St Louis won the championship all those years.

I think Malepeai transferred from St Louis. Someone please correct if that's wrong.

reignjah11
Hall of famer
Hall of famer
MLB: Boston Red Sox
NBA: Dallas Mavericks
NFL: New England Patriots

Post by reignjah11 »

HS Football Fanatic wrote:
Don't want to claim to be "in the know," but I agree that Mililani only recently became a football powerhouse. HOW? I think the answer is: The arrival of York as HC. My understanding is that York IS recruiting. It seems crazy that a PUBLIC-school team is recruiting, but that's the reality. Now, York can't really use academics as a recruiting tool; Kalani, for example, has better academics as a school. I mean, Mililani is pretty high up there too, but isn't the best. Obviously, the hook is that Mililani has been a Top-FIVE football power the past two years. Good football players are transferring to Mililani primarily for football. College players might look at academics more closely, but most high school players look only at football. They're still kids, so to most of them a football championship usually means more than academics. Look at St Louis during the "Lee Dynasty" years of '86 to '99; throughout that period, Iolani and Punahou had better academics. (And this was before the D1 / D2 classification system, so Iolani didn't have the "D2 stigma" back then). But only St Louis could almost guarantee a football championship all those years. That's why so many good players transferred to St Louis all those years, and why St Louis won the championship all those years.

I think Malepeai transferred from St Louis. Someone please correct if that's wrong.
^The back of the mililani coaches shirt says it all..."We don't rebuild, We Reload!"

reignjah11
Hall of famer
Hall of famer
MLB: Boston Red Sox
NBA: Dallas Mavericks
NFL: New England Patriots

Post by reignjah11 »

It seems kaiser is a legit D1 team. Giving kahuku all can handle right now, 19-13 kahuku on a fake punt pass for a td!

Rocket95
High-quality H20 provider
High-quality H20 provider

Post by Rocket95 »

reignjah11 wrote:

^The back of the mililani coaches shirt says it all..."We don't rebuild, We Reload!"
Well they say "imitation is the greatest form of flattery" and I believe Kahuku use to use that "We don't rebuild we reload" slogan. But the difference between Kahuku and Mililani is that Kahuku has won multiple State Championships. While Mililani hasn't won any. Another difference is Kahuku don't recruit while Mililani is built on recruits. So I guess Mililani 'a "RELOAD" is a reloading of recruits. Along with the top 3 ILH teams and a few OIA teams too. Sad, but that's just the name of the game.

huki-lau-lau
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by huki-lau-lau »

reignjah11 wrote:

lol, should be "we dont rebuild we recruit!"

campbell giving mililani a good game so far in the first half.
-------------------