First Football Games on OC16 2014 Season

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
OC16Dave
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

First Football Games on OC16 2014 Season

Post by OC16Dave »

Hello High School Sports Fans!

Hard to believe, but, the 2014 high school football season is just a month and a half away.

Since I know there are a lot of passionate football fans here, I thought I would provide you the first four weeks of TV football games on OC16.

• August 16 McKinley-Mililani 5pm / Waipahu-Farrington LATE @ Aloha Stadium
• August 22 Moanalua-Campbell 8pm @ Campbell
• August 29 Leilehua-Waianae 8pm @ Waianae
• Sept. 5 Kapolei-Moanalua 8pm @ Moanalua

Beyond September 5th, we're still figuring things out with the OIA and ILH.
But once I have games/times confirmed I'll post an update.

Have a great day...and much aloha to you all!
Dave Vinton
Director OC16 Sports

Optimus
High-quality H20 provider

Re: First Football Games on OC16 2014 Season

Post by Optimus »

Aloha Dave... As a fan of local sports, I have a request if you are still planning on games to show.
Could you please try to schedule a mixture of teams instead of us having to watch Kapolei, Mililani and Leilehua play 5 times, like in prior years. I already see that Moanalua is shown twice in two weeks. I know you are working hard at OC16, so mahalos.

rrforlifebaby
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by rrforlifebaby »

Optimus wrote:Aloha Dave... As a fan of local sports, I have a request if you are still planning on games to show.
Could you please try to schedule a mixture of teams instead of us having to watch Kapolei, Mililani and Leilehua play 5 times, like in prior years. I already see that Moanalua is shown twice in two weeks. I know you are working hard at OC16, so mahalos.
I agree with Optimus, but I also know from prior postings by Dave how the scheduling works.
would be nice to see a game or two from the neighbor Islands.

Go BiG REd!

FatherofCody&Casey
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by FatherofCody&Casey »

On the subject of schedules, has the ILH released its own? Iolani seems to have listed its schedule if you go to their website and calendar. Guess who they say they play? St. Francis. I thought St. Francis couldn't field a team.

kapakahi
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
Location: formerly SoCal (Long Beach, South Bay & the OC); relocated back to Honolulu

Post by kapakahi »

FatherofCody&Casey wrote:On the subject of schedules, has the ILH released its own? Iolani seems to have listed its schedule if you go to their website and calendar. Guess who they say they play? St. Francs. I thought St. Francis couldn't field a team.
ILH Schedule still tentative. Awaiting confirmation of scheduled game sites. Should be official by next week or so.

Indeed St. Francis is fielding a team this season.

saynotomercs
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by saynotomercs »

kapakahi wrote:
FatherofCody&Casey wrote:On the subject of schedules, has the ILH released its own? Iolani seems to have listed its schedule if you go to their website and calendar. Guess who they say they play? St. Francs. I thought St. Francis couldn't field a team.
ILH Schedule still tentative. Awaiting confirmation of scheduled game sites. Should be official by next week or so.

Indeed St. Francis is fielding a team this season.
Good for them

OC16Dave
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by OC16Dave »

Optimus wrote:Aloha Dave... As a fan of local sports, I have a request if you are still planning on games to show.
Hi Optimus! Sorry for the delay in responding. Thanks for posting and yes, we try to provide a mix but it does get complicated. It's a balancing act in scheduling games that grab the most eyeballs/cable boxes/interest while still trying to showcase as many teams as possible.

High viewership is important for the sponsors who pay a lot of money to fund these games.

Yet every team at every level works very hard…and in an ideal world deserves TV time.

But reality always interferes with the unlimited budget and wish of showing every single game out there…lol…

Sometimes games don't pan out the way we had hoped…remember they're usually picked weeks in advance. It's good in terms of getting the word and TV schedule out. It's bad when injuries to key players or the team just doesn't perform as expected. From week-5 on, we might try to "flex" schedule a bit more and not name matchups as early as we have traditionally done. But even that has pros and cons. The TV promos that air are due roughly two weeks before the actual game. So we'll see…still kicking around what we do.

This year will be interesting with the OIA's new format of non-geographical D1 divisions and seeing how competitive teams are from top down.

We'll do our best in consultation with the league and coaches to get the best TV schedule we can.

As always, thanks for being a fan of local prep sports and OC16.

Much aloha,
Dave

OC16Dave
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by OC16Dave »

rrforlifebaby wrote:
I agree with Optimus, but I also know from prior postings by Dave how the scheduling works.
would be nice to see a game or two from the neighbor Islands.

Go BiG REd!
Hey RRFORLIFEBABY - Trust me if we can get to the neighbor islands more, we will. Last season, we did our first MIL regular season game. That one featured Baldwin and Lahainaluna.

Traditionally we hit up Maui for the HHSAA 1st-Round game too.

Taking our show off of Oahu is roughly double the cost of a game on Oahu. Mainly because of air travel, barging over the production truck, and long work day (overtime) for the crew.

Maui works well for our travel because most of the crew files in on game day. We televise the game. Break everything down. And the bulk of the crew then flies back to Oahu on the last flight out of Kahului. That saves us from having to pay for hotel rooms and per diem.

Kauai has a nice late flight out but it's matchups are limited.

The Big Island would be a good place to revisit for football…we did a game at Kealakehe about seven years ago or so. Problem with the Big Island. Flight times. Hilo side…nothing late. Same for Kona.

We'll keep looking though!

Much aloha,
Dave

kapakahi
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
Location: formerly SoCal (Long Beach, South Bay & the OC); relocated back to Honolulu

Post by kapakahi »

OC16Dave wrote:Hello High School Sports Fans!

Hard to believe, but, the 2014 high school football season is just a month and a half away.

Since I know there are a lot of passionate football fans here, I thought I would provide you the first four weeks of TV football games on OC16.

Dave Vinton
Director OC16 Sports
Nothing against Moanalua or Campbell, but would've been nice to watch Saint Louis against SoCal power St. John Bosco @ Aloha Stadium.

rednblue
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by rednblue »

kapakahi wrote:

Dave Vinton
Director OC16 Sports
Nothing against Moanalua or Campbell, but would've been nice to watch Saint Louis against SoCal power St. John Bosco @ Aloha Stadium.
I was under the assumption that the STL/SJ Bosco game will be televised on a FSW channel similar to the STL/Bishop Gorman game two years back.

kapakahi
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by kapakahi »

rednblue wrote:
kapakahi wrote:Nothing against Moanalua or Campbell, but would've been nice to watch Saint Louis against SoCal power St. John Bosco @ Aloha Stadium.
I was under the assumption that the STL/SJ Bosco game will be televised on a FSW channel similar to the STL/Bishop Gorman game two years back.
Neither FSN West or Prime Ticket have made any announcements yet on whether they will televise the STL/SJ Bosco game or not. Either way I got that night marked on my schedule to head down to Aloha Stadium.

OC16Dave
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by OC16Dave »

kapakahi wrote:

Dave Vinton
Director OC16 Sports
Hi Kapakahi,
This game wasn't offered to us by the ILH or Saint Louis School. In the past, when Saint Louis had a high profile game, they did not want local TV. Thought being it would hurt their gate. We respect their decision and moved on. In any game scheduling, it's never just us saying give us this game, all stakeholders have a say to make it happen or not.

Aloha!
Dave

Getreal$
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by Getreal$ »

Well explained OC16Dave! We enjoy and appreciate all the games that are broadcasted by OC16, no matter what teams play. Keep up the great work!!!!

KindergartenCop

Post by KindergartenCop »

OC16Dave wrote:
kapakahi wrote:

Dave Vinton
Director OC16 Sports
Hi Kapakahi,
This game wasn't offered to us by the ILH or Saint Louis School. In the past, when Saint Louis had a high profile game, they did not want local TV. Thought being it would hurt their gate. We respect their decision and moved on. In any game scheduling, it's never just us saying give us this game, all stakeholders have a say to make it happen or not.

Aloha!
Dave

Dave,

will you be show the Saint Louis vs Mililani game?

OC16Dave
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by OC16Dave »

Hi KindergartenCop,
At this point, no, this game is not being looked at.

With budgets tight, the emphasis is on regular season games. Still waiting to hear from the ILH about which of their league games might be available.

Have a great long holiday weekend...much aloha!
Dave