Track and Field - States

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
letsgobows
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: Colorado Rockies
NBA: Denver Nuggets

Track and Field - States

Post by letsgobows »

any way to get a list of the qualifiers prior to tomorrow's event?
college football=drama for men.
GO WARRIORS!

OIAcoach
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Re: Track and Field - States

Post by OIAcoach »

OIA track 101 has the performance list.

letsgobows
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: Colorado Rockies
NBA: Denver Nuggets

Post by letsgobows »

great, thank you!
college football=drama for men.
GO WARRIORS!

Duster
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by Duster »

I heard that Seabury Hall may be able to take the team title on the girls side with 6 competitors - with Alyssa Bettendorf (sprints) and Dakota Grossman (distance) as potential gold medalists in multiple events. Maybe they can overcome the larger schools who have athletes competing in a lot of events, i.e., quality over quantity.

rrforlifebaby
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by rrforlifebaby »

Duster wrote:I heard that Seabury Hall may be able to take the team title on the girls side with 6 competitors - with Alyssa Bettendorf (sprints) and Dakota Grossman (distance) as potential gold medalists in multiple events. Maybe they can overcome the larger schools who have athletes competing in a lot of events, i.e., quality over quantity.
Kudo's to them if they can pull it off. They wouldn't be the first school to field a small squad and take states, but good for them if they pull it off.

bandits1
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by bandits1 »

With such a small squad they likely HAVE to gold in every event they compete in. Punahou can win team titles without a single girl getting gold(although they usually have at least a few) since they flood pretty much every single event except maybe the throwing ones with quality runners/jumpers who score points.

Duster
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by Duster »

It was great seeing the meet on OC-16. Kudos to all of the competitors. I don't recall seeing that many races decided at the finish line before. Good thing they had that photo finish camera there.

Seabury Hall pulled it out, too. Chalk one up for the smaller schools. Quality over quantity prevailed. The stars were aligned for them, and it was not even close.

Nice win for Kamehameha-Kapalama too. Dylan Kane's 100-200 double, Kaeo Kruse shattering the 3000 record by 10 seconds - and they'll be back next year.

budsdad
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by budsdad »

little bit of constructive criticism for the broadcast:
Several times they were interviewing athletes from a prior race and missed the start of a race.
at the finish line, the camera man would zoom in on the leader only and then would also cut away before everyone finished. You never saw a complete finish of a race. And with points allotted to the top 6 places, it would be nice to the camera stick to the race longer and zoom out so we can see how everyone finished.
To that point, I never saw individual race results posted on the TV after a race. otherwise, it's great to see the non-traditional sports on TV!

Getreal$
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by Getreal$ »

budsdad wrote:little bit of constructive criticism for the broadcast:
Several times they were interviewing athletes from a prior race and missed the start of a race.
at the finish line, the camera man would zoom in on the leader only and then would also cut away before everyone finished. You never saw a complete finish of a race. And with points allotted to the top 6 places, it would be nice to the camera stick to the race longer and zoom out so we can see how everyone finished.
To that point, I never saw individual race results posted on the TV after a race. otherwise, it's great to see the non-traditional sports on TV!
I couldn't agree more! I was also a little disappointed when the announcer kept saying how the Hilo girl Garson-Shumway, was a surprise in winning the 800 by a huge distance. Well if they did their homework they would have known she was an awesome runner and one of the best in the state! Also, no recognition was given to sophomore sprinter from Konawaena, Luca Vartic. He came in second in the 100, placed in the 200, and anchored the 4x100. I know the Oahu schools get all the attention, but this is a statewide competition and the outer islands did awesome and deserve recognition as well.

Duster
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by Duster »

budsdad wrote:little bit of constructive criticism for the broadcast:
I totally agree on the camera work. That aspect was actually quite poor. I as looking forward to seeing who was coming in 4th, 5th, 6th, etc. Whoever the producer was should have kept the live camera directed at the finish line until more finishers crossed - then pan back to the 1st place finisher. Give the kids who made it to the State meet the chance to be seen on TV. In that sense, I thought it was great when Kaeo Kruse got several of his fellow competitors into a shot.

bandits1
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by bandits1 »

You guys got it exactly right, they missed the start of multiple races and cut away from the finishes before everyone crossed the line. They HAVE to get the camera on the starting line before every single event while the runners are getting their blocks set up and say who's in what lane and maybe some other small bit of runner info, especially the favorites. It might make the casual viewer -- a sports fan who isn't necessarily a track & field fan -- care more about who wins the race or at least make it more interesting.

On the plus side, this season's broadcast was much better than last season's(inaugural T&F broadcast for OC16, right?). I don't know if the guy co-hosting with Dashefsky was the same dude as last season, but he gave more insight and was much more talkative than last season's co-host, and that's super important especially in track & field since there are lots of built-in breaks in between events.

todaresq
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by todaresq »

After the criticism we gave them last year, they've improved somewhat on the broadcasting side. They actually sent someone to the outer islands to do their homework and talk a little bit about the key athletes going into this year's competition. Unlike last year, where they mainly mentioned athletes who played football or competed in Oahu. Camera work does need some more planning and while I understand that they can't possibly cover all the events. At the very least, cover an event from start and finish areas.
Outside of that, we're thankful that the sport of track and field is finally getting some recognition. One other thing we mentioned to them is to have coaches send in a bio on their top athletes so that these broadcasters have something to talk about when they spot one of them in competition. Lastly, while we're on the chatter about states. What about a "state meet record" and a "state record". Some of these have their best performance not a the state meet and they're not being recognized for it. Khalil from Mililani would be one example where he only topped off at 6'6" in the HJ but his best is 6'10" at the Punahou Relays last year.
That's it for now, see you in Maui next year!!

bandits1
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by bandits1 »

^^^I remember that from last season, how the commentators talked a LOT about the football players(or athletes from other more major sports) and how good they were in that sport. It was like they weren't knowledgeable enough about track & field and/or didn't know enough about the athletes who didn't play football, so they filled dead time talking about something they did know. They fixed that this season and the broadcast was miles better than last season. Now they just gotta get that camerawork straightened out and get at least a little bit of info about every single finals participant. They may not have the time to talk about every runner, but at least be prepared to.