Reggie Torres.... To PUNAHOU

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
dirtylickens
High-quality H20 provider

Reggie Torres.... To PUNAHOU

Post by dirtylickens »

In a move that i think is more impactful than Cal Lee's return, Kale Ane and the Punahou Buff n Blue have found another way to bring in a staple of the North Shore community. Enter Reggie Torres to be the Offensive Line coach for the defending state champs. In a move that will surely turn some heads in the north shore, it will be interesting to see the enrollment of north shore kids impacted by his hiring. I thought for sure Cal Lee would reach out to him, but it seems as if Ane and staff has convinced Torres to join the Buff n Blue ranks instead. Published in the paper this morning as well, it seems as if Darren Johnson will be coaching under another Darren, Hernandez for the Kapolei Hurricanes. Although i dont see the move having the effect of Torres, i believe it will help both programs. and the rich get richer, Literally.

EASTHONFAN
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Re: Reggie Torres.... To PUNAHOU

Post by EASTHONFAN »

Wow, unreal. :wav:
Last edited by EASTHONFAN on Sun Apr 13, 2014 7:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

kapakahi
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
Location: formerly SoCal (Long Beach, South Bay & the OC); relocated back to Honolulu

Post by kapakahi »

What now for Dane Uperesa?

rrforlifebaby
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by rrforlifebaby »

As i posted under in another thread, hard to see successful alumni coaches coaching at other schools, but that's just the way it is. Now he can just focus on the kids and don't have to worry about the politics of dealing with administration people.

Regardless of how many kids transfer for whatever reason, Red Raider football still better than most of the state. Never count out Red for too long.

Wishing Coach Reggie the best.

RRFL!!

LocalCheesehead
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by LocalCheesehead »

Being that Reggie is a true blue kahuku alum, I really don't see him hurting and depleting his own alma mater of stud football players.

But, then again, maybe that's what he's getting paid for.

dirtylickens

Post by dirtylickens »

i am curious as to what will happen with Upuresa. He is a promising young coach, with coaches in his family bloodline. I am also curious as to how this will effect the dynamics within the coaching staff. Reggie is a well liked guy, and im sure he will do nothing but positive things. Glad he got a chance to continue coaching, even if its with the "enemy" of his former team.

twnoexcuses
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by twnoexcuses »

dirtylickens wrote:i am curious as to what will happen with Upuresa. He is a promising young coach, with coaches in his family bloodline. I am also curious as to how this will effect the dynamics within the coaching staff. Reggie is a well liked guy, and im sure he will do nothing but positive things. Glad he got a chance to continue coaching, even if its with the "enemy" of his former team.

Interesting how if a 2 Kahuku Juniors got kicked off the Kahuku team, then tried to go play at Kapolei and Punahou, they'd be ineligible. Of course, the Kapolei player could play if he moved house to Kapolei. I wonder if Johnson moved house? Kahuku to Punahou is a mandatory one year sentence for a player, though.

EASTHONFAN
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by EASTHONFAN »

I knew it would only be a matter of time until twnoexcuse would say something about transferring. I agree with you on this issue. I'm not sure when the ILH made this rule but I think back in the late seventies it was already a rule. Back then ILH schools could hold back a high school player to gain an age advantage. I think they still can but the current HHSAA rule that has an age limit would make the older player Ineligible from participating in the state tournament. Public school parents that want to gain an age advantage hold their kids back during the kids elementary school years. Not sure if this rule puts them at a disadvantge.

huki-lau-lau
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by huki-lau-lau »

With this latest Kahuku addition at Punahou I cant say Id be mad anymore to see the buffnblue win more State titles...thats of course if the Red Raiders are not in contention.

GO PUNAHOU!
-------------------

twnoexcuses
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by twnoexcuses »

EASTHONFAN wrote:I knew it would only be a matter of time until twnoexcuse would say something about transferring. I agree with you on this issue. I'm not sure when the ILH made this rule but I think back in the late seventies it was already a rule. Back then ILH schools could hold back a high school player to gain an age advantage. I think they still can but the current HHSAA rule that has an age limit would make the older player Ineligible from participating in the state tournament. Public school parents that want to gain an age advantage hold their kids back during the kids elementary school years. Not sure if this rule puts them at a disadvantge.

It just highlights the ridiculousness of the transfer rule, and the extent that the students are victimized by it and the thinking behind it.

Locavore
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by Locavore »

twnoexcuses wrote:
EASTHONFAN wrote:I knew it would only be a matter of time until twnoexcuse would say something about transferring. I agree with you on this issue. I'm not sure when the ILH made this rule but I think back in the late seventies it was already a rule. Back then ILH schools could hold back a high school player to gain an age advantage. I think they still can but the current HHSAA rule that has an age limit would make the older player Ineligible from participating in the state tournament. Public school parents that want to gain an age advantage hold their kids back during the kids elementary school years. Not sure if this rule puts them at a disadvantge.

It just highlights the ridiculousness of the transfer rule, and the extent that the students are victimized by it and the thinking behind it.
The ridiculousness is your own inability to see past your "whoa is me" personal situation look at the big picture. The ILH is forced to play ball because the rest of the state will say, "if you cherry pick all our best players from the public schools, we are going to have the tournament without you. Have fun with your 5 teams." Why cry over spilt milk. It's never going to change, so build a bridge and get over it.

EASTHONFAN
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by EASTHONFAN »

:boxing: whoa themz fighting wordz. I can't wait for the next post

twnoexcuses
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by twnoexcuses »

Locavore wrote:
twnoexcuses wrote:

The ridiculousness is your own inability to see past your "whoa is me" personal situation look at the big picture. The ILH is forced to play ball because the rest of the state will say, "if you cherry pick all our best players from the public schools, we are going to have the tournament without you. Have fun with your 5 teams." Why cry over spilt milk. It's never going to change, so build a bridge and get over it.

And, that perspective helps add to educational achievement how???

Correct.

In no way whatsoever.

The ILH is "forced" to play ball? Well, when you "play ball", there's usually an objective. What is the objective of forcing the ILH to play ball? Could it be there is no legitimate educational objective, but it only occurs plainly and simply because the OIA is constantly crying "whoa is me" "The big, BAD ILH is taking the players from us. Waaaaaaaaaaah!" - Crying over milk spilled and to be spilled (no doubt).

And the other (latest) "whoa is me" cry (over spilled milk). "Waaaaaaaaaah! Mililani and Kahuku and Kaiser are taking my star player(s). Waaaaaaaaaaah!" "yipe", "yipe"

But it ain't JUST crying. If it were JUSTt crying, then MAYBE one could commiserate with the OIA. and the underperforming schools it has to endure.

It's one thing to cry. It's another thing to take out those emotions on kids and families searching for ways to get ahead - the wise and well thought out impact of the transfer rule.

(How's that, EASTHON?)

Locavore
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by Locavore »

[/Quote]The ridiculousness is your own inability to see past your "whoa is me" personal situation look at the big picture. The ILH is forced to play ball because the rest of the state will say, "if you cherry pick all our best players from the public schools, we are going to have the tournament without you. Have fun with your 5 teams." Why cry over spilt milk. It's never going to change, so build a bridge and get over it.[/quote]

And, that perspective helps add to educational achievement how???

Correct.

In no way whatsoever.

The ILH is "forced" to play ball? Well, when you "play ball", there's usually an objective. What is the objective of forcing the ILH to play ball? Could it be there is no legitimate educational objective, but it only occurs plainly and simply because the OIA is constantly crying "whoa is me" "The big, BAD ILH is taking the players from us. Waaaaaaaaaaah!" - Crying over milk spilled and to be spilled (no doubt).

And the other (latest) "whoa is me" cry (over spilled milk). "Waaaaaaaaaah! Mililani and Kahuku and Kaiser are taking my star player(s). Waaaaaaaaaaah!" "yipe", "yipe"

But it ain't JUST crying. If it were JUSTt crying, then MAYBE one could commiserate with the OIA. and the underperforming schools it has to endure.

It's one thing to cry. It's another thing to take out those emotions on kids and families searching for ways to get ahead - the wise and well thought out impact of the transfer rule.

(How's that, EASTHON?)[/quote]

Thankfully we have people in charge who chose to do things the way the other 49 states do it. Luckily they can think rationally and not over emotionally charged burning their keyboard trying to fight as an Internet tough guy who is going to have as much success as shooting pool with a rope.

twnoexcuses
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by twnoexcuses »

What you talking about, Locavore? School districts?? No. Death Penalty? No. Obamacare? No. Transfer Rule? No.