Top 5 QB's in the State in 2014

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
football_fan
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Top 5 QB's in the State in 2014

Post by football_fan »

Don't know the exact outlook, with more teams passing, it seems the QB position is more important than ever...

LocalCheesehead
Pine rider
Pine rider

Re: Top 5 QB's in the State in 2014

Post by LocalCheesehead »

St. Louis could possibly have the top 2 on one team....
Kuhns and Tagovaiola (sp)

Getreal$
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by Getreal$ »

Disclaimer: Strictly going from passing stats alone from the 2013 season. There are so much variables to consider when picking the Top QB's in the State so I'll just start with passing stats.

D-I

Ryder Kuhns STL 1911 yards 25TD's
Mckenzie Milton MIL 1626 yards 16TD's
Montana Liana FARR 1421 yards 6TD's
Noa Auld KAI 1411 yards 10TD's
Stephen Lee CAST 1298 yards 8TD's

D-II

Austin Jim On Iolani 1856 yrds 20TD's
Chase Newton KSM 1676 yrds 14TD's
Jordan Taamu PC 1649 yrds 11TD's
Koa Ellis Jr. HPA 1615 yrds 20TD's
Micah Kanehailua KSH 1604 yrds 20 TD's

Again, this is only based on passing stats alone.

Neighbor
All-conference
All-conference

Post by Neighbor »

Top QB I gotta go with Milton. He'll have a few of his top receivers back and he has the running game with Malepeai.
Kuhns loses his RB and top WR but it's St. Louis and now they got braddah Cal Lee back so who knows.

saynotomercs
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by saynotomercs »

Neighbor wrote:Top QB I gotta go with Milton. He'll have a few of his top receivers back and he has the running game with Malepeai.
Kuhns loses his RB and top WR but it's St. Louis and now they got braddah Cal Lee back so who knows.
So the best QB is the player with the best supporting cast? Are you talking about wins and losses? Or statistics alone? The best player is the best player regardless of who he plays with.

Undftd
High-quality H20 provider
High-quality H20 provider

Post by Undftd »

Guys this may sound like BS, but the rumor around campus is that Ryder is 50/50 on playing next year. All i heard was that he wanted to focus on other things (possibly baseball?) and that apparently STL has a a great up and comer at qb.
Undefeated. 11-0
State Champions

FASBOY'90
Starter
Starter

Post by FASBOY'90 »

LocalCheesehead wrote:St. Louis could possibly have the top 2 on one team....
This I have to agree on. I would think Tagovaiola is a better QB, or is it his younger brother? I know that one of them is the future of St. Louis. Probably will be another Mariota, if not better. This kid is the real deal and if you haven't watched him play yet, than you are basically missing out.

LocalCheesehead
Pine rider
Pine rider

FASBOY'90 wrote:
LocalCheesehead wrote:St. Louis could possibly have the top 2 on one team....
This I have to agree on. I would think Tagovaiola is a better QB, or is it his younger brother? I know that one of them is the future of St. Louis. Probably will be another Mariota, if not better. This kid is the real deal and if you haven't watched him play yet, than you are basically missing out.
I've seen Marcus play as a freshman and I've seen Tua as a ninth grader as well.
Tua looks to be more developed at this point than Mariota was when he was a freshman. Having Ron Lee as the OC will definitely help his college D1 offers . I know it's way too early, but I wouldn't be surprised if he ended up at Oregon as well.

FASBOY'90
Starter
Starter

Post by FASBOY'90 »

[LocalCheesehead]
Tua looks to be more developed at this point than Mariota was when he was a freshman. Having Ron Lee as the OC will definitely help his college D1 offers . I know it's way too early, but I wouldn't be surprised if he ended up at Oregon as well.
That's right Tui was his name. I've watched him play from his 6th grade year for the Hammerhead than at Waukee Big boy league and now high school. He was far more advance than any QB at his age level til now. What an amazing athlete. I too also watched Mariota from his freshman year. Although I felt he should have been a starter, his parents and him where fully committed to the St. Louis program and never faltered or held any type of grudges. His patients paid off his senior season with a state championship now he's one of colleges top QB in the nation.

saynotomercs
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by saynotomercs »

Everyone bags on Ryder Kuhns. If he's invested, he WILL START for Saint Louis next year. Tagavailoa is a very good player as well, but I'm not benching a legitimate FBS talent for a guy who hasn't taken a varsity snap.

As a pure throwing talent, I'd put Kuhns under Mariota, and at worst in a tie with Chang. The guy can sling the rock. He had the highest passer rating in school history last year.

FASBOY'90
Starter
Starter

Post by FASBOY'90 »

Ryder Kuhns is a good player, and he will probably and most likely end up as the starter again. Tagavailoa basically out performed every level of competition he played at. He'll no doubt be ready to play at the varsity level and earn his starting role. I'm not sure if Khuns can match Mariota ' status though. FBS athlete? Sure, starter for a top FBS school as a true freshman? top 5 NCAA college QB in the country as a sophomore and he could have went in the first round of the NFL Draft? It is possible, far from it in my opinion, maybe not even close. Mariota only had one season in high school to build his career passing statistics. If he had four, He probably would have a high school record that would be untouchable for both passing and rushing as a QB.

LocalCheesehead
Pine rider
Pine rider

saynotomercs wrote:Everyone bags on Ryder Kuhns. If he's invested, he WILL START for Saint Louis next year. Tagavailoa is a very good player as well, but I'm not benching a legitimate FBS talent for a guy who hasn't taken a varsity snap.

As a pure throwing talent, I'd put Kuhns under Mariota, and at worst in a tie with Chang. The guy can sling the rock. He had the highest passer rating in school history last year.

I'm not bagging on Ryder. I actually have him as the #1 QB in the state.
No one throws a nicer ball than Kuhns.

Neighbor
All-conference
All-conference

Post by Neighbor »

saynotomercs wrote:
Neighbor wrote:Top QB I gotta go with Milton. He'll have a few of his top receivers back and he has the running game with Malepeai.
So the best QB is the player with the best supporting cast? Are you talking about wins and losses? Or statistics alone? The best player is the best player regardless of who he plays with.
A QB is only as good as his supporting cast is, unless you're Tom Brady and there's only one Tom Brady in the world.
For instance, we'll see how well Noa does this upcoming year without Tui at QB.

football_fan
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by football_fan »

St.Louis will without a doubt provide a miss-opportunity for one of their dynamic qbs.
With today's football climate of parity, these potential "elite backups" should bail the
St.Louis ship and play on a "on the cusp" contender on a public school that can showcase their
talents. I can't imagine Kuhns or Tagovailoa, or even whoever their 3rd string guy losing the starting job, and wasting a year on the bench.
Bad parenting, misguided advice. Either one of them could go to a Campbell/Leilehua/Waipahu/Moanalua and
have a 1st team all state year. This would go for any backup at any school who has the capabilities to
run a pass oriented offense and have success in it with their skill set...We don't want to admit it, but that's the
dynamics of high school football in 2014.

Kuhns running the run and shoot at Campbell, or Tagovailoa running the passing attack at Leilehua...Opportunity rather than playing second fiddle to the starter
to probably a St.Louis team who has to battle with two good Kamehemeha and Punahou teams with one spot in the D-I tourney...
Just my opinion...

EITSwarrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by EITSwarrior »

football_fan wrote:St.Louis will without a doubt provide a miss-opportunity for one of their dynamic qbs.
With today's football climate of parity, these potential "elite backups" should bail the
St.Louis ship and play on a "on the cusp" contender on a public school that can showcase their
talents. I can't imagine Kuhns or Tagovailoa, or even whoever their 3rd string guy losing the starting job, and wasting a year on the bench.
Bad parenting, misguided advice. Either one of them could go to a Campbell/Leilehua/Waipahu/Moanalua and
have a 1st team all state year. This would go for any backup at any school who has the capabilities to
run a pass oriented offense and have success in it with their skill set...We don't want to admit it, but that's the
dynamics of high school football in 2014.

Kuhns running the run and shoot at Campbell, or Tagovailoa running the passing attack at Leilehua...Opportunity rather than playing second fiddle to the starter
to probably a St.Louis team who has to battle with two good Kamehemeha and Punahou teams with one spot in the D-I tourney...
Just my opinion...
Tell that to Mariota. See how well it worked out for him. Or ask Faleafene (sp?) how transferring to Millilani went.