Darren Johnson to be Kapolei OC

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
Tmanz
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Darren Johnson to be Kapolei OC

Post by Tmanz »

Take it to the bank!

Inside source told me

huki-lau-lau
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Re: Darren Johnson to be Kapolei OC

Post by huki-lau-lau »

If true then I wish all the best to Darren and even more of a reason to root for Kapolei.

DJ leaving Kahuku is not good news, DJ took the 7on7 passing team from kahuku up to vegas last month so he has close relations with the kahuku kids hope he dont take any of those kids with him to kapolei.
-------------------

harus0ra
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by harus0ra »

If he can run the offense they way he did at Kailua and the players that are transferring there. This might be what kapolei needs to overcome that hump. A really Big win for kapolei

iriehugh
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by iriehugh »

Kids follow DJ. Watch out for Kapolei. With DJ and his players, mixed with players already at Kapolei, WOW. My early preseason prediction to win the OIA this season.

blitz_mentalityb4b
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by blitz_mentalityb4b »

This is big news...

If they move Ronald Matautia to a full time RB (Waianae should have done this...)
They will become a tough offense that eats clock, and executes Coach Johnson's
simple yet effective I-formation Power Run Plays...
This should be fun to watch at Kapolei, traditionally a finesse team...
I also agree with the above comments, wouldn't doubt more kids transfering Kapolei's way
with Coach Johnson's arrival...It's the nature of the beast....should be interesting...

eonatoa
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by eonatoa »

iriehugh wrote:Kids follow DJ. Watch out for Kapolei. With DJ and his players, mixed with players already at Kapolei, WOW. My early preseason prediction to win the OIA this season.
Whoa, a lot of faith! I like it. But dont think Kapolei will see that big of a turnaround in one season. But I have been wrong before.

football_fan
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by football_fan »

Pro-I running game will be showcased at Kapolei.
Kapolei's Offensive line has traditionally been as big as Kahuku's, may be a perfect fit.
Kapolei still finishes in the middle of their division (3-4/4-3) I predict...

It's fun to see teams either deciding to implement a slow tempo, run heavy scheme into their offensive philosophy, or
the uptempo, spread schemes...

From what I've heard, Kahuku will evolve into an uptempo spread scheme with Coach Leslie...

studfinder
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by studfinder »

Good job Kapolei in acquiring a very good coach. Kapolei needs to have an aggressive offensive line to implement the I formation. That same line minus their D-1 player in Kapoi wasn't aggressive. They got the height, just needs the meaness, coaching doesn't do it, you gotta be born with it; I didn't see it last season. Kahuku and Kailua was a whole different animal. Their quarterback better be a good option back or he is going to be doing a whole lot of ball keeping or fullback hand offs. On a positive note, if Alton Julius is running the QB spot, he is a very gifted athlete that can make the big play. Moving Mautautia to FB would be great in this offensive scheme.

rrforlifebaby
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by rrforlifebaby »

Sad to see any alumni coach elsewhere, but that's just the nature of the business. I know he's gona be the OC, but wouldn't be surprised to see 'canes D play with a little Red Raider mentality. Both Kailua and Kaimuki looked like versions of the Red Raider D when he coached at those schools.

Good luck DJ!!

RRFL!!!

harus0ra
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by harus0ra »

studfinder wrote:Good job Kapolei in acquiring a very good coach. Kapolei needs to have an aggressive offensive line to implement the I formation. That same line minus their D-1 player in Kapoi wasn't aggressive. They got the height, just needs the meaness, coaching doesn't do it, you gotta be born with it; I didn't see it last season. Kahuku and Kailua was a whole different animal. Their quarterback better be a good option back or he is going to be doing a whole lot of ball keeping or fullback hand offs. On a positive note, if Alton Julius is running the QB spot, he is a very gifted athlete that can make the big play. Moving Mautautia to FB would be great in this offensive scheme.

Yup, he's going to bring the physicality to kapolei and make them a powerhouse running team! Perfect team for coach d and now lets see if they can run against Mililani and Farrington since there are in the same division.

eonatoa
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by eonatoa »

I think Kapolei's coaching staff was pretty decent. They have a lot of guys with college level experience. The addition of DJ should be a big plus, but it hasnt been adding up in the win column for years out in Kapolei.

FASBOY'90
Starter
Starter

Post by FASBOY'90 »

Congrats too coach DJ, wish him all the best. Recruiting is his thing and yes he will bring in athletes to the Hurricane program. Kapolei will be competitive and will be a force to be reckoned with in the west. Taking the OIA? Is a long shot. The road to the OIA Championship is through Mililani and that won't be an easy task with the amount of returning athletes they have on there roster.

football_fan
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by football_fan »

Not too big of a deal...Kapolei changing their offense once again (spread option/no huddle/Pro-I) provides a lot of question marks. I swear they have a new offensive scheme every year! Lol... He will bring a style of football that Kapolei will have to adjust and embrace in order to be successful. If they only run it for one year and change, it will be all for not...
I still predict a 3-4/4-3 finish for Kapolei...competitive but will lose games where they fall behind early, and have to catch up using a Pro-I, clock chomping style...Their defense also under performs every year despite having some stud players every year.

Still big props to Coach Hernandez, who does wonders getting his players into college programs every year...

FASBOY'90
Starter
Starter

Post by FASBOY'90 »

One thing is for sure.....The power running game. Running backs, Tightends and Offensive Linemans paradise. Kapolei has always had big strong limemans. If DJ can get these guys in sync, Kapolei will be joining the ranks of Kahuku, Farrington and Waianae. Old school smash mouth, ground an pound, sa-lap-u-in-face football.

huki-lau-lau
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by huki-lau-lau »

Im shaking at the knees thinking about all that talent in Kapolei that DJ could possibly have at his disposal. Look out OIA the hurricanes will be on the rise ..cant wait for the season to start.
-------------------