Punahou baseball - how can a program fall so far?

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
Poltclyrrational
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Re: Punahou baseball - how can a program fall so far?

Post by Poltclyrrational »

Saint Louis football coach, Kahuku football coach, Punahou baseball coach all changing? Whats next, Iolani Basketball coach? Other than Saint Louis football who went retro, the face of Hawaii athletics is drastically changes. Its for the better though, a changing of the guard and bringing in some younger talent to lead these schools is much needed...In some cases...

whatdoesthefoxsay
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by whatdoesthefoxsay »

1) I'm surprised there aren't more posts on this thread.

2) I'm surprised there's no thread about Jeaney Garcia

3) I can't believe that Punahou lost ANOTHER baseball game, not to mention the WAY they lost it today. This team seems cursed.

seven
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by seven »

Seriously people. Your claims of the answer is Kenny "doesn't listen to parents"? That is ridiculous - mirror alert...parents and the players are the problem!!!

Maybe the truth is the current players are not that good. If you announce to goto Stanford, OSU or Harvard it does not mean you will play or have any factor winning HS games.

Or maybe the answer is that the other ILH teams are better and have beaten the Puns each game except for P5.

Another ridiculous statement is the silence of the parents in fear of their sons. Wow only in Hawaii, you crab climb on each other!

Punahou has won 13 state baseball championship more than any other school in Hawaii, so what if the team is 2-10-1, its about time someone else wins don't you think?

Let Kenny be. Get off his back. Spoiler alert... it aint his fault, try looking in the mirror. This is just HS baseball. Fire a coach because the team loses is insane, this aint college baseball or MLB. all HS coaches do it for free basically and sacrifice their family time to do this. so stop chirping.

rumor has it that if only you put on the past championship tshirts you will win one someday too...

whatdoesthefoxsay
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

I'm not trying to get on his back. I just think they've had a weird year and can't seem to catch a break. I think many of the complaints above, especially about the coach padding stats, if that comment was about his kid, are bogus. Where are the stats anyway for any team? I can barely find the standings when I look for them. The kid is good; no one would look at him twice if he weren't.

browndog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by browndog »

Just win baby

FASBOY'90
Starter
Starter

Post by FASBOY'90 »

Athletes choosing to stay put or just simply choosing other schools to play for like Iolani an Mid Pac. Or maybe funding went all to beef up the football program?

whatdoesthefoxsay
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

I think there's some truth to Fasboy's comment. I don't think any of that last really good little league team ended up at Punahou but I see their names at Mid Pac, St. Louis, and Iolani. The window to transfer is small; once a kid has started HS it's too late.

In any case, ILH is really tough this year, as usual. Whoever gets to States will definitely earn it.

FASBOY'90
Starter
Starter

Post by FASBOY'90 »

Campbell is loaded as well. Seems many of the athletes there decided to stay put. Or some transferred in from other parts of the state. Waipahu also has a good team as well.

browndog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by browndog »

i guess some didnt see the value in the $20K+ education lure. :wink:

baseballlifer
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by baseballlifer »

I know some of you don't blame the coaching, but what else could it be? The kadooka won by preparing. These kids look like they don't even practice. The drop from when Harrison took over, going from making States (losing to hilo) to not even competing in the ilh? The talent this year in the ilh is not overwhelming. The separator is coaching.

Ramashack
High-quality H20 provider
High-quality H20 provider

Post by Ramashack »

This will be taken as a negative but it is a straight question. I can't remember what was said at the time, but what was Harrison's coaching resume when he was hired? I don't recall him being a part of any high school level coaching staff prior to the PUN job.

kapakahi
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
Location: formerly SoCal (Long Beach, South Bay & the OC); relocated back to Honolulu

Post by kapakahi »

Ramashack wrote:This will be taken as a negative but it is a straight question. I can't remember what was said at the time, but what was Harrison's coaching resume when he was hired? I don't recall him being a part of any high school level coaching staff prior to the PUN job.
http://www.punahou.edu/news/item/index. ... oduleID=58

Though not mentioned here, Kenny was an assistant coach at Roosevelt HS under former UH pitcher Matt Apana......who ironically is now Kenny's assistant at Punahou.

reignjah11
Hall of famer
Hall of famer
MLB: Boston Red Sox
NBA: Dallas Mavericks
NFL: New England Patriots

Post by reignjah11 »

Despite their record, punahou can still win the ILH and make states. All of the d1 ILH teams will be in the playoffs so there is still hope for harrison.

baseballlifer
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by baseballlifer »

reignjah11 wrote:Despite their record, punahou can still win the ILH and make states. All of the d1 ILH teams will be in the playoffs so there is still hope for harrison.
his only hope is if they play pac5 and everyone else drops out.

budsdad
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by budsdad »

And so with a dull thud, Punahou's season came to a merciful end yesterday. 3-12-1, what a great record. And classic comments by the coach in the paper - "they busted their tails for me" "it's so hard for me". what about the kids? not hard on them? Not sure if they busted their tails for the coach...

Let's see if they can rebound next year.