2014 Judo Season

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
twnoexcuses
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Re: 2014 Judo Season

Post by twnoexcuses »

Duster wrote:Here are the Girls' results:

http://scoringlive.com/story.php?storyid=11761

When I glanced at the results, it seemed like there were an inordinate number of hansoku make and ippon results on the Boys' side, and ippon and shido on the Girls side. I didn't actually count, but those just jumped out at me.

Why so many hansoku make? Those were exceedingly rare in my day. Was the shido for stalling/inactivity? With respect to the ippon, were the competitors that far apart in experience/ability? Or lucky - LOL!

The referees and tournament officials are going to kill this sport as a high school offering. The adult kept on insisting on pursuitg their own agendas when it was the kid's time to shine. Really sad and shameful.

hanzosteel
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by hanzosteel »

I agree. If two judoka are battling their hearts out in the finals of the State Tournament, why call ticky tack shidos for stalling, false attacks, or merely touching an opponents leg? Let them play; no need for officials to get involved. What the heck? A kid trains all season for this moment, only to have the outcome of the championship decided by a referee who feels a need to display his "knowledge" of the rules. These types of calls were not being made throughout the season and league championships; only in the State Tournament. Poor kids didn't know how to adjust to the officials.

ypahupride
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by ypahupride »

Duster wrote:Here are the Girls' results:

http://scoringlive.com/story.php?storyid=11761

When I glanced at the results, it seemed like there were an inordinate number of hansoku make and ippon results on the Boys' side, and ippon and shido on the Girls side. I didn't actually count, but those just jumped out at me.

Why so many hansoku make? Those were exceedingly rare in my day. Was the shido for stalling/inactivity? With respect to the ippon, were the competitors that far apart in experience/ability? Or lucky - LOL!
DUSTER thanks the SCORINGLIVE link. They have good video. I watch the first 4 girls match with loses by shido. I want to say all students fought hard. This not take nothing from them but in my opinion this is what I see:

98 POUNDS
Jackie Agena, MOA def. Maia Phanthadara, ROOS (Shido)

IMO Agena did good. Phanthadara looked strong at first but faded. I do not agree with first shido but the drop was shido. Agena attack way more. Agena stayed focused and deserve to win.

103 POUNDS
Kristyn Takai, MOA def. Louise Pekelo, PC (Shido)

IMO Takai was stronger more determined. Pekelo deserved more shido for stalling non activity. She looked sloppy and tired. Takai deserve the win. Takai good judo.

109 POUNDS
Chastyne Dolor, PC def. Kaylin Castro, MIL (Shido)

IMO at start both girl were even until last 90 second. Dolor gas out. She should got shidos. Castro took it to her up and down. To bad Castro touch the leg. Dolor won by luck and bad referee.

115 POUNDS
Haylie Shinsato, MIL def. Kristen Kojima, ROOS (Shido - OT)

IMO this match to long. Bad reffing. Kojima constant attack. Shinsato keep circling stall and drops. False attacks. Shinsato fight hard but deserved many shidos. Shinsato wear down Kojima and win by luck and very poor referee.

I do not like bouts decided by shidos but if ref is going to give it be fair and consistent. It make them look incompetence and bias. Be fair in the calls. They ruin many matches this year. Hurt many students. This all only my opinion.

ippon sode made
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by ippon sode made »

Seen 103 girls 3rd place match go back and forth no score very even....After 3 minutes and 50 seconds ref gives one girl shido for stalling. 10 seconds left girl lost by shido very sad to see this in a championship match regardless if for 1st or 6th place.