Advertiser Article on Transfers

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
twnoexcuses
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Re: Advertiser Article on Transfers

Post by twnoexcuses »

dirtylickens wrote:haha well, i dont agree with parents transferring schools for athletics, it is what it is. and it looks like we must agree to disagree.

Hey, dirtylickens, no problem agreeing to disagree. And, no question your view is philosophical as opposed to factual.

I merely advocate parents pursuing all options (hopefully - emphasis on "hope" - with positive results) and you don't,

There's a signifficant difference between what unpaid tried to do and what you do.

Purporting to advise people who might not otherwise be knowledgeable (and looking for advice) that there is "no hope", and it is "delusional", for parents of NON 4-5 star players to pursue athletics to enhance a kid's college prospects on a variety of levels, IS FAR DIFFERENT than disagreeing with the concept of transferring on philosophical grounds.

The former is misleading and if followed or believed, could lead to the loss of financial opportunity/assistance, among other potential harms.

The latter is a view to be considered and put through a decision making matrix - possibly (although, my view is that the "objections" to transferring for sports have more to do with the goals, desires, prejudices and benefit of OTHERS, rather than the good of the kid for whom a family may be making a transfer decision - a big reason for my disagreement with limitations on transferring for sports). .

I do totally disagree with the idea that athletics is NOT a legitimate consideration/reason for wanting to transfer schools. But, I consider athletics and math and science and band and theater all in the same basket of potential areas where a kid may distinguish themselves for inspection by colleges. So, to me it is improper, unwise and unfair to single out athletics as an exception to transferring, especially when to do so results in "punishment" of, of all people in the process, the kid.

Interestingly, I have read nothing from a parent (or a kid) who went through the transfer for athletics process, and then felt it was detrimental. That tells me one of two things: A) it ain't happening - so that the transfer rule only hurts kids who are not transferring for athletics; or, B) those who have done it are happy with the outcomes - or at least don't regret it enough to proclaim it a mistake. The only transfer complaints I read about are from adults who've either been left behind, who worry about being left behind, or whose teams get beaten by the transfers. To me, the self-centered, sports crazed interests of those people shouldn't dictate Hawaii educational policy or the educational fate of a single kid in Hawaii.

twnoexcuses
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Re: Advertiser Article on Transfers

Post by twnoexcuses »

More sports=college: http://www.hawaiiprepworld.com/football ... p+World%29

And, while it's possible this represents ALL kids in Hawaii crossing the athletics college bridge, I'm pretty sure it doesn't. I think the PIAA held signing parties in Fall and February too.

Certainly, those signing parties may have involved a small, even single digit percentage of kids graduating from Hawaii high schools this year.

BUT, the real question is whether it became easier or indeed possible (either in terms of affordability or acceptance) for ANY of these kids to go to college due to their pursuit of sports.

IF that is/was the case, the local high school sports leagues really ought to get out of the business of punishing by restricting kids' ability to play in order to restrict kids' movement or worse corral them into a location to serve the narrow (and relatively illegitimate) interests of a booster, coach or AD.

Does the transfer rule keep kids off the list linked? Did it ever keep kids off lists like it? Will it? If "yes" to any of those questions, the transfer rule has gotta go.

By the way, CONGRATULATIONS to them all. I'm sure MOST of Hawaii is deliriously happy for ALL of them (except, of course, those who feel "ripped off" because some of them may have "transferred" sometime in their past).