Advertiser Article on Transfers

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
rrforlifebaby
Play Maker
Play Maker

Advertiser Article on Transfers

Post by rrforlifebaby »

It was a pretty good article in today's paper regarding possible transfer rule changes.

I thought it telling that Miano didn't want to comment and York was unavailable for comment.

Coach Reggie had some good comments and the perspective by student-athlete Manu was well said. I give kids like Manu credit for excelling both on and off the field...although it's a loss for his "home" school, the change did him good.

With that being said, I think it's sad that a "change" in school is what helps any kid improve. Time and time again, kids at pretty much all the public schools have proven that regardless of their situation, they're able to rise above and excel. BUT, I know that each individual's situation is different, so it's very hard to throw all public student's under one blanket.

IMHO, if they were to change the transfer rules, there should be exceptions, BUT, they need to be strictly enforced(easier said than done).

RRFL!

TheDuke
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: Advertiser Article on Transfers

Post by TheDuke »

Dumb rule.

People should be able to do what they got to do to get ahead in life.

After all it is a mobile society.

More private schools from the mainland will just recruit Hawaii...........Bishop Gorman, LV. Lower cost of living, no state income tax............better opportunity for their kids.

dirtylickens
High-quality H20 provider

Post by dirtylickens »

TheDuke wrote:Dumb rule.

More private schools from the mainland will just recruit Hawaii...........Bishop Gorman, LV. Lower cost of living, no state income tax............better opportunity for their kids.

I disagree with you. People should not be able to transfer within the public school system for the sake of playing a sport. I dont believe you can take a child out of one public school, where he lives within that school's boundaries and send him to another school miles away. Kids are leaving schools like Waianae, and Nanakuli to go to Kapolei, and this has been happening for years. The public school system (despite having its own flaws) is set up so that children will attend school within their district. You open it up, because we are a "mobile society", you'll close down as many as five schools because of a major drop in enrollment. I understand your point where Bishop Gorman, and even Utah schools like Timpview, and Bingham are taking some prospects from here. But in my opinion, i dont think it effects the overall rule. There are a few kids that are moving away, but that doesnt mean you allow kids to just attend another school on the other island, or even move from Maui to Oahu to play for another school.

MauiGuy
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by MauiGuy »

dirtylickens wrote:
TheDuke wrote:Dumb rule.

I disagree with you. People should not be able to transfer within the public school system for the sake of playing a sport. I dont believe you can take a child out of one public school, where he lives within that school's boundaries and send him to another school miles away. Kids are leaving schools like Waianae, and Nanakuli to go to Kapolei, and this has been happening for years. The public school system (despite having its own flaws) is set up so that children will attend school within their district. You open it up, because we are a "mobile society", you'll close down as many as five schools because of a major drop in enrollment. I understand your point where Bishop Gorman, and even Utah schools like Timpview, and Bingham are taking some prospects from here. But in my opinion, i dont think it effects the overall rule. There are a few kids that are moving away, but that doesnt mean you allow kids to just attend another school on the other island, or even move from Maui to Oahu to play for another school.
I certainly agree with you about the transfer rule, however, the schools that are losing kids shouldn't cry foul. Rather, they should find out why kids are leaving and correct their own flaws. Deal with what you can, because kids and parents will leave for greener pastures if that's the way they see it. If you make your school's education department the best it can be you shouldn't lose many of the students. Similarly, if your athletic program is the best it can be, you won't lose too many of the athletes.

SRJC
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by SRJC »

just read the prep report today from the star advertiser. So two high school football players will transfer to Bishop Gorman. A player from Kaiser and a player from St. Louis. I wonder how Miano feels to get a taste of his own medicine lol.

backyard ballaz
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by backyard ballaz »

SRJC wrote:just read the prep report today from the star advertiser. So two high school football players will transfer to Bishop Gorman. A player from Kaiser and a player from St. Louis. I wonder how Miano feels to get a taste of his own medicine lol.
I think he was happy! He threw a carnival after he found out Bishop Gorman took his "next Manti Teo."

twnoexcuses
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by twnoexcuses »

SRJC wrote:just read the prep report today from the star advertiser. So two high school football players will transfer to Bishop Gorman. A player from Kaiser and a player from St. Louis. I wonder how Miano feels to get a taste of his own medicine lol.

I hear the OIA is considering several new rules. First, a rule to ban all people associated with mainland high schools from visiting Hawaii, calling Hawaii, emailing Hawaii, and/or texting Hawaii. A second rule would ban Hawaii people of the OIA's choosing from leaving Hawaii. The OIA is also working to get cooperation from local businesses. Zippy's, Tanioka's, Foodland's fish department, the local GNC franchisee, Oceanic Cable, and Hawaiian Airlines are being asked to withhold services from fleeing athletes and families. Rumor has it that in the future, "certain people" will need THREE forms of identification when attempting to renew driver's licenses, as well as proof of all ancestors' passage to Hawaii after 1847. What the OIA wants, the OIA gets.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

Most of these kids are not going to make it in professional football. The number of kids who get scholarships for college is only marginally better.

Why do parents delude themselves by thinking that their kid is all that in football and get him transferred to another school with a more successful football program thinking the scholarship offers are gonna roll in after a year or two in Coach so and sos program?

If a kid is in a situation where he needs a change of school to get away from potential legal trouble because of bad associations....well,I can understand that...but no school is perfect...and a really troubled kid can find plenty of pilikia any schools he goes to.

Recruiting has nearly become a science...although I would argue it is an inexact science. Parents and kids need to realize that if their kid is all-state or all-league ,that really means nothing to a college recruiter. They are all about the measurables and metrics and game film. It means your kid could be playing for a three-time state champion and not get an offer,while a kid with upside and measurables ie 40 times from a 4-6 program gets a scholy.

High school coaches all have contacts to a certain degree and get their players looked at by college programs,but once the tip is given..the college guys come in and evaluate according to their standards. Those standards often leave a lot of players without a scholarship even though they may have contributed to championship seasons for their team.

Kahuku has been the most successful football program overall the past ten years. I know they typically have a large squad,...but for the sake of arguement..lets say they usually suit up 80 players....that would be around 600 kids over the past ten years. I seriously doubt that Kahuku has had 60 D-I football signees...in fact,they may not have 60 total football signees if you combined NCAA I,II,andIII signees together in that ten-year span of time.Most schools don't get as many signees as Kahuku does.

Athletics aren't they way out for most kids,even if they are an all-ILH,OIA,MIL,BIIF,KIF football player.

In the end it comes down to getting it done in the classroom.

twnoexcuses
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by twnoexcuses »

unpaid wrote:

In the end it comes down to getting it done in the classroom.
No it doesn't. The athletic scholarships and favored walk on financial aid inflators are real. And, they are worth big, big bucks, and may mean the difference between college and entry level employment immediately after high school.

Any given kid's ability to secure access to those benefits (whether by ealry demonstrated skill, late blooming skill, luck, whatever) is based upon their being in the right place at the right time. Can a parent "predict" where and when those "rights" will be? Some actually can, but none should be denied the opportunity to TRY, particularly not based on a philosophy of futility that has, "Nah, cannot" as it's central tenet.

Parents take an interest in their kids educational current situation and futures. Disgusting, stupid and shortsighted in your mind, eh unpaid? My view is completely contrary to yours. Parents pushing to get their kids to the next level (regardless of the vehicle so long as it isn't illegal) has to be ENCOURAGED, not blocked. Whether it's through academics, or sports, or some other form of extracurricular, it matters little. Our problem as a community is that we have TOO FEW parents actively involved in what's going on with their kids.

Certainly sports can bring out the worst in some parents. Certainly there will be a misguided few. But they're going to act the worst and be misguided no matter where they are. BUT, the DOE ain't crying about the kids who want transfer in order to be challenged more in math, or who want to do theater, or have a gift for a musical instrument. Those kids don't have to sit out a year from band, or math team, or robotics, or theater if they want to transfer. It's only the athletes (who are transferring by presumptive definition because they are seeking something they and their families believe will be a better situation for them).

And, the anti-transfer noise being made is essentially because in every community, there are a bunch of adults who are either salty about how the team they coached fared last season, or another bunch who are essentially playing fantasy football using high schoolers. In light of that, your criticism of parents seems a little (or a lot) misplaced.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

twnoexcuses,

Two things.

1.I call bs on you.I did not use the words stupid,shortsighted etc. to characterize parents...you were the one who said that. It's in black and white.

2.More importantly,it does come down to getting it done in the classroom.If the kid doesn't get it done in the classroom,the kid doesN't get to play on the team.It doesn't get simpler than that.Beyond that nugget...here is one more.
The classroom will always be more important because most kids aren't athletes and even most of the athletic kids are not going to get a scholarship..so ,for most people.the classroom ,not athletics,is going to determine how you do in life.

It is not wrong to want the best for your kids. All things being equal though,most kids get into college based on academics,not athletics.

So,if you are going to push your kid like a good parent should,then you had better push them on the books.

twnoexcuses
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by twnoexcuses »

unpaid wrote:twnoexcuses,

Two things.

1.I call bs on you.I did not use the words stupid,shortsighted etc. to characterize parents...you were the one who said that. It's in black and white.

2.More importantly,it does come down to getting it done in the classroom.If the kid doesn't get it done in the classroom,the kid doesN't get to play on the team.It doesn't get simpler than that.Beyond that nugget...here is one more.
The classroom will always be more important because most kids aren't athletes and even most of the athletic kids are not going to get a scholarship..so ,for most people.the classroom ,not athletics,is going to determine how you do in life.

It is not wrong to want the best for your kids. All things being equal though,most kids get into college based on academics,not athletics.

1. You are right, you said "deluded". But, I consider that a derogatory description, in the ballpark with those others I interpreted as your all knowing meaning.

2. How is the classroom and seeking athletic opportunities mutually exclusive? Your reasonIng reveals your view that these families who are seeking transfers don't crack the whip academically too. Who are you to make that judgment? How do you know they aren't pursuing all options? Too disgusting, stupid and shortsighted??? Oh, guess not, you did not use those words.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

twnoexcuses,

Let me clear up some confusion you seem to be experiencing. First of all,I am not all-knowing to use your words again.I am simply a human being with foibles like yourself.

I have not said that academic and athletic goals are mutually exclusive...again using your words here not mine...I am just saying that most emphasis needs to be on the classroom....never said a word about a kid having to study only and forget about band ,football,theatre,or whatever else they would like to do in school.That wouldn'T be much of a life for a kid ,would it?

huki-lau-lau
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by huki-lau-lau »

unpaid wrote:Most of these kids are not going to make it in professional football. The number of kids who get scholarships for college is only marginally better.
+1

unpaid wrote:Why do parents delude themselves by thinking that their kid is all that in football and get him transferred to another school with a more successful football program thinking the scholarship offers are gonna roll in after a year or two in Coach so and sos program?
True but I have seen examples in the past where some of our Kahuku kids left Kahukus Football program to go to the mainland (Utah/California/Nevada) for various reasons and gotten college scholarships (JC,D1,D2) whereas if they stayed at Kahuku there was no college interest at all and a few of them wouldnt even have started for Kahuku their senior year.

unpaid wrote: Recruiting has nearly become a science...although I would argue it is an inexact science. Parents and kids need to realize that if their kid is all-state or all-league ,that really means nothing to a college recruiter. They are all about the measurables and metrics and game film. It means your kid could be playing for a three-time state champion and not get an offer,while a kid with upside and measurables ie 40 times from a 4-6 program gets a scholy.
You can also mention that Hawaii High School Football players have the isolation of being on an island going against them, you have to be pretty outstanding for a college to want to look at you because there are tons of average footballers on the mainland why waste time coming to hawaii for average talent?
-------------------

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

huki-lau-lau,

I agree that geography is the problem for average athletes.Those athletes would normally be recruited on the mainlaind . JC,and NCAA IIand III schools don't have the recruiting budgets generally to pick up average athletes in the middle of the Pacific Ocean when they can find all they can sign on the mainland much closer to them.

I would say that geography is less of a factor with each passing year when it comes to top talent all the way out in the islands,because the top Division one programs do have the budget to cover the top island players and find out about them....and they are getting their share obviously.

dirtylickens

Post by dirtylickens »

If i might add my two cents to the whole recruiting and Division I/II scholarship situation. Majority of the high school football players we will watch this coming season will not play after high school. A very small percentage of that will go to a Division 1 school on a full ride scholarship. This coming class of 2014 (2015 graduates) are amongst the most talented we've had in a long time. But I believe that much more important than the program in which your child plays for, is how you SELL your child to a college coach. One prime example of this would be the Fehoko family. Anyone who watches the news during football season will hear a weekly shpiel about how Vili the Warriors son is the next defensive stud out of the state. Ive followed Hawaii high school football for a very long time, and the publicity that the Fehoko boys get, is by far the puzzling for me when i think in terms of talent. Yes, Breiden Fehoko has all the measurables, he has put on muscle and bulked up, and the kid looks like he bench presses everyday. But if you really look at the other kids out there from the state that dont have the exposure, Mika Tafua, Rex Manu, and Joe Saula just to name a few D-Lineman. Breiden does not have the game film like Tafua and Manu, and I dont see much pure athleticism like Tafua has. But my point is, the Fehokos sell there kids as division 1 prospects better than anyone in the state. Heck, Manti Te'o was heralded as the best to come out of the state in decades, and I dont believe he was "offered" by Alabama. So as important as the right program, the right fit, and being in the right place at the right time is to getting a scholarship, your chances go up exponentially if you SELL your child to college coaches. Even putting your name on the PIAA website will get you noticed by smaller schools. But if you want a scholarship, and you believe your son deserves one... well then let the tape do the talking, not sending him to another program to try and win a state championship.