More bad news regarding Kaiser Football: Rich Miano Out 4/2

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
Optimus
High-quality H20 provider

More bad news regarding Kaiser Football: Rich Miano Out 4/2

Post by Optimus »

Rich Miano is in the news again...

If have to have a login account to read the entire article, but here is what the preview says
Kaiser High disavows connection to planned carnival

The principal says he told a coach not to use the school's name for the event

By Rosemarie Bernardo

POSTED: 01:30 a.m. HST, Mar 08, 2014

Kaiser High School's principal said neither the school nor its football team is sponsoring an upcoming carnival in Hawaii Kai.

"Kaiser is not sponsoring this carnival," said Principal Justin Mew, adding that the high school does not have any contractual agreements with Kamehameha Schools, E.K. Fernandez Shows or Hawaii Speed and Quickness. Login for more...
http://www.staradvertiser.com/newspremi ... =249106251

*** title Edited by the Moderators 4/2/14 ***

iriehugh
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Re: More bad news regarding Kaiser Football

Post by iriehugh »

Optimus wrote:Rich Miano is in the news again...

If have to have a login account to read the entire article, but here is what the preview says
Kaiser High disavows connection to planned carnival

The principal says he told a coach not to use the school's name for the event

By Rosemarie Bernardo

POSTED: 01:30 a.m. HST, Mar 08, 2014

Kaiser High School's principal said neither the school nor its football team is sponsoring an upcoming carnival in Hawaii Kai.

"Kaiser is not sponsoring this carnival," said Principal Justin Mew, adding that the high school does not have any contractual agreements with Kamehameha Schools, E.K. Fernandez Shows or Hawaii Speed and Quickness. Login for more...
http://www.staradvertiser.com/newspremi ... =249106251

Miano is getting a lot of HK people talking. With no Kaiser involvement, is all the money going to him, I mean, his spped and quickness and football? That's it? Nothing to the school or copmmunity? Fishy. Just as fishy as him leaving his SPED job to become a Stevadore? With that added to Fisher living with him, the other EA job at Kaiser, Miano is not leaving a good impression. And all the ikei stuff. Was the State title worth it?

TheDuke
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by TheDuke »

Did Miano advertise or claim that the carnival was sponsored by the Kaiser Football team?

Some guys run fundraisers by selling sweet bread. Some sell malasadas. Others sell huli huli chicken. Some sell girl scout cookies.

So Miano puts on his thinking cap and thinks out side of the box and comes up with a carnival. What's the big deal?

He is investing his money and his time. It is called being an entrepreneur. If he can raise some money and donates it to a HS football team and make some money I can't see anything wrong with that. He has assumed all the risk. More people should think like that. Why isn't UH running a carnival to raise money for athletics?

Punahou has a carnival. Mckinley has or used to have a carnival. Why not?

iriehugh
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by iriehugh »

TheDuke wrote:Did Miano advertise or claim that the carnival was sponsored by the Kaiser Football team?

Some guys run fundraisers by selling sweet bread. Some sell malasadas. Others sell huli huli chicken. Some sell girl scout cookies.

So Miano puts on his thinking cap and thinks out side of the box and comes up with a carnival. What's the big deal?

He is investing his money and his time. It is called being an entrepreneur. If he can raise some money and donates it to a HS football team and make some money I can't see anything wrong with that. He has assumed all the risk. More people should think like that. Why isn't UH running a carnival to raise money for athletics?

Star Advertiser says just his team and speed and quickness. Couple days later, principal at Kaiser says they have nothing to do with the carnival. I agree that he did put on the thinking cap. But he advertised it as a fundraiser for Kaiser football without the permission of the school. Kind of embarrassing when your principal has to have a big article saying they are not involved? I'm all for helping out high school athletics, but I also know rules about using schools names. If was 100% for Kaiser Athletics, I'm all good. Kaiser Athletics promotes the "One Family" concept. Not too much one family if the money going into football only and speed and quickness???? What about the bowling team? Maybe they can have a booth.

rrforlifebaby
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by rrforlifebaby »

Hmmmm, is Miano a mormon? lol

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

Coach Miano has done a lot of good for Kaiser football.

The problem seems to be that he is trying to replicate a college atmosphere with the program and the players even though it's a high school program. Miano needs to accept the fact that he is a high school coach,working with high school kids,at a high school.Things he could do at UH aren't going to necessarily fly at the prep level.

If he really wants that college atmosphere so badly,he needs to get a college job again. Otherwise,he will just keep on until the new principal has enough incidents to tell him to leave.JMO.

iriehugh
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by iriehugh »

unpaid wrote:Coach Miano has done a lot of good for Kaiser football.

The problem seems to be that he is trying to replicate a college atmosphere with the program and the players even though it's a high school program. Miano needs to accept the fact that he is a high school coach,working with high school kids,at a high school.Things he could do at UH aren't going to necessarily fly at the prep level.

If he really wants that college atmosphere so badly,he needs to get a college job again. Otherwise,he will just keep on until the new principal has enough incidents to tell him to leave.JMO.

I completely agree with this. He has done good, but it is college like. Well said. Mahalos

westside.gee

Post by westside.gee »

I always felt that Miano had a chip on his shoulder for not being taken seriously at UH as a potential head coach or another greater role. So it seems to me that he is taking his frustrations out on the high school level and trying to prove something to the state of Hawaii.

iriehugh
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by iriehugh »

Another article about Miano.......questions with Speed And Quickness money. Funny how Miano's wife makes double than him.....well, on paper that is. I think HK community should ask to see how this money from the carnival gets dispersed. Hope the Cougars can maintain in D1 next season. Hate to see him leave after investing so much. But he has applied to both Kamehameha and St Louis, so who knows???

MauiGuy
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by MauiGuy »

I would feel that this is somewhat bittersweet if I were a Kaiser Alum. He's worked so hard to get the program back to a highly respected level (competition wise) and have the community believe in him and the Cougs, then tries to jump ship! What does this teach the kids? How about the kids he's "recruited" that believe in him and his program? They've abandoned their district schools to play for him at Kaiser. Do they get left behind? Coach M, kids want stability. They need it. You've done some amazing things at Kaiser and you should see this through. Just my thoughts...

Old Diver
All-conference
All-conference

Post by Old Diver »

1. The principle was asked if a carnival could be held on campus to benefit the academic and sports programs. He turned it down because he said he was too busy.
2. The carnivals main beneficiary is the speed and quickness clinic because the principle didn't want to have anything to do with the carnival. Miano will then make a donation to the football team.
3. The newspaper article said Miano did not file any non profit status reports with the Attorney Generals office. This after the reporter was shown the reports which were confirmed with the Attorney Generals Office. The reporter called Rich to apologize and said the SA will print a retraction. Damage done.

iriehugh
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by iriehugh »

Old Diver wrote:1. The principle was asked if a carnival could be held on campus to benefit the academic and sports programs. He turned it down because he said he was too busy.
2. The carnivals main beneficiary is the speed and quickness clinic because the principle didn't want to have anything to do with the carnival. Miano will then make a donation to the football team.
3. The newspaper article said Miano did not file any non profit status reports with the Attorney Generals office. This after the reporter was shown the reports which were confirmed with the Attorney Generals Office. The reporter called Rich to apologize and said the SA will print a retraction. Damage done.

Can't blame Kaiser principal. In the wake of all the cap going on there from Sosa, the old principal, he got more things to worry about. Rich asked him with only a month or 2 notice. If he had a date 6 months away, Kaiser would have been on board. Have a carnival without going to a single community board meeting? Come on! Another shady Miano move. What about Miano at Kaiser in his teaching job. My nephew was in his class. The Aid ran the class, the Miano quit to go be a stevadore. What about the whole year before when he was an EA, but never showed? Why was he quickly put into a teaching job when they were doing an investigation of the school? Come on! Good coaches ruin their legacy when they get greedy. Watch, this is going to happen.

dnl1016
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by dnl1016 »

Is rich even the coach?? Word was going around that he was out as coach....

Old Diver
All-conference
All-conference

Post by Old Diver »

dnl1016 wrote:Is rich even the coach?? Word was going around that he was out as coach....
Heh, Probably a rumor started by the "I Hate Rich Miano Club". Rich is still the coach.

thanohano44
All-conference
All-conference
MLB: baseball aint a sport.
NBA: Suns
NFL: Raiders

Post by thanohano44 »

TheDuke wrote:Did Miano advertise or claim that the carnival was sponsored by the Kaiser Football team?

JUST WIN BABY-Al Davis