More bad news regarding Kaiser Football: Rich Miano Out 4/2

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
EASTHONFAN
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Re: More bad news regarding Kaiser Football: Rich Miano Out

Post by EASTHONFAN »

Did Saint Louis play Mater Dei? Or was it De La Salle? I know Kahuku played Long Beach Poly on the same day. Saint Louis also traveled to Las Vegas several times. Who did they play? I know Kahuku has a lot of home grown talent but to say that all the kids that played there are from that district is not a true statement. There has always been kids transferring schools to play football even Waianae. Ask anyone in Nanakuli. Does this mean that no school or coach has built a dynasty? Any school or coach that have had multiple consecutive state or prep bowl championship can lay claim to having a dynasty. Regardless of having transfers on his teams.

studfinder
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by studfinder »

EASTHONFAN wrote:Did Saint Louis play Mater Dei? Or was it De La Salle? I know Kahuku played Long Beach Poly on the same day. Saint Louis also traveled to Las Vegas several times. Who did they play? I know Kahuku has a lot of home grown talent but to say that all the kids that played there are from that district is not a true statement. There has always been kids transferring schools to play football even Waianae. Ask anyone in Nanakuli. Does this mean that no school or coach has built a dynasty? Any school or coach that have had multiple consecutive state or prep bowl championship can lay claim to having a dynasty. Regardless of having transfers on his teams.
Transferring to Waianae in a 7 mile radius from Nanakuli and a kid who transferred to Kaiser in a 200+ mile radius is different, don't you think? Coming from Konawaena, Ewa, Kaimuki, Mililani, and Lord knows where else to play football for another "public" school, estimated 22 players came in? Many kids who were already enrolled at Waianae and got Hawaiian homes in Nanakuli got GE exceptions. Kahuku has transfers because of the Mormon church, not football. Waianae's last great prep bowl team had 3 transfers from Nanakuli on a 65 player roster. Kaiser had how many on their 60 man team? My dad coached pop warner teams in the St. Louis "dynasty" era from 1983 to the 90's, every time a St. Louis rep would come by ask about a kid and ask who were their parents. Next thing you know, their at St. Louis, back in the grade they left the previous year prior and ready to play an extra year of football.

EASTHONFAN
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by EASTHONFAN »

Is Kaiser a dynasty? No I did not say that.
Waianae use to have kids from Nanakuli, Eva, Waipahu, Pearl city.etc.
Saint Louis was recruiting long before Cal was the coach there. The ILH schools have been doing it for ever but, Saint Louis would get the creme of the crop. Why? Now Punahou gets the creme of the crop. Why? Every family has there own reason why they choose to transfer or stay at a particular school.
Personally, I don't have a problem with kids transferring schools for athletic reasons. However in these times of political correctness and fair play, and why is my kid not getting playing time my opinions are in the minority. What I'm trying to say is do we take away the accomplishments of coaches like Ginoza, Velasco, Chai, Diaz, Bray, Simone, Livai, Torres, York, Ane and many others because they had transfers on their teams. I don't think so.

huki-lau-lau
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by huki-lau-lau »

EASTHONFAN wrote:Did Saint Louis play Mater Dei? Or was it De La Salle? I know Kahuku played Long Beach Poly on the same day. Saint Louis also traveled to Las Vegas several times. Who did they play? I know Kahuku has a lot of home grown talent but to say that all the kids that played there are from that district is not a true statement. There has always been kids transferring schools to play football even Waianae. Ask anyone in Nanakuli. Does this mean that no school or coach has built a dynasty? Any school or coach that have had multiple consecutive state or prep bowl championship can lay claim to having a dynasty. Regardless of having transfers on his teams.
You are correct it was DeLaSalle a private school that also recruits heavy in California.

Agree with studfinder that the way kahuku/waianae get there transfers is a little different from what we witnessed from Mililani and Kaiser last year.

kahuku and waianae established themselves as a powerhouse in the 70's, 80's and 90's it was all homegrown kids and because of that rich tradition in football the alumni that move away to a different town (nanakuli) or even state (utah,california) send their kids back to their alma mater to continue the tradition. its basically transfering because of bloodline. Kahuku has a rich bloodline and also the mormon church along with BYUH university that some of the NEW pacific island familys move into the area.

I commend york and miano for being great salesmen because regardless of what school they are coaching at they would still be able to influence kids to come play for THEM and not necessarily the school and that is the main difference why people attach the word "recruit" when we talk about york and miano. Kahuku can change coaches and still win because its the school that kids want to play for.

I personally see kahukus football dynasty as the schools dynasty and not livai or torres dynasty because the talent is consistent enough every decade to win championships regardless of who is at the helm.
-------------------

EASTHONFAN
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by EASTHONFAN »

Lii Karratti's dad played at Kaiser moved his family from Kona to Hawaii Kai. Only five or six kids transferred to Kaiser when Miano took over.
Many of the 22 so called transfers were already at Kaiser playing for the 1-9 team prior to Miano's arrival. Most of those players such as Fisiiahi, Palu, Choi etc. played Halos football in Hawaii Kai.
When Miano arrived a lot of kids that did not play football the year prior to Miano decided to play football (Bitanga, Kahunanui etc.). Those that transferred to Kailua transferred back to Kaiser ( Gonda, Makaneole, etc.)
Buntebah transfered to Kaiser for soccer 2012-2013 soccer season wasn't planning on playing football until he met Ikei and Miano. The media blew up the story when Miano said the infamous word recruiting on his interview.

FASBOY'90
Starter
Starter

Post by FASBOY'90 »

huki-lau-lau wrote:
studfinder wrote:
Miano did not build a dynasty, he recruited a dynasty. Building a dynasty is Waianae and Kahuku, natural born kids playing for their community and taking their teams to the championships and winning titles, year after year. Even Cal Lee's St. Louis teams were not a true dynasty, first off, they were the first to recruit big time around the state and 2nd their kids would've been 5th year high school seniors. It is amazing how a kid matures if he had one more year of high school eligibilty left to play ball. In my freshman in college, I felt so much different that when I played my senior year, that extra year of maturity helped a lot both metally and physically.
in High school building a dynasty is using the local community and public resources along with your own geographic population and do what you can to improve a program.
To the purests in here, cal, miano and york would have astericks next to their championship titles.

- cals 1990's dynasty was based on recruiting superior talent around the island and holding them back one year in order to get an advantage over the other Oahu schools that were not doing those things. When stlouis played other mainland private schools that were also recruiting (ie mater dei) they lost. On a even playing field they lost.

In college and pros its a business and recruiting is part of it. If you cant get good talent to come and play for you then you shouldnt be coaching in college.

Rich miano, cal lee, rod york are coaches that are trying to turn high school football into a business. Once you start influencing more then a few talented kids outside of your district to come and play for you so that you can win then you are treating your program as a business.

As far as Rich Miano, he is passionate about the sport and we all seen how much he loves hawaii football at all levels, I think we dont give him enough credit for being an influencer and role model to younger athletes.
First and foremost, building a dynasty doesn't have to come from players residing only within the community. As long as you win it all consistently, that's basically all that matters. Winner's go down on the record books and in history. The losers are forgotten and never remembered, at least no one wants to remember the aggenoing of defeat.

Kahuku is just the same as any other OIA, ILH school and has players that come from all walks of life, near and far. Many of the athletes and there parents are attracted too and would want to play for a successful winning program. It's almost like that UH saying, "If you win? They will come. If you lose? No one gives a ripped an won't show up." Some players are not originally from the community, some are from the Mainland, Samoa, Tonga and else where. Some transfer because of family members or know of someone that live within the community. I know quite a few very good athletes who have transferred to Kahuku to play ball there.

As far as Cal Lee and St.Louis. Cal Lee was doing far more advanced things with the program that no other high program in the state was doing and it all started with the off-season work outs. Speed and misdirection with the double slot that created open spaces, separation and one on one match ups where nightmares for high school defensive coordinators. From 1986-1998 opposing coaches couldn't figure out how to stop it. In '94 '95 '98, Kahuku kept it close by beefing up there offense and followed the June Jones motto, "If you can't stop your opponents from scoring, at least match the score for score on offense." In '96 Waianae used a more traditional hard nox defensive method but just couldn't get points on the board losing 7 naddaz. Now many of us may think recruiting was a factor in St. Louis's success, I can tell you that a lady by the name of Susan who was affiliated with Palama Settlement back in the '80s helped many low income kids get into private schools, not only St. Louis. Some kids chose to attend UH lab, UH, Maryknoll, HPA or Lutheran which was all part of the Pac 5 program. Some even chose to attend Iolani and Punahou. Palama had a financial assistance program that helped pay for a portion of a student athletes tuition in attending a private school. With so many options to chose from, and the recognition and early success of the football programs where having at the time, many student athletes where attracted to the programs. In the bigginning of St.Louis dominance, Manley Williams, Tupu Alualu, and Selila Malepeai where just a few names that joined the program. A traditional transition followed after wards with Meki Malepeai, Roy Ma'afala, Chris Fuamatu Ma'afala, Pulou Tata and Vai Tata who are cousins to the Malepeai's, Tysons Alualu, Kone an Peter Salavea just to name a few, and all these guys lived in one place, Mayor Wright Housing.

Back in 1982, Pac 5 Donnie Ma'a, Joe Onosai and company defeated Waianae 14-7 for there very first State Championship game. The year after, St. Louis, Clayton Mahuka an company defeated, Nanakuli, only to return the following year to get shut out 10 zip too Leilehua. The year after that in 1985 PAC 5 returned to the title game with, Garrett Gabriel, Pio Sagapolutele and company and demolished, Waianae 56-7. Remember, ILH schools are far more advanced than OIA schools when it comes to education. When the opportunity comes for student athlete to be accepted in attending an ILH school, especially one that has a very successful football program, than its pretty much a no brainner. After Garrett Gabriel, Joe Onosai and company won the Prep Bowl in 1985, St. Louis was unstoppable all the way to 1998.

Many parents want what's best for there kid(s). What ever advantages, opportunities or information they can obtain to benefit the success of there kid(s), that's the direction they are going. That's life and that's the reality of it all. Back in the days, rarely there would be football clinics or camps available. When football was done, for most schools the break was a long one. Summer camps always had two a days, today there's rarely any, if not none. Every football program runs an off-season work out year round which benefits that program. There are big boy league teams that feed into the community high schools. The kids today have the upper edge and the advantages than those in the past. Much more stronger, quicker, and advanced. If one goes, the rest will follow.

Always a blessing to be with a program that benefits your kid(s).

huki-lau-lau
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by huki-lau-lau »

Nice insights and info fasboy90
FASBOY'90 wrote:
Kahuku is just the same as any other OIA, ILH school and has players that come from all walks of life, near and far. Many of the athletes and there parents are attracted too and would want to play for a successful winning program. It's almost like that UH saying, "If you win? They will come. If you lose? No one gives a ripped an won't show up." Some players are not originally from the community, some are from the Mainland, Samoa, Tonga and else where. Some transfer because of family members or know of someone that live within the community. I know quite a few very good athletes who have transferred to Kahuku to play ball there.
at kahuku the slight difference as I explained in previous post is that the core of kahukus winning teams are all homegrown kids, if any transfers come in they only add to an already strong team, unlike mililani where if vae vae is not there last year they probably dont win the OIA, if ader/malepeai/silva and manu are not there they are mid to bottom of their division. Same with kaiser, the transfers decide the outcome of their football season.

2011/12 Kahukus double title run all the kids were homegrown in fact I dont know one transfer kid that started.
I dont have my thinking cap on right now but in recent memory the only notable transfer that made an impact on kahuku winning games was in 2008/09 cameron mercado and he was a kicker. Other then that kahuku doesnt rely on talent transfereing in and that is what seperates them from most other schools.

not to mention the manti teos, georg ornellas, wes tufagas and many other big time players that leave kahuku and play at ILH schools every year.
FASBOY'90 wrote:
It's almost like that UH saying, "If you win? They will come. If you lose? No one gives a ripped an won't show up."
actually losing at kahuku is bad and adds motivation to comeback stronger
-------------------

Ulchiro5ga
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by Ulchiro5ga »

Miano was on Leahey & Leahey last nite (4/9/14) and gave some insight into all the factors involved with his decision to resign. Also he briefly mentioned alot of issues. Was interesting too me. I think KHET PBS replays Leahey & Leahey on sunday afternoon, if anyone want to catch it...

FASBOY'90
Starter
Starter

Post by FASBOY'90 »

huki-lau-lau wrote:Nice insights and info fasboy90

20112011//12 Kahukus double title run all the kids were homegrown in fact I dont know one transfer kid that started.
I dont have my thinking cap on right now but in recent memory the only notable transfer that made an impact on kahuku winning games was in 2008/09 cameron mercado and he was a kicker. Other then that kahuku doesnt rely on talent transfereing in and that is what seperates them from most other schools.

not to mention the manti teos, georg ornellas, wes tufagas and many other big time players that leave kahuku and play at ILH schools every year.
Your right, and there where at least 7 players from Kahuku, all starters if I'm not mistaken playing at Punahou. Now you maybe right on the homegrown kids out in the country. BYUH, and the Mormon Church have a huge impact in the community. Not just the home grown kids, the kids that move to, Laie from else where due to strong ties, church mission, or relatives that live in the community. Word also travels on the success of the program.
actually losing at kahuku is bad and adds motivation to comeback stronger
I would have to agree with that, though with BYUH shutting down there athletics in the next three years, that may affect the reinforcement amount of talent flowing into Kahuku. We'll just have to wait an see. I'm hoping that three years is enough time for someone to come in an save the athletic programs at BYUH.

eonatoa
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by eonatoa »

Ulchiro5ga wrote:Miano was on Leahey & Leahey last nite (4/9/14) and gave some insight into all the factors involved with his decision to resign. Also he briefly mentioned alot of issues. Was interesting too me. I think KHET PBS replays Leahey & Leahey on sunday afternoon, if anyone want to catch it...
Care to share some of the things he talked about?

EASTHONFAN
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by EASTHONFAN »

You can watch it on YouTube. Search Leahey and Leahey former kaiser football coach. Also you can wAtch last weeks episode with Reggie Torres

eonatoa
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by eonatoa »

EASTHONFAN wrote:You can watch it on YouTube. Search Leahey and Leahey former kaiser football coach. Also you can wAtch last weeks episode with Reggie Torres
Oooh, nice! Thanks!

SM96753
All-conference
All-conference

Post by SM96753 »

FASBOY'90 wrote: As far as Cal Lee and St.Louis. Cal Lee was doing far more advanced things with the program that no other high program in the state was doing and it all started with the off-season work outs. Speed and misdirection with the double slot that created open spaces, separation and one on one match ups where nightmares for high school defensive coordinators. From 1986-1998 opposing coaches couldn't figure out how to stop it. In '94 '95 '98, Kahuku kept it close by beefing up there offense and followed the June Jones motto, "If you can't stop your opponents from scoring, at least match the score for score on offense." In '96 Waianae used a more traditional hard nox defensive method but just couldn't get points on the board losing 7 naddaz. Now many of us may think recruiting was a factor in St. Louis's success, I can tell you that a lady by the name of Susan who was affiliated with Palama Settlement back in the '80s helped many low income kids get into private schools, not only St. Louis. Some kids chose to attend UH lab, UH, Maryknoll, HPA or Lutheran which was all part of the Pac 5 program. Some even chose to attend Iolani and Punahou. Palama had a financial assistance program that helped pay for a portion of a student athletes tuition in attending a private school. With so many options to chose from, and the recognition and early success of the football programs where having at the time, many student athletes where attracted to the programs. In the bigginning of St.Louis dominance, Manley Williams, Tupu Alualu, and Selila Malepeai where just a few names that joined the program. A traditional transition followed after wards with Meki Malepeai, Roy Ma'afala, Chris Fuamatu Ma'afala, Pulou Tata and Vai Tata who are cousins to the Malepeai's, Tysons Alualu, Kone an Peter Salavea just to name a few, and all these guys lived in one place, Mayor Wright Housing.
Excellent post FASBOY'90! I thought that myself and my "inner circle" of prep football fans were the only one's that new of the things that you mentioned above (in great detail).

You hit the nail on the head. You must be an insider to the program at St. Louis. I like your knowledge!

EASTHONFAN
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by EASTHONFAN »

Did you know that Ron and Cal were doing it (offseason training, double slot offense) at Kaiiser during the 70s and finally put together a Prep bowl championship team in 1979 with kids from all over the island. Cal and Ron left Kaiser and eventually ended up at Saint Louis to build their dynasty. How long did it take them (Cal and Ron) to win their first championship at Saintt Louis? And yes Sue is a wonderful lady that gave under previllage kids an opportunity for a better education. Mahalo Sue for everything. Coach Vinnie Passas is the man. I hope he stays at Saint Louis?

FASBOY'90
Starter
Starter

Post by FASBOY'90 »

EASTHONFAN wrote:Did you know that Ron and Cal were doing it (offseason training, double slot offense) at Kaiiser during the 70s and finally put together a Prep bowl championship team in 1979 with kids from all over the island. Cal and Ron left Kaiser and eventually ended up at Saint Louis to build their dynasty. How long did it take them (Cal and Ron) to win their first championship at Saintt Louis? And yes Sue is a wonderful lady that gave under previllage kids an opportunity for a better education. Mahalo Sue for everything. Coach Vinnie Passas is the man. I hope he stays at Saint Louis?
Let's see, coach Cal started his coaching career in 1971 with Willamette University as a GA. The college he and all his brothers played at. The year after in 1972 he started his high school coaching career as an assistant coach at St. Louis under his eldest brother Tommy who was the head coach. The following year he applied for the head coaching job at St. Louis after Tommy only was head coach for a season, than returned to Willamette University as an assistant coach. Cal applied to replace Tommy at Saint Louis. That same off-season, Ron, applied for the head coaching position at Kalani, where he was working as an assistant. Both agreed to join the other's staff if one got a head coaching job and the other didn't. By the time the season rolled around, both were leading their respective programs. Ron later took over the head coaching position at Kaiser, where Cal joined him as an assistant in 1973. Together, they led the Cougars to four consecutive Honolulu District titles and a Prep Bowl championship in 1979. This was the last year for both Ron and Cal at Kaiser.

So to answer your question it took 6 seasons at Kaiser to finally win the title. He than took a two year break from coaching and was hired as the head coach at St. Louis from 1982-2001 where he lead the Crusaders to 14 Prep Bowl tiles, 18 ILH titles, and a State Title in 1999.

In 2003 he then took the head coaching job in Hawaii's first professional arena football team, The Hawaiian Islanders.

From 2004-2011 he coached at the University of Hawaii.

Than in 2012-2013 he was the DC at Kalani.

Today 2014 he is once again the head coach at St. Louis High School.