Iolani Bball stall ball

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
Optimus
High-quality H20 provider

Iolani Bball stall ball

Post by Optimus »

For decades, Iolani has used a stall offense to win games.
While it has proved to lead to many State Titles, it sure is damn boring to watch.
How do you high school observers feel about their game plan?

DA SCOUT

Re: Iolani Bball stall ball

Post by DA SCOUT »

although frustrating to watch if you are the team that is down on the score board, bottom line is you scheme to win, in their case they got the lead and worked the clock. farrington had plenty chances to keep it out of the stall ball, but they just did not get the ball in the hoop. until they put a shot clock in play for high school B Ball we will continue to see the trend especially in the ILH. Hats off to Iolani for a well played championship game

SectionACrazy
Starter
Starter
MLB: The Redinals and CardiSox
NBA: Boston Celtics since 70s
NFL: SF 49ers

Post by SectionACrazy »

First off-Congratulations to Iolani....well played.

Also, congratulations to the Farrington Governors for a great season. You done, not only your school, but the alumni, community, and anyone who has stepped on our Kalihi campus, whether as a student, teacher, and/or staff member, very very proud.

My era of FHS was in the early 80s of Coach Kashiwamura and the "Run, Gun, and have Fun" of Coach Pacarro.
As much as I too, favor the run style of game, as a spectator and playing pick-up and league, I would hate to see the strategy of a stall go away. Especially for teams with lesser talent, size, or whatever reason, it is a great equalizer stratigically.
When I coached league, there were times we'd be short of players that we were forced to slow the tempo waaaay low, which surprised opponents because of our reputation of running and pressing.

If a shot clock were to be implemented, what is the suggested time among those in charge? I heard some pre-season tourneys used a shot clock...what was the amount of time they used and how did it workout? Not so much for entertainment, but teams who were overwhelming underdogs. Would not having a shot clock determine a closer game or even a different outcome?
If a shot clock has to come into play, I'd say make it a 45 second clock. 35, 30,..I think, still has a more than enough edge to the favorites.

gridiron22
Pine rider
Pine rider
NBA: LakersChargers
NFL: chargers

Post by gridiron22 »

I thought the Iolani football team not wanting to leave D2 was a laugh.
Stall tactics in basketball.....lol

I think we all already know what to expect from Iolani sports. Not hating...just very amused.

homes808
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by homes808 »

The only way to combat this is to install the shot clock in Hawaii. 35 seconds for boys and 30 seconds for girls. Not having a shot clock really hurts the players who aspire to play at the next level. A lot of strategy and pace of play is hampered due to this. With that said Iolani plays within the rules and has a lot of success with stall ball. It is difficult to watch but it is effective and produces State Championships.

giversgain
Starter
Starter

Post by giversgain »

homes808 wrote:The only way to combat this is to install the shot clock in Hawaii. 35 seconds for boys and 30 seconds for girls. Not having a shot clock really hurts the players who aspire to play at the next level. A lot of strategy and pace of play is hampered due to this. With that said Iolani plays within the rules and has a lot of success with stall ball. It is difficult to watch but it is effective and produces State Championships.
I agree 100%. What Iolani is doing is totally legal and their kids are taught well! However HS bball in Hawaii needs a shot clock, even if it's only for the tournament.

Ramashack

Post by Ramashack »

giversgain wrote:
homes808 wrote:The only way to combat this is to install the shot clock in Hawaii. 35 seconds for boys and 30 seconds for girls. Not having a shot clock really hurts the players who aspire to play at the next level. A lot of strategy and pace of play is hampered due to this. With that said Iolani plays within the rules and has a lot of success with stall ball. It is difficult to watch but it is effective and produces State Championships.
I agree 100%. What Iolani is doing is totally legal and their kids are taught well! However HS bball in Hawaii needs a shot clock, even if it's only for the tournament.
I don't really care either way, shot clock or not, but I wouldn't support changing tournament rules to be different from regular season rules. Don't think you should determine the contestants based on one set of rules then compete based on another set.

MauiGuy
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by MauiGuy »

I agree that the games become boring and barely watchable at times. It does, however, come down to coaching. The shot-clock would be a great addition to the Hawai'i High School rules. It helps to foster an up-tempo style of play, which in turn sells tickets.

As for the teams who are frustrated with stall ball, don't fall behind. They (stall offense) can't stall if they're down on the scoreboard...

westside.gee

Post by westside.gee »

MauiGuy wrote:I agree that the games become boring and barely watchable at times. It does, however, come down to coaching. The shot-clock would be a great addition to the Hawai'i High School rules. It helps to foster an up-tempo style of play, which in turn sells tickets.

As for the teams who are frustrated with stall ball, don't fall behind. They (stall offense) can't stall if they're down on the scoreboard...
I would rather lose the title game knowing that we went all out and left it all on the court, rather then win playing stall ball and lose all respect from your competitors and their fans and maybe even the whole state as indicated by the peoples comments on the internet and social media.

soleu
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by soleu »

Iolani won fair and square, even if they played more keep away than basketball. It's the leagues' fault for letting teams get away with this cheap and cowardly tactic. Put a shot clock up and let the kids play basketball. 35 seconds is perfect.

WHAT I REALLY DON'T GET
Iolani can't play D1 Football because "other teams are too big are of a higher caliber".

Meanwhile their Bball team was one of the biggest this year and continues to recruit top level talent.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

soleu wrote:Iolani won fair and square, even if they played more keep away than basketball. It's the leagues' fault for letting teams get away with this cheap and cowardly tactic. Put a shot clock up and let the kids play basketball. 35 seconds is perfect.

WHAT I REALLY DON'T GET
Iolani can't play D1 Football because "other teams are too big are of a higher caliber".

Meanwhile their Bball team was one of the biggest this year and continues to recruit top level talent.
If Danny Matsumoto left Waianae to be the head guy at Iolani they'd be willing to go D1. I never heard him cry about playing Kahuku, Mililani and St. Louis 2x, not to mention the gauntlet of other OIA West teams besides Mililani, in 2010, with a smaller team than what Iolani is used to. I do hope the ILH sticks to their plan of making Iolani play D1 in 2015.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

fanoffb
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by fanoffb »

Let me preface this by stating that I don't like Iolani's style of basketball. It limits opportunities and just isn't great to watch.

That being said, there is nothing in the rules that says they can't play this style. Yes a shot clock would change their style, but is a rule change necessary because one team is finding a way to win within the rules? I'm trying to think of something comparable and there just isn't anything that comes to mind immediately. I wonder if other teams might mimic Iolani's style given the success the Raiders enjoyed this year. There were other teams that were more athletic this year, and teams with better basketball players, but it seems like Iolani just got better as the season went on. I'm not a fan of this style of play but they did what worked for them within the rules. If other coaches could have planned and strategized better, I'm sure they would have had success against Iolani's style of play.

FASBOY'90
Starter
Starter

Post by FASBOY'90 »

Farrington came a long way and they earned every right to be in the title game. Iolani has earned that respect as well. I would have to agree that shot clock or not, stall or no stall, Iolani won strait up regardless of what people may think on the stall. There game plan was a success and they utilize the state tournament rules efficiently. If Farrington was up by a bunch and they decided to stall and utilize the rules to prevent an Iolani comeback, what would the outcome look like then? Sure the game is boring, but thats the name of the game and that's how to win a state high school basketball championship. Hard luck to the govs, would have loved to see an OIA team bring the title back home for once. Better luck next year. Congratulations to both teams for an outstanding season.

BTW Semisi was a beast out on the court. If looks could kill, Iolani would be ma'ke, lol.

westside.gee

Post by westside.gee »

go down like a MAN, SWINGING...literally. The UFC has taken MANHOOD to a new level and these MMA fights that millions of kids and fans are watching has set a universal tone of respect for bravery to the victor and defeated in all sports. No excuses, no BS. I dont want to win against an out of shape Tito Ortiz, I want Tito at his best so when I beat him down I beat the best that he had to offer.

Stalling in basketball is not a strategy and does nothing to show your superiority over the opponent. Its a cowardly act that taints your win and in this case the state title, at least in my eyes.

iriehugh
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by iriehugh »

westside.gee wrote:go down like a MAN, SWINGING...literally. The UFC has taken MANHOOD to a new level and these MMA fights that millions of kids and fans are watching has set a universal tone of respect for bravery to the victor and defeated in all sports. No excuses, no BS. I dont want to win against an out of shape Tito Ortiz, I want Tito at his best so when I beat him down I beat the best that he had to offer.

Stalling in basketball is not a strategy and does nothing to show your superiority over the opponent. Its a cowardly act that taints your win and in this case the state title, at least in my eyes.
Stalling is like the no huddle offense in football, a strategy. Now they talking about making a rule in football to not allow this no huddle. In wrestling, if you up by points with 20 seconds left, are you going to try and go for the pin or stall the final 20 seconds to win the match? I think 99.9% will say win the match. No need be tough guy, win the match! Every win is not a pin. Just like basketball. A stall is a tactic to win. If your son was on the State Championship team on a team that stalled, would you count that win??? That's what you got to ask yourself. Is is boring? Hell yes. Is it in the rules? Hell yes.