Iolani Bball stall ball

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
FASBOY'90
Starter
Starter

Re: Iolani Bball stall ball

Post by FASBOY'90 »

soleu wrote:
FASBOY'90 wrote:When a team falls behind and watches the team that's up stalling to score, blame the coach who's team is losing for not having a strategy to counter the stall to force a turn over. No pressure, more time to stall, what ever works to win the game.
Easy to say, hard to watch, even harder to respect.
It is a shame, but it is what it is and as long as the rule is in place, sad to say that teams will continue to utilize the stalling game to there advantage regardless of the respect they don't receive from it. The only thing that matters is the win. The winning team is always remembered, the losing team is forgotten.

rrforlifebaby
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by rrforlifebaby »

Bottom line….execution. Until a shot clock is implemented, team's like Iolani will continue to run their version of a stall offense. It really is no different when football team's get a lead and then rely on their running game to play keep away.

If you watched the championship game, Iolani's stall game isn't the classic 4 square offense. There is consistent ball movement…eventually, the defense breaks down and Iolani takes advantage.

Again, it's not like the Govs didn't have their opportunities. Who know's how the game would've turned out if the Govs just were able to sink a few more shots….at the end, Govs only lost by 3.

shooter808
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by shooter808 »

westside.gee wrote:
shooter808 wrote:
I don't like stall ball either.

But how is it all on the stalling team? It is a strategy, like low kicks in MMA. Not real exciting and not how a real man fights "going down swinging" but it is effective in situations. You don't like it? Check the low kicks and hurt the kicker.

Just like stalling. Practice and prepare for the stall and make it ineffective. Full court press, pressure. If you don't defend the stall, then it's just as much your fault.

It makes teams more complete when they have to prepare for all facets of the game. You play to win. Not go down "swinging like a man"

And if I'm outmatched on my feet. I don't go down swinging like a man, I go in for a double leg and try to pound the guy out. Not try to strike with a better striker. That is strategy and why MMA is more mental than physical if you want to be elite and win.
That is not a good comparison bro, the stall in basketball when comparing to MMA is like throwing combo kicks and punches to score a point or two, then run away from him the rest of the match so he cant hit you and score his own points.

Stalling is not a strategy in BBall, its a cowards plan to play "keep away" plain and simple. The offensive team stalling has no purpose other then to let the clock run out while in the lead. You cant defend the stall because it becomes a game of 4 corners and the offense is not going in any particular direction to where the defense can cut you off, block a shot, make a steal, take on a charge etc..
I know what you're saying but it's not a good comparison. In the UFC you can't do that. Octagon control and aggression = points. You run all round long and you get awarded for a few strikes then dinged for running. Then you get 86ed because you're boring. In the old Pride, you'd get yellow carded and then docked % of your purse. You can't do that strategy.

As RRforlifebaby says it, Iolani doesn't stall out completely. They wait for a mistake and then go in for the score by taking advantage of your breakdown. Actually it's like a vintage Machida fight. Control distance, point strike and only go for the KO if it is there. He would win decisions but lost fans a lot of times.

I happen to like watching Machida's new style better. Same style but a little more aggression.

FASBOY'90
Starter
Starter

Post by FASBOY'90 »

Obviously some people see it differently. I personally am not a fan of the stalling game. It takes away the true nature of the sport, but if it works to a teams advantage on securing the win, and the rules pertaining to the stall applies, than again, regardless if the respect is lost and the negative name calling are thrown to the winning team. All that matters is the win. The winners will always be remembered and go down in history. The losers are forgotten and left in the dust. Sad to say, that's the way the world turns.

BigWave96744

Post by BigWave96744 »

I remember quite a few Red Raider football fans were pissed off that Roosevelt didn't want to go mano-a-mano against them and used a legal and unorthodox offense to knock Kahuku out of the playoffs. :-
Roosevelt uses tricks for treat
Posted on: Tuesday, October 1, 2002

By Wes Nakama Advertiser Staff Writer

Roosevelt coach Lester Parrilla said for the Rough Riders to have a chance against defending state champion Kahuku, he needed to allow his "best athletes to do their thing."

The immediate questions were "What?!?" or "You sure?" or "For real?"
The next question usually was "How can?"

As soon as the news spread late last Friday night and Saturday morning, high school football fans around the state wanted to know how in the world mild-mannered Roosevelt (3-3 overall) knocked off two-time defending state champion Kahuku, 23-13.

The answer, for the most part, is a gimmick offense called the "Duck and Goose."
http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/artic ... sp04a.html

FASBOY'90
Starter
Starter

Post by FASBOY'90 »

There you have it. What ever works to simply win the game. That alone is a sense of accomplishment regardless of the outcome, just win that's the main thing.

SectionACrazy
Starter
Starter
MLB: The Redinals and CardiSox
NBA: Boston Celtics since 70s
NFL: SF 49ers

Post by SectionACrazy »

As I mentioned in an earlier post, I grew up during Coach Pacarro's Run, Gun, and have Fun of Govs bball. Ironically, his end game clock management went something like - up 2 pts with 2 mins left, stall; up 3 with 3 mins, stall. That's it. Other than that, play.

With that in mind, my "compromise" would be to:1) instill a 45 second clock. This allows "lesser" teams to still be able to utilize some clock if they feel they need to use this strategy. and/or 2) shut off the shot clock in the last 2 or 3 mins of the game.

I remember the first time I saw this tactic, was in the late 70s. UH did it at Blaisdell against a rank BYU team led by Danny Ainge. Even then, as a pre-teen, I thought it was a great game plan.

And as another poster said, there are ways to counter stalls. Mine was to press.

Just my 2 cents, Peace out.