How are these high schools getting these new kids?

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
caleyear01
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Re: How are these high schools getting these new kids?

Post by caleyear01 »

westside.gee wrote:I have an aunt in Waipahu who's 3 boys got DE to go to Mililani. The oldest son that graduated in 2011 was a stand out Football player for the Pearl City pop warner league in 2003-05 and was encouraged by Millwood to come and play at Mililani. That opened the door for his younger brothers to also get DE to attend Mililani, the two younger ones (2013,2015) were/are not football players. There are also a handful of other families in Waipahu/Pearl City district that I know of that have their kids getting DE to Mililani (athletes or not).

From what I hear from the parents and the kids is that the Waipahu and Pearl city school district sucks (educational and social). That seems to be the common theme when I hear about transfering/recruiting, if the local schools and administration are not cleaning up their schools to make it more appeasing to their own kids then expect for your talent to find greener pastures.
Dude although I believe you I hate it when ever people claim school districts suck. Especially how you said educationally and socially. I am currently in high school now and as a teenager I can tell you every school is the same. Every school teaches the same curriculum. The students from different schools are all the same. These are local kids we are talking about. Every Football player also acts the same (Not meaning to stereotype football players but they are all the same even at different schools). So I hate how parents move their kids from Waipahu High School and make them go to Pearl City High School for example because every public school in Hawaii is the same! I understand if it was for moving to a public school to a private school but that isn't the situation here.

Neighbor
All-conference
All-conference

Post by Neighbor »

^^I highly doubt you've attended every single Hawaii public school

caleyear01
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by caleyear01 »

Neighbor wrote:^^I highly doubt you've attended every single Hawaii public school
But the students are all the same. I take the bus every where. I see Pearl City kids, I see Waipahu kids, I see Campbell kids, I see Kapolei kids and the list goes on and on......

westside.gee
High-quality H20 provider
High-quality H20 provider

Post by westside.gee »

caleyear01 wrote:
But the students are all the same. I take the bus every where. I see Pearl City kids, I see Waipahu kids, I see Campbell kids, I see Kapolei kids and the list goes on and on......
Yes, thankfully the students in Hawaii are more-or-less the same laid back aloha style. However when it comes to competing for a starting position for any sport at any school, the athlete and his/her parent may feel that they are not maximizing their potential given their current circumstances. So transfering to another school where you may have better re pore with a coach or players becomes attractive.

Remember that there are a multitude of club sports, training camps, summer leagues where student athletes and their parents meet other athletes and coaches from around the island. Now the door has been open to the possibility of transferring to a place where you may be welcomed especially if you are an exceptional athlete.

eonatoa
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by eonatoa »

Im trying to think of what message parents are sending to their kids when they do these things. If you are seeking a DE to go to a school with a good athletic team/program, it means that sports is a higher priority than academics. You also lose some respect from people in your community. Yes ultimately it is the parents choice to do what ever they want to their kids. The other part of that is that the kids will suffer the consequences, be them good or bad. I personally have a hard time understanding the transferring because i am a homegrown kind of guy who attended the school in my hometown and feel proud of it. My family has had 4 generations in our school and my kids will attend the same school. I have learned a sense of pride and tradition, and have also gained a "work hard to succeed" mentality. For those who do the transfer thing, its more like "transfer to find a good team" mentality. These will be the first casualties of the new transfer rule if it goes into effect.

SectionACrazy
Starter
Starter
MLB: The Redinals and CardiSox
NBA: Boston Celtics since 70s
NFL: SF 49ers

Post by SectionACrazy »

Hope I don't get too-off of subject but I'm curious- I live in Mililani (for now?) but still consider myself a Kalihi Boy. As much as I agree that the kid should represent where he/she grew up, I've always thought that at least one of my own kids would attend Farrington, where I graduated, as sort of a family tradition. What would be the general opinion or perception on me as a parent and/or my family, in the community if my child were a key athelete? This "transfer" has no bearing on atheletics but just to have a child of my own to grad as a Gov. Hypothetical, of course and I'd have 'um start as a freshman or earlier.

eonatoa
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by eonatoa »

I think you would get a mix of reactions. The Karratti QB transferred to Kaiser last year from Konawaena. His dad is a Kaiser alumni. I know of a few Kona folks who are upset that he up and left them, especially since he was their star player. Meanwhile in Hawaii Kai, it was a heartwarming reunion for the Karratti family. Ultimately, its up to you.

footballfreak
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by footballfreak »

eonatoa wrote:I think you would get a mix of reactions. The Karratti QB transferred to Kaiser last year from Konawaena. His dad is a Kaiser alumni. I know of a few Kona folks who are upset that he up and left them, especially since he was their star player. Meanwhile in Hawaii Kai, it was a heartwarming reunion for the Karratti family. Ultimately, its up to you.
I believe if you moved in to the neighborhood, that's one thing, but if you used an address temporarily to play a sport, that is wrong. The Karratti family is a Kaiser alumni, but is Li'i still here on O'ahu attending Kaiser?