No More varsity FB at St. Francis?

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
FatherofCody&Casey
Pine rider
Pine rider

No More varsity FB at St. Francis?

Post by FatherofCody&Casey »

The news of Cal Lee coming back overshadowed rumors that the ILH placed a 2-year ban on St. Francis football because of lack of numbers. This begs the question: will the ILH renege on the new rule that would be in place in 2015--if you win consecutive ILH championships as a D2 team you can't be a D2 team the year after? It's also unfortunate being that St. Francis's intermediate team dominated its competition last year. Is JV the only place this year's intermediate FB players can play? And what about the players that'll be juniors and seniors next year? Do they go back to Pac-Five?

http://www.staradvertiser.com/sportspre ... =243639671

"Batoon admitted lying to the school headmaster, Sister Joan of Arc, about having knowledge of the ILH's looming decision regarding St. Francis' football team at the end of last week. The league voted on Monday to impose a two-year ban on the varsity program for lack of numbers -- minimum of 40 players -- and when Sister Joan of Arc inquired with her AD, she dismissed him."

shaka09
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Re: No More varsity FB at St. Francis?

Post by shaka09 »

good questions or is the whole program moves over to Pac5.

Also, does the ILH go back to the old way of scheduling.
Play everyone once and your own division twice.
Meaning the big 3 plays each other twice.

LocalCheesehead
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by LocalCheesehead »

shaka09 wrote:good questions or is the whole program moves over to Pac5.

Also, does the ILH go back to the old way of scheduling.
Play everyone once and your own division twice.
Meaning the big 3 plays each other twice.
Supposedly they're going back to the old way.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

I was always skeptical of St.Francis's ability to maintain even a D-II roster. They should investigate going to 8-man and compete that way if they want to continue fielding a football team.Good luck to them.

halaokolele
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by halaokolele »

where Batoon goes controversy often follows!

St.Francis will lose a bunch of enrollment due to recruiting so heavy for sports and now losing their program

MuaMuaLeAtua
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by MuaMuaLeAtua »

St.Francis had a Varsity Football Team?? lol :lol: [-X :bootyshake:

BigWave96744

Post by BigWave96744 »

Small enrollment schools starting up a football team is very risky and costly.
Note, Word of Life Academy, now St Francis. Anyone know the roster size for Anuenue?

wrestling808
High-quality H20 provider

Post by wrestling808 »

I do respect the independence aspect that Saint Francis is going for. With that being said, They don't have enough able bodied athletes to compete at the Varsity football level. The same goes for wrestling.

mycall

Post by mycall »

BigWave96744 wrote:Small enrollment schools starting up a football team is very risky and costly.
Note, Word of Life Academy, now St Francis. Anyone know the roster size for Anuenue?
Good point haha. I love the fact about Anuenue. The evilness inside of me secretly hopes that they'll fold their varsity program to convert it to 8-man. This way we can have an even number of schools in the OIA

fanoffb
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by fanoffb »

If you are going to be a senior or junior at St. Francis next year, does this mean you can play varsity with Pac-5? But if you are a current sophomore or junior at St. Francis that played on the varsity, is the only choice to play varsity with Pac-5, or can you play JV with St. Francis? Would the Pac-5 coaches even want any St. Francis sophomores to play with them next year, knowing that they will lose those kids in 2 years when they go back to play varsity at St. Francis?

charlee
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by charlee »

wrestling808 wrote:I do respect the independence aspect that Saint Francis is going for. With that being said, They don't have enough able bodied athletes to compete at the Varsity football level. The same goes for wrestling.
Their wrestling team did great this year:
- Intermediate Wrestlers took 2nd place as a team (Kamehameha took 1st) in the ILH Intermediate Championship
- JV boys team placed 4th (Iolani placed 5th), and just 2 to 4 points behind Punahou & PAC-5 respectively in the ILH JV & Varsity Championships

It's not always about the numbers, it's what you do with those who show up. Hopefully they will be able to compete at the Varsity level next year...

halaokolele
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by halaokolele »

[quote="charlee"][quote="wrestling808"]I do respect the independence aspect that Saint Francis is going for. With that being said, They don't have enough able bodied athletes to compete at the Varsity football level. The same goes for wrestling.[/quote]

- Intermediate Wrestlers took 2nd place as a team (Kamehameha took 1st) in the ILH Intermediate Championship
- JV boys team placed 4th (Iolani placed 5th), and just 2 to 4 points behind Punahou & PAC-5 respectively in the ILH JV & Varsity Championships

It's not always about the numbers, it's what you do with those who show up. Hopefully they will be able to compete at the Varsity level next year...[/quote]

Their intermediate team was basically the JV team beating up on intermediate kids.
can you play a football game with a quarter back and receiver only ? Go sit and pay for a St.Francis dual meet when they have 2 of 15 weights, thats a joke. They should not be allowed in the dual season if you cant field a decent team

charlee
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by charlee »

halaokolele wrote:
charlee wrote:
wrestling808 wrote:I do respect the independence aspect that Saint Francis is going for. With that being said, They don't have enough able bodied athletes to compete at the Varsity football level. The same goes for wrestling.

It's not always about the numbers, it's what you do with those who show up. Hopefully they will be able to compete at the Varsity level next year...
Their intermediate team was basically the JV team beating up on intermediate kids.
can you play a football game with a quarter back and receiver only ? Go sit and pay for a St.Francis dual meet when they have 2 of 15 weights, thats a joke. They should not be allowed in the dual season if you cant field a decent team
I believe the Intermediate team were 8th grade and younger. I know a couple of the kids and they are all in 8th or 7th grade. Some of them wrestled for the first time this year.

FASBOY'90
Starter
Starter

Post by FASBOY'90 »

As long as the balanced numbers remain at 3 for both ILH Divisions I & II, I don't see any changes in the near future for an ILH DII school moving up to take the place of one of the three power house schools at the DI level. Maybe if there was still a WOL or St. Francis still in place that would keep the DII division balanced and than, I think would make sense for a DII team that has dominated the ranks two consecutive years move up automatically. That's just my take on it.