Shift of power IF.........

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
AllTheRightMoves
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Re: Shift of power IF.........

Post by AllTheRightMoves »

Swag43 wrote:Cui? Goeas? Lol...show me on tape where these guys at vs Punahou...even Kobayashi was a no show...let's not forget Punahous Defense will be hitting on all cylinders with all their returnees....Tuliloa will be a double threat QB...the size of that kid he'll probably run over the whole undersized Saint Louis Defense...
Tuliloa will be a good QB and will have to use his legs often. He needs to develop better as a passer. I shake my head when watching Punahou run up the score with their 1st team (padding stats) when they could be developing/mixing in the backups for the future. Tuliloa could have definitely benefitted where those times were available last season. The QB coming up from JV may give Tuliloa some competition. This coming year and definitely next year will be a true test to Ane as an Offensive coordinator

fanoffb
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by fanoffb »

AllTheRightMoves wrote:
Swag43 wrote:Cui? Goeas? Lol...show me on tape where these guys at vs Punahou...even Kobayashi was a no show...let's not forget Punahous Defense will be hitting on all cylinders with all their returnees....Tuliloa will be a double threat QB...the size of that kid he'll probably run over the whole undersized Saint Louis Defense...
Tuliloa will be a good QB and will have to use his legs often. He needs to develop better as a passer. I shake my head when watching Punahou run up the score with their 1st team (padding stats) when they could be developing/mixing in the backups for the future. Tuliloa could have definitely benefitted where those times were available last season. The QB coming up from JV may give Tuliloa some competition. This coming year and definitely next year will be a true test to Ane as an Offensive coordinator
Just went back and looked at the stats on scoringlive.com. Tuileta actually had his highest passing numbers against Kamehameha and St. Louis. His numbers against the D2 teams were miniscule. Taulapapa had his best numbers against St. Louis. He did have 18 rushes against Iolani (and less than 10 against the other D2 teams), but the QBs only threw 13 times in the game (the back up actually had more attempts than Tuileta) so of course there are going to be a lot of rushing attempts. My point is that if you look at any of the D1 teams' scores against the D2 this year, it was almost all blowouts but that doesn't mean that the starters all put up huge numbers. I don't remember a year where there was such a discrepancy so I'm sure that lots of guys on the 3 D1 teams did get a lot of playing time. Once a blowout starts to occur, the challenge is that the D1's backups are a lot better than the D2 backups, so the score might start to really get out of hand. But there are only so many times you can just hand the ball off on a dive play. It's unfortunate that the backup QBs and WRs don't get to have the same types of opportunities during blowouts, because it might lead to an even greater disparity in the score.

AllTheRightMoves
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

fanoffb wrote:
AllTheRightMoves wrote:
Just went back and looked at the stats on scoringlive.com. Tuileta actually had his highest passing numbers against Kamehameha and St. Louis. His numbers against the D2 teams were miniscule. Taulapapa had his best numbers against St. Louis. He did have 18 rushes against Iolani (and less than 10 against the other D2 teams), but the QBs only threw 13 times in the game (the back up actually had more attempts than Tuileta) so of course there are going to be a lot of rushing attempts. My point is that if you look at any of the D1 teams' scores against the D2 this year, it was almost all blowouts but that doesn't mean that the starters all put up huge numbers. I don't remember a year where there was such a discrepancy so I'm sure that lots of guys on the 3 D1 teams did get a lot of playing time. Once a blowout starts to occur, the challenge is that the D1's backups are a lot better than the D2 backups, so the score might start to really get out of hand. But there are only so many times you can just hand the ball off on a dive play. It's unfortunate that the backup QBs and WRs don't get to have the same types of opportunities during blowouts, because it might lead to an even greater disparity in the score.
Why not mix in backups with the starters? Not only will this payoff in the future but it will also keep the players engaged.

Swag43
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by Swag43 »

Absolutely agree...they should've had Tuliloa with the starters when the games was well in hand...And when he did play they didn't really feature his arm...he either handed the ball off or ran it himself...What I do know is he's a strong runner that ain't scared to bang with LB's...the question is how timely and accurate he is and would he be able to make all the throws and mesh with his receivers...He has an elite weapon in K. Noa and he has to get on the same page with him...

Undftd
High-quality H20 provider

Post by Undftd »

fanoffb wrote:
AllTheRightMoves wrote:

Why not mix in backups with the starters? Not only will this payoff in the future but it will also keep the players engaged.
Because player chemistry, dont wanna mess that up.
Undefeated. 11-0
State Champions

AllTheRightMoves
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Why not mix in backups with the starters? Not only will this payoff in the future but it will also keep the players engaged.[/quote]

Because player chemistry, dont wanna mess that up.[/quote]

Ahhh, I understand. So keep the firsts only playing with the firsts and the seconds with the seconds. This almost sounds like the NFL with the exception even the NFL rotates running backs now. BTW, I asked in another thread, what position did your son play. Trying to figure out the ultimate 13 year starter quiz, Thanks.

KindergartenCop

Post by KindergartenCop »

Alltherightmoves. One of The all time great football movies.

I watched the up and coming Punahou QB during pre game warm ups, not impressed. Not accurate, no touch on the deep ball, needs a lot of work. Not sure if Noa will have a strong senior year. Not because he's not a top tear talent but I don't think the QB will be able to get him the ball constantly. Punahou may have to run the ball more this coming season. Looks good doing the triple option though.

AllTheRightMoves
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

KindergartenCop wrote:Alltherightmoves. One of The all time great football movies.

I watched the up and coming Punahou QB during pre game warm ups, not impressed. Not accurate, no touch on the deep ball, needs a lot of work. Not sure if Noa will have a strong senior year. Not because he's not a top tear talent but I don't think the QB will be able to get him the ball constantly. Punahou may have to run the ball more this coming season. Looks good doing the triple option though.
To be determined but I hope Tuliloa does well. Triple option..........not a bad idea. Move Noa into the backfield?

KindergartenCop

AllTheRightMoves wrote:
KindergartenCop wrote:Alltherightmoves. One of The all time great football movies.

To be determined but I hope Tuliloa does well. Triple option..........not a bad idea. Move Noa into the backfield?
They do have some decent RB after Talaupapa. Heisman got some playing time and Brittain who didn't see much action last season but when he did get in he did a great job. Moving Noa might be a stretch but never say never. Punahou needs the outside threat to keep the defense honest.

AllTheRightMoves
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

KindergartenCop wrote:
AllTheRightMoves wrote:

They do have some decent RB after Talaupapa. Heisman got some playing time and Brittain who didn't see much action last season but when he did get in he did a great job. Moving Noa might be a stretch but never say never. Punahou needs the outside threat to keep the defense honest.
Haven't heard much about either one of them. Agree that Noa should stay on the outside

newguy
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by newguy »

I kinda chuckled while I read this...Cui Goes Kobayashi were all no shows against Puahou? But Tuliloa didn't even play a single down vs St. Louis and only played the final series of the 2nd Kamehameha game were he handed the ball off once and ran it twice (if memory serves me correct.) and he is the starter for next season? Talk about unproven.

IMHO Punahou D will be #1 next year because of the returnees no doubt that side of the ball is loaded but their offense especially the passing game will not even be 10% as productive as it was with Tuileta. Lets be realistic here Tuileta was Punahou's offense. His ability to keep plays alive, his command of his offense, his ability to stay cool in the pocket and deliver to Noa, Talaupapa out of the backfield and the TE is why Punahou was so successful. Let me be clear Noa, Talaupapa, are great players I'm not taking anything away from them but without Tuileta at the helm the offense goes from Elite to Average pretty fast.

noasark2x2
Starter
Starter
MLB: Braves
NBA: Lakers
NFL: Ravens

Post by noasark2x2 »

Undftd wrote:1. Name one 'rich alumni' who would really impact the school in the amount of money they NEED. (Millions)
2. Which alumni kids would go to STL that arent already there? where are they all hiding?
To answer question number 1 Kreutz, the Raiola brothers, Chris Fuamatu Mafala, Gesser, Chang I am not alumni but all these guys are well off and from what I heard these guys as well as a bunch of the Business world alumni are getting together to help their school. This they are moving forward with their construction plans.
Let's Go Bows

DonkeyPunch22
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by DonkeyPunch22 »

With all due respect, I think Walter Dodds (if he's interested in supporting) has more than all the NFL alumni listed combined. That's not a slight on the great players you listed. I'm just saying, the sale of First Hawaiian Bank alone was enough to put Dodds well above, and that's just one of many moves he's done. In any case, I'm really happy for the St Louis family. Looks like things are moving in a positive direction.

KindergartenCop

Just heard from a reliable media source.....

THE SHIFT OF POWER is about to begin. Look out ILH, an old sherif is rolling back into town and the landscape will change. The announcement will be made in Mondays paper. I heard Cal will clean house from top to bottom.

budsdad
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by budsdad »

"They do have some decent RB after Talaupapa. Heisman got some playing time and Brittain who didn't see much action last season but when he did get in he did a great job. Moving Noa might be a stretch but never say never. Punahou needs the outside threat to keep the defense honest."

The Buff and Blue will struggle next year unless they can diversify their offense. Tuliloa will need to develop into a passer. Other than Noa, there really is no other proven receiver. Rushers are solid though. "Brittain" ?? 5 rushes for 37 yards last year, 4 of the rushes and 25 of the yards against St. Francis - hardly noteworthy. Talaupapa and Heisman will carry the load.