Could this Cali transfer rule come to Hawaii?

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Could this Cali transfer rule come to Hawaii?

Post by unpaid »

There was an interesting write-up in the Los Angeles Times recently about the new CIF sit-out times for athletes transferring to another school for sports.Players now sit-out for 1 month,not 1 yr as was the case previously.

The writer focused on one basketball contest as a preview of the future. One school has six transfers and the opponent school 's team featured nine transfers.Other concerns were the increasing number of foreign kids getting spots on teams. The biggest concerns to the writer seemed to be that no one in the LA community seemed to be outraged enough to tell the CIF to stop the experiment. In fact,according to the writer,parents are increasingly shopping their kids to schools.

With a one-month sit out time,some players can begin basketball at one school and end the year playing for a different school by playoff time.

The article did not make clear why the CIF went to a 1 month sit-out requirement.I can't think of good reason to go from one year to one month..but maybe someone has some inside info.I personally don't see this coming to Hawaii...but you never know.

mycall
High-quality H20 provider
High-quality H20 provider

Re: Could this Cali transfer rule come to Hawaii?

Post by mycall »

I'm guessing that in a bigger pond there are more "bad eggs" in some coaching positions. I figure transferring is common and accepted in the mainland as far as the debate here in the islands. More chances for a "bad community" a more chances of a way out. I think this generally happens with basketball though, where players transfer out to get playing time or play for a better school. Football is much harder on the player to transfer out midseason because there's still a depth chart you have to work through, not to mention learning a different playbook. Basketball at the high school level can pretty much plug-and-play and produce on talent. Just my assumption.

If a one month rule were to come to Hawaii, it really won't change a thing I think. Players and parents will still transfer their kid out if they want to, and sadly just for sports. Even if a kid were to transfer midseason, I'm not so sure the players who were on the team from the start would be willing to give up their spot like that. The one year sit out rule only applies for the ILH and not for the OIA (as far as I know) so the sit out times here on the islands are still flawed amongst the leagues.