2014 transfers

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
agent g
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

2014 transfers

Post by agent g »

Word on the street is that one of Waianae's defensive studs is gonna be playing for a well respected red west coach next year. Anyone can confirm? I heard a lot of kids from Waianae were on other rosters this year... Leilehua's LeeJay Lauti, Mililani's Sheldon Aki, Damien's Kenya Buckner, Kapolei's Vakameilalo...I kinda understand why the transfer, because of better exposure and coaching is better then playing for Matsumoto.

Swag43
Pine rider
Pine rider

Re: 2014 transfers

Post by Swag43 »

I think it's gonna be the Parents/kids choosing their schools...although the coaches will take the criticism for it, but they can't deny the kids if they're legit on the administrative side...

cmak808
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by cmak808 »

I heard that before the season ended...his father is very upset with the program....heard Mililani was trying to get him to go there but the mom said no..just what I heard.....

BowTow
High-quality H20 provider
High-quality H20 provider

Post by BowTow »

I believe that Waianae loses more kids to private schools and transfers to other public schools than any other community.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

BowTow wrote:I believe that Waianae loses more kids to private schools and transfers to other public schools than any other community.
Are you sure? Waianae is geographically far from most private schools; I would think that the town public-schools individually lose more. Remember also that the vast majority of public schools are RELATIVELY even academically because they all are under the same DOE, and they all draw teachers from the same DOE pool. Differences in test scores are due PRIMARILY to socio-economic characteristics of the STUDENTS.

agent g
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by agent g »

cmak808 wrote:I heard that before the season ended...his father is very upset with the program....heard Mililani was trying to get him to go there but the mom said no..just what I heard.....
Yeah I hear that a lot of people in the community wants change, and I hear that the AD is a big reason why. I don't blame the kids for wanting to transfer to another public school for better coaching and more exposure. With private schools if the kid has an opportunity to get a good education with the exposure I totally understand. Wonder how many more kids will be leaving Waianae for the same reason?

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

Is Waianae a sleeping giant, or are their glory years of the '70s, '80s, '90s something they'll never match again? It amazes me that the Waianae community would accept the mediocrity that's plagued them since the turn of the century.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

gopunahou wrote:Is Waianae a sleeping giant, or are their glory years of the '70s, '80s, '90s something they'll never match again? It amazes me that the Waianae community would accept the mediocrity that's plagued them since the turn of the century.
1. I would say Waianae's "glory years" were the '70s; During that decade, they played in the Prep Bowl 4 times, and the Prep Bowl didn't begin until '73. Of those Prep Bowl appearances, Waianae lost only once: To Kamehameha, in '75.

2. My take is that people in Waianae's district aren't the vocal type, and of course that's a very broad generalization. I think most of the people in Waianae's district are humble. I think that that makes them less likely to make a big stink about Waianae's coaching.

3. I wouldn't say Waianae's football teams have been "mediocre" since the turn of the century; I'd say they've been above-average or better. As recently as '10, Waianae gave St Louis a good rub in the D1 state championship game. And just last year, they almost beat eventual D1 state-champ Kahuku.

4. I think Waianae will be back; I think they're like the Kahuku of the Western Division: Having lots of football talent within its own geographic area (though not as much as Kahuku).

fanoffb
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by fanoffb »

I've heard some rumors (and that's all it is, rumors) that Fehoko might be transferring to Mililani, as well as some of the guys at St. Louis. I don't believe it until I see it but I've heard multiple people (none that can be considered expert opinions on the matter) say it so I was just wondering if anyone can confirm or dispel the rumors.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

fanoffb wrote:I've heard some rumors (and that's all it is, rumors) that Fehoko might be transferring to Mililani, as well as some of the guys at St. Louis. I don't believe it until I see it but I've heard multiple people (none that can be considered expert opinions on the matter) say it so I was just wondering if anyone can confirm or dispel the rumors.
Isn't it ridiculous that students would transfer from a private school to a public school? The only way I could see it is if they LIVE in the public school's district. For example, if those St Louis players you're talking about, LIVE in Mililani's district, THEN I could see it: They have a shorter distance to cover each day to get to and from school. It would be ESPECIALLY convenient for them if they're within WALKING distance of Mililani High.

Really, I don't think St Louis will be that bad next year: They had a good JV this year, and on the vars, Kuhns and Kobayashi will be back. Again, unless those players you're talking about, LIVE in Mililani's district, I think they should STAY at St Louis. I mean, Mililani would probably be able to beat St Louis next year, but I think it would be fairly close. It's not like St Louis will suck.

Same goes for Fehoko; he's a junior, I presume? He shouldn't pull-up his roots in Kalihi just to transplant to Mililani for one year. OK, Mililani could probably beat Farrington next year, but it's not like Farrington will suck. If I were him, I'd stay at Farrington.

eonatoa
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by eonatoa »

gopunahou wrote:Is Waianae a sleeping giant, or are their glory years of the '70s, '80s, '90s something they'll never match again? It amazes me that the Waianae community would accept the mediocrity that's plagued them since the turn of the century.
I dont think theyve accepted it, there are a lot of people trying to get Matsumoto out, but I think the reality is that the Waianae community has bigger fish to fry than just the football coach. There are a lot of other non-football issues going on out there.

mad dog
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by mad dog »

fanoffb wrote:I've heard some rumors (and that's all it is, rumors) that Fehoko might be transferring to Mililani, as well as some of the guys at St. Louis. I don't believe it until I see it but I've heard multiple people (none that can be considered expert opinions on the matter) say it so I was just wondering if anyone can confirm or dispel the rumors.

V. Malepeai was a good student at St. Louis. St. Louis' recent financial woes have been well documented. When a deserving student (who happens to be a great football player) loses financial aid due to the school being on "life support", transfers (even to great public schools like Mililani) can be expected.

While not a fan of SL football, I hope for their speedy financial recovery/survival. It would be a terrible loss for Hawaii's football Ohana to lose this tradition-rich and valuable member school.

Cheers to the Crusaders! Malama Pono.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

mad dog wrote:

V. Malepeai was a good student at St. Louis. St. Louis' recent financial woes have been well documented. When a deserving student (who happens to be a great football player) loses financial aid due to the school being on "life support", transfers (even to great public schools like Mililani) can be expected.

While not a fan of SL football, I hope for their speedy financial recovery/survival. It would be a terrible loss for Hawaii's football Ohana to lose this tradition-rich and valuable member school.

Cheers to the Crusaders! Malama Pono.
Oh, I don't think St Louis School will shut-down; the alumni won't allow it. Actually, it would help financially if St Louis started accepting girls, but the alumni won't allow it, and I think they SHOULDN'T allow it. To St Louis alumni, it's all about the "St Louis brotherhood." This is a very unique thing, now that Damien Memorial School has accepted girls. I think there's a place for an all-boys' Catholic school; St Louis should stay the course. I'm not a St Louis alumnus myself, but I RESPECT an all-boys' school like that; there seems to be something virtuous and upstanding about it somehow. On top of that, St Louis admonishes its students to strive for the ideal of the "St Louis Man," once they become alumni.

harus0ra
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by harus0ra »

It's pretty sad to know that's what mililani does just to win a championship but hey why not if you can get them

BigWave96744

Post by BigWave96744 »

I see this thread becoming very active now that Cal and Ron are back.