Saint Louis Seeking New Head Coach

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
cmak808
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Re: Saint Louis Seeking New Head Coach

Post by cmak808 »

I thought this was the year st.Louis was going to win it again.....I thought they had the most "talent" this year but couldn't put it all together.....don't know Matt personally but I heard good stuff n bad stuff about him.....so I won't judge him.....but I feel the only way to fix this is to completely clean house asst. coaches and all........and start fresh...if not the Lee brothers and even if I'm not a fan of his...rich miano would be a perfect coach fr

eonatoa
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by eonatoa »

The Lee's? Miano? That would be very interesting!

BigWave96744

Post by BigWave96744 »

eonatoa wrote:The Lee's? Miano? That would be very interesting!
Miano to St Louis would be interesting. Would some of his Kaiser studs follow, leaving the Cougars vulnerable in the OIA Red???

twnoexcuses
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by twnoexcuses »

saynotomercs wrote:
twnoexcuses wrote:St. Louis has to build up its academic rep and not its football rep. Punahou, Iolani and Kamehameha bring education benefits to the table first and foremost. Kamehameha also price and culture. That is why people want their kids at those schools. St. Louis looks like it only has football and nothing else.
So it's not okay to come in fourth behind two of the best academic schools on the West Coast and one of the richest schools on the planet? I agree that SLS needs to graduate less donkeys, but it isn't as bad as its reputation.
No matter how bad or good the academics actually are, the school has to improve the academic reputation. That is what sustains a private school. If the academics aren't a priority for a player, then it's cheaper in the long run to move to Mililani or Kahuku or have some foresight and GE into a district that has a coach with a good reputation for getting kids scholarships.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

Undftd wrote:
warriorfb wrote:Smart move would be to steal Punahou DC Agenhart Ellis. He's familiar with both Punahou and Kamehameha.
Haha you think agenhart is leaving punahou with the group he has now, he is living the DC dream right now.
That's the group he has NOW. It probably won't be long before St Louis once again has a more dominant defense. St Louis' defensive front-seven dominated the entire decade of the '90s; defense was St Louis' trademark.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Swag43 wrote:
huki-lau-lau wrote:Wish the best to Mr. Wright in his future endeavors, losing employment is never good especially involuntarily.
I really hope this was not strickly about wins and losses. If so then I dont feel so bad about kahuku football and all the bickering I do on here because of a losing season, apparently St. Loius fires thier coaches left and right. wow! That would never happen in a public school.

I guess in the ILH it really is a business.

- St. Louis firing under performing coaches
- Punahou popping out scholarships up the ying yang to fund their athletes
- Iolani staying in D2 to maintain the perception of being winners

can't forget the down season for Kahuku and people on here nervous if they'll ever return back to prominence...I wouldn't be surprise some St Louis kids transfer over to Mililani...I can already see York licking his chops lol...
If I were those kids, I would STAY at St Louis. I think St Louis has more potential.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

huki-lau-lau wrote:pure speculation. wonder if this played a role

malepeai transfered from st.louis to mililani. was his family at odds with stlouis program and or coaching staff? now the alumni see the talent that was once theirs.
several other stlouis players have left over the years too.

interesting to see if the new coach will restore the crusader pride and talent. or due to many factors including tough economic times for many familys, stlouis will never be the same.
I think St Louis will someday return to its '90s form. When it comes to football, St Louis alumni are like Texas alumni: They're WILD about football. I think the alumni will have some amount of input about who the next HC will be.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Squid Diver wrote:
huki-lau-lau wrote:Wish the best to Mr. Wright in his future endeavors, losing employment is never good especially involuntarily.
I really hope this was not strickly about wins and losses. If so then I dont feel so bad about kahuku football and all the bickering I do on here because of a losing season, apparently St. Loius fires thier coaches left and right. wow! That would never happen in a public school.

LOL. Punahou wins two state titles in 100+ years and people still whine. First and foremost, kids need to pass the entrance exam to get into Punahou (which isnt an easy thing to do), then they get in. KSBE entire enrollment is practically funded entirely by the school (wonderful thing). No one ever mentions that aspect. Recruit recruit recruit. Broken record already.

St. Louis alumni has pretty high expectations, always has. They were tired of Cal Lee in the end. It isn't easy to win at all on any level. As a strong supporter of St. Louis, I was pretty disappointed in their last game against Kamehameha. Personal fouls cost them the game. Kids were making multiple personal fouls on one play. Had to be near or over 400 yards in personal fouls. Seemed like to me that the kids were running wildly undisciplined and coaches had no control. I think that may have had a play into the decision making.

I agree that he needed more help and time. I don't think they schemed very well on both sides of the ball. The DC did not scheme at all, again, needed more experience and/or help. Whatever was the reason, they had one. St. Louis had so much talent these last two years. He hasn't beaten Punahou or KSBE while at the helm.

There were good reasons why Arceneaux was let go, twice. It will be hard pressed for him to get re-hired again. He has loads to prove to the alumni to get back on their good side.

The Lee's are the only choice in my book. 14 titles in 16 years? Or was it 15? No brainer. I'd would take Joe Lane before Kreutz or Gessler. To me, Lane was the best QB. Not the better passer or athletically. He could read defense's better than anyone of his predecessor's, by far.
No doubt Lane was a good player, but would he be a good COACH? The former doesn't always guarantee the latter.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Tommy wrote:Let's be real, Matt Wright did an awesome job with the kids and the program. Granted, they didn't win a state championship . . . . St. Louis only wants Cal Lee. period! Nobody will ever be good for their program, but Cal, so stop all this Beatty, DJ, whoever, unless they are Cal, NOBODY will ever be good for them. You think Cal and possibly Ron wouldn't leave Kalani?
It still has to be clarified precisely WHY Cal Lee left St Louis; was it ONLY because UH offered him an assistant position? At St Louis, he engineered the longest high-school football dynasty the state has ever seen. How long has he been gone from St Louis? Over 10 years? WOULD he return? CAN he return? And, let's not forget that Lee is not a St Louis alumnus; he's a Kalani alumnus, and that's where he's coaching NOW.

Swag43
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by Swag43 »

HS Football Fanatic wrote:
Swag43 wrote:

can't forget the down season for Kahuku and people on here nervous if they'll ever return back to prominence...I wouldn't be surprise some St Louis kids transfer over to Mililani...I can already see York licking his chops lol...
If I were those kids, I would STAY at St Louis. I think St Louis has more potential.
Stay at Saint Louis to have a short season? Seniors do you want to go to a team that'll have a lot of tv exposure and most likely a cake walk to the states again or stay with a team that has to deal with Punahou...

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

twnoexcuses wrote:St. Louis is missing one key ingredient for regaining football greatness that ll other schools in the State have: Girls.
But St Louis had the longest high-school football dynasty the state has ever seen: 13 straight years, I believe. '86 to '98 or '99. And it was done WITHOUT the school having girls. Besides, there are lots of girls one block up the street at Sacred Hearts.
Last edited by HS Football Fanatic on Fri Dec 13, 2013 5:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

giversgain wrote:
fanoffb wrote:
Swag43 wrote:Kale Ane even mentioned his family has their own scholarship fundings for certain kids...
Didn't the article mention that the scholarship is named in honor of his parents, reflecting the background of his dad? I can't remember if the article mentioned how much it was for?
Yeah, I read it somewhere. If I'm not mistaken, it has to do with a Charle Ane Endowment (helping football talented polynesian kids financially). Again I may interpreting differently, but he said that it was geared specifically for football. I can see it already.....donors are lining up to help talented polynesian kids get into Punahou via the endowment. Is that the reason why there are more Polynesians playing football at Punahou than ever before? hhhhmmmm
I doubt it; it's probably pure recruiting. How long has that scholarship been offered?

Swag43
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by Swag43 »

HS Football Fanatic wrote:
huki-lau-lau wrote:pure speculation. wonder if this played a role

malepeai transfered from st.louis to mililani. was his family at odds with stlouis program and or coaching staff? now the alumni see the talent that was once theirs.
several other stlouis players have left over the years too.

interesting to see if the new coach will restore the crusader pride and talent. or due to many factors including tough economic times for many familys, stlouis will never be the same.
I think St Louis will someday return to its '90s form. When it comes to football, St Louis alumni are like Texas alumni: They're WILD about football. I think the alumni will have some amount of input about who the next HC will be.
Agree on Saint Louis Alum...Football is serious business over there

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

saynotomercs wrote:
twnoexcuses wrote:St. Louis has to build up its academic rep and not its football rep. Punahou, Iolani and Kamehameha bring education benefits to the table first and foremost. Kamehameha also price and culture. That is why people want their kids at those schools. St. Louis looks like it only has football and nothing else.
So it's not okay to come in fourth behind two of the best academic schools on the West Coast and one of the richest schools on the planet? I agree that SLS needs to graduate less donkeys, but it isn't as bad as its reputation.
Agree. St Louis has a lot of alumni who are illustrious professionals. especially in the medical/dental fields.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

cmak808 wrote:I thought this was the year st.Louis was going to win it again.....I thought they had the most "talent" this year but couldn't put it all together.....don't know Matt personally but I heard good stuff n bad stuff about him.....so I won't judge him.....but I feel the only way to fix this is to completely clean house asst. coaches and all........and start fresh...if not the Lee brothers and even if I'm not a fan of his...rich miano would be a perfect coach fr
I don't know about "completely cleaning house." I think St Louis HAS to keep Passas; he's a QB guru.