Top 10 for next year

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
saynotomercs
Play Maker
Play Maker

Re: Top 10 for next year

Post by saynotomercs »

I don't think Saint Louis is going to be short-handed on defense. It might not be top-3 next year, but there is some real talent on that side of the ball.

Up front, Saint Louis will be young but not without talent. Matthew Mariota will be a returning starter at one DE spot and the other should be occupied by future FBS prospect Haskell Garrett. Paula Fakatoka and a rising JV talent should start at DT. TE Spencer Johnson may convert to DE or LB

At LB, Tane Tuifua is a solid player who suffered an early season injury and became a rotational player. He should be the MLB. My hunch is that former TE Wallen Teo will play OLB next season, after struggling at safety, a position that Saint Louis should be deep in talent next season. Linebacker, not DL, in my opinion, will be the shakiest unit on defense next year.

Defensive back loses a lot of talent off of one of last year's best units statewide, but there is still a surprising amount of varsity experience here. Siaki Alualu should be one of the best safeties in the state next year and both Ronson Timbreza and Keone Peneku saw tons of reps at corner. Jedidiah Lulu is a good athlete that may crack the starting lineup at either corner or safety. Toa Augafa also shows promise at safety. Another major hunch of mine is that Saint Louis' dual-threat QB back-up Jimmy Nunuha will convert to CB with JV phenom Toa Tagovailoa probably assuming the role as QB understudy. If he does, don't be surprised if Nunuha starts. He's a very good athlete.

KindergartenCop
High-quality H20 provider

Post by KindergartenCop »

saynotomercs wrote:I don't think Saint Louis is going to be short-handed on defense. It might not be top-3 next year, but there is some real talent on that side of the ball.

Up front, Saint Louis will be young but not without talent. Matthew Mariota will be a returning starter at one DE spot and the other should be occupied by future FBS prospect Haskell Garrett. Paula Fakatoka and a rising JV talent should start at DT. TE Spencer Johnson may convert to DE or LB

At LB, Tane Tuifua is a solid player who suffered an early season injury and became a rotational player. He should be the MLB. My hunch is that former TE Wallen Teo will play OLB next season, after struggling at safety, a position that Saint Louis should be deep in talent next season. Linebacker, not DL, in my opinion, will be the shakiest unit on defense next year.

Defensive back loses a lot of talent off of one of last year's best units statewide, but there is still a surprising amount of varsity experience here. Siaki Alualu should be one of the best safeties in the state next year and both Ronson Timbreza and Keone Peneku saw tons of reps at corner. Jedidiah Lulu is a good athlete that may crack the starting lineup at either corner or safety. Toa Augafa also shows promise at safety. Another major hunch of mine is that Saint Louis' dual-threat QB back-up Jimmy Nunuha will convert to CB with JV phenom Toa Tagovailoa probably assuming the role as QB understudy. If he does, don't be surprised if Nunuha starts. He's a very good athlete.
WOW..

Never thought Jimmy as a CB. I would have pegged him at WR instead. Haskell is a stud, watched him play basketball and he has great agility. Teo has the size to play up at LB nice call on that. I saw Alualu recently and he must have put on at least 10lb. Mariota will beast out next season. Cash Searle is another stud in the making, he put on 10lb and could convert to the defensive backfield. I guess there are players that Cal could use on defense. He always try to put his best players on defense. Should be a goog fight between Cal and Ron on who They want on their side of the ball..

LocalCheesehead
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by LocalCheesehead »

KindergartenCop wrote:
saynotomercs wrote:I don't think Saint Louis is going to be short-handed on defense. It might not be top-3 next year, but there is some real talent on that side of the ball.

WOW..

Never thought Jimmy as a CB. I would have pegged him at WR instead. Haskell is a stud, watched him play basketball and he has great agility. Teo has the size to play up at LB nice call on that. I saw Alualu recently and he must have put on at least 10lb. Mariota will beast out next season. Cash Searle is another stud in the making, he put on 10lb and could convert to the defensive backfield. I guess there are players that Cal could use on defense. He always try to put his best players on defense. Should be a goog fight between Cal and Ron on who They want on their side of the ball..
My sleeper pick for the Saints this year will be running back Raymond Caayon. Very shifty back. Good speed and good vision as well.

saynotomercs
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by saynotomercs »

KindergartenCop wrote:

WOW..

I think the WRs are gonna be Kobayashi and Searle on the outside and Cui and Sallas on the inside. That's a potent four. I though Searle should have been ahead of Eugenio last year.

newguy
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by newguy »

My sleeper pick for the Saints this year will be running back Raymond Caayon. Very shifty back. Good speed and good vision as well.[/quote]

I hope you are right, I think the biggest question mark on the offense is the depth or lack thereof at the RB position. Noga graduating leaves a big hole at the RB spot. Ray runs hard and I hope he has a break out season.. BTW anyone know where Noga signed to play next year. I haven't read anything about him I thought he was going to Wash St.?

KindergartenCop

Post by KindergartenCop »

I think the WRs are gonna be Kobayashi and Searle on the outside and Cui and Sallas on the inside. That's a potent four. I though Searle should have been ahead of Eugenio last year.

Great core of receivers. Don't forget Javan Spear. He was not used much but is a stout receiver. I do agree on Ray, he will have a break out season. I see this offensive unit having a record breaking season with Ron at the helm. Form what I hear he plans to throw first, throw second and run if the QB's arm is broken. Lost in the mix is Colten Nascimento he could be used on the defensive side of the ball. Not sure if he will get much playing time at QB with Tua moving up to QB2

mycall

Post by mycall »

BigWave96744 wrote:Does Cal and Ron's return change any of your ranking for 2014?
Not really. I still think Saint Louis is lacking in other areas. I'm not a firm believer in the receiving corps of Kobayashi, Cui III and Sallas. They looked good against Kahuku at the start of the season, but was no where to be found in the big ILH games. They also lost a lot of their pass coverage guys. Not to mention they struggled to contain the run game. Not to be a downer but I don't see big success in Cal Lee's first year back. We'll see though. In the current last year format with one game each against everyone in the ILH and the stupid "postseason", it would be tough for Crusader nation to get a footing. But if Saint Francis has no program next year and the ILH goes back to two meetings within your division, then I'd say Saint Louis will have a chance to make some noise.

TheDuke
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by TheDuke »

my sleeper. You could see Ulu-Perry on D. Cal wants him on D.

dirtylickens

Post by dirtylickens »

Cal Lee returning to St. Louis does shake up my top ten for next year just a bit.

1. Punahou:
Defending state champs, returning alot of their defense, but the offense will need a game manager at QB like Tuileta. It will be tough to replace him but Noa, and Talaupapa will both be there to bolster an Offense looking to repeat.

2. Mililani:
Vavae Malepeai, and that QB will be returning and Rod will use them in different ways. They also have Rex Manu and another stout Defense out there. I know they loss some LB's and Padello at the DE, so it will interesting to see who comes in.

3. St. Louis:
Cal Lee is the legendary coach St. Louis needed. He will turn the program around, and probably bring in some solid assistants to coach up the guys. Ulu-Perry is a monster, and Kuhns is a solid QB who i believe is returning next year.

4. Kahuku:
Lee Leslie, i wish you all the luck. Kahuku is probably the hardest community to please when it comes to high school football. Every year it seems like its State Championship or bust. And by taking over for Reggie Torres, the community is up in arms. But lets not forget, they were the same way a few years back when Reggie first took over the team. Holding parent meetings and trying to get a new coach back in town. It will be interesting, but he does have talent at his disposal.

5 Kamehameha:
Probably my pick as a possible dark horse for the State Title. They did lose a lot of playmakers and a solid center who was probably my favorite OL to watch in the state this past season. But with Sua-Godinet returning, and Mika Tafua (my number one defensive lineman in '14) i think Crosbie will make it a three team race between the Buff n Blue, Crusaders, and another solid Kamehameha team.

from here on out, i think its all a toss up. I think the top 5 teams are pretty solid. It wont be the top 5 at the end of the season because of the ILH only having one birth. But I think these will be the best 5 teams to start the season.

DA SCOUT

Post by DA SCOUT »

I think with Call at the helm running the Defense, they will have a bend but not break Defense that will keep them in games and the offense will outscore everyone, no one in the state will have a offense to go score for score with them. don't believe Punahou will have the fire power this year with out tui but return a awesome front seven on Defense with chung leading the way and Ksk will still be one dimentional,kaulana apelu will force teams to load the box and is a home run threat every time he touches the ball, But they will still be the top three teams in the state that no OIA school can compete with

fanoffb
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by fanoffb »

DA SCOUT wrote:I think with Call at the helm running the Defense, they will have a bend but not break Defense that will keep them in games and the offense will outscore everyone, no one in the state will have a offense to go score for score with them. don't believe Punahou will have the fire power this year with out tui but return a awesome front seven on Defense with chung leading the way and Ksk will still be one dimentional,kaulana apelu will force teams to load the box and is a home run threat every time he touches the ball, But they will still be the top three teams in the state that no OIA school can compete with
Any news on what assistants Cal is keeping and who he is bringing in? I assume Passas will remain but others?

MuaMuaLeAtua
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by MuaMuaLeAtua »

Haskell Garrett transferred to Bishop Gorman 2 weeks ago

Getreal$
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by Getreal$ »

Any new predictions, BIIF,KIF, MIL, OIA, ILH? I think we've beat that dead horse on transfers and should move on.

2014 spring training right around the corner and I'm sure there's lots of talk on next years teams.

kapakahi
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
Location: formerly SoCal (Long Beach, South Bay & the OC); relocated back to Honolulu

Post by kapakahi »

dirtylickens wrote:5 Kamehameha:
Probably my pick as a possible dark horse for the State Title. They did lose a lot of playmakers and a solid center who was probably my favorite OL to watch in the state this past season. But with Sua-Godinet returning, and Mika Tafua (my number one defensive lineman in '14) i think Cosbie will make it a three team race between the Buff n Blue, Crusaders, and another solid Kamehameha team.
Anyone know how RB Kaulana Apelu is coming along from his rehab (due to season-ending injury at the beginning of last season) for the coming season?

BigWave96744

Post by BigWave96744 »

With Ikei and Miano out, does this change anyone's top 10 for 2014?