High School Sports Forums might be shut down soon 9/24/13

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
BigWave96744

Re: Admin Note (UPDATED)

Post by BigWave96744 »

Ok folk, again NO PERSONAL ATTACKS...
Threads will be removed as we mods don't have time to keep editing threads that personally attacks an athlete.

Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin
MLB: Atlanta Braves
NBA: Atlanta Hawks
NFL: San Diego Chargers

High School Sports Forums might be shut down soon

Post by Scott »

We are currently discussing this topic of shutting down the HS forum, which is not a new one. As mentioned in previous threads, "the high school forums generate only 3% of our traffic but cause 90% of our issues for our mods. This is not a smack talking board. We are all a family here and we are not trying to be forum dictators. We do not need people angry at us for banning them or upset because they were sent a warning. We are just trying to keep the forum simple, fun and friendly.

We get awesome discussions here which is why we have put up with the problems all of these years. However now on our soon to be 10th year anniversary for Sports Hawaii, we are seriously debating if it is worth our time. We all have to remember that we are talking about student athletes and real people and families. So be civil, be constructive, make sure that you say something positive when you have something constructive to say. This is not a smack talking forum for your entertainment. This is the Sports Hawaii High School Forum.

We will update you on our decision. Thank you.
"Do, or do not. There is no 'try'."
- Yoda ('The Empire Strikes Back')

Mahalo,
Scott
http://www.sportshawaii.com
"Hawaii's Fan Based Sports Page"

gridiron22
Pine rider
Pine rider
NBA: LakersChargers
NFL: chargers

Re: High School Sports Forums might be shut down soon

Post by gridiron22 »

I must say that there are times when I feel embarrassed for innocent High School athletes that get outed here on this forum without them even knowing.

Over the years I have noticed that most parents and members in this forum dont care to be childish in their words and behavior.
I support any decision to shut down the high school forum especially since newer internet laws are being considered to hold website owners responsible for unlawful behavior of its website members.

Simply not worth it for the mods.

mad dog
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by mad dog »

Scott,

Amen!

I am a recent convert and greatly enjoy reviewing the high school posts, many of which are informative. Your posters all seem to share a passion for the gridiron.

In the past couple of months there have been very few inappropriate posts (which are more reflective of the individual poster's poor judgment and emotional instability; than of their intended "targets"). On balance, I would urge you to keep the site up and active.

If your concern is legal in nature, please refer to Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act of 1996 (47USC 230: check it out on Wikipedia). Section 230(c)(1) provides immunity from liability for providers and users of "interactive computer service(s)" who publish information provided by others.

"No provider or user of an interactive computer service shall be treated as the publisher or speaker of any information provided by another information content provider."

Thus, if a poster defames a school, a coach, or a student athlete: that poster alone is subject to a civil lawsuit for the defamatory statement. You as publisher of the site are immune from liability (i.e. for failing to police the site or to delete the poster's defamatory rants).

The message for all concerned is that if you post trash about another person, step up and face the consequences yourself: It is not Sports Hawaii's Kuleana!

Malama Pono!

gridiron22
Pine rider
Pine rider
NBA: LakersChargers
NFL: chargers

Post by gridiron22 »

good info mad dog ^^^

But I think what Scott is saying is that they dont have time for nonsense on their forum boards period.

It doesnt matter if the website is not responsible the mods still have to be subject to complaints from its users about threads or members misbehaving.
I dont think they get paid running this website so anything that makes life easier like cutting off one of its cancerous parts is a no brainer.

scoringlive should put up a forum for HS football, im sure it would grow really quick and keep those mods busy.

bandits1
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by bandits1 »

It would be a shame to lose this forum just because one or two members refuse to take their meds(I suspect it's just one dude with 17 screen names; posting styles are awful similar).

fanoffb
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by fanoffb »

Unfortunate but with all of the problems that this has created, no matter how many are responsible, what's most important? I think the answer to that question is the student-athletes, who aren't professional athletes. They go to school, have chores, and have teenage issues. Their coaches are not well paid, if paid at all. They spend the time that they do because they love the games they coach. Thanks to the moderators for paying attention and doing what is in the best interest of the student-athletes.

eonatoa
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by eonatoa »

It would hurt to see the High School Forum shut down. But Scott is right, not worth all the work for such a small part of the forum. If posters cannot exercise professionalism, then maybe the forum should be discontinued.

Hoopwaiian
High-quality H20 provider
MLB: s.f. giants
NBA: ALL
NFL: s.f. 49ers

Re: High School Sports Forums might be shut down soon 9/24/1

Post by Hoopwaiian »

Give negative guys a Tech and send them to the bench. Works for me.No room for negativity. Keep it home.

Neighbor
All-conference
All-conference

Post by Neighbor »

Late but happy one year anniversary of this!

Hoopwaiian
MLB: s.f. giants
NBA: ALL
NFL: s.f. 49ers

Post by Hoopwaiian »

Hand out any T's lately? High schools sports is a great forum with year round sports to talk about. No need talk negative about anything. If you do, go to brada's house. You get direct and personal answer. Lol! Hoop season's on, and we gots some teams that are going to make noise at States this year!