Iolani stop playing D2 and recruiting

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
Sportsfanatic
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Re: Iolani stop playing D2 and recruiting

Post by Sportsfanatic »

Think about this, Iolani plays D1 in every sport, except football. No make sense to me. How can you be D1 in all sports, except one? And yes, some of their D1 teams struggle and some have decent success. Once in awhile they win a championship. Football needs to move up to be fair to the true D2 schools.

IslandRainbow808
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by IslandRainbow808 »

When Iolani grows a pair they will move up. Not anytime soon though.

Kama
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by Kama »

Iolani does not have the size or athleticism to compete with the ILH D1 elite. This is absolutely evident against Punahou.
Punahou could have made 100 - 0 if coach Ane wanted to. Iolani no question is a D2 football team and they know it.

kapakahi
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
Location: formerly SoCal (Long Beach, South Bay & the OC); relocated back to Honolulu

Post by kapakahi »

Kama wrote:Iolani does not have the size or athleticism to compete with the ILH D1 elite. This is absolutely evident against Punahou.
Punahou could have made 100 - 0 if coach Ane wanted to. Iolani no question is a D2 football team and they know it.
Was also absolutely evident when the Crusaders "scrimmaged" against Iolani at Aloha Stadium.

soleu
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by soleu »

Kama wrote:Iolani does not have the size or athleticism to compete with the ILH D1 elite. This is absolutely evident against Punahou.
Of course you don't. Top prospects don't see the football future with a D2 program. Jump to D1 and that'll change. Iolani will become another window of opportunity.

Cut the sorry excuses already and quit picking on the REAL D2 teams.

helflyer
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by helflyer »

It seems to me that the pressure for Iolani to play D1 is a push to legitimize the ILH D1 system. The ILH has three D1 teams compared to the OIA's 7 teams. Having Iolani would bump them up to 4 teams making the ILH D1 heavy. It still doesn't fix anything. Only way to ensure that more ILH top teams have an opportunity to reach the State tournament is to restructure the OIA and ILH and allow them to play regular season games and are seeded as such....But then you all knew that already and this is probably old news.

yobabyyo
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by yobabyyo »

Ok..just saying: Iolani plays D2 football because their guys are small, smart - but small. I have great respect for Iolani School and the contributions that its graduates have made for Hawaii. (Combine ILH and OIA would mean change to the old boys network.) As a side note: I am tired of hearing Kamehameha and recruitment on the same line. Doesn't happen and can't happen with the admission policies. There are a number of top league players who tried to get into Kam but just couldn't make the admission standards. What their coaches see is what they get. Hats off to them! Also, hats off to Punahou for putting together this great football team...lots of years of waiting and scouting and recruiting and investing into the families of the polynesian families. Top OIA teams are 'convincing' top players to play for them. Except for Kahuku...it's in their blood. Yep, just saying.

FatherofCody&Casey
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by FatherofCody&Casey »

Did Iolani give up before opening kickoff? I no there was some injuries but why didn't Iolani do the kind of things that woulda given them a chance? Like throwing deep balls? Seem like Iolani chalked this as a loss and started thinking state tournament.

FatherofCody&Casey
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by FatherofCody&Casey »

As evidenced by Friday's atrocity, this is still going on and nobody is doing anything about it. You can bet there are Iolani FB players who believed their recruiters when they egotistically made the offer to go to Iolani seem appealing. Iolani recruiters also egotistically shame aspiring athletes who turn them down.

twnoexcuses
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by twnoexcuses »

Who exactly do you claim are the "recruits"?
FatherofCody&Casey wrote:As evidenced by Friday's atrocity, this is still going on and nobody is doing anything about it. You can bet there are Iolani FB players who believed their recruiters when they egotistically made the offer to go to Iolani seem appealing. Iolani recruiters also egotistically shame aspiring athletes who turn them down.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

FatherofCody&Casey wrote:As evidenced by Friday's atrocity, this is still going on and nobody is doing anything about it. You can bet there are Iolani FB players who believed their recruiters when they egotistically made the offer to go to Iolani seem appealing. Iolani recruiters also egotistically shame aspiring athletes who turn them down.
Yeah. Well, I mean, I don't particularly care for Iolani, so I was kind of depressed when they beat Lahainaluna. Obviously, I wanted Lahainaluna to win. Just the same, it's only a D2 title, and that's my point: What I would tell Iolani is, "OK, you won this football championship. Trouble is, it's only D2, so it plays second-fiddle to the D1 championship." Since I don't particularly care for Iolani, I eventually was able to brush-off and dismiss their championship by reminding myself that it's only a D2 championship, which made me feel better.

FishstickBoy
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by FishstickBoy »

twnoexcuses wrote:Who exactly do you claim are the "recruits"?
Who DIDN'T they recruit? :x :x :x

DaDeaderHorse
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by DaDeaderHorse »

First of all, Iolani should go to D1. I would like to see how they do next year with the c/o 2016. However, I think the head coach probably knows that Iolani cannot be continually competitive at that level looking at their roster after 2016. This is probably why he doesn't want to move up. Iolani does not currently recruit nor have they been recruiting for the last five years for the sport of football. Anybody that says otherwise has not watched a game or talked to parents there. Not an alumni, don't want to be an alumni, don't care for the head coach for that matter. I think he's cocky, arrogant and unprofessional at times. But Iolani does NOT recruit. They've tried but most leave for Punahou, Kam, or STL bc of more affordable tuition. There's also no bridge program nor is there any "mystery" football recruiter. Unlike Punahou, Iolani still plays their big donors' and alumni's kids over the better player. This is common practice. Spoke with Several of the parents of Iolani's star and starting football athletes. They all pay tuition at the least with financial aid and the $2k athlete scholarship they still pay $10k which still equivalent to St. Louis' annual tuition. Iolani has been dominating because they have a 30 year old program that continues to progress.