2014 Wrestling Speculation and Nonsense

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
wrestling808
High-quality H20 provider

Re: 2014 Wrestling Speculation and Nonsense

Post by wrestling808 »

Fortunately for Remmilard he went to Punahou. He received a first class education that enabled him to attend a ivy league school. Which in turn enabled him to make the roster of a weak team. Had he tried to make the roster of a strong D1 team like Oklahoma, Iowa, Penn or Oregon he wouldn"t make it.

OTHwrestle
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by OTHwrestle »

If you represent the 808, you applaud any kid who aspires to wrestle in college. And it was in the paper that Remillard went 5-2 at a tournament wrestling for Brown, a DI team. You gonna claim he's only wrestling for a week team when he places in a DI tourney?

eastside
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by eastside »

I think wrestling at the next level whether it's Jr. College, NAIA, D1, 2 or 3 is great, period...... We don't need to point out that a specific kid could only wrestle for this college and not for a better program. Does it really matter? This thread so far has been pretty good, but looks like we're going to get off track again with haters trying to put kids down again.

halaokolele
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by halaokolele »

[quote="wrestling808"]Fortunately for Remmilard he went to Punahou. He received a first class education that enabled him to attend a ivy league school. Which in turn enabled him to make the roster of a weak team. Had he tried to make the roster of a strong D1 team like Oklahoma, Iowa, Penn or Oregon he wouldn"t make it.[/quote]

give credit where credit is due, both Remilard and Hernandez belong on that list!

Haters need to keep on moving along.....aloha means goodbye

OldManJenkins

Post by OldManJenkins »

I <3 haters... lol only a matter of time before the Remilard haters popped their heads out!
Terao running away from Akeo?! Who cares?! He's the big dog and if you want him go get him! It was pretty evident to me he would be at 132 since he normally seems to be up one weight class from his national competition weight. If you wanted to challenge him you would know where to be.
Terao is a good wrestler but best out Hawaii? Time will only tell... too bad he doesn't have more competition locally, but then again that's every class... it is pretty sad when you can list top 3 competitors and most people agree (maybe not on order).

Haha you guys thought I was dead and gone but now I'm back!!!!
The Almighty GrumpyOldManJenkins coaching from right field is back.. and older

Kama
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by Kama »

Wow, I leave for a week and look at all the testosterone! Good to see lively discussions taking place.

I see LJ Remmilard is at the front of the discussion here. After thinking about it for a bit, I've come up with some
of my own conclusions.

First off, LJ went to a fantastic school and wrestling program in Punahou. First class all the way.
Oney and company really knew how to run a program. He was a part of the best high school wrestling team the state
has ever seen. And in the process won a couple of state titles. Not too shabby!

Being accepted into an Ivy league school like Brown university is an awesome achievement. It certainly takes a bright
individual to accomplish that. If anyone wonders what the difference between the ILH and the OIA is, look no further.
Add to that his participation in the wrestling program and what more could you ask for?

The moral of my story is this, Yes I will admit Brown wrestling has a smaller roster compared to the D1 powerhouses
which makes attaining a spot a much more realistic endeavor. If you look at the numbers for the big D1 programs only
1 out of every 700 high school wrestlers will put on a uniform for these giants. Of course the same can be said for
attending an Ivy league school. Where only 1 out of 1500 high school wrestlers will attend an Ivy league school.

So is it a fair assessment to say that by commenting on LJ wrestling for Brown an act of hating? I don't believe so.
It merely points out a statistical fact that it is easier to make it on a lineup with a smaller roster. It also points out that LJ
is one very smart young man who knows how to take advantage of an opening when he sees it! Gotta love these Puns.

Eh, Merry Christmas Too All!

Pun Dad
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by Pun Dad »

In recent years Punahou wrestlers have competed for Brown, Columbia, Princeton, Stanford, Princeton, Penn, Johns Hopkins, NYU and Cornell College. So while these schools may not make the list for top 20 wrestling programs, they are well represented on lists of top 20 academic programs.

halaokolele
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by halaokolele »

Sorry Kama,

One things every "collegiate" wrestler shares...... statistically if you don't know this answer than you never wrestled in college.

There is not a D1 wrestler alive who does not respect the work it takes to compete at the D1 level.

I'm guessing you never wrestled at the D1 collegiate level hence your word of choice "easier", nothing is easy at that level. Just to clarify I don't think LJ took advantage of a opening but he rather created an opening through his hard work and commitment.

My moral is simple, Give credit where credit is DUE!

Happy Holidays

lowkey
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by lowkey »

Cornell college? Really? That ain't "Big Red" D1.....

akana3
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by akana3 »

TwoCents wrote:Classic Talent vs Talent

Daniel Morita (Kahuku) vs Brandon Lowe (St Louis)

They both went to battle.
Definitely one of the best matches I've seen in Hawaii. I remember the whole crowd at the Blaisdell were on their feet. Non-stop action from beginning to the end. I wish they had that match on youtube.

OldManJenkins

Post by OldManJenkins »

You guys talk like LJ's goal was to get to a D1 college for the primary purpose to wrestle. As good as he may think he is, I am pretty sure academics was his primary reason for choosing an ivy league school. Unlike some of you who would rather place athletics over academics.
Most kids from ILH schools will pick their college based on academics not athletics, they are aware the odds are stacked against them in having an athletic career and they actually have a contingency plan. Maybe if you play football for St Louis this is different...

I want to see any of you take up wrestling and keep up with your school work at a Ivy league school, it sure not UH Rainbow advantage program!

I also wouldn't take anything away from D2 and 3 divisions in wrestling. I have seen some D1 vs D3 matches and there is no one wrestler dominating the other. You want to give credit where it is due... give it to any wrestler who has the heart and dedication to continue to pursue and excel at the sport at any level.
The Almighty GrumpyOldManJenkins coaching from right field is back.. and older

lowkey
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by lowkey »

Ok, there's David Terao, Shayden Terukina, Paihi Pestano, Zac Hernandez, LJ, Marcus Finau, Brandon Oshiro, Cassidy Oshiro, Kevin Corbett, Tyson Kuahine, Jacob Hoshino, Kai Kamaka, Evan Johnson, Patrick Sheehan, ThomasTawata, Brian Peralta and I know I'm missing more. Come on help me out here gang......

Kama
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by Kama »

halaokolele wrote:Sorry Kama,

One things every "collegiate" wrestler shares...... statistically if you don't know this answer than you never wrestled in college.

There is not a D1 wrestler alive who does not respect the work it takes to compete at the D1 level.

I'm guessing you never wrestled at the D1 collegiate level hence your word of choice "easier", nothing is easy at that level. Just to clarify I don't think LJ took advantage of a opening but he rather created an opening through his hard work and commitment.

My moral is simple, Give credit where credit is DUE!

Happy Holidays

I’m glad you feel that every D1 wrestler alive respects the work it takes to compete at the D1 level. I would have to agree. With that being said, I have no clue on how this has anything to do with what I posted so I’ll try to make it excruciatingly clear.

What I did say is that it’s easier to make the roster of a team that isn’t stacked with the best wrestlers as opposed to one that isn’t.

And a Happy New Year!

Kama
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by Kama »

lowkey wrote:Ok, there's David Terao, Shayden Terukina, Paihi Pestano, Zac Hernandez, LJ, Marcus Finau, Brandon Oshiro, Cassidy Oshiro, Kevin Corbett, Tyson Kuahine, Jacob Hoshino, Kai Kamaka, Evan Johnson, Patrick Sheehan, ThomasTawata, Brian Peralta and I know I'm missing more. Come on help me out here gang......

Drake Medeiros (st louis) wrestled for Menlo college. Theres a Pac5 kid at Menlo also. Keamalu Richardson (Kamehameha), sorry I forgot the school he's attending. Jonathan Spiker was recruited by Harvard. Although he wasn't able to wrestle due to health issues, I would respectfully put him on the list. The lightweight champ from campbell last year Brandon ??? (forgot his last name) is at Oregon state with Brian Peralta. Punahele Soriano from Kahuku is is wrestling in the NAIA (I forgot the school, He has a few videos on youtube)

justwrestle
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by justwrestle »

Surprised that the talk on officials had not began yet so ill break the ice. A lot of really good wrestling went on this weekend. Here's a recap and how I feel the season will play out now that we got a better look at things.
106- Pagurian seems to be the favorite coming in as a freshman but punahou'a Kato is right behind him.
113- Terukina looked good this weekend and I can see him following in Big brothers footsteps this year. However, if Balagso does cut down from 120 I don't see it happening, kids tough.
120- Balagso and Saribay went at it again with the same outcome. Both are great athletes, interesting to see the way this weight class will play out. Multiple contenders.
126- I was unaware that Daimond and Ursua met up in the semis, a little earlier than everyone expected but I heard the match was close and I got that being the state finals. Ursua looked slick on his feet in the finals.
132- Terao's mat wrestling was just too good for Z. Daimond as he gets the fall.
138- I expected a little more out of Crimmins, Akeo racked up points and took care of crimmins on the feet with nothing slowing him down.
145- Liam Corbett picked up the fall over a nobody, would be nice to see him and Jarmillio go at it at least once before states but that won't happen.
152- The most hyped up match of the night was everything people wanted to see. Solomon controlled the match and held a good lead, spoiling Jarmillio's attempt at a comeback. The question is will Jarmillio stay there and chase Solomon or back down to 145.