2014 Wrestling Speculation and Nonsense

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
wrestling808
High-quality H20 provider

Re: 2014 Wrestling Speculation and Nonsense

Post by wrestling808 »

Bula'ia Hawaiian wrote:Don't under estimate Kapolei. They are a power and big team, just wait till season comes around and I promise you they will make some noise.
I would never "underestimate" Kapolei. But until they actually do something I can't take them seriously.
FYI the season is here :-)

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

halaokolele wrote:She deserves everything she has earned and glad to see the media involved.

I disagree about athletes in general because locally we have had success in almost all major sports sans basketball.

I dont think they lost much numbers wise and will be in the hunt, I can only think of Rapoza to graduation.

There is only a few full girl teams, kamehameha, punahou, pearl city, lahaina. thats your top 4

HS Football Fanatic wrote:
wrestling808 wrote:Anybody see the article in the advertiser about Teshiya Alo "Unlucky to live Hawaii"?

I was curious to know what everyones take on that was. It seems that it applies for many athletes in general.
And while we're at it, since the girls are back in officials any predictions there?
Yeah, she's super-good, but she's only ONE girl. I understand they lost a lot of seniors from last year's ILH-champ team to graduation.
The four teams you listed: Is that a ranking? Would you rank Kamehameha #1?

halaokolele
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by halaokolele »

I would place Punahou on the bottom of that list.

After the conclusion of westerns yestersday at this point of the season PC does not seem to be as dominant as last year, maybe loosing their senior leadership, searching for an identity, not everyone wrestling or not passed hydration but they are missing their "mojo" of a year ago and it shows. Fuamatu may have been their emotional leader last year and they need someone to step up till than I moved them to #3.

Kamehameha has what it takes and just lost the title last year and they were a very young team but almost the same can be said for the Lunas but they needed a coupe more matches. Stud wise there is no better wrestler than Alo for Kamehameha but Lunas answer the call with Mataafa who will pin her way through to the title also. Lunas return Jaramillo who pinned a returning state champion, Kamehameha answers with Pacheco who actually has an easier road to the title than Jaramillo; but their returning champions kind of cancel out. It will come down to everyone else on the team, who can produce points and or titles. Lunas should move Dudoit as it will be tough to pull a title away from Alo, Kamehameha has Scheidt who could win it all no one gets points for 2nd place and a wresler can get more team points by taking third vs second at states.
So what team will have the supporting cast to trump the other both teams lacked light weights last year so if either has some sleepers getting ready to bust out they can be the deciding factor for the title.
#1A& #1B

Officials tournament is the closest things to states so it will be telling as to where the teams end up

Kamehameha 1a and lunas 1b. Both teams have studs so it will be up to the supporting cast to rack up some points to bring it home

justwrestle
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by justwrestle »

No disrespect to the girl, but lets get this topic going back to the boys. MIT's this weekend who you guys got?

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

halaokolele wrote:I would place Punahou on the bottom of that list.

After the conclusion of westerns yestersday at this point of the season PC does not seem to be as dominant as last year, maybe loosing their senior leadership, searching for an identity, not everyone wrestling or not passed hydration but they are missing their "mojo" of a year ago and it shows. Fuamatu may have been their emotional leader last year and they need someone to step up till than I moved them to #3.

Kamehameha has what it takes and just lost the title last year and they were a very young team but almost the same can be said for the Lunas but they needed a coupe more matches. Stud wise there is no better wrestler than Alo for Kamehameha but Lunas answer the call with Mataafa who will pin her way through to the title also. Lunas return Jaramillo who pinned a returning state champion, Kamehameha answers with Pacheco who actually has an easier road to the title than Jaramillo; but their returning champions kind of cancel out. It will come down to everyone else on the team, who can produce points and or titles. Lunas should move Dudoit as it will be tough to pull a title away from Alo, Kamehameha has Scheidt who could win it all no one gets points for 2nd place and a wresler can get more team points by taking third vs second at states.
So what team will have the supporting cast to trump the other both teams lacked light weights last year so if either has some sleepers getting ready to bust out they can be the deciding factor for the title.
#1A& #1B

Officials tournament is the closest things to states so it will be telling as to where the teams end up

Kamehameha 1a and lunas 1b. Both teams have studs so it will be up to the supporting cast to rack up some points to bring it home
Glad that you would rank Kamehameha that high; I was hoping they'd take States LAST year.

eastside
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by eastside »

MIT'S should have some exciting matches. Not sure what Oahu teams will be there. I think Pearl City and Mililani will be there, but not sure who else. I think Iolani and Pac 5 may be there as well. Will see what happens this week.

Didn't see any major match ups at aiea yesterday. Campbell wrestled well with the numbers they have. Pearl City looked okay, but was missing a bunch of their starting lineup along with Mililani.

halaokolele
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by halaokolele »

[quote="justwrestle"]No disrespect to the girl, but lets get this topic going back to the boys. MIT's this weekend who you guys got?[/quote]

None taken, no disrespect to MIT's but the action will be at Officials Tourney. I don't buy into the hype of MIT's nor do I buy into the hype of most pre season tournaments. Lahaina will face their best competition and go into the regular season seeing mainly fish all year long. Last year it was the Josh Terrao show up there and he repeated his performance at Officials, save your money Oahu nothing to chase out there.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

halaokolele wrote:
justwrestle wrote:No disrespect to the girl, but lets get this topic going back to the boys. MIT's this weekend who you guys got?
None taken, no disrespect to MIT's but the action will be at Officials Tourney. I don't buy into the hype of MIT's nor do I buy into the hype of most pre season tournaments. Lahaina will face their best competition and go into the regular season seeing mainly fish all year long. Last year it was the Josh Terrao show up there and he repeated his performance at Officials, save your money Oahu nothing to chase out there.
Does that apply to basketball, too? I'm not very happy with the results of some of the pre-season boys' basketball tournaments.

wrestling808

Post by wrestling808 »

halaokolele wrote:I would place Punahou on the bottom of that list.

#1A& #1B

What weight class do you see Jaramillo competing in and who do you think will be her main competition?

talloola25
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by talloola25 »

The only significant match I saw in Aiea was when Gima(Aiea) beat Rivera (PC).

FlexBuffchest
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by FlexBuffchest »

talloola25 wrote:The only significant match I saw in Aiea was when Gima(Aiea) beat Rivera (PC).
not sure that qualifies as significant :lol:

Kama
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by Kama »

talloola25 wrote:The only significant match I saw in Aiea was when Gima(Aiea) beat Rivera (PC).

Gima is a Senior from Aiea. I don't believe I have ever seen Rivera from Pearl City. Is he a Freshman?

eastside
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by eastside »

MIT's is a decent tournament and more importantly it's the only one this weekend. Kids need to be on the mat and until a few Oahu schools step up and put something together, if Oahu teams can go, they should.......

halaokolele
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by halaokolele »

[quote="wrestling808"]

What weight class do you see Jaramillo competing in and who do you think will be her main competition?[/quote]

It will all depend on Alo where she goes others will move!

140 I think it will be Pa'aina no one wants to go out by getting pinned in the finals. Although her style can often be labeled as boring she does have enough to get to the finals. After watching westerns Peralta will make a difference just over powering her competition she will create serious problems for this weight class, a great performance at officals will get her seeded in the top two at states.

halaokolele
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by halaokolele »

[quote="eastside"]MIT's is a decent tournament and more importantly it's the only one this weekend. Kids need to be on the mat and until a few Oahu schools step up and put something together, if Oahu teams can go, they should.......[/quote]

it is the only one going on.
With officials people dont realize how much weight is placed on this tourney for seeding in states, for some its now or never after officials its really based on what you did last year which makes no sense but thats how it goes. A good seeding at states can make a difference between getting into the finals or not