2014 Wrestling Speculation and Nonsense

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
Undftd
High-quality H20 provider
High-quality H20 provider

Re: 2014 Wrestling Speculation and Nonsense

Post by Undftd »

Kama wrote:Alright, in the finals at 138 will be Terao vs.. Akeo.
Does it matter who Terao faces? mine aswell put a punching bag out there and watch him pin it.
Undefeated. 11-0
State Champions

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

bloodred wrote:WRESTLING

GARNER IVEY MAUI INVITATIONAL

At War Memorial Gym

Friday's first-day team results

Boys

1. Lahainaluna 104; 2. Waianae 83; 3. Pac-Five 79; 4 (tie). Iolani and Mililani 73; 6. Liberty (Ore.)?71; 7. Baldwin 69; 8. Pearl City 61 1/2; 9. King Kekaulike 37; 10. Kaiser 36; 11. Kalaheo 31; 12. Kamehameha Maui 30; 13. Lanai 25 1/2; 14 (tie). Damien and Maui 20; 16. Hawaii Prep 18; 17. Kealakehe 16; 18. Hana 11; 19. Molokai 7 1/2; 20. Kahuku 7.

Girls

1. Waianae 52; 2. Lahainaluna 33; 3. Pearl City 26; 4. Pac-Five 25; 5. Molokai 21; 6. Mililani 14; 7. Baldwin 13; 8. Maui High 9; 9 (tie). Castle, Kahuku, Kalaheo, Lanai 7; 13 (tie). Damien, Iolani, Kealakehe, King Kekaulike 6.
Hey, Waianae is looking pretty good; boys AND girls.

talloola25
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by talloola25 »

Maui results?

bloodred
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by bloodred »

Lahainaluna High School did not miss a beat Saturday night during the Garner Ivey Maui Invitational Tournament at War Memorial Gym.

The Lunas claimed the boys' title and were a close second in the girls standings.

There were nine individual state champions at the meet, including Lahainaluna's Bubba Jaramillo and sister Carly Jaramillo.

"It was a good learning experience for everyone; how these state champions warm up and how they prepare for their matches and what they do to win," Bubba Jaramillo said.

The senior won three of his four matches by technical fall, including his 145-pound final, and helped the Lunas boys team pile up 231 points. Runner-up Mililani finished 72 points back and Waianae took third (152).

Carly Jaramillo needed less than 30 seconds to win her 140-pound final, as her team fell four points shy of a sweep for the West Maui school. The Waianae girls won with 141 points, and Molokai took third with 107.

Although defending champion Lalelei Mataafa of Lahainaluna was absent for the two-day tournament, a pair of freshmen - Iverly Navarro and Alexis Encinas - helped keep the Lunas close with the Seariders.

Navarro began Saturday night's series of finals with a triple-overtime 1-0 win over Waianae's Alexis Nelson.

"I was tearing (up) because I felt like giving up," Navarro said. "(But) I told myself I have to win."

The match was scoreless until Navarro executed an escape in the third overtime.

"I was so happy I was crying," she said.

Encinas had an equally dramatic win Friday after beating Mililani's Kelly Rivera, who placed third at the state tournament in the 105-pound division last year. The freshman went on to face defending state champion Aarica Barcina of Kahuku in the final, but lost 7-1.

"It's a really great experience to face state placers," Encinas said. "I really just had the mindset to not get pinned and keep it going because I know this is my first high school match, so the experience was really crucial."

Other Maui County girls capturing titles included Jenna Mauliola (113) of King Kekaulike, Desiree Corpuz (117) and Rizpah Torres-Umi (135) of Molokai, Shayna Boteilho (130) and Courtnie Taua (175) of Baldwin, and Karina Arroyo Haro (155) of Lahainaluna.

The Lunas boys captured their title thanks to wins by Izaak Panlasigui Domingo (106), Christian Balagso (120), Thomas Rosen-St. John (170), and Connor Mowat (285).

Rosen-St. John, who was competing in the invitational for the third time, captured his first title in his weight-class with a 4-2 win over Pearl City's Kristian Vaana Kikuyama.

"It feels great," Rosen-St. John said. "Me and my workout partner, Bubba (Jaramillo) - he has been working with me a lot and going all out for that state title."

Rex Hazuka of King Kekaulike was the only other Maui County boy to capture a title (195).

Baldwin sophomore Thomas Stevenson found himself outside of the 138-pound final match after losing to Pac-Five's Joshua Terao - a three-time state and junior national champion - in the semifinals.

"It was a stacked weight and a great opportunity," Stevenson said. "If you want to be the best you have to take out the best and I won't run away from anybody."

Evaluating the talent assembled at the gym, Lunas assistant coach Shane Cunanan was proud of how his team fared against the tough Oahu wrestlers.

"We're so grateful for the Oahu teams to come over and the competition they bring is at another level," he said.

FlexBuffchest
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by FlexBuffchest »

I guess no OIA or ILH kids wrestled in Maui this week.

halaokolele
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by halaokolele »

This weekends tournament at Leilehua will reveal much more. Waianae girls winning the tournament? Thats a surprise for me and makes me wonder if the lunas are fully loaded or they are over rated. Perhaps the seariders are underrated.
Millilani taking second is no surprise and coupled with other talented teams the lunas wont win so much weight classes

justwrestle
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by justwrestle »

From what I saw this weekend, it was a great turnout with a lot of good wrestling going on. Here's my recap.
106- Lahaina kid looks tough and will be a contender, dominated Iolani's freshman for the Title.
113- Jordan Ng looked dominant and will be the front runner. Heard Balagso is dropping down from 120 and if so that should be our state finals.
120- One of the most exciting matches was Balagso vs Saribay good action with some nice scrambles, Balagso controlled the match and picked up the W
126- Returning state champ Alex Ursua claimed this weight over Issac Daimond in a great match, Daimond seemed like the better mat wrestler but Ursua was a little too good on the feet.
132- Zack Daimond dominated PAC 5's cole chandler with a very impressive performance.
138- This was the deepest weight by far this weekend with 2 state champions and a runner up here. 3x state champion Joshua Terao defeated 2x state champion Braydon Akeo. Akeo controlled and pushed the pace but terao's slickness got him the takedowns he needed to win.
145- Bubba Jarmilio dominated in the finals, nothing much to say about it.
152- Jacob Solomon will be the guy to beat as he wrestled well this weekend. Robert Campos was expected to be a top contender but was unable to make a statement this weekend.
160- Cooper is just an animal and pinned his was to another title.

FlexBuffchest
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by FlexBuffchest »

justwrestle wrote:From what I saw this weekend, it was a great turnout with a lot of good wrestling going on. Here's my recap.
106- Lahaina kid looks tough and will be a contender, dominated Iolani's freshman for the Title.
113- Jordan Ng looked dominant and will be the front runner. Heard Balagso is dropping down from 120 and if so that should be our state finals.
120- One of the most exciting matches was Balagso vs Saribay good action with some nice scrambles, Balagso controlled the match and picked up the W
126- Returning state champ Alex Ursua claimed this weight over Issac Daimond in a great match, Daimond seemed like the better mat wrestler but Ursua was a little too good on the feet.
132- Zack Daimond dominated PAC 5's cole chandler with a very impressive performance.
138- This was the deepest weight by far this weekend with 2 state champions and a runner up here. 3x state champion Joshua Terao defeated 2x state champion Braydon Akeo. Akeo controlled and pushed the pace but terao's slickness got him the takedowns he needed to win.
152- Jacob Solomon will be the guy to beat as he wrestled well this weekend. Robert Campos was expected to be a top contender but was unable to make a statement this weekend.
160- Cooper is just an animal and pinned his was to another title.
Nice recap. My recap of M.I.T.s is great wrestling and horrible officiating. The worst iv'e ever seen. Id be shocked if some of the newer refs had ever seen a wrestling match prior to this weekend. If they want to break in the new refs they need to do it before the maui invitational. If kids are going to pay to travel to these tournaments they deserve the best officiating possible.

halaokolele
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by halaokolele »

[quote="justwrestle"]From what I saw this weekend, it was a great turnout with a lot of good wrestling going on. Here's my recap.
160- Cooper is just an animal and pinned his was to another title.[/quote]

Great to see another perspective other than just covering the maui kids, not that I blame Maui News but enjoy the recap of the finals. Glad to see Akeo chasing the comp(nationaly ranked Terao)
, will do him wonders at the next level

lowkey
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by lowkey »

Ng and Solomon looked dominant, both looked smooth and confident against tough mainland opponents!
I think the Usura/Diamond saga will be exciting all season!
Akeo chasing Terao? Please, Akeo will wrestle whoever you put in front of him but I'm sure he ain't chasing Terao. Both wrestlers moving up in weight class. My understanding is Terao is hydrated 126 but will wrestle 132. The push up to 138 was to allow Chandler into the lineup and get him some mat time. Good move as Chandler got to the finals at MIT. I think training with Terao will improve Chandler as it apparently did for Usura. Terao was never in danger, I personally wanted Akeo to be more agressive as this may have been his only shot at Terao for the year.
Anyway you slice it Mililani boys are a force and Akeo will have his way at 138 when Terao moves back. But the season is just starting and anything can happen!

justwrestle
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by justwrestle »

I agree with flexbuffchest the officiating was horrible, a lot of blown calls but I would also like to give them a little props since they were not paid this weekend, but need to a better job of assigning experienced officials to the big matches.

There should be a few key weight changes this week or throughout the season from what I heard.
113- Balagso should be here when his decent allows him.
126- Cole Chandler should be here this weekend and possibly a top contender. Only seen one match of his recently so not quite sure of his ability.
132- Terao has comitted to going down a weight from this past weekend, should be intresting.

TwoCents
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by TwoCents »

King K 195 looked mean and aggressive. Had kind of a cheap slam in an early round but might have been in the heat of the moment. Should be a solid contender. I want to see more of him so hope he comes over to the big city Officials.

Solomon looked like a mainland wrestler. Looks solid. State champ at 152.

Cooper tech pinned his finals match. Looks like an all around wrestler as well as a beast like his older brother. Quick, strong, technical. Baby Cooper looked way better but was in a deep 120 weight bracket. His Cooperness is still developing.

Big red head 220 beat an out of shape Furuta and won the whole show. Still have Furuta as my favorite. He looked good with big red first period then gassed. Both looked good. Furuta took 3rd I believe.

Liberty team was denied any champions. Go Hawaii! No disrespect intended just cheering on the home team. I believe there were 3 or 4 in the finals.

Officials will tell more but it's still pre-season. Gotta love it!

halaokolele
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by halaokolele »

[quote="lowkey"]Ng and Solomon looked dominant, both looked smooth and confident against tough mainland opponents!
I think the Usura/Diamond saga will be exciting all season!
Akeo chasing Terao? Please, Akeo will wrestle whoever you put in front of him but I'm sure he ain't chasing Terao. Both wrestlers moving up in weight class. My understanding is Terao is hydrated 126 but will wrestle 132. The push up to 138 was to allow Chandler into the lineup and get him some mat time. Good move as Chandler got to the finals at MIT. I think training with Terao will improve Chandler as it apparently did for Usura. Terao was never in danger, I personally wanted Akeo to be more agressive as this may have been his only shot at Terao for the year.
Anyway you slice it Mililani boys are a force and Akeo will have his way at 138 when Terao moves back. But the season is just starting and anything can happen![/quote]

Should be exciting they are both in the west and will face each other all year
Make sense about Akeo to bad, kids are more concerned about being multi timers vs facing comp. Hope Terao stays at 138.
train with Terao all they like but nobody is in that kids leauge.

Cooper is the next best wrestler in the state to Terao and if he has the grades he has D1 potential. I think they are the only two in this upcoming class

TwoCents
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by TwoCents »

Classic Talent vs Talent

Daniel Morita (Kahuku) vs Brandon Lowe (St Louis)

They both went to battle.

FlexBuffchest
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by FlexBuffchest »

Both Terao and Akeo are hydrated for lower weights however I dont see those 2 meeting up again this yr. I believe Terao is going 132 and with the 2 Diamonds below I dont see Akeo dropping down to chase him.