2014 Wrestling Speculation and Nonsense

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
justwrestle
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Re: 2014 Wrestling Speculation and Nonsense

Post by justwrestle »

I agree. They are both friends and training partners at grapplers HI and at Team Hawaii, it wouldn't make sense. Glad we got to see them go at it at least once in their highschool career.

halaokolele
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by halaokolele »

[quote="justwrestle"]I agree. They are both friends and training partners at grapplers HI and at Team Hawaii, it wouldn't make sense. Glad we got to see them go at it at least once in their highschool career.[/quote]

BIGGEST difference compared to the states in wrestling.. There is no "Friends" wearing different unis during season, until than Hawaii wrestlers will continue to have the stigma of being soft, looking for the easiest way out. You don't make room for your friends on the mainland, you go out and show the world that you only deserve what you earn ala Dake and Taylor

If that is the concept of Team Hawaii than Team Hawaii can go to hell, because it tells everyone he is your team so don't go wrestle him for states, that's just straight P**SYING out.

Be like RC3, he went out to seek and destroy state champions, may not be a 4 timer but provided the most exciting matches in recent memories.

FlexBuffchest
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by FlexBuffchest »

Dake and Taylor went where their teams needed them to go. Im sure Terao and Akeo will do the same. Wherever that may be.

lowkey
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by lowkey »

halaokolele wrote:
justwrestle wrote:I agree. They are both friends and training partners at grapplers HI and at Team Hawaii, it wouldn't make sense. Glad we got to see them go at it at least once in their highschool career.
BIGGEST difference compared to the states in wrestling.. There is no "Friends" wearing different unis during season, until than Hawaii wrestlers will continue to have the stigma of being soft, looking for the easiest way out. You don't make room for your friends on the mainland, you go out and show the world that you only deserve what you earn ala Dake and Taylor

If that is the concept of Team Hawaii than Team Hawaii can go to hell, because it tells everyone he is your team so don't go wrestle him for states, that's just straight P**SYING out.

Be like RC3, he went out to seek and destroy state champions, may not be a 4 timer but provided the most exciting matches in recent memories.
Haha.... I love this forum. @ Halaokolele...... you must miss the old "Team Hawaii"? You calling Josh Terao a pussy? Did you know that Dake and Taylor used trained together and are good friends? You must be hoping for Team Hawaii to fail huh?
Team Hawaii don't need your help. Terao 2X double AA /National Champ didn't need your help, so much for going to hell. Hahaha...
P.S. you really believe Terao vs Akeo match is like "holding hands and warm fuzzy's"????
Hahaha......Halaokolele, maybe you should take up full contact hula (no disrespect to my hula friends) :lol:

hybridgrappler
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by hybridgrappler »

halaokolele wrote:
justwrestle wrote:I agree. They are both friends and training partners at grapplers HI and at Team Hawaii, it wouldn't make sense. Glad we got to see them go at it at least once in their highschool career.

I really can't understand your argument here, mainly because efforts like Team Hawaii that give our kids chance to compete at the national level are what allows them to get recruited by college coaches. The reason why kids like the Terao brothers and Pestano are wrestling at the Division 1 level is because they had the opportunity and succeeded at tournaments like Fargo. I also think that bringing up Ray Cooper is irrelevant and, in a way, ironic here as he is not wrestling at the collegiate level; in fact, one of the state champions he, "destroyed," Patrick Sheehan is. There are plenty of examples in Hawaii high school wrestling where kids have challenged themselves in tough weight classes and Terao and Akeo are just gong to be in different weights because of physical differences. Also, I think that the match between these two was essentially Hawaii's version of Dake versus Taylor so I wish I could have seen it in person.

halaokolele
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by halaokolele »

team hawaii is great just dont like the reasoning behind cant wrestle cause they are friends crap. JT is the only nationaly ranked wrestler on the boys side and possibly one of the best ever and everyone is running we need boys who want to accept the challenge

lets all not forget wrestling is an individual sport, josh terraos training regiment is well documented..coaches are very quick to take credit for a kid success however true or far from the truth it is

http://www.win-magazine.com/2011/11/dad ... childhood/

lowkey
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by lowkey »

halaokolele wrote:team hawaii is great just dont like the reasoning behind cant wrestle cause they are friends crap. JT is the only nationaly ranked wrestler on the boys side and possibly one of the best ever and everyone is running we need boys who want to accept the challenge

lets all not forget wrestling is an individual sport, josh terraos training regiment is well documented..coaches are very quick to take credit for a kid success however true or far from the truth it is

http://www.win-magazine.com/2011/11/dad ... childhood/

I don't know where this inference that "team hawaii" = "can't wrestle cause they are friends crap" comes from..... Team hawaii (old or new) has never promoted anything to suggest that, however they do (as I) condone the showing of respect. When they (the teraos brothers) shake hands or bow in.........they flip the switch, then it's business as usual. Nothing personal. They come to fight, always. They expect others to do the same.
After the match, that when they have a choice to be friend's, enemy's, gentlemen, teamates, whatever....... big difference.

Baldwin's Thomas Stevenson said it best after his match with Josh Terao "if you want to be the best you have to take out the best and I won't run away from anybody!" That I respect! P.S . They were both teamates on Team Hawaii. 8)

halaokolele
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by halaokolele »

[quote="lowkey"][quote="halaokolele"]team hawaii is great just dont like the reasoning behind cant wrestle cause they are friends crap. JT is the only nationaly ranked wrestler on the boys side and possibly one of the best ever and everyone is running we need boys who want to accept the challenge

http://www.win-magazine.com/2011/11/dad ... childhood/[/quote]

I don't know where this inference that "team hawaii" = "can't wrestle cause they are friends crap" comes from..... Team hawaii (old or new) has never promoted anything to suggest that, however they do (as I) condone the showing of respect. When they (the teraos brothers) shake hands or bow in.........they flip the switch, then it's business as usual. Nothing personal. They come to fight, always. They expect others to do the same.
After the match, that when they have a choice to be friend's, enemy's, gentlemen, teamates, whatever....... big difference.

Baldwin's Thomas Stevenson said it best after his match with Josh Terao "if you want to be the best you have to take out the best and I won't run away from anybody!" That I respect! P.S . They were both teamates on Team Hawaii. 8)[/quote]

"I agree. They are both friends and training partners at grapplers HI and at Team Hawaii, it wouldn't make sense. Glad we got to see them go at it at least once in their highschool career." - justwrestle

I believe you train for the best! The Teraos are great examples for everyone who wrestles and will continue to pave the way for Hawaii!

I respect that also

TwoCents
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by TwoCents »

Most of the best wrestlers know each other because they have competed since they were kids whether in wrestling judo grappling whatever. They want to be the best. The ones that want it and have the resources and support are the ones you see dominating. To everyone else it's a hobby or a secondary sport.

Akeo or Terao are too committed to not want to win but are not stand alone athletes. They are on a team and some decisions are not solely theirs to make. Like "chasing" someone. Also body size, hydration, or next level considerations play into it.

The problem in Hawaii is the depth of competition. There are only two or three athletes per weight class that dominate everyone else. The rest are not even close. Hopefully that changes as the youth wrestlers start to hit the high school ranks.

kauwildman
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by kauwildman »

Of course Hawaii lacks depth in it's state caliber wrestlers, we've only got 1.2 million people in the whole state. That's about like San Diego. Hawaii produces good quality wrestlers for an area it's size and there have been alot of D1 wrestlers produced here over the past 15 years. Hawaii wrestlers have fared quite well in national tournaments in the past.

halaokolele
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by halaokolele »

[quote="kauwildman"]Of course Hawaii lacks depth in it's state caliber wrestlers, we've only got 1.2 million people in the whole state. That's about like San Diego. Hawaii produces good quality wrestlers for an area it's size and there have been alot of D1 wrestlers produced here over the past 15 years. Hawaii wrestlers have fared quite well in national tournaments in the past.[/quote]

hawaii wrestling is moving in the right direction as evidence look at D1 wrestlers from the last 3-4 years. Terao, Terukina, Oshiro, Ikehara, Pestano, thiis year you go Terao already commited to American, will there be more this year? I hope so,

OTHwrestle
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by OTHwrestle »

You can add add Remillard to the list of Hawaii wrestlers now wrestling at the D1 level in college. And like Pestano he has already placed in a college tournament.

OTHwrestle
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by OTHwrestle »

And it's worth mentioning that, in wrestling, Hawaii only has one division for the entire state so that kids from all schools that offer wrestling are competing for a single state championship for a given weight. Oregon, for instance, has 6 classes (1a for small schools through 6a for the biggest schools) and therefore has 6 state champions each year for each weight class.

TwoCents
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by TwoCents »

kauwildman wrote:Of course Hawaii lacks depth in it's state caliber wrestlers, we've only got 1.2 million people in the whole state. That's about like San Diego. Hawaii produces good quality wrestlers for an area it's size and there have been alot of D1 wrestlers produced here over the past 15 years. Hawaii wrestlers have fared quite well in national tournaments in the past.
Some Hawaii wrestlers have done ok. 2 or 3 have done "quite well". I would guess the last three years has seen more D1 wrestlers out of Hawaii which makes my point. As the youth trickle into the high school ranks it will improve. Most of your D1 college kids are also private school which is college prep curriculum as well. Scholarships go to the students who the school feels will succeed.

San Diego probably has multiple weekly local tournaments 2 or 3 times the size of one Hawaii tournament. If they want to catch a regional tournament they jump in their car and take a road trip. Your population comparison is less relevant than the logistics of Hawaii competing with a "depth" of talent. Hawaii kids are athletic and raw. Given the opportunity they excel which is why I say the kids with the desire, resources and support dominate.

Our community is too small for a 1A, 2A, etc. for wrestling.

OTHwrestle
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by OTHwrestle »

And Hernandez is starting at Columbia (DI) and has also placed in a tournament this year.