2014 Wrestling Speculation and Nonsense

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
Kama
Pine rider
Pine rider

2014 Wrestling Speculation and Nonsense

Post by Kama »

Wrestling starts in just 3 months and it should be a historic season. With Terao going for 4 straight titles and undefeated, I'm curious to see what weight he'll be landing on. With the annual purging of seniors, who benefits the most? My take is that Jonah Hoshino finally makes it to a championship. With Peralta graduating in 2012 and Remmilard in 2013, Hoshino has finally rid himself of those pesky "Buff" boys. Of course Cooper could pay a visit to 160 and make Jonah say "why me?"

On the girls side I don't see Teshiya Alo loosing to anyone. Even if you tied one arm behind her back she'd still win. Then we have Teniya Alo the "little sister" or as I've come to refer to as the "lightweight tornado". She's gonna make life absolutely miserable for anyone in her weight. Score 1 champion for Iolani. The action looks to be in the middleweights, Let's see who blinks first, Paaaina, Jaramillo or Hernandez. In a game of musical chairs there are only two chairs for three wrestlers. Of course Teshiya Alo could go to 135 which would put the squeeze on those three. Will life be that cruel?

And for the teams (a wrestling oxymoron) who stands to put together the best group of wrestlers for the boys and for the girls? Will Kamehameha repeat for the boys or will they prove to be a one trick pony? With Pearl City losing "Yeah, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah" Fuamatu to graduation, will they be able to reload and do it again? Or will Kamehameha's lady wrestlers wake up and finally do what they should have done last season. Perhaps if Teshiya Alo were to dress in disguise she could wrestle 130, 135 and 140? What a nightmare that would be!

Anyone wanna chime in?

wrestling808
High-quality H20 provider

Re: 2014 Wrestling Speculation and Nonsense

Post by wrestling808 »

Hey Kama you should write a weekly wrestling comedy page!

I think Pearl City has the girls to give Kam a run. Kam only got Pacheco and Alo the rest of the squad is really lacking. So I like PCs chances.
I heard Punahou got a new coach so that scene remains to be seen. I think Mililani boys gonna make some noise.

Lahainaluna got a big team so based on that they got a good chance to push it to the max. Can't wait for the action to begin!

Leftfieldcoachlikeu

Post by Leftfieldcoachlikeu »

I think Teniya will be 8th grade?

I think Kam only graduated Bree Rapoza, that means they have 13 returning starters?

I think someone should confirm or correct those last 2 statements.

Kama
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by Kama »

Leftfieldcoachlikeu wrote:I think Teniya will be 8th grade?

I think Kam only graduated Bree Rapoza, that means they have 13 returning starters?

I think someone should confirm or correct those last 2 statements.

Teniya Alo is in the 9th grade at Iolani. Score 1 championship for Iolani.

Rapoza was 1 of 3 girl champions for Kamehameha. She will be sorely missed. The returning starters are anemic at best.
They did nothing last year and they'll do the same this year. Pacheco and Alo will carry the team.

Kama
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by Kama »

It looks as though the girls are gonna be iced out at the upcoming officials wrestling tournament this December. It appears that the JV boys will be replacing the girls.

Now parents of the JV boys this will be smiling with joy and celebration. They can now watch Johnny boy wrestle instead of watching the girls. Unfortunately, the parents
of little Michelle won't be there because the girls have been kicked out of the tournament. I'm not sure what the logic behind this was, but here are a few of the ideas I've
come up with.

A) "We got rid of the girls because they are not that good."
The JV boys have some really awful matches themselves. I know I've cringed watching.

B) "We need to give more opportunities to the JV boys to get better."
The same can be said for the girls. Many of the top female wrestlers are wrestling in college
with scholarship assistance. So it really matters for them also.

C) "Nobody wants to watch the girls."
The majority of audience are there because they have a wrestler in the tournament. There are some
elite matches that everyone anticipates and wants to see. Like when Cooper and Sheehan wrestled.

D) "Wrestling is a mans sport"
I believed that also. However, the genie is out of the bottle and girls are wrestling. As much as I wasn't
in favor of this, I will admit girls wrestling has come a long way. We've got arguably the best female
16 year old wrestler in the country along with a bunch of top notch girls on the wings.

If anyone else has any ideas please post them. In conclusion, there are already a bunch of JV boys represented
at officials. For teams that enter more than 14 wrestlers the rest are JV. To me officials is a preview of states. It
allows the wrestlers to size each other and themselves up. JV tournaments are absolutely necessary to give
them the mat time they need. But NOT at officials and NOT at the expense of the girls.

bloodred
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by bloodred »

Doesn't Punahou have an all girls tournament on or about the same time as officials? Officials has always had 9th and 10th graders wrestling now if they are out classed they still have more chances to wrestle live matches instead of being eliminated after 2 matches. I think it was a smart move. If a wrestler is in JV at officials I doubt they will make states so the varsity tournament should still be a good gage of what to expect. What we won't see is a lot of fish getting destroyed.

WrestlerJudoka
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by WrestlerJudoka »

Actually, Teniya Alo is still in the 8th grade.

halaokolele
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by halaokolele »

The girls have their own tournament at Punahou, aka girls officials tournament.

Which includes jv and different level classification. pool A, B, etc...

I think its more than fair for both sexes, perhaps one day they can split states like boys and girls like they do with soccer, basketball, baseball, volkeyball, etc.

The girls deserve their own championship!

[quote="Kama"]It looks as though the girls are gonna be iced out at the upcoming officials wrestling tournament this December. It appears that the JV boys will be replacing the girls.

Now parents of the JV boys this will be smiling with joy and celebration. They can now watch Johnny boy wrestle instead of watching the girls. Unfortunately, the parents
of little Michelle won't be there because the girls have been kicked out of the tournament. I'm not sure what the logic behind this was, but here are a few of the ideas I've
come up with.

A) "We got rid of the girls because they are not that good."
The JV boys have some really awful matches themselves. I know I've cringed watching.

B) "We need to give more opportunities to the JV boys to get better."
The same can be said for the girls. Many of the top female wrestlers are wrestling in college
with scholarship assistance. So it really matters for them also.

C) "Nobody wants to watch the girls."
The majority of audience are there because they have a wrestler in the tournament. There are some
elite matches that everyone anticipates and wants to see. Like when Cooper and Sheehan wrestled.

D) "Wrestling is a mans sport"
I believed that also. However, the genie is out of the bottle and girls are wrestling. As much as I wasn't
in favor of this, I will admit girls wrestling has come a long way. We've got arguably the best female
16 year old wrestler in the country along with a bunch of top notch girls on the wings.

If anyone else has any ideas please post them. In conclusion, there are already a bunch of JV boys represented
at officials. For teams that enter more than 14 wrestlers the rest are JV. To me officials is a preview of states. It
allows the wrestlers to size each other and themselves up. JV tournaments are absolutely necessary to give
them the mat time they need. But NOT at officials and NOT at the expense of the girls.[/quote]

hybridgrappler
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by hybridgrappler »

Splitting the state tournament for the guys and girls would definitely be an interesting concept. I do think, however, that the guys and girls enjoying competing alongside each other and it might be difficult to pitch to the HHSAA as our sport doesn't get the most support, unfortunately.

On another note, check out this interview on Takedown Radio about Josh Terao, nice to see more Hawaii wrestlers headed to the Division I level.

http://www.takedownradio.com/articles/8263

Cyber Ninja808
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by Cyber Ninja808 »

With Alex Ursua back at Pearl City along with Cooper and a few good fill ins I think PC can make a run at OIA's.

lowkey
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by lowkey »

When is wrestling season gonna officially start???

halaokolele
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by halaokolele »

Started

My HI 5 picks: boys
Lahaina - To much bullets, they qualify thier entire lineup! MIL they are allowed to place two wrestlers in each weight class to help qualify for the state tourney. Add to the fact that they are talented and a hungry bunch, Maui has been waiting a long time for this one and in wrestling 2014 the lahaina faithful can finally say " Maui no ka oi"
Millilani- This team will lack depth again, but what they lack in depth they make up with very,very talented wrestlers dont be surprised to see this team with 5 finalist.
Campbell- A team on the upswing for the last couple years not the most talented bunch in the group but they never lack effort. A bunch of hard nosed kids who will stay with you to the bitter end and wrestle like their life depends upon it
Punahou- Gone are the days when the talk was not if they would win it but by how much. Honda has a long road ahead of him but is capable and has hard worker up and down his room.
Iolani- Can they get back to the glory years, I think they are on their way. Their program has been redeveloping over the last couple of years. they are young but very skilled need to be tested in tough matches and pull out wins

Last year Boys was very entertaining and Kamehameha was the favorite going in and they pulled it off and got 4 indie titles along the way, this year however they wont be cracking the top 5 as they go into rebuilding mode after graduating thier heavy senior class.
*Girls:
Lahina - These girls are on a mission, they are a bunch of rough and tough country girls coming to kick a$$! Last year they showed they belong this year they want it all! They will accomplish what Kamehameha failed to do and take both titles home. The Luna Nation will be going LunaTic and can once again say, "Maui No ka oi"
Pearl City- Worked hard for their title last year and although was not favored coming in they took the championship away and brought it home. They intend to keep it that way, they have many talented wrestlers who have the experience and grit to win the title
Kamehameha- Depth might be lacking here but have stud numero uno in Alo, if they want to win it she needs to become the leader of that team and do it quickly. They have some talent but as a team seem to lack the fire needed, they also have depth but need to add quality to thier depth?

Lunas pre-season #1, I am just speculating and by no means an expert

eonatoa
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by eonatoa »

Sad to see the girls out of the tourney. I like watching them wrestle, some of them are more competitive than the boys, especially JV boys. Bad call!

lowkey
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by lowkey »

Any predictions by weight class and/or league? Up&comers, dark horses and dominators???? :D

justwrestle
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by justwrestle »

Justwrestles back on what should be another exciting season with Hawaii wrestling ;) got my predictions locked up. Weights may vary not being 100% sure on what weight each individual is going. Also new weights implemented this season.
106- shaky weight with no studs here. Chance from kaiser might be a top contender.
113- Balagso (lah) and Terukina (kam) got the top 2 spots at this weight, looking foward to watch them battle.
120- Another wide open weight, Maybe Shandon Illaban (rad) can make some noise. No retiring state placers at this weight.
126- Returing state champ Alex Ursua (pchs)is the clear front runner here with baby Daimond(MIL) right behind. Gonna be an exciting match.
132- No question really. Terao(pac5) takes his 4th title without struggle. Issac Daimond(MIL) would most likely be the top contender.
138- Brayden Akeo(MIL) looks for his third State Title and if he has the strength and man power to hang after moving up so much weight classes he should get it. Possibly Crimmins(pun) as a contender.
145- I say Bubba Jarmillio(LAH) is the favorite, Corbett (Rad) will give him a match and look to get the Corbett family their first state title.
152- Anyone's game. Jacob Solomon (KAH) could be the favorite.
160- Blake cooper is attempting to follow in his brothers Footsteps and get his 3rd title and should easily do so, kids a beast.