cross country

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
hzy
High-quality H20 provider

Re: cross country

Post by hzy »

I can appreciate the fact that there was great competition and things were ran well. What I don't understand is how an event such as this, which is supposed to be the marquee cross country race in Hawaii, can have a course that is obviously short.

whoewa70
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by whoewa70 »

They said at the coaches meeting that the 1 mile mark was 100 yards short, but all the other marks were correct. I wonder if they are measuring according the NFHS rules, which state that you don't measure the line marking the course. You measure the shortest route allowed on the marked course. I had 95% of my kids running PRs on the course. I take it for what it was, a short course and just look at how everyone placed. Times don't mean much for this one. Good luck to everyone going forward into the Championship part of the XC season.

whoewa70
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by whoewa70 »

HHSAA Cross Country packet is out and online at http://www.sportshigh.com/sports/cross_ ... ament/2013

Everyone is in Championship mode already with OIA running JV Championships this weekend at CORP. Next week all leagues run their Championships leading up to States at Island School on Kauai on Friday October 25, 2013. No changes made to the scoring of the D1 and D2 teams. They are using the same process as last year and scoring all teams together and the 1st D2 team is the D2 champion and so on. A lot remains to be decided, but I still stand by my early season predictions.

I think on the girls side it's pretty clear cut. For Dakota Grossman (Seabury) it's her race to lose, but for her senior year I wouldn't bet against her. The race after her will be interesting with girls like Teri Brady (Punahou), . For girls team I think Punahou and HPA will be battling it out, other teams to consider would be Hilo, Kaiser, Kalaheo, Leilehua on the D1 side. Seabury Hall is the favorite to defend its D2 title.

The boys side is interesting and exciting for me. Davis Kaahanui (Kamehameha-Kapalama) has been the frontrunner for most of the year, with Makai Clemmons (Kalaheo) right on his tail. Team battle again will be tight with in my opinion Kamehameha-Kapalama as the favorite, with Kalaheo, Punahou, Pearl City, Radford, and Campbell in the mix. I am stumped on the D2 for boys, not really sure who is in it so I am very sorry.

Good luck to all the student-athletes in the next few weeks and hope to see you all at States.
Last edited by whoewa70 on Sun Oct 13, 2013 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hzy

Post by hzy »

*Dakota Grossman

whoewa70
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by whoewa70 »

hzy wrote:*Dakota Grossman
Thanks Hzy. Got it wrong on the last name. Corrected, but she still the easy frontrunner.

whoewa70
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by whoewa70 »

HHSAA State XC Championships at Island School, Lihue, Kauai

Just a few more days until it happens.....what are everyones thoughts going in?

I think it will be a lot of fun on the fastest State XC course. Girls side is getting closer with great times and races in league championships. Dakota Grossman(Seabury Hall) is still the favorite and the race is hers to lose. Amanda Beaman(Iolani) ran great at ILH Champs to beat the 3 sophomores from Punahou. Kristiana Van Pernis(HPA)is back at the top winning the BIIF over Carmen Garson-Shumway(Hilo). The OIA presents Vanessa Roybal (Mililani) as their top female coming in to stir things up. Team title will be interesting with Kaiser, HPA, and Punahou putting up strong "team" performances.

For the boys Davis "Ku" Kaahanui(KSK) looked unbeatable for most of this season until this past Saturday. Helping his team win the ILH over Punahou, he led his teammate Kaeo Kruse(KSK), edging him at the tape. Makai Clemons(Kalaheo) won't be too far behind, neither will Jacques Hebert(Punahou) and don't count out Ian McQuate(Waiakea). On the team standings I would think Kamehameha-Kapalama is the early favorite with Punahou, Iolani, Radford, and Campbell challenging. This year depth means everything for the Boys Team Title.

I'm sorry I didn't put much about Division I and Division II, but neither does the HHSAA or the leagues when it comes to cross country. The coaches spoke up last year, but no one listened so the scoring of the meet remains the same (and incorrect). Girls Division II should go to Seabury Hall, but I am unsure of who has Divsion II boys teams (the OIA has none sadly) so I will leave it as a toss up.

Good luck to all you student-athletes who qualified for the State XC Championships. See you all in Lihue on Thursday and Friday. For those who didn't qualify, Congratulations on a great season and see you all next year on Oahu. Keep running>>>>

OIAcoach
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by OIAcoach »

Thank for the insight Whoewa70. I wish I was making the trip this year. But with no runners I guess I'll be waiting for the results online :(. Good luck to all the OIA runners.

WHAT
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by WHAT »

Boys Team Rankings D I
Kamehameha 2012 Champs Big Favorite
Punahou Only Team to contend with KSK
Iolani ILH Very Tough league
Radford Oia Champs
Lahainaluna MIL Champs

D II Boys
HonoKaa BIIF Champs
Kamehameha Hawaii
Seabury Hall
HBA 2012 Champs
Island School KIF Champs Home Course

Girls Team Rankings D I
Punahou 2012 Champs 5 Girls in the top 20
HPA BIIF Champs Always Good
Kaiser OIA Champs
Iolani
Kamehameha Normally Finishes in the top five at States

DII Girls
Seabury Hall 2012 Champs Could finish top 3
Kamehameha Hawaii Runner-up 2012
HBA
Kapaa KIF Champs

goodfaith
Starter
Starter

Post by goodfaith »

Lots of good young runners in the girl's varsity. Mililani, Punahou, Iolani 10th graders. Should be a close boy's varsity race.

RunJonPaulAMPM
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by RunJonPaulAMPM »

Any predictions for the 2015 Hawaii High School Cross Country season? I believe this year States is on Maui, back at Kapalua most likely.

hzy

Post by hzy »

I don't know exactly where the state meet will be this year, but I know it won't be at Kapalua. Xterra has moved their event from the week prior to states to the week of.

hzy

Post by hzy »

Bump

WHAT
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by WHAT »

The 2015 State meet will be held at Seabury Hall on Maui. Saturday Oct 31. any other XC news. Punahou Girls Kamehameha Boys Division 1 Defending Champs

hzy

Post by hzy »

On Maui, Baldwin boys and Maui High girls have won the first two meets. Oahu looks like a two team race between Iolani and Punahou on both the boys and girls side. Is that an accurate statement?

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

hzy wrote:On Maui, Baldwin boys and Maui High girls have won the first two meets. Oahu looks like a two team race between Iolani and Punahou on both the boys and girls side. Is that an accurate statement?
@hzy: On Oahu, what happened to Kamehameha on the boys' side?