cross country

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
hzy
High-quality H20 provider

Re: cross country

Post by hzy »

Not sure. I'm on Maui so I'm guessing at what's going on on Oahu. They had a few guys graduate from last year, but they always restock so we will see how things play out.

whoewa70
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by whoewa70 »

On Oahu the boys side seems like Punahou and Iolani. Kamehameha has Kaeo Kruse but their other runners are further back diminishing team scoring. Girls side seems the same with Punahou and Iolani. OIA has Mililani but depends on how 3-5 run. Kaiser lost the twins and Lisa hasn't seemed herself during most of the season. OIA starts Divisional Championships tomorrow with the ILH running back to back meets at Kapolei District Park.

hzy

Post by hzy »

Iolani girls look pretty solid to take second (I don't think anyone can beat Punahou). Mililani and Maui High might have a shot to give Iolani a run for the second trophy.

teretere
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by teretere »

New XC parent here.
Can anyone explain how kids qualify for the XC championships?
Is it an individual thing? Or a team thing?
(have not been able to find answer by googling.)

Thank you. Appreciate any insight/help. :)

hzy

Post by hzy »

It is all decided in the league championship meets. First the kid has to be entered into the league championship meet by their coach, then to qualify for states they have to place high enough individually or their team has to do well enough.

teretere
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by teretere »

Thank you hzy.

So for JV Boys, when you are talking about the "League Championships"--that is the meet at WAIALUA NEXT week.

And it is both Individual & as a Team? So even if you are the slowest on the team (but #7), you will be running?

But actually, do the JV Boys run for States? Or is it just Varsity?

The meet YESTERDAY (10/10/15, at CORP) the "Divisional Championships", did that have anything to do with going to Waialua next week?

Thank you!

hzy

Post by hzy »

Only varsity for states, only OIA race that matters for states is the OIA champs.

hzy

Post by hzy »

Any info on why the times were so much slower at CORP this past weekend, compared to the times at the Kaiser Invite?

teretere
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by teretere »

So you don't have to "qualify" for the OIA Championship race, your coach just has to enter you?

So all these races leading up to the OIA Champs are just like "scrimmages" or "pre-season" would be for other sports?

----
I don't know why the times were slower this weekend compared to Kaiser Invit the other weekend. The course was different & went along the road through the park more (the Kaiser one went lower, along the flat part of the field)...
-----

Thanks for explaining things to me, hzy.

whoewa70
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by whoewa70 »

Heard that the course used at CORP was a little short for Kaiser Invite. Not sure but just what I heard from some OIA coaches. For Divisionals at CORP the course went back to the previously measured one used last year for OIA Champs and HHSAA Champs.

Teretere for States qualifying it all depends on the league you are in. For OIA here is how it breaks down:
OIA State Qualifying
Top Two Teams / Six Runners Per Team
Girls: 1 to 64 Place Finishers
Boys: 1 to 64 Place Finishers

To be completely safe in the OIA you have to place 62nd to be sure you wouldn't get "bumped."

HHSAA TOURNAMENT REPRESENTATION
LEAGUE/BOYS/GIRLS
OIA/64/64; ILH/49/49;BIIF/41/41; MIL/32/32; KIF/14/14
TOTAL/200/200 as of 9/29/15

hzy

Post by hzy »

Thanks Whoeva!