OIA Red Division Playoffs

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
rrforlifebaby
Play Maker
Play Maker

Re: OIA Red Division Playoffs

Post by rrforlifebaby »

bandits1 wrote:Just pointing out that when guys debate about which conference is the dominant one, they almost always only use the decades which help their argument and completely ignore all the rest. The only true and fair way is go back to the beginning and count 'em all up. Simple. Kahuku won the OIA title in 2011 and looks like the favorite to win again this year, so a good start to the '01s for the East. In the '00s the East won 8 of 10. In the 90s the East won 6 of 10. In the '80s the West won 9 of 10. In the '70s the West won 8 of 10. In the '60s the West won 6 of 10. In the '50s the West won 8 of 10. And in the '40s the West won 5 of 9(no title awarded in '42 due to WWII).

Now I don't know how many or which schools were actually playing football in the '40s/'50s/'60s, but the west side was still the west side and the east side was still the east side, and that's all that matters in this debate.
Everything is cyclical. eventually, the west side will start to win their fair share of titles. all that matters is this year. no doubt, from top to bottom, the west is a deeper conference. but, until they're knocked off, Kahuku is still king of the hill.

Kahuku - Waianae is always a good physical game. that D lineman is an absolute beast! the team that deserves to win, will win.
Good luck to all the boys!!!
GO BIG RED!!!

95boyz
High-quality H20 provider

Post by 95boyz »

I don't think the Kahuku/Waianae game is gonna be close at all. Kahuku has had Waianae's number for the past few years and this years team is just as good (I'll go as far as to say BETTER) than the Kahuku teams of the past few years. I got Kahuku routing Waianae on this one.

And this is where you all say "That's why we play the game" and "You never know" .. haha
GO BIG RED WARRIORZ!!!

helflyer
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by helflyer »

speed will determine this game....I haven't seen Waianae this year but if they can keep the tempo up all four quarters, they may have a chance. I dont' think they can. They'll keep it close in the first quarter but I think they'll run out of gas in the third quarter...just a prediction but as you know, I haven't seen Waianae this year...I could be wrong!

GBR

JLSL
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by JLSL »

wartime wrote:Farrington and Kahuku have always been in a class of their own. As Waianae takes on Kahuku, hopefully the coaches really find some kind of way to create a game plan that would make this a competitive game. Defensively, Tuimasealii and company will be battle tested for sure and he probably knows that this is a great game to really make an impact as far as his recruiting goes. Wa'a and his boys going be waiting for this freak of nature. As in the past, we get better and better as the season goes and HOPEFULLY things go well for da boys from da west side.
IMO, it's just Kahuku, not Farrington.

mycall

Post by mycall »

Sadly my Marauders lost another heartbreaker, just what if if Pakau was healthy. No regrets though, Waipahu definetly showed that they can hang in the Red and I hope they're finally here to stay instead of tipsy turving between D1 and D2. Really encouraging that QB Kai Mercado-Aiona and Safety Solomon Matautia are just sophmores.

mycall

Post by mycall »

As for this weeks games, the OIA "Big 3" should win but I'm hoping (very slim chance) for some upsets. They all look like they all could be close, but at the same time can be decisive victories.

Leilehua-Moanalua should be a real good one and whoever can control TOP should come out on top. Moanalua showed some balance against Waipahu and Lambert lining up in Wildcat can throw of some defenses.

kanakattack
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by kanakattack »

jaySend wrote:
kanakattack wrote:Looks like the West is tougher than the east from top to bottom.
East vs West this year:
Kaimuki lost 53-6 to Aiea, battle of last place teams
Castle lost 32-6 to Aiea and 30-0 to Kapolei
McKinley lost 21-0 to Kapolei and 35-0 to Campbell
Kailua lost 13-7 to Campbell and are losing 22-0 to Waianae at the half
Moanalua lost 31-21 to Mililan, 26-17 to Waianae and barely beat the last place playoff team in Waipahu
Farrington beat Waianae 37-23
West is 9-2 straight up this year vs the east.

west may be 9-2 over the east this season. but the east is 9-2 over the west in oia titles the past 11 years. no matter how you start, its how you finish.
to make a general statement that the west is a TOUGHER conference is just like saying the east has been the BEST conference over the past 11 years.

i think more safe for say that the east get more sh!!!ty teams then the west. lol

ps. if moanalua beat leilehua next week and kahuk/far/mill make it too, that means east will have 3 left standing and west only 1.
once again, its not how you start, its how you finish.
I feel vindicated after last night's results. It proves the west is stronger than the east. Not better yet, but overall stronger and gaining on the east.

Waianae had Kahuku on the ropes, and Kahuku had to come back at the last minute to escape with a close win, their closest win of the season.

Kapolei went toe-to-toe with Farrington and gave them all they could hande with the score tied 10-10 after three quarters. Farrington had to come back in the 4th quarter to escape with a close win, one of their closest wins of the season against a team that everyone thought would crush.

Moanalua got smashed by Leilehua. They are the east's third best team and they got hammered by Leilehua, Mililani and Waianae, and barely hung on to beat the last place west team, Waipahu, who were without star receiver Dylan Pakau.

The west is better from top to bottom right now, than the east. There is no argument anymore.

politclyincrekt
Play Maker
Play Maker
NFL: Chicago Bears

Post by politclyincrekt »

The West has more parity between teams. The difference between the best and worst teams in the West isn't as large as the difference between the East teams (performance differences between Mililani and Aiea are much smaller than between Kahuku and Kaimuki). The bottom of the West can easily defeat the bottom and middle of the East, but the top in the West cannot beat the top in the East.

jaySend
Starter
Starter

Post by jaySend »

kanakattack wrote:
I feel vindicated after last night's results. It proves the west is stronger than the east. Not better yet, but overall stronger and gaining on the east.

Waianae had Kahuku on the ropes, and Kahuku had to come back at the last minute to escape with a close win, their closest win of the season.

Kapolei went toe-to-toe with Farrington and gave them all they could hande with the score tied 10-10 after three quarters. Farrington had to come back in the 4th quarter to escape with a close win, one of their closest wins of the season against a team that everyone thought would crush.

Moanalua got smashed by Leilehua. They are the east's third best team and they got hammered by Leilehua, Mililani and Waianae, and barely hung on to beat the last place west team, Waipahu, who were without star receiver Dylan Pakau.

The west is better from top to bottom right now, than the east. There is no argument anymore.

dont call it a comeback, we been there for years!

its a disadvantage for kahuku playing in the east because alot of the cupcake teams offer no competition to prepare us for the playoffs. our starters barely play half the game and when we get put to the test (off a bye week) like last night its pretty tough physically. but mentally the team stood in there.

still going on about the east vs west. you can win all the playoff games you want but until you hold up the trophy (aka win 1st place) there is no argument.
last year farrin and kahu played eachother for the oia title so the east was a better conference last year.

this year its two east and two west teams left standing. who will be playing for the title? If a west team wins the oia title then cool they are the better conference in 2012 but looking back at the turn of the century, the east has 11 of the 12 titles, that sounds like a dominating conference to me.

auffrey1979

Post by auffrey1979 »

The way Kahuku celebrated touchdowns and big plays you'd think they never learn humility. Show some class and stop showboating! We need more Walter Paytons, who'd not showboat and just give the ball to the ref, and not Kahuku players. I cannot blame Kahuku for wanting to fire Reggie all those years back since he never teach them humility!

helflyer
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by helflyer »

come on....you sound like obama's campaign after his first debate...

auffrey1979

Post by auffrey1979 »

Cuz I tell it like it is, hellflyer. DUH.

wartime
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by wartime »

That was a great game, no matter what. I'm so proud of what Waianae did last night and they put it all on the line. In the heat of this game, I think it's always a given you gonna have teams that celebrate. Waianae had its share and Kahuku did also. Some of the things people were saying in the stands though, man. hahahaha. For myself, and a lot you out here, we really like the players that make plays and make it look like they've done it way too many times, week after week with less or without the excessive celebrations.

Turnovers hurt both sides but you have to play until the clock hits zero. It's always the 1 or 2 plays that are always costly but what can you do. Both defenses did awesome and Tulimasealii was a beast as always. Gotta work on being more consistent on Offense but I really think Kahuku should win it all.

helflyer
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by helflyer »

auff...legend in his own mine!!!

soleu
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by soleu »

soleu wrote: Campbell over McKinley - McKinley is better than what people give them credit for. Beware for the Tuitele-Iafeta kid. He's a huge playmaker on both sides of the ball. Still though, I don't see them outscoring the Sabers.
Kapolei over Castle - Kapolei is the only team that I haven't seen in person play but it's Castle.
Moanalua over Waipahu - Saw that Mililani no huddle eat these guys up last week. Moanalua doesn't do it as well as Morikawa and Co. but they should do it well enough to throw off that Marauder secondary.
Waianae over Kailua - I think Kailua holds it close like they did Farrington but once again, they'll wear out in the end because lack of numbers

Kahuku def. Waianae
Leilehua def. Moanalua
Farrington def. Kapolei
Mililani def. Campbell
Not bad 8-0

Mililani def Farrington
Kahuku def Leilehua