Ryder Kuhns, QB, Saint Louis 2015

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
saynotomercs
Play Maker
Play Maker
Posts: 985
Joined: Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:14 pm

Ryder Kuhns, QB, Saint Louis 2015

Postby saynotomercs » Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:34 pm

The third-string sophomore QB had a promising debut against Farrington in Saint Louis' loss. He displayed both poise and talent, if not always tactical acumen. Let's remember that this guy receives hardly any live "elevens" snaps in practice. Why did the coaches pull Robert Faleafine after a couple of drives going 1/2 and a touchdown for a first-year player who never gets any reps at all?

My theory is that the coaches know Kuhns is a special talent. They didn't want to lose the Farrington game by 30 points so they put their most gifted QB in the game. But for reasons unknown (lack of work ethic on behalf of Kuhns has been cited as an example on this board) Kuhns has been put in the incubator even though he can physically outperform the two ahead of him on the depth chart.

I understand that one season at the helm is a big experience advantage for Mook-Garcia, but I would argue that the talent advantage for Kuhns is exponentially larger. While Jeremy Higgins was an FBS recruit in front of a more talented Marcus Mariota, Kawai Mook-Garcia doesn't even look like a DII-caliber recruit.

The only scholastic teams with third-stringers better than Ryder Kuhns play in the Football Bowl Subdivison. Not handing the keys over to Kuhns would be sacrificing the success of the team, in my opinion.
User avatar
rednblue
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench
Posts: 384
Joined: Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:51 am
Location: Hawaii
Contact:

Re: Ryder Kuhns, QB, Saint Louis 2015

Postby rednblue » Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:34 pm

saynotomercs wrote:The third-string sophomore QB had a promising debut against Farrington in Saint Louis' loss. He displayed both poise and talent, if not always tactical acumen. Let's remember that this guy receives hardly any live "elevens" snaps in practice. Why did the coaches pull Robert Faleafine after a couple of drives going 1/2 and a touchdown for a first-year player who never gets any reps at all?

My theory is that the coaches know Kuhns is a special talent. They didn't want to lose the Farrington game by 30 points so they put their most gifted QB in the game. But for reasons unknown (lack of work ethic on behalf of Kuhns has been cited as an example on this board) Kuhns has been put in the incubator even though he can physically outperform the two ahead of him on the depth chart.

I understand that one season at the helm is a big experience advantage for Mook-Garcia, but I would argue that the talent advantage for Kuhns is exponentially larger. While Jeremy Higgins was an FBS recruit in front of a more talented Marcus Mariota, Kawai Mook-Garcia doesn't even look like a DII-caliber recruit.

The only scholastic teams with third-stringers better than Ryder Kuhns play in the Football Bowl Subdivison. Not handing the keys over to Kuhns would be sacrificing the success of the team, in my opinion.


Robert Faleafine didn't look comfortable against the Govs, with the exception of the TD toss to Tabuyo. There were several botched snaps from center, as well as two fumbles during handoffs to Adam Noga.

While I agree with you that Ryder Kuhns looks like the QB of the future (a special one at that), KMG has the game experience and the time running the system. He may not turn out to be an all ILH QB, but he might be the guy the coaching staff feels comfortable with in spreading the ball out and managing the game.

Kuhns did have mistakes with several delay of game penalties and the two interceptions. But no doubt he's the diamond of the bunch, just rough around the edges at the moment. But I feel the same way, would love to see what the kid can do given the reps and game experience, live arm and running ability at QB did us wonders in '10.
Last edited by rednblue on Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
saynotomercs
Play Maker
Play Maker
Posts: 985
Joined: Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:14 pm

Re: Ryder Kuhns, QB, Saint Louis 2015

Postby saynotomercs » Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:54 pm

rednblue wrote:
saynotomercs wrote:The third-string sophomore QB had a promising debut against Farrington in Saint Louis' loss. He displayed both poise and talent, if not always tactical acumen. Let's remember that this guy receives hardly any live "elevens" snaps in practice. Why did the coaches pull Robert Faleafine after a couple of drives going 1/2 and a touchdown for a first-year player who never gets any reps at all?

My theory is that the coaches know Kuhns is a special talent. They didn't want to lose the Farrington game by 30 points so they put their most gifted QB in the game. But for reasons unknown (lack of work ethic on behalf of Kuhns has been cited as an example on this board) Kuhns has been put in the incubator even though he can physically outperform the two ahead of him on the depth chart.

I understand that one season at the helm is a big experience advantage for Mook-Garcia, but I would argue that the talent advantage for Kuhns is exponentially larger. While Jeremy Higgins was an FBS recruit in front of a more talented Marcus Mariota, Kawai Mook-Garcia doesn't even look like a DII-caliber recruit.

The only scholastic teams with third-stringers better than Ryder Kuhns play in the Football Bowl Subdivison. Not handing the keys over to Kuhns would be sacrificing the success of the team, in my opinion.


Robert Faleafine didn't look comfortable against the Govs, with the exception of the TD toss to Tabuyo. There were several botched snaps from center, as well as two fumbles during handoffs to Adam Noga.

While I agree with you that Ryder Kuhns looks like the QB of the future (a special one at that), KMG has the game experience and the time running the system. He may not turn out to be an all ILH QB, but he might be the guy the coaching staff feels comfortable with in spreading the ball out and managing the game.

Kuhns did have mistakes with several delay of game penalties and the interception. But no doubt he's the diamond of the bunch, just rough around the edges at the moment. But I feel the same way, would love to see what the kid can do given the reps and game experience, live arm and running ability at QB did us wonders in '10.


I'm hoping for improvements from KMG. Good play- no matter from whom- is what I'm looking for. Do you get the impression, redandblue, that over the last three seasons Saint Louis hasn't done all it can to win games? Tabuyo only became the primary go-to guy last year AFTER Aaron Goo got hurt. And even after this happened, they let Tabuyo sit entire games out on the perimeter where KMG couldn't get him the ball. From a talent standpoint (SEC WR), this is unfathomable.

This season, Saint Louis still has a talented offensive line, one of the best (if not the best) WR duos in team history and a talented RB. They have the firepower to be special. Hopefully the QB play is competent this season.
User avatar
HRC Paul
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
Posts: 3306
Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2006 11:36 pm
Location: Hawaii

Re: Ryder Kuhns, QB, Saint Louis 2015

Postby HRC Paul » Tue Aug 21, 2012 4:17 am

Different head coach, but I recall hearing rave reviews about Marcus Mariota at the beginning of his sophomore year, including one from then-senior WR Billy Ray Stutzmann. But he remained the backup all season long.
User avatar
rednblue
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench
Posts: 384
Joined: Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:51 am
Location: Hawaii
Contact:

Re: Ryder Kuhns, QB, Saint Louis 2015

Postby rednblue » Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:07 am

The inconsistency has been at head coach and the brand of football they want to bring to the field. There really hasn't been a solid identity since Delbert Tengan left after the 2007 season. He brought discipline and hard nosed defense every season.

As far as doing all they can to win games, I'm sure that's not the problem. I don't think the coaching staff would hold back when the game is on the line, especially during the ILH season. With that said, IMO the versatility of the offense depends on the QB and Oline (hard to remember a season we were short on receivers/backs). We'll see how KMG performs against Baldwin, but I think the coaches will play whoever gives the team the best chance of winning.
saynotomercs
Play Maker
Play Maker
Posts: 985
Joined: Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:14 pm

Re: Ryder Kuhns, QB, Saint Louis 2015

Postby saynotomercs » Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:08 am

HRC Paul wrote:Different head coach, but I recall hearing rave reviews about Marcus Mariota at the beginning of his sophomore year, including one from then-senior WR Billy Ray Stutzmann. But he remained the backup all season long.


The difference is that Jeremy Higgins as a Junior was also capable of compiling one of the greatest statistical seasons in ILH history. We'll see with KMG, but anything short of an ILH second-team effort would be a disappointment with his supporting cast. Saint Louis had one of the best offensive lines in school history last season and an SEC-bound WR and KMG had the worst QB campaign since probably Kelika Higa, who ended up losing his job in-season to then-sophomore Bobby George.
SM96753
All-conference
All-conference
Posts: 1092
Joined: Fri Oct 15, 2004 12:03 am

Re: Ryder Kuhns, QB, Saint Louis 2015

Postby SM96753 » Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:46 pm

What's Kuhns numbers? Specifically, how tall is he?
kapakahi
Hall of famer
Hall of famer
Posts: 2712
Joined: Sat Apr 08, 2006 10:22 pm
Location: formerly So. Cal. (Long Beach, South Bay & the OC); relocated back to Honolulu

Re: Ryder Kuhns, QB, Saint Louis 2015

Postby kapakahi » Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:51 pm

Kuhns listed at 6'1", 180.
saynotomercs
Play Maker
Play Maker
Posts: 985
Joined: Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:14 pm

Re: Ryder Kuhns, QB, Saint Louis 2015

Postby saynotomercs » Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:58 pm

kapakahi wrote:Kuhns listed at 6'1", 180.


I would say that's about right. Could be 6'0".

Athletic, quick release and a natural calm in the pocket. Could stand to improve his arm strength and he can float his passes at times.
Squid Diver
High-quality H20 provider
High-quality H20 provider
Posts: 115
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:44 am

Re: Ryder Kuhns, QB, Saint Louis 2015

Postby Squid Diver » Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:22 am

He is 6'2". He has sprouted since the summer.
User avatar
HRC Paul
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
Posts: 3306
Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2006 11:36 pm
Location: Hawaii

Re: Ryder Kuhns, QB, Saint Louis 2015

Postby HRC Paul » Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:17 pm

First time I saw him this fall, I thought he was 6-3. Had to check the roster.

Some kids grow so fast. I saw a kid I used to coach (basketball) last winter and he was 6-1. By June or July, he was 6-3 or 6-4. Saw him last week. He's 6-5. Just a sophomore. Craaaazy.

I always wanted to be 6-7 like the Iceman. Nevah happen...

Return to “High School Sports”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Hilorains and 50 guests