Punahou taking players from other ILH teams

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
huki-lau-lau
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Re: Punahou taking players from other ILH teams

Post by huki-lau-lau »

saynotomercs wrote: Saint Louis cannot afford to let Punahou become better than them in both academics and football. Showcasing seniors is not more important than winning. Winning helps everything including revenue
dasss what im talking about and das why im on here all the time complaining and making known the exodus of players from kahuku year in and year out, whether its on their own merit or chasing that dangling carrot that the private schools use to lure them away.....winning football at kahuku helps the community, helps morale, helps the school and the ripple effect is widespread with in our community. thats what football does to any institution at any level, its a billion dollar industry and winning helps you tap into those dollaahhss in various ways!!!
-------------------

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

gopunahou wrote:
saynotomercs wrote:gopunahou, while we both acknowledge that Iolani recruits to its D-2 program, Punahou's overall impact on talent distribution throughout the entire state is much greater. We're almost talking about apples and oranges here.

I don't think what Punahou is doing is "wrong"; I'm just alarmed at the attitude at Saint Louis right now. Here is a school that competes in the same league as you that is trying to intentionally or unintentionally diminish one of your most important recruiting tools. Saint Louis' market is Catholics, average students and athletes. In an environment with more competitive academic schools like Iolani and Punahou and a cheaper and more resource-laden school like Kamehameha, Saint Louis needs to do a better job defending its turf. And it starts on the field. Saint Louis cannot afford to let Punahou become better than them in both academics and football. Showcasing seniors is not more important than winning. Winning helps everything.

punstop, thanks for your observations. The after-admission scholarship method may in fact be the case most of the time, but I'm pretty sure there are a few students who were offered enticing financial packages before the first semester. This is not suggesting that Saint Louis actively scopes out youth leagues, which I don't think they do.
Thanks. I am just hoping that this doesn't turn into a double standard. People seem to like to let others take dumps on Punahou while those same people equate trashing Iolani to kicking a puppy. The ironic thing about all of this is is that St. Louis is the school that made other ILH schools feel the need to go after aspiring players. And can you blame us for trying to sell our program? We weren't going to settle for being the whipping boy of St. Louis and Kamehameha, which is where we started when the ILH went divisional.
I'm not responding out of anger at all, but rather out of amusement. You mention that people are taking dumps on Punahou. Obviously I can't speak for everyone, but I suspect that the key to what seems to be rather widespread resentment of Punahou is that Punahou seems to do most of the winning in many sports, not just football. In that sense, it's Punahou that's taking dumps on other schools, and I'm not talking only about ILH schools. In state tourneys, it's often Punahou that's taking dumps on non-ILH schools as well. As you can see, the tone of this post isn't one of anger, but amusement. In sports--and this is a sports forum--half the time it's Punahou that's taking dumps on other schools. Since this particular thread is about football, ask all the other ILH schools--D1 and D2--which school did the dumping in football, and which schools got dumped on. Ask those same schools about last year, too. It didn't happen only this year.
Last edited by HS Football Fanatic on Wed Nov 19, 2014 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fanoffb
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by fanoffb »

huki-lau-lau wrote:
saynotomercs wrote: Saint Louis cannot afford to let Punahou become better than them in both academics and football. Showcasing seniors is not more important than winning. Winning helps everything including revenue
dasss what im talking about and das why im on here all the time complaining and making known the exodus of players from kahuku year in and year out, whether its on their own merit or chasing that dangling carrot that the private schools use to lure them away.....winning football at kahuku helps the community, helps morale, helps the school and the ripple effect is widespread with in our community. thats what football does to any institution at any level, its a billion dollar industry and winning helps you tap into those dollaahhss in various ways!!!
I agree with you that football is a billion dollar industry and having a successful team definitely can help community morale. However I would say that having a successful academic program that leads to graduates achieving strong careers with the mindset that they will give back to their communities is probably more helpful. Whether a student from the North Shore graduates from Kahuku, Punahou, St. Louis, Sacred Hearts, or wherever, I hope that they will make the most of their academic experiences and find ways to support the community they come from. This might mean mentoring, providing an internship or training, or just being a positive role model. Athletics is certainly one way to accomplish this, but it is not the only way. I hope all the students from every school understand that just because they don't play football, it doesn't mean that they are not valued or potentially contributing members of the community.

Birdman316
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by Birdman316 »

Guys, this isn't as big of a travesty as Iolani recruiting, taking players from other teams, and playing D2. I mean, why have D2 if Iolani continues their egotistical approach of aspiring FB players?

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

bow89 wrote:Contrary to Saynotomercs opinion, I believe that it is wrong for ILH teams to recruit players from other teams once they enter H.S. Recruit kids all you want in middle school, but once a student participates in athletics for another ILH school, he should be hands off. The ILH should adopt the rule that many conferences use for college athletics. If you are transferring within conference, you should sit out 2 years. If Punahou is truly interested in these students for their academic ability, then they should have no problem waiting 2 years for a student to be eligible.
I suspect that perhaps we can all agree that academics are one thing, but sports are another; especially when you're talking about a major sport like football. Yes, sports are part of the overall educational experience in high school. But football, that's the biggest high-school sport in the US, and each school's alumni are all over it. I strongly suspect that when it comes to football, most alumni want their alma mater to win, and are somewhat less concerned about the players' academic abilities.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

gopunahou wrote:Sorry to go back to Saynotomercs' comment, but St. Louis will always remain a place where kids aspire to play. That's what happens when you dominate the ILH and state for 20 years. I've got a better chance of sleeping with a model than St. Louis does of being an unattractive place for aspiring football players to play.
I would beg to differ, if I may. With football players, it's all about the "flavor of the month," so to speak. I suspect that once St Louis' 13-year dynasty ended (it wasn't 20 years), players started looking at other schools. For example: Punahou in the ILH, or Mililani in the OIA. Now that Cal Lee is back at St Louis, players might now start looking at St Louis again, especially given the way they almost beat Punahou despite having a number of starters out due to injury. The point being, St Louis will remain a school where kids aspire to play, only as long as they are winning.
Last edited by HS Football Fanatic on Wed Nov 19, 2014 4:40 pm, edited 3 times in total.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

BMWGuy wrote:
HS Football Fanatic wrote:
gopunahou wrote:Sorry to go back to Saynotomercs' comment, but St. Louis will always remain a place where kids aspire to play. That's what happens when you dominate the ILH and state for 20 years. I've got a better chance of sleeping with a model than St. Louis does of being an unattractive place for aspiring football players to play.
I would beg to differ, if I may. With football players, it's all about the "flavor of the month," so to speak. I suspect that once St Louis' 13-year dynasty ended (it wasn't 20 years), players started looking at schools. For example: Punahou in the ILH, or Mililani in the OIA. Now that Cal Lee is back at St Louis, players might now start looking at St Louis again, especially given the way they almost beat Punahou despite having a number of starters out due to injury. The point being, St Louis will remain a school where kids aspire to play only as long as they are winning.
As long as they don't play football at Iolani, I'm cool.
(Sorry about the typos; I cleaned them all up, if you read my post again).

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

I would beg to differ, if I may. With football players, it's all about the "flavor of the month," so to speak. I suspect that once St Louis' 13-year dynasty ended (it wasn't 20 years), players started looking at other schools. For example: Punahou in the ILH, or Mililani in the OIA. Now that Cal Lee is back at St Louis, players might now start looking at St Louis again, especially given the way they almost beat Punahou despite having a number of starters out due to injury. The point being, St Louis will remain a school where kids aspire to play, only as long as they are winning.
(That's the corrected version).

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Dablitzah wrote:
puns_STOPrecruiting wrote:It would be nice if the school was looking at them for schooling, but they are not. Strickly sports, the students they have chosen are not the best academics.
=; Cleary this is not an academic move based on the list. I've heard there are a few that struggle to meet the minimum requirements at SL. I hope the "package" they're being offered includes intensive tutoring because a couple will have an even more difficult time with their grades. Punahou would be taking a risk recruiting someone who turns out academically ineligible.
I think if we were to be truly honest about it, unless that talented kid is your kid, you might be inclined to resent it if his or her parents sent him or her to a school that's competing with your alma mater, whether it be in football, basketball, band (there's the Parade of Bands competition), or whatever. I mean, sure, you understand why his or her parents sent him or her to whichever school, but that doesn't necessarily mean that you like it. For example, look at all the players on Punahou's football team who are from Kahuku's district. If you're a Kahuku alumnus, OK, perhaps you understand why those players' parents sent them to Punahou: It's a private school, it has more prestige, etc. But, do you really like the idea of it, especially now that they played against your alma mater and eliminated it from the state tourney? I don't think so. If I were a Kahuku alumnus, I'd resent it. Am I correct about this? I'm not addressing you personally, Dablitzah; I feel the same as you do. I guess I'm addressing the guys who support sending kids to "wherever the grass is greener," leaving their last school in the lurch.

whatdoesthefoxsay
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by whatdoesthefoxsay »

puns_STOPrecruiting wrote:My son came home from school to telling me Punahou offered a full scholarship to 5 of our best freshmen. This isn't right. what happen to the integrity between the teams of the ILH. Punahou so disrespectful.
I hope that your son's school--and other schools--will use Punahou's disrespect as motivation to beat them, if they should meet. (I'm assuming your son's school is in the OIA?)

I was going to join this conversation until I saw the original post on the thread was three years ago and the thread had been dead since Nov. 2011. Apparently this is still a sore topic.

twnoexcuses
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by twnoexcuses »

Is there a reason why Punahou does not have ALL the players on every year's all state team?

Assuming the recruiting people speak of were going on in the manner and at the levels accused, shouldn't Punahou have all the good players, except the odd few who don't like having their backpacks touched, or maintain some sort of undying loyalty to their neighborhood schools.

According to the legend, money is no object as all good Punahou football players are on scholarship, the players need not be competent students (since they are put in Some sort of easy educational "track" for athletes), and Punahou covers all pop warner, PAL, and other kiddie football and basketball leagues statewide.

What I don't understand is why we don't see more Punahou scollie athletes from sports hotbeds like Texas, Florida, and Pennsylvania.

But, if the legends are true, why isn't the Punahou starting 22 all on the all state team every year, with the second and even third strings also members or honorable mentions on that list???? It doesn't make sense. How can other schools field competitive teams when Punahou does what it supposedly does?

MauiGuy
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by MauiGuy »

If you wanna keep kids in district, coach and WIN with the kids you have. Enough with the excuses already. If everyone likes a winner, the good kids will stay home. Otherwise, just move on and compete.

whatdoesthefoxsay
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by whatdoesthefoxsay »

twnoexcuses wrote:Is there a reason why Punahou does not have ALL the players on every year's all state team?

Assuming the recruiting people speak of were going on in the manner and at the levels accused, shouldn't Punahou have all the good players, except the odd few who don't like having their backpacks touched, or maintain some sort of undying loyalty to their neighborhood schools.

According to the legend, money is no object as all good Punahou football players are on scholarship, the players need not be competent students (since they are put in Some sort of easy educational "track" for athletes), and Punahou covers all pop warner, PAL, and other kiddie football and basketball leagues statewide.

What I don't understand is why we don't see more Punahou scollie athletes from sports hotbeds like Texas, Florida, and Pennsylvania.

But, if the legends are true, why isn't the Punahou starting 22 all on the all state team every year, with the second and even third strings also members or honorable mentions on that list???? It doesn't make sense. How can other schools field competitive teams when Punahou does what it supposedly does?
I'm surprised that you haven't heard about Punahou's self-imposed quota on how many intelligent, high-quality athletes it recruits/accepts/drags unwillingly from the athletes' neighborhoods. Punahou wants to keep things competitive enough with its opponents to allow them a sporting chance to win. Punahou loses just enough games--in a wide variety of sports, by the way--to give other schools the idea that they actually have a chance. Punahou is like the king who eats a feast and allows his servants and minions just enough leftovers to keep them groveling at his feet. That's why Eric Kadaoka left after the baseball team won 7 state titles in a row, and that's why the football team will not be as strong next year (after reaching four straight state championship games), and that's why the girls' volleyball team waited until the state championship final to beat Kamehameha.

Isn't it obvious?

twnoexcuses
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by twnoexcuses »

whatdoesthefoxsay wrote:
twnoexcuses wrote:Is there a reason why Punahou does not have ALL the players on every year's all state team?

I'm surprised that you haven't heard about Punahou's self-imposed quota on how many intelligent, high-quality athletes it recruits/accepts/drags unwillingly from the athletes' neighborhoods. Punahou wants to keep things competitive enough with its opponents to allow them a sporting chance to win. Punahou loses just enough games--in a wide variety of sports, by the way--to give other schools the idea that they actually have a chance. Punahou is like the king who eats a feast and allows his servants and minions just enough leftovers to keep them groveling at his feet. That's why Eric Kadaoka left after the baseball team won 7 state titles in a row, and that's why the football team will not be as strong next year (after reaching four straight state championship games), and that's why the girls' volleyball team waited until the state championship final to beat Kamehameha.

Isn't it obvious?
Punahou is selective about who it takes???? And thinks about competition issues???

I don't buy it.

Something is wrong. Especially when you point out the baseball and volleyball angles.

Either Punahou has no idea what it is doing with all its riches, and supposed lack of ethics, or, well, maybe the legends are myths.

Because if the legends (or myths) were true, Punahou can do whatver it wants whenever it wants, and always dominate in everything.

My question is, how in the world did Punahou NOT get Mariota and Koehler, and Tabuyo and Tafua and Milton and Malepeai, and Tagaviloa of past and present. Doesn't make sense.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

whatdoesthefoxsay wrote:

Isn't it obvious?
I doubt that claim about Punahou's girls' volleyball team. Kamehameha beat them straight-up, three times straight, during the regular season. Punahou didn't throw any of those first three matches. In the state final, Kamehameha choked.
Last edited by HS Football Fanatic on Thu Nov 20, 2014 3:29 pm, edited 3 times in total.