Punahou taking players from other ILH teams

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
Martin
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Re: Punahou taking players from other ILH teams

Post by Martin »

*Frozen3 wrote:
Martin wrote:
gridiron22 wrote:Can anybody fill me in on why Punahou has had more polynesians from Kahuku on their team then from any other part of the island?
Exactly why I explain that Kahuku has been the most successful football team this century. The kids are brought up to idolize the Red Raiders players because their dads,uncles.brothers and cousins have been playing there for generations. These kids are physically superior and have a high football IQ. They are one big family. There are Polynesians from Kalihi and such, but the North Shore kids have religious and family values. Housing kids tend to have some issues,such as crime and gangs. When the SEC realize they could not have championship teams without the black athletes they changed. Watch all the SEC games where all the cheerleaders and sold out crowds are white and 90 percent of the players on the field is black.

Do not categorize all Polynesian Housing Kids from Kalihi as having issues with crime and gangs. There are alot of great families with great values and religious backgrounds as well. You must not be from the area so, do not assume..
I was raised at 1475 Linapuni St. Building B. Any housing kid can tell you where that's at. When I say issues, I mean bad influence from gangs. The best football players never made it out. The best athletes never made it out. Yes, they are good families, all those families that stood behind their sons. Sons that went to St Louis or Punahou and played in the NFL. But the fact is Kalihi could have more all star talent, but you never heard from them because they got sucked in by the projects. Sorry if I was misunderstood or came across rough, but it is what it is.

locogrown808
High-quality H20 provider
High-quality H20 provider

Post by locogrown808 »

oh this topic is an interesting one..first off, i coach for an ILH team and have seen a bunch of kids from other talented schools end up at the so-called "big" schools such as punahou, st louis and kamehameha. first off, i dont usually put kamehameha in this discussion simply based on the fact that their wait list extends way into high school, sometimes going so far as to accepting high school sophomores into their schools.
as far as the recruiting within ILH is happening especially among bigger schools, that is definitely alive and well. one school i can say is recruiting high school freshmen is St. Louis. and it really isnt the coaching staff (although at times they are present) so much as the AD for st louis is waiting to talk to our kids at the goalposts upon the conclusion of our games this season. the same was done by st. francis. now i know they arent a big team, but anyone within the know on the intermediate level can tell you that st francis is building a juggernaut (maybe with a few ethical questions..but thats for another topic). they are definitely recruiting and doing their best to contact other ILH athletes.
and one last thing. punahou did not actively recruit upon the conclusion of our game..however, they did successfully pull one of our freshmen players to go to their school this year and the kid is going to be good in the future
i mean im not really mad..i take it as a sign of disrespect, and every time you see an opposing coach or AD come up to one of your kids you hope and pray that the kid chooses to stay with you. but alas, that is the life of the smaller ILH schools, just coach with what you got and hope for the best

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

locogrown808 wrote:oh this topic is an interesting one..first off, i coach for an ILH team and have seen a bunch of kids from other talented schools end up at the so-called "big" schools such as punahou, st louis and kamehameha. first off, i dont usually put kamehameha in this discussion simply based on the fact that their wait list extends way into high school, sometimes going so far as to accepting high school sophomores into their schools.
as far as the recruiting within ILH is happening especially among bigger schools, that is definitely alive and well. one school i can say is recruiting high school freshmen is St. Louis. and it really isnt the coaching staff (although at times they are present) so much as the AD for st louis is waiting to talk to our kids at the goalposts upon the conclusion of our games this season. the same was done by st. francis. now i know they arent a big team, but anyone within the know on the intermediate level can tell you that st francis is building a juggernaut (maybe with a few ethical questions..but thats for another topic). they are definitely recruiting and doing their best to contact other ILH athletes.
and one last thing. punahou did not actively recruit upon the conclusion of our game..however, they did successfully pull one of our freshmen players to go to their school this year and the kid is going to be good in the future
i mean im not really mad..i take it as a sign of disrespect, and every time you see an opposing coach or AD come up to one of your kids you hope and pray that the kid chooses to stay with you. but alas, that is the life of the smaller ILH schools, just coach with what you got and hope for the best
You mean opposing coaches or ADs approach your players despite your being within viewing distance? That's pretty bad; it really is. That takes a lot of nerve.

twnoexcuses
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by twnoexcuses »

locogrown808:

What school do you coach for?

Do you coach football for that school?

0Which St. Louis coaching staff is present when recruiting is going on?

What is the name of the St. Louis Ad who is waiting to talk to your kids at the goalposts?

Was it the St. Francis AD who was doing the same thing as St. Louis?

Who was the AD who was doing that for St. Francis?

What are the specific ethical questions surrounding St. Francis building a juggernaut?

When you say St. Francis is "definitely reccuiting" and "doing their best to contact other ILH athletes", which athletes, what kind of recruiting activity, what are the names of the St. Francis personnel doing the "recruiting" and "doing their best to contact other ILH athletes", and HOW DO YOU KNOW THIS??? Are you contacting other ILH athletes to learn this information????

Who is "your" freshman player who punahou "successfully pulled" to go to their school? Name please.

Are you saying that student was "recruitied"? Proof, please. Also, source, please.

Who are you specifically accusing of disrespect? Names, please.

Could you fill in the blanks, please? Otherwise, your allegations are bs.
HS Football Fanatic wrote:
locogrown808 wrote:oh this topic is an interesting one..first off, i coach for an ILH team and have seen a bunch of kids from other talented schools end up at the so-called "big" schools such as punahou, st louis and kamehameha. first off, i dont usually put kamehameha in this discussion simply based on the fact that their wait list extends way into high school, sometimes going so far as to accepting high school sophomores into their schools.
You mean opposing coaches or ADs approach your players despite your being within viewing distance? That's pretty bad; it really is. That takes a lot of nerve.

shooter808
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by shooter808 »

twnoexcuses wrote:locogrown808:

What school do you coach for?

Do you coach football for that school?

0Which St. Louis coaching staff is present when recruiting is going on?

What is the name of the St. Louis Ad who is waiting to talk to your kids at the goalposts?

Was it the St. Francis AD who was doing the same thing as St. Louis?

Who was the AD who was doing that for St. Francis?

What are the specific ethical questions surrounding St. Francis building a juggernaut?

When you say St. Francis is "definitely reccuiting" and "doing their best to contact other ILH athletes", which athletes, what kind of recruiting activity, what are the names of the St. Francis personnel doing the "recruiting" and "doing their best to contact other ILH athletes", and HOW DO YOU KNOW THIS??? Are you contacting other ILH athletes to learn this information????

Who is "your" freshman player who punahou "successfully pulled" to go to their school? Name please.

Are you saying that student was "recruitied"? Proof, please. Also, source, please.

Who are you specifically accusing of disrespect? Names, please.

Could you fill in the blanks, please? Otherwise, your allegations are bs.
locogrown, I think you hit a nerve with a Pun alum. recruiting happens in Hawaii. everyone has to learn to live with it. in the end, the kids are the winners.

twnoexcuses
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by twnoexcuses »

shooter808 wrote:
locogrown, I think you hit a nerve with a Pun alum. recruiting happens in Hawaii. everyone has to learn to live with it. in the end, the kids are the winners.
You had to tell a self proclaimed "coach" that? A "coach" who comes on sportshawaii to tell cryptic stories? A "coach" who wants to tell stories about people in that way? I got my problems with Pac 5, but either someone at Pac 5 has to tell a jealous parent masquerading as a Pac 5 coach to shut up, or Pac 5 has to take a look at its coaching staff. New low.

fanoffb
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by fanoffb »

I read that Kaleb Gilmore decided to transfer to Kalaheo for his senior year from Maryknoll. Of course Maryknoll has just reloaded with its off-island imports but I believe this is the 2nd straight year that a significant varsity basketball player has left Maryknoll. Anyone with more insights or just a product of individualized sentiments?

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

fanoffb wrote:I read that Kaleb Gilmore decided to transfer to Kalaheo for his senior year from Maryknoll. Of course Maryknoll has just reloaded with its off-island imports but I believe this is the 2nd straight year that a significant varsity basketball player has left Maryknoll. Anyone with more insights or just a product of individualized sentiments?
Maryknoll is a school that perplexes me when it comes to basketball. Here's a school that's too small to field its own football team, yet for over 35 years it has been producing basketball teams that often claimed D1-level state titles. This year, it looks like they might be contenders again. They blew-out Kaimuki in the McKinley pre-season tourney a day or two ago. So, if Maryknoll has lost a player to Kalaheo, it's kind of hard to feel sorry for them.

MauiSun
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by MauiSun »

Wow! St. Louis on Maui recruiting , trying to get some of the good MIL players to transfer to there school.
With so much kids on Oahu, they now have to raid the neighbor island of there best players.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

MauiSun wrote:Wow! St. Louis on Maui recruiting , trying to get some of the good MIL players to transfer to there school.
With so much kids on Oahu, they now have to raid the neighbor island of there best players.
If St Louis is doing that, that's a new low. It's bad enough that they're raiding other schools on Oahu, but to go off-island and raid, that's almost despicable.

fanoffb
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by fanoffb »

MauiSun wrote:Wow! St. Louis on Maui recruiting , trying to get some of the good MIL players to transfer to there school.
If St Louis is doing that, that's a new low. It's bad enough that they're raiding other schools on Oahu, but to go off-island and raid, that's almost despicable.
Didn't this happen with some students from Kauai last year?

gridiron22
Pine rider
Pine rider
NBA: LakersChargers
NFL: chargers

Post by gridiron22 »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: If St Louis is doing that, that's a new low. It's bad enough that they're raiding other schools on Oahu, but to go off-island and raid, that's almost despicable.
Look at the bigger picture guys...Lets say Mariota wins the heisman then goes top 5 in the draft equating to millions of dollars. He then turns around and donates $500,000 to his alma mater St. Louis. The crusaders renovate their locker room, Cal Lee gets a 10% raise.

That's why it is in the best interest for Cal Lee (St. Louis) and Kale Ane (Punahou) to recruit all the studs from around the state. Money!

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

gridiron22 wrote:
HS Football Fanatic wrote: If St Louis is doing that, that's a new low. It's bad enough that they're raiding other schools on Oahu, but to go off-island and raid, that's almost despicable.
Look at the bigger picture guys...Lets say Mariota wins the heisman then goes top 5 in the draft equating to millions of dollars. He then turns around and donates $500,000 to his alma mater St. Louis. The crusaders renovate their locker room, Cal Lee gets a 10% raise.

That's why it is in the best interest for Cal Lee (St. Louis) and Kale Ane (Punahou) to recruit all the studs from around the state. Money!
But that has a mercenary quality to it. It's bad enough that it's done on the college level. but on the high school level? That seems to cross a very bright line. Also, St Louis and Punahou might be recruiting due to financial pressure, but other schools' alumni neither care about nor appreciate that, even if it's done right here on Oahu. For example, if you're a Kahuku grad, you certainly wouldn't like the idea of St Louis or Punahou stealing Kahuku's best players, no matter what the reason. If St Louis and Punahou have financial pressure to make the investments of their wealthy alumni count, well: If you're a Kahuku grad, why should you care? As far as you're concerned, that's their problem. And, it certainly shouldn't be Kahuku's problem.

saynotomercs
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by saynotomercs »

"Stealing players" from communities?

Are you telling me that these faux-principalities (there is no sitting town government) have a proprietary right over the children who reside there?

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

saynotomercs wrote:"Stealing players" from communities?

Are you telling me that these faux-principalities (there is no sitting town government) have a proprietary right over the children who reside there?
That doesn't matter; that isn't the point. No one said St Louis or Punahou "can't" take players from any community. The point is that most of the alumni of the school that serves that community, won't like it. No one said St Louis or Punahou "can't" take players from the Kahuku / Laie community, for example. But, it's almost certain that the alumni of Kahuku High--the school that serves that community--won't like it. And can you blame them?