Is it time For H.S. Football Yet?

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
Uncle Joe
High-quality H20 provider

Is it time For H.S. Football Yet?

Post by Uncle Joe »

NBA...pau! NHL...Pau! MBL...Still going but not enough. I need FOOTBALL NOW! With the NFL lock out still lingering and UH not kicking off until 9/3 vs Colorado, that leaves high school football. Let's get started already. Wishing my beloved "Red Raider" Nation a great season.
FORE!

BigWave96744

Re: Is it time For H.S. Football Yet?

Post by BigWave96744 »

Football season is never over....
What's the outlook from the North Shore? Red Raiders on a Mission?

Uncle Joe

Post by Uncle Joe »

I'll say this much...it will be an interesting season. The varsity team has reloaded thru the jv program and will be beastly in my opinion. But we will have to wait and see how it truly turns out. Good Luck to all the teams.
FORE!

saynotomercs
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by saynotomercs »

Kahuku's back 7 will probably be the best the state has to offer. Tapusoa, Fonua, Johnson, Fiso, Ramirez all coming back.

Eastside Hooligan
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench
NBA: Boston Celtics
NFL: 49ers

Post by Eastside Hooligan »

In talking with my nephew who plays on the O-Line....... He said the O- Line is big but young with only 2 seniors. He also stated they have a new transfer quarterback from Florida ...... Moe is also a good addition to Kahuku transferring from Kaimuki.
Over all they look good but need some playing time to help fine tune and get the kinks out. They looked better last year but you never know what can happen.

Kahuku never rebuilds just reloads .................
:footballhelmet: :footballhelmet: :footballhelmet:

GOOD LUCK TO ALL.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

This is the only team that's posted an ILH schedule:
http://www.iolani.org/wn_ath_062711_jt.htm

If this is indeed the schedule, the ILH needs better people to come up with this and accommodate every team. That may be impossible to do, but I don't think this schedule does that.

And one more thing: does anyone else believe that there should be a new way of having the OIA play the ILH? For example, have the three D1 teams play OIA West teams one year and the three D2 teams play OIA East teams that same year and rotate the following year (where the ILH D1 teams play OIA East squads and D2 teams play OIA West squads)? It would free up scheduling, give us a chance to play Iolani twice again (though I doubt Coach Look would ever agree to that) and give teams a chance to play mainland squads like before. We, as well as Kamehameha, have played a bunch of mainland teams the past five years. But St. Louis hasn't played a California squad since 2002 and a mainland squad since 2005, which is a damn shame (probably because their schedules have been full). There also haven't been too many matchups between ILH schools and outer-island schools like Baldwin or Kauai. The league could use that and so could teams like Baldwin and Kauai.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

saynotomercs
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by saynotomercs »

Many local ADs don't seem very interested in organizing inter-state games.

The Iolani-Radford Father Bray match is the most compelling for that showcase in years.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

saynotomercs wrote:Many local ADs don't seem very interested in organizing inter-state games.

The Iolani-Radford Father Bray match is the most compelling for that showcase in years.
Probably because Radford is the best team they've played. Iolani has played lower-level D2 teams the past couple of years and made it look like a scrimmage. There used to be solid teams that gave Iolani a challenge in the Father Bray game. A good opponent for them would be Kailua.

My guess is that travel costs give local ADs reason to shy away from scheduling those kind of games (that may also be the reason games against mainland foes are happening less). That's too bad. More football always helps any team (besides the D2 ones who can't withstand injuries).
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

polywarrior4life
All-conference
All-conference
MLB: San Fransico Giants
NBA: Chicago Bulls
NFL: San Francisco 49ers

Post by polywarrior4life »

saynotomercs wrote:Kahuku's back 7 will probably be the best the state has to offer. Tapusoa, Fonua, Johnson, Fiso, Ramirez all coming back.

Yes indeed Kahuku always reloads with gifted an talented athletes. But they will need to come together quick due to the lost of most of there starters to graduation. Kawena, Afaga an Mason will do some damage. Its the O'line that needs to gel quick in order to open up them holes for Afaga. Levai should do well but again the receiving core needs to gel together before they can make a run at the East title again. What would be a huge help is another place kicker that pretty much saved Kahuku and took them to the State Finals in 2010. Look forward in watching new talent show case there skills from Kahuku.

The rest of the east teams should be competative. I watched Farringtons Spring Game and I was impressed with there offense. 10 starters return, there O'line is huge and I think where all sophmores last year. There QB Travis Tamapua has a good arm and has accuracy. There recieving core is pretty good. Toma Barret and Tyler Taumua both caught a pair of TDs. Travis threw for 7 TDs in total. High powered scoring machine this year for the Govs. Reminds me of Kahuku last season. Can't say the same for there Defense. Due to the loss of three Starting Linebackers, Justin Vele, Charles Tauefa, an Keke Williams, the defense needs work. I think it will come down to Kahuku an Farrington for the east title. Good rivalry! Can't wait! Exciting!
Individual commitment to a group effort - that is what makes a team work, a company work, a society work, a civilization work. VINCE LOMBARDI

Uncle Joe

Post by Uncle Joe »

tic-tock tic-tock...Game time is nearly here. Red Raider Nation rolling on 8/12 vs Waianae @ Waianae. Should be interesting.
All together now:
In old Kahuku stands our alma mater
Where the salt winds blow day after day...
FORE!

polywarrior4life
All-conference
All-conference

Uncle Joe wrote:tic-tock tic-tock...Game time is nearly here. Red Raider Nation rolling on 8/12 vs Waianae @ Waianae. Should be interesting.
All together now:
In old Kahuku stands our alma mater
Where the salt winds blow day after day...

Always good to see hard core Kahuku supporters speek out and sing parts of there alma mater. But the thingy with the salt winds, and the heat would belong too Waianae on that day. Due to the fact that Waianae's football field is right next to the ocean. Good luck to both teams and I'm sure it would be a game that people would be talking about for years to come.
Individual commitment to a group effort - that is what makes a team work, a company work, a society work, a civilization work. VINCE LOMBARDI

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

The games begin in about a month from now.....I'm starting to think about pre-season top tens for D-I and D-II!

Despite the fact that they knocked Kahuku out of a probable appearance in the D-I championship game,the OIA league office will not be ranked number one....heh,heh!

Seriously, Kahuku,the ILH Big Three,and Farrington to me form the group that the D-I champ might come from this year.

D-II,well,until someone can beat Iolani in the finals,I think I can say that Iolani will take it this year too. Please,some team out there prove me wrong!
If not,then good on Iolani.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

unpaid wrote:The games begin in about a month from now.....I'm starting to think about pre-season top tens for D-I and D-II!

Despite the fact that they knocked Kahuku out of a probable appearance in the D-I championship game,the OIA league office will not be ranked number one....heh,heh!

Seriously, Kahuku,the ILH Big Three,and Farrington to me form the group that the D-I champ might come from this year.

D-II,well,until someone can beat Iolani in the finals,I think I can say that Iolani will take it this year too. Please,some team out there prove me wrong!
If not,then good on Iolani.
I hope Farrington improves. I also wish Castle and Kailua would go D2 to even things out. Who looks like the best in the OIA West?

The only way there'll ever be balance (or barance as Kim Jong III would say in "Team America) is if Division II had teams like Castle and Kailua. Even if Waimea were as powerful as it was in the '90s and early 2000s it wouldn't be enough to take down "that team".

hawaiiBoy808

Post by hawaiiBoy808 »

Castle maybe should drop down. But definetly not Kailua there a D1 team forsure. They were young last year and ive seen them. They are gonna be good!

polywarrior4life
All-conference
All-conference

hawaiiBoy808 wrote:Castle maybe should drop down. But definetly not Kailua there a D1 team forsure. They were young last year and ive seen them. They are gonna be good!
Kailua was young at the QB spot and a few positions. Always big in size, but lost quite a few of there stud linemans an skill recievers to graduation. They should do well in this coming season. Hard luck for last years 1st round lost to Waianae. Its been a while since Kailua claimied 2nd place in the OIA East. This conning season it may be difficult for them to reclaim 1st or 2nd place due to Kahuku an Farrington. Farrington was young last year offensively, primarily on the 'O-line. They will be juniors this year and will have that 1 year experience under there belt at the varsity level. Running back Tyler Taumua, Tavale Masalosalo, Jackey Stevens, and Fano will have all the running lanes they need from a big an strong Governor 'O-line. Kailua will have to travel to Roosevelt this season to play the Govs. Kailua has not won against Farrington in at least 8 meetings at Roosevelt. So it will be a tough fought game for not only the governors, but Kailua as well. Good luck to both teams in the season.