2011 High School Cross Country

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
punahou-VPD
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Re: 2011 High School Cross Country

Post by punahou-VPD »

Student-produced coverage of the 2011 Punahou Invitational Cross Country meet on October 8:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0CFDKbmLxj0

hzy
High-quality H20 provider

Post by hzy »

I'm looking forward to seeing how the course is going to play into the results of the race Saturday. I don't think any of the Oahu schools have ran a course yet this year that is going to challenge them like Kapalua will. This is where I feel Maui and Big Island schools do have some advantage, because throughout the season they appear to race on more challenging courses. A hilly course can be a great equalizer...

kewlrunnings
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by kewlrunnings »

Someone posted about this last year so I'll keep it going:

These are the only XC runners to have earned a state medal (top 20 finish) in the state championship race every year thru the past four years (So a senior would have to place in the top 20 all four years, a junior the past three, a sophmore the past two and a freshman just this year):

Girls:

Seniors:

Mann - Pun

Juniors:

Brady - Pun
Evans - HPA

Sophmores:

Grossman - Sea
Van Pernis - HPA
Lam - Pun

Freshmen:

Smith - Sea

Boys

Seniors:

Esaki - Iol

Juniors:

Pearson - Bald

Sophmores:

None (there were two that medaled this year but didn't last year)

Freshmen:

None

OIAcoach
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by OIAcoach »

Really??? DII XC? And in the same race as DI? Can someone explain to me why this is a good idea?

Lefty_VI
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by Lefty_VI »

I think it could work on the team level but as individuals I don't think that it'd be a good idea.

hzy

Post by hzy »

On the team and individual level it's a bad idea. Looks like Seabury Hall finally got their wish. Funny, they complain for years that they are disadvantaged because of their school size, while at the same time they are aggressively recruiting runners from other schools on Maui, which Is a huge advantage they have over all the public schools (regardless of size). They also have the advantage of being able to offer Interscholastic training to intermediate level kids, leading to runners that are more prepared than the majority of those coming into public schools. I've been a proponent before of separate championships for private and public schools, and while my stance on that issue has changed some I still feel if there is going to be two divisions that is how they should be divided. In the end, the state race is just too small to have two divisions. If there is going to be two divisions, there should be two races, just as in all other sports there are two competitions for the different divisions.

The other issue here, which is just absolutely ridiculous, is that there is no size designation to determine who goes into Division I or Division II. Honestly, that is one of the stupidest things I've ever heard of. If that's the case, then what's the point?