2011 High School track and field

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
RunJonPaulAMPM
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Re: 2011 High School track and field

Post by RunJonPaulAMPM »

...the weather factor I noticed at War Memorial Stadium was the wind. A lot of adjustments had to be made on jumper's marks, steps on the hurdles, vaulters approaches, etc. It's in your face on the back straight, but dies as you get closer to the bleachers on the end. It's on your back in the turn, as it swirls in from the opening in the bleachers and is on your back on the final straight. Later in the afternoon, it died out completely. The long & triple jump pits runways point away from the wind on the far end of the field, as does the pole vault runway on the close side of the field. The high jump is on the scoreboard side of the field, so the wind blows into the pit.

train hard win easy
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by train hard win easy »

Try rain. It's Friday morning and it has been raining here in Maui sence two in the morning. And I'm a mile from the track. Looks like a wet one.

nogutsnoglory
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by nogutsnoglory »

It is 9am on Maui just woke up what a night. Like this is going to be a wet one. I heard one thunder clap which got me thinking around 2am what if it starts thunder and lightning on Saturday, what are the contingencies. Will it continue on Sunday or next weekend?. Just heard more thunder.

train hard win easy
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by train hard win easy »

Clouds are thinning out. Wind is minimal, so far. Could be a perfect day for a great track meet. Good luck to all the athletes. They have all worked hard to get here. Godspeed!

kautech
High-quality H20 provider

Post by kautech »

fanoffb
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by fanoffb »

Any results?

OIAcoach
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by OIAcoach »

fanoffb
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by fanoffb »

OIAcoach wrote:http://www.kautech.com/results/hhsaa/2011/ Punahou sweep
Thanks

hzy

Post by hzy »

Unfortunately the best female athlete of the meet also cost her team a championship. Kailea Tracey-Visintainer skipped the 100m, in which she only needed to take 4th, and there's your championship. Man I can't stand Punahou.

MauiBoy
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by MauiBoy »

The word is that she wanted to save herself for 200 and 400 and relays, that decision cost Seabury. I was impressed with the sprinter from St. Louis he ran the 100, 200, relays and the 400, now that was doing everything for the team.

hzy

Post by hzy »

She actually told the Maui News that she didn't run the 100 to save herself for the other races (only 1 relay), that not doing the 100 may have given her the extra push to win the 200 at the end, and that she was glad she made that decision. Another unfortunate case of an athlete making decisions about what to participate in and not the coach. Typical of Seabury though. The only time that team actually runs together is at meets. It's more a group of talented individuals than it is a team.

That is impressive of the St. Louis sprinter, and I just don't understand how more sprinters won't do the 100, 200, and 400 because they think it's too much. I'll never understand how an athlete can think that an extra 100m is too much.

800runner
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by 800runner »

hzy- I'd like to disagree with you about Kailea Tracy-Visintainer and your thoughts on sprinting. My background comes from middle distance running, and as such, I understand how difficult it is to run extra races. You may wonder why an extra 100m can be "too much", but it can make a difference. Take your example of Jeremy Tabuyo. He ran a 51.50 400m after running an "extra" 200m with the 4x100 and open 100m. I would argue he could have ran a full second faster, had he came into the race fresh. But it is taxing to run a 100m, since lactic acid fills your legs as you are anaerobic for at least the last 30m. Watch video interviews of professional sprinters-- they are gasping for air in the post race interview, despite having "only" run 100m.

Basically, my point is that there was no guarantee she would have done as well in the 200 or 400 had she run the 100m.

As a counter example to your point about this being an "unfortunate case of an athlete making decisions about what to participate in and not the coach," take Jordan Thibodeau. He was forced to run the 4x400m in trials with little warm up after another one of his teammates went down. This was in spite of the fact that he needed his best race possible to beat Pierce Murphy in the 1500m. After all, he has run 4:00 before. Not to take away anything from Pierce, but Jordan would have, at worse, been closer (and possibly made for a sub-4 min 1500?). The Kamehameha coach threw Jordan in for the team and ended up leading to his only loss at 800m this season in addition to his inability to keep up with Pierce in the 1500. Moreover, the 4x400 did not have any effect on the team standings, as even if Kamehameha had won, Punahou would have still come out on top. Essentially, my point is that a coach may not make the best decision for the athlete.

Otherwise, congratulations to all the athletes. Many fantastic performances, one that was the best in several years.

Notably:
Kristine Felix, 12-6 in PV (she would have placed 12th ish for the Boys)
Amber Kozaki, 12-0 in PV (she would have placed 14th ish for the Boys, and would have won states in any other year)
Shane Brostek, Discus and Shot champion
3 throwers (Brostek, Fonokalafi, Adkisson) over 170 feet in discus
Zhane Santiago, 100h and Long Jump champion (2nd in Triple by 0.25 in)
Devin Jenkins, 10.46 and 21.09, winning 100m and 200m. Best FAT 100m-200m double all-conditions.
3 runners (Jenkins, Tabuyo, Zane) under 11 for the 100m
4 girls (Sims, Grossman, Curatilo, Brady) under 4:50 for the 1500m
Pierce Murphy, 4:01.92 and 8:52.44, winning 1500m and 3000m. Two state records.
Kailea Tracy-Visintainer, 200m and 400m champ, plus anchor (correct me if I am wrong) for 4x400m team
Punahou Boys win 4th straight 4x400m championship.

RunJonPaulAMPM
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by RunJonPaulAMPM »

As a coach at the Hawaii High School level for 25 years, I have seen some good and bad examples of athletes competing in multiple events at the state championships. Most of the bad examples is either the coach or athlete attempting to acheive some extraordinary feat without properly preparing the athlete to do so, and its not some thing you can decide on the week that entries are due for the meet, it has to be decided upon at the start of the season, where you plan your progression of workouts to accomodate adapting the athletes body to performing multiple events, and handling the buildup of lactic acid that results from the anaerobic sprint activity, as well as training the athlete to perform necessary warm up and cool down between events.
When Coach Mike Keller and decathlete Dan O'Brien came to Hawaii for track clinics in the early '90's, this was one of the challenges they discussed for multi-event athletes. It was one of the things that Coach Keller constantly had to get after O'Brien for.
More often than not, I have seen athletes at the state meet perform below their capability in their 5th or 6th events. These are the athletes who I've seen sitting on the infield or the bleachers, inactive between events, wrongfully trying to conserve energy, because they have been improperly trained and prepared for the endeavor, by increasing their endurance level to handle multiple sprints and explosive jumping events as well as the requirement to warmup and cool down between events.
Whether or not they are prepared or have had the necessary coaching to achieve their desired results, it does not take away from the heart and guts displayed by the outstanding performances by these athletes who compete at the State Championships. They are the true embodiment of sports, attempting to accomplish amazing feats against all odds.

n0t1but2
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by n0t1but2 »

...a lot of posts about impending rain, which never came to fruition. I guess everyone is still wary about the 2004 State Championships at War Memorial Stadium, "The Monsoon on Maui", where Kamehameha lost the boys team title because of the cancellation of some events.

hzy

Post by hzy »

800runner- One key difference between Kailea and Tabuyo is that Kailea did not run the 4x100m, giving her more time to recover and clear the lactic build up from the 100m. In her 400m, she won by well over a second and would have been able to win without any extra push. I am not saying the 100m isn't taxing, but a properly trained athlete should be able to recover enough to handle to load.

As for Jordan, I have a hard time believing that the 400 he ran at trials affected his overall performance at finals. I had heard that he come into the state meet with a slight injury and this affected his performance. Someone that has obviously trained at a high level and accomplished some of the times he has been able to would certainly be able to handle a 400 the night before two hard races.

RunJonPaul- You make the key point and that is the misunderstanding of athletes on how to stay prepared to compete in multiple events throughout a meet. This is something that coaches need to make a priority of coaching as they cannot be on the field to constantly be reminding the athletes to keep moving.