2010 Cross Country

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
nogutsnoglory
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Re: 2010 Cross Country

Post by nogutsnoglory »

Yes unpaid and 808 you have a valid point. In California they post times at different distances 5k, three miles even 2.7 miles. No one is ranked by time it is all done head to head. Who beat who. The only thing that separates them is what division they are in, and we do not want to start that all over again. Grossman would be in division 5, 500 kids and under. Brady would be some were in division 3 or 2.
Do not worry, it will sort itself out this weekend one way or the other.

kautech
High-quality H20 provider

Post by kautech »

Thanks to all for your insight on the rankings ... of course time does not tell everything ... take Kauai SO Joshua Herr for example ... does he need to have that target on his back (not the one from the Honolulu Marathon/Kaiser Invite T-Shirt) because he ran on what would appear to be a very fast course? Not at all.

Having a look at the girls times, and although they finished 7-8 behind Mililani's Kimberly Pugliese (Big Dog's #1 Pick) Hawaii Prep's Zoe Sims and Kela Vargas are not even ranked in the top 25. Why? Some courses are faster than others ... I've merely put together a list of the top times.

MileSplit is working on a formula to rank courses according to difficulty, then apply that rating to come up with more accurate rankings ... Until then, it is what it is.

Good luck to all at this weekend's meets at Punahou and Hawaii Prep and wherever else you may be training, and to the student-athletes that read this blog, remember, it's not always about which individual or team is #1 or even #25 ... it's about improving, and knowing you've done the best you can do!!!

Aloha

-bm

MilRunFan
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by MilRunFan »

NoGuts: I read your posts and get the impression that it is very important to you to elevate your favorite runner above others. I do not think that that you are doing right by this young and talented lady when you do this. Really, you are only serving yourself, and you do not come off well to a group that includes some fairly prominent runners, parents, coaches and running fans.

We are not here to play out races before they're run. We are all here to enjoy our sport, and to enjoy the company of others who also enjoy running. Most importantly, we need to remember that we are parents, coaches and teachers who are setting an example to the kids who are all logging on and reading what we write.

Nothing has been resolved so far, and nothing will be resolved this weekend. We have a senior who has established a strong running resume, a young sophomore and State Champion who is rapidly improving after coming back from an injury, and an exciting newcomer from Maui with a familiar name who shows great potential. Add to the mix those yet unknown, but still potentially race-changing runners that could show up at any time. One of them won at CORP last week. And, then, as someone else said, it starts shaping up to be a great season. We have excitement and something to talk about.

Finally, I thank "KauTech" Bob and Wayne the "Big Dog" for all the effort you put into your coverage of Hawaii's young runners. While I'm a Mililani guy, I still really enjoy hearing about what all our Hawaii runners are up to. As some else said here, I don’t care if it’s a flat course when the times were that good! Bob did what is done on MileSplit – he listed times. He did not rank runners. It is fruitless to try to compare courses.

Everything will be resolved at CORP in October, and, until that time, we should all enjoy the great “ride” we’re receiving, courtesy of Hawaii’s young runners – ALL OF THEM!

THANK YOU, YOUNG LADIES AND GENTLEMEN! Your weekly performances inspire us!

nogutsnoglory
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by nogutsnoglory »

NoGuts: I read your posts and get the impression that it is very important to you to elevate your favorite runner above others. I do not think that that you are doing right by this young and talented lady when you do this. Really, you are only serving yourself, and you do not come off well to a group that includes some fairly prominent runners, parents, coaches and running fans.

Hi Mil

Just to set the facts straight. Bob said Girls XC Rankings. I said I disagree. As far as having a favorite, yes I do pull for Grossman and Seabury because they do a great job with what they have which is very little. It is rare that anyone talks much about the outer Island schools. I hope Grossman wins, and I hope Seabury pulls off a huge upset what is wrong with that. In California they rank runners over other runners all the time. Maybe it is time we join the rest of the nation in this sport in rankings and times.

MilRunFan
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by MilRunFan »

NoGuts: Bob also said, "... I've merely put together a list of the top times." I have found that hiding behind "word lawyering" often distracts one from seeing the big picture.

I'll stick with my previous statement and I appreciate yours. I think that anyone who reads the last few posts has all the information they need to form a very accurate "big picture".

Kids - Win with humility and grace. Show true appeciation for your able competitor when you lose. It is a local value that is sometimes not appreciated in California, or by some on this blog.

nogutsnoglory
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by nogutsnoglory »

Mililani Fan

I am sorry you have such a thin skin. I just expressed my opinion.You are the problem. You just want everything to stay the same as it was 20 years ago. It is changeing. We should go back to running two miles.

MilRunFan
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by MilRunFan »

Noguts: I am sorry that you are so insensitive to the fragile egos of adolescents. It is obtuse to claim that hurting kids with words on a blog site is "modern" and "mainland". Show some tact in your future posts.

nogutsnoglory
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by nogutsnoglory »

Mililani Fan

The kids I know that read this blog get a laugh out of it and go straight to Facebook and gossip about what was said. The kids I know that run are not so sensitive that they take this blog that seriously, to them it is just entertainment, and that is all it is entertainment and stats. There is no need to get bent out of shape about disagreeing with someone. As my daughter says take a chill pill and go for a long run.

GingerBread Man
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by GingerBread Man »

blogging is our way of ESPN. just a high school version. makes the sport more interesting i think.

BIOFA
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by BIOFA »

ok guy lets just get over this and not spend a whole page about whos right or wrong.
but this is my opinion and the one time ill ever say this.
GO ELLI AND GO PUNAHOU.
theres no way you girls will get upset.

Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin
MLB: Atlanta Braves
NBA: Atlanta Hawks
NFL: San Diego Chargers

Post by Scott »

BIOFA wrote:ok guy lets just get over this and not spend a whole page about whos right or wrong.
I agree 100%....and have the ability to enforce it ROFL. Play nicely please everyone!

Mahalo,
Scott
"Do, or do not. There is no 'try'."
- Yoda ('The Empire Strikes Back')

Mahalo,
Scott
http://www.sportshawaii.com
"Hawaii's Fan Based Sports Page"

whoewa70
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by whoewa70 »

First of all mahalo to Scott to nipping the "disagreement" in the bud before it got worse. This is just forum after all. Be glad all of us can still post about XC in the end.

Secondly...a big mahalo to Bob for his postings and rankings. They are just that "his opinions." We all have our own and guess what....none matter in the end because it's the kids that are racing and proving us right/wrong in the end. It just takes one game for and undefeated team to fall in a poll, so what's the difference with cross country. NOTHING. Bob could have easily put Pierce above Margarito after the Iolani Inv. but he feels that Margarito will still win. Again his opinion.

For you 'noguts' to say that Dakota and her Seabury teammates to do alot with very little, I don't really understand. What do you mean by so "little?" Cross country is the most low-maintenance sport in high school by far. Athletes just need socks and shoes. Schools provide jerseys and shorts(which most of the time double for the track team). Everyone has little to work with. For me my kids can't train on hills to prepare for races, so we run stairs or in the sand. If you mean little respect, I understand. But it's always been that way for outer island kids. My good friends were the Frampton brothers from Seabury and they never complained about not getting respect. I know for a fact Pierce Murphy doesn't either. Great runners let their feet do the talking. Put up a great time and people will talk regardless of course. I was surely talking when he put up that sub-15. I tell my kids all about the outer island kids, in fact all the kids regardless of league.

Like I stated before it's a social sport and knowing your competition is trying to better yourself. Just my opinion. Have fun all.

Con
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by Con »

Thank you Scott!

Aloha to the Hawaii Running Community from the Brady Ohana…

A funny thing happened while I was at work. I received a call from my wife giving me some lighthearted grief about a post on your Cross Country thread. She was told by a friend that I had made a post about Elli as BIOFA. I guess the friend had interpreted the name BIOFA as biological father, meaning me! The post was innocent and supportive of Elli and her school-thanks. But last year when our kids first brought this site to our attention we all agreed that it wasn’t a good idea for any of us to post here. In case anyone else thought that BIOFA was me (Elli’s Dad), it wasn’t.

Since I’m here, I will say that the Brady’s all read your site because there’s lots of good information about running in Hawaii. As Elli’s parents, Mary and I also like to keep track of what people are saying about our daughter. Almost everything is very supportive and we appreciate that. I must admit that some of the posts have disturbed us a bit. As a parent, it’s hard to see your kid getting trashed by some anonymous person who could be anyone from a coach to what our kids call a creeper.

I’m going to stay away from expressing an opinion here. What I will do is give you a few words of what Elli said to the Advertiser last year after the State race.

“She’s a really great runner,” Brady said of (Hailey) Grossman. “I’d been following her all season. I really look up to her. She’s a senior, she’s experienced, she’s a really good runner and I’m honored to run with her today.”

Mary and I were mostly shocked about how that race turned out. But, we sure were proud when our 14 year old said that cold to a newspaper reporter. Then, at the Iolani race where Dakota finished 2nd and Elli 6th, Elli took the time to congratulate Dakota and give her a hug. Elli later told me that she understands what Dakota’s going through, and Elli wanted to make sure that Dakota knows that she supports her, even if some people don’t.

Elli loves to run, she loves her team mates and she loves her coaches. She is also pretty good friends with a lot of Hawaii’s other high school runners. Even at 15, she is doing a great job at being a good sport. I think there’s a lesson there for all of us!

Please try to be supportive of all our Hawaii Runners. We all like to root for the kids who are special to us. But, it’s in very poor taste to root against a kid. I’m pretty sure that Dakota’s, Kimmie’s and all our Hawaii cross country parents feel the same.

Both Mary and I will be at the Punahou race this weekend. We’d like to meet any of you bloggers who are there. Please come up and say hi!

The Brady’s are going to return to reading, but not participating on this site. Have fun, but please try to be nice!

Good Runniing, Con Brady

kautech

Post by kautech »

whoewa70 wrote:...a big mahalo to Bob for his postings and rankings. They are just that "his opinions." ... We all have our own and guess what....none matter in the end because it's the kids that are racing and proving us right/wrong in the end. It just takes one game for and undefeated team to fall in a poll, so what's the difference with cross country. NOTHING.
I have yet to proffer my opinion ... the rankings represent the fastest 3-mile times (and 5k conversions) run this season
whoewa70 wrote:Bob could have easily put Pierce above Margarito after the Iolani Inv. but he feels that Margarito will still win. Again his opinion.
again ... I did not rank anyone according to ability, just time. I have told very few people my predictions, and have not printed that yet ... you can wait for my preview of the HHSAA meet for that ...

-bm

OIAcoach
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by OIAcoach »

Con-
I hear Coach Shawn of Leilehua is organizing the Footlocker West trip for many of the Hawaii runners again. Email him (lhstandf@yahoo.com). He would like to invite all the Hawaii kids together for a pasta dinner on the friday before the race (thats if Elli decides to go again).

Good Luck to all at the races