2010 Cross Country

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
nogutsnoglory
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Re: 2010 Cross Country

Post by nogutsnoglory »

ebbenezer66

You are brilliant !

trackrunner808
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by trackrunner808 »

Margarito missed track because he failed spanish

MilRunFan
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by MilRunFan »

WHEW...Fast and Furious this year. Personal opinion...let the kids run some races. Last year everyone was pushing Haley Grossman, and a young and unknown freshman came out of nowhere to beat her, leading her team to a narrow victory in the State Championship over our Mililani girls. That scenario could very well play out again this year. However, the one difference I'd note is that no one was on this forum touting Miss Brady as the future state champion even before she ran her first race. I think that the new Miss Grossman, and all the other freshmen out there deserve our patience and respect. Why all the pressure and the building up of one runner at the expense of another? They're kids! That's not brilliance...It's hurtful. These kids are also all reading everything that we're writing. I'd ask that everyone let the kids run the races and that we appreciate all of them for their work and effort.

I can't wait for the season to start.

800runner
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by 800runner »

The state meet has been moved to Thursday, October 28 because CORP will be closed due to a city furlough day. In case that matters to anyone.

hzy
High-quality H20 provider

Post by hzy »

Very coy announcement, 800runner. I believe this information will matter to a few of us. Is this verified information though?

bungahead
All-conference
All-conference

Post by bungahead »

Hmmmmm. . . .congratulations to all!

You've made two young ladies heated rivals . . . and, now one of you can claim to be the smarter based on the results of their hard work.

800runner
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by 800runner »

hzy wrote:Very coy announcement, 800runner. I believe this information will matter to a few of us. Is this verified information though?
An ILH coach told me this. He has been proven to be both reliable and wise in the past. The reason behind the move to Thursday and not Saturday that he told me is because the park would be closed on Friday, so the course would be closed and no teams could walk the course the day before the meet.
Don't book your flight until you hear it officially though. I wouldn't want to cause any problems.

And bungahead-
Any real competitor shouldn't care what two anonymous internet posters say. I'm sure both are still working hard to be the best they can be.

bungahead
All-conference
All-conference

Post by bungahead »

800runner wrote:

. . .

And bungahead-
Any real competitor shouldn't care what two anonymous internet posters say. I'm sure both are still working hard to be the best they can be.
Maybe, in an ideal world. But we live in the real world and so do those girls and any other hs runners who might come up for discussion here. And, in the real world, no one here can ensure that girls or boys will adjust their emotional/intellectual vulnerabilities and responses in line with your stated ideal because you say so, much less possess the ability to do so innately.

They run fast for long distances. Just let them run and enjoy. The only thing conjecture about who is better can bring is harm.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

There are many possible outcomes to any situation. To say that only harm can result is not a reflection of reality. You might as well ban competition because that's where all the competitors find out who is first,second,third,etc...on that day in that competition. They determine that,not posters on a internet forum. But those posters can talk about it.

So,how can talking about runners be any more harmful to them than the actual results of their competition be to them. If a kid finishes second,he might well decide to train harder and smarter so he can finish first sometime in the future....but still believe he did the best he could in the present when he wound up second.

People do manage to grow up and generally have fun and do something productive. ...and their peers ,bosses whatever are going to rate them ...always,,on the job and off....it;S life.....I like to think people are not frail little things that always need someone to look out for them.....I prefer to think that kids can grow up to make their own choices and live their own lives on their own terms as much as possible.

MilRunFan
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by MilRunFan »

Most of the posts here have been very reasonable. I see no problem with making predictions and comparing runners. For example, I think 800runner does a very nice job of balancing his discussion of the various runners with respecting the fact that they are teenagers...sometimes very young teenagers. However, I think it is inappropriate to put down one young runner to embelish another. So far this year, several posts have crossed that line, IMHO. Then, the individuals who crossed that line almost taunted others into challenging them. That makes me wonder: Who are these posters? Definitely, they are "partisans" who have a not-so-hidden agenda to build up a runner whom they may know, coach or to which they are related. I find that to be very trite. Rather, I like to read what everyone has to say about all the runners, and enjoy an objective discussion of race results. It's hard to even have that kind of discussion about freshmen until they've run some races and recorded some times.

I also did not think it appropriate to put down the Big Dog. He seems to be a very dedicated runner and running supporter who does a lot of good for our sport, especially on the Big Island. I checked his preseason rankings, and he stated that his lists were based on last year's State Championship results! You can't get more honest and forthright than that.

So, is it possible that we can all return to a more positive and proactive discussion about all our State's fine high school runners? Competition is great, but the races aren't run in cyberspace. Personally, I love it when there's a whole group of good runners competing for the win. I thought that last year's girl's competition was fantastic with Miss Grossman (elder), the favorite, being chased by Miss Brady, Miss Jenkins, Miss Keith, Miss Pugliese, Miss Hann and Miss Greenwell. The team finish was fantastic too - sooooo close, Mililani!

On that note...no one has yet mentioned Miss Pugliese - Don't count her and the Mililani girls out!

hzy

Post by hzy »

It's about time we get some posts rollin' here, but i agree with milrunfan. How about we start talking about the season at hand?

Any love for the neighbor island teams out there? How about Honokaa on the Big Island or Maui High? Both of those boys teams have some strong runners returning. As for the girls, the Seabury Hall team is going to come into this season as strong, or stronger, than ever.

Watch out Oahu!

mnxc21
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by mnxc21 »

yes thank you, please do not put down Big Dog.
he is very respeced on the big isle. especially in Hilo.

but i also would like to say, Honokaa, may score some good points at states, granted that the whole team returns...
go green and gold ;)

leilehua 2 mile time trial is this coming saturday at their school. i believe some of the teams are, mililani, rooselvelt, and castle. may be pearl city too..

welshrarebit
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by welshrarebit »

I think the HPA girls will three-peat as biif champs. They return all but one of their varsity squad to a team that finished fourth in the state last year. The Honokaa girls will be a close second with Tia Greenwell taking her fourth biif crown.

The Honokaa boys will breeze thru the season and take the boys crown with ease.

BTW, the Fall JV soccer season is officially dead! So, that should help get some of the younger runners that normally would play soccer into the sport.

dpt456
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by dpt456 »

A lot of information will be available after the 2 mile time trial at Leilehua and the 3 mile race at Pearl City. Also, where do you look for info on the ILH preseason meets?

800runner
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by 800runner »

And so... now this ILH coach tells me that the coaches will likely use the "except for previously scheduled tournaments" clause in the city furlough plan. So having the state meet on Friday is still the plan. Whatever. Just wait for the official announcement.

I was actually really impressed by both Maui and Honokaa last year and their potential for this year. Not only do they return quite a few (maybe even 7?), but their depth in the 3-5 is also pretty solid. I would, however, give Maui the slight advantage in the preseason due to the consistent success of Maui's top 2 over Honokaa's top 2. But Honokaa also has a solid 3-5 that could make a difference (like Punahou Girls vs. Millilani last year).

The first ILH meet is the first Saturday in September at Waipio in the morning (like 9AM I think). Untimed, unscored, 4 races (inter/vars, girls/boys).

Not really any published info...