2010 Cross Country

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
DelBocaVista
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Re: 2010 Cross Country

Post by DelBocaVista »

I guess I'll eliminate all the seniors from last years state results and call them my predictions too. way to go big dog.

nogutsnoglory
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by nogutsnoglory »

Unpaid
What are u unpaid for.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

What have you done with the real nogutsnoglory? Aren't you the same guy who was saying awhile ago in this same thread that it was fun playing with people like me who didn't pay attention. Put those people skills you have so finely honed in your conversations with me to use ,and take that intellect of yours that is so powerful that you amuse yourself by toying with mere mortals like me and find your own answers.

Still having fun?

Or,we could stick to the thread topic. I think Grossman is a good runner,but Brady is better right now. A thirteen year old going on fourteen still has some physical maturing to do to start taking down equally talented sophomores,juniors ,and seniors every week. I don't think you do her any favors by saying no one will stop her. I would say she will take her lumps this year although she is good enough to win a few races. Sophomore year on,could be interesting.

Which conversation would you prefer to carry on. I can give you either one or both.

mnxc21
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by mnxc21 »

ok lets not hate on big dog, he's just giving his own opinion DelBocaVista.
why dont you come up with your own since you dont like the way he does it?
and as for the boys i believe the st louis senior boy maybe a sleeper here. watch for him.
ran a 16 at the schofield 5k.
but magarito, pierce, jordan, st louis kid. and i put chris mosch in here. as my top 5 at state

whoewa70
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by whoewa70 »

Hello again all....looks like it's starting early with the great back and forth. Gotta luv it especially on a cross country forum. Well I went and posted a couple comments on the Big Dog's page with a couple of runners I know who have since moved to the mainland. It always happens so no big news. Margarito is still here and training hard and so has Pierce (saw him at Summer Track). Will be a great season for the boys and girls. Can't wait to see where States is going to be held though.

Good luck to all the student-athletes this cross country season.

welshrarebit
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by welshrarebit »

I think the State XC championships are going to be on O'ahu @ CORP.

If Donavan McNabb gets hurt the biggest news about a Grossman might be Rex. I'll drink the Dakota Grossman Kool-aid after the I'olani meet...

hzy
High-quality H20 provider

Post by hzy »

Unless they have changed the venue, the state meet will be at CORP on Oahu this year.

Where did you post your comments whoewa? I went to the boys and girls predictions pages on Big Dogs site and didn't see anything about runners moving to the mainland. Care to share with us here who moved?

As far as Dakota Grossman goes, it's always a little unfair to an athlete to start claiming titles for that person before they have even competed in their first event. You may think you're doing the individual a favor by doing so, but how about remembering that this is a 12-13 year old girl. Let's all just enjoy watching how the season plays out while we watch an outstanding group of young ladies compete against each other.

Another thing- is it just me or is it a little weird that Margarito will be competing this year as a 19 year old? That's a man competing against boys. I know it is within the rules, but it is still odd. Shouldn't it be a rule that you can't be 19 by the time of a state competition maybe? It especially strikes me as inequitable because in Hawaii you have a lot of young kids for the grades they are in (compared to the mainland). Most states don't do school admissions based on being born between December and December, but instead based on a school year calender (August to August). This means you don't have a lot of 18 year olds in high school, let alone 19 year olds. This means that Margarito will be competing against kids that are mostly at least 2 years younger than him. Does that sound fair?
Last edited by hzy on Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

dpt456
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by dpt456 »

Who do you think will win OIAs? Pearl City, Leilehua or Mililani?

mnxc21
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by mnxc21 »

not sure how PC looks, but mililani has the best young top2 in a while
if they can build around that and pack well they should do pretty good
but leilehua seems determined to get a better placing at states this year,
and so far have no injuries. just gota see at the first couple meets where both teams stand.

whoewa70
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by whoewa70 »

HZY....posted it to BigDog's predictions. I put that Kelsey Waters from Leilehua moved (actually herself and her sister), also Matthew Dodge moved. Also "Frank" on the site put that Gabi Jenkins moved. Should be interesting. As for the State Championships, as I have heard it the ILH is looking for another site but will use CORP as its alternate site. The ILH and OIA will be holding their varsity championships on the same day at wherever they decide to hold the state meet. We'll just have to wait and see what and where the ILH decides to hold the meet. I just hope we find out sooner than later. Just my opinion.

Keep Running......

hzy

Post by hzy »

Thanks for adding that, whoeva. I did finally get to see the info. you posted on Big Dogs site. Very interesting about the uncertainty of the state meet venue. I agree with you, I hope they decide where it will be soon. I know there are kids on the outer islands that want to go to the Kaiser Invite because of the state meet being at CORP, but if that is not where it is going to be held that changes things.

welshrarebit
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by welshrarebit »

There's talk of having a fall JV soccer season on the Big Island. I think that that will pull a lot of the underclassmen from XC as, probably, more than half of the runners are soccer players getting into shape while doing a varsity sport.

They haven't officially announced it yet; I think the meeting to determine if there are enough schools interested and if there's the budget for it is this week (today?).

800runner
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by 800runner »

Moving JV soccer to the fall season away from the varsity season doesn't seem to make sense from a logistics standpoint. Isn't it easier for the league to just hold the JV game before the varsity? Well, I don't know much about organizing soccer so...

Making pre-season predictions is difficult. Without summer races or track results for everyone, it is very difficult to predict the state meet result. Generally, a more conservative approach is necessary. To say that Brady is in for a surprise and that Grossman is Hawaii's Hasay (by the way, that was originally Eri Macdonald in terms of state championships) is a very surprising prediction. While I don't doubt that Grossman is good (10:32 is a fantastic time, especially in a win by 20s), that does not necessarily translate to an automatic win in XC (search Sarah Clapp in results from a few years ago). Now the question is if she can hold her fitness through the end of October.
Conversely, for those who doubt her physical maturity, just remember that only last year, Brady took down a much more physically mature Hailey Grossman. And a few years back, Ali Keith won as a freshman (and I am sure there are others too, but those are the ones off the top of my head). Simply put it is just way too early to predict anything confidently for individuals.

Even on the boys side it is difficult to predict anything. Martinez has to be the favorite, given his dominance in XC last season, but why did he miss Track states? Injuries? Is he back up (or even above) last year's fitness? Also, personally, I thought that the 19 year old thing was just some rumor started by the first poster on the 09 thread.
And how can we count out Pierce Murphy, given that he has now run 4:02 twice. He is clearly in great shape. And what about Thibodeau, he also ran 4:02 at track states, plus almost caught up on the 4x4 to give Kamehameha a chance for the team title? Plus there is this mystery St. Louis guy who dropped a 16:mid for the win at Schofield. Who knows what he could pull out once the season starts and he has more competition? And last year, a Punahou freshman came out of nowhere to take 5th. How do we know there are no newcomers?

On the team side, it could be a very wild ride. For boys, I know Iolani comes back with 4 of their 7, Kamehameha 3 of their 7, and Punahou 2 of their 7. If any of these teams can complete their team with a solid 5 runners, they are instantly the favorite (in most people's minds). Yet a handful of OIA schools return 5-7 of younger talent. Could they pass the depth of the ILH?
For the girls, until some team proves to me otherwise, defending champ Punahou has to be the favorite, given that they graduated 0 runners.

The state meet is at CORP (I believe on 10/29?). However, the ILH champs and the last regular season meet still do not have a location, as far as I know.

mnxc21
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by mnxc21 »

magarito missed track due to academic probabtion

dpt456
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by dpt456 »

i heard he broke his toe