2010 Cross Country

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
kautech
High-quality H20 provider

Re: 2010 Cross Country

Post by kautech »

whoewa70
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by whoewa70 »

Anyone have any links or information about the upcoming Honolulu Marathon/Kaiser Invitational at Patsy Mink Regional Park (CORP)????

Looking for more than just time...more like the information attached to the coaches packet. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

nogutsnoglory
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by nogutsnoglory »

Have you noticed something. Why is Maui turning out high quality runners especially girls??. Did you notice the intermediate results at Iolani. Both runners who won boys and girls divisions in the intermediate races were from Maui. We have a great summer running program here on Oahu and a great intermediate program with the ILH schools so what is the deal?. We are now looking at four more years of reading about one runner in the girls division. What about the rest of the state.

todaresq
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by todaresq »

In response to nogutsnoglory: Maui's coaches support the top runners, current or upcoming and we're not too fixated on winning team championships/titles. We don't have the numbers or the luxury of getting new recruits (military/transfers), so the focus is developing what we have. Should the numbers fall into place, then we'll fight for a team spot. Look back 10 years and Maui has placed in the top 3 (cross country) teamwise more than half the time. What's our secret? Running is an individual sport and should be treated as such, setting records and winning meets only last so long, but winning individual titles... now that last forever!
Side note: Look at the state championships and watch how Maui's runners hangout and cheer each other on, then look at the Oahu schools (OIA/ILH) and watch the heated rivalry.

kautech

Post by kautech »

Last edited by kautech on Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mnxc21
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by mnxc21 »

so winning team titles doesn't last forever???
and i know for a fact when it comes to states, the oia cheer on other oia,
just not the ilh.

hzy

Post by hzy »

Before anybody starts vilifying Maui coaches based on todaresq's comments, I would like to say that not ALL Maui coaches support only the top athletes and don't encourage team titles. There are a couple coaches, without mentioning names or schools, that think that team success and coaching all athletes is very important in high school athletics, no matter the sport. I think the coaches that would agree with todaresq's perspective have forgotten that these are high school students and it is not only a coaches job to coach the best but also coach the kid that may have never done a sport in their life. If coaches choose to not focus on the kids new to athletics they may be missing an opportunity to teach them how to be healthy for life.

Also, how can a team title not last forever? 7 kids just had the opportunity to experience glory that they will never forget, not just 1. Plus, last time I checked the school gets a nice trophy that doesn't disappear over time.

mnxc21
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by mnxc21 »

"Also, how can a team title not last forever? 7 kids just had the opportunity to experience glory that they will never forget, not just 1. Plus, last time I checked the school gets a nice trophy that doesn't disappear over time."
thank you hzy for that remark, as that is very true.

CCfan
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by CCfan »

In all fairness, todaresq's responses were partly influenced by the questions posed by nogutsnoglory. Maui may seem to all of a sudden have a bunch of spectatular athletes, those of us who have been involved in the sport of cross country and track for a while, know that some perceived successes happen in cycles, influenced by various factors, like coaches, athletes or interest in the sport. The seasons leading into or coming off of an Olympic year seems to produce a larger interest in the sport, which creates more competition and a better quality of athletes. In the '90's the Big Island had its share of outstanding athletes, possibly because of the success of the program at HPA, put together by Joy Margerum at the time, raising the level of competition on the Big Island so that other schools and athletes in that league also had to get better in order to compete. In the '70s & early '80s Tommy Chun and Al Bader coached some very successful Radford Cross Country and Track teams, that were also aided by some very outstanding athletes, some military and some local. Seabury Hall on Maui has always been competitive in the distance events, both individually and as a team, and more recently, Leilehua has been able to do well at the State level thanks to the coaching of Shawn Nakata and the stable of athletes he has been priveledged to work with. A good coach is able to build a team around a successful athlete and is able to perpetuate that success by establishing a continuing work ethic and tradition of excellence for future teams and athletes to follow. Margarito Martinez and the rest of the Leilehua team may not have had the same success they have today if it weren't for the previous accomplishments of Bryce Jenkins to lead the way and for Coach Nakata to keep that tradition going by continuing the same level of dedication and hard work for the up and coming athletes in his program.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

In all fairness, schools are made up of people,and therefore take on the personality of the people who worked or studied there over the history of that school.

Each school will have it.s moment of joys,despairs,highs,plumbing the depths,and overall legacy just the same as any individual...so let's celebrate the fact that we can all face life and the competitions it affords ...and enjoy life for what it is.

OIAcoach
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by OIAcoach »

Entries for the kaiser meet posted at www.PSEresults.com

2LeftFeet
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by 2LeftFeet »

http://pseresults.com/posts/9
This link takes you directly to the entries page

todaresq
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by todaresq »

A bit of clarification here: There was no mention in my previous comment about team titles not lasting forever, so let's get that straight. I did mention that we're not too fixated on winning team championships/titles, because you need to have the right talent/drive and numbers to fight for a team title. Also, nowhere did I mention that "Maui coaches support only the top athletes. I did say that Maui coaches support the top runners. We have too, they're the ones who lead the sport and motivate others to do better.

Here's another one for you. Why is it only the 7 kids get to experience the glory? Shouldn't the rest of the team be listed, since they played a part in getting the team there. Football awards all the members at championships whether they played or not, so does volleyball and basketball. Shouldn't the alternates listed in team running competitions received recognition since they are also part of your team entry. Also, do 3rd place teams receive medals at championships for those other sports?

mnxc21
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by mnxc21 »

umm actually for winning states they do give an extra 8th medal for an alternate.

800runner
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by 800runner »

todaresq wrote: Here's another one for you. Why is it only the 7 kids get to experience the glory? Shouldn't the rest of the team be listed, since they played a part in getting the team there. Football awards all the members at championships whether they played or not, so does volleyball and basketball. Shouldn't the alternates listed in team running competitions received recognition since they are also part of your team entry. Also, do 3rd place teams receive medals at championships for those other sports?
As much as recognition is important, especially at the high school level, don't you think the situation is perhaps different between strictly team sports and mixed individual/team sports? For example, the backups in football often train with the first squad or represent the scout team. This undeniably helps the players who actually play in the game to get better. Also, given the size of the volleyball and basketball teams, along with the number of people required to scrimmage, by matching up against the starters, don't the backups contribute? I understand that in sports like XC, teammates help to push each other along. However, don't you think it would be overkill to give a team medal to the 30:00 guy? Can you explain to me how he contributed to the quality of running by the 17:30 guy? Obviously, there could be specific cases where a 30:00 guy is perhaps inspirational, but considering that the 30:00 guy cannot train with the 17:30 guy, I don't see how the 30:00 guy helped the 17:30 guy, generally speaking. Then, the argument changes to "where do you draw the line?" When determining how many medals to order, HHSAA would need to draw the line somewhere. 10? 14? However, if a coach does wish to recognize other members of the team, the team may order additional medals at their own expense. But I presume you mean the medals the HHSAA gives? (BTW, mnxc21 is correct about 8 )

Also, as far as I know, medals and team trophies are given to all champions, with team trophies given to all runner ups. Also, medals are given to team runner ups in non-individual sports.