Track and Field 2010

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
A Neutral Fan
High-quality H20 provider

Re: Track and Field 2010

Post by A Neutral Fan »

Went to the Henry Lee Inv last week and was just so impressed with saint louis freshmen Jeremy Tabuyo. This kid won the 400 m, and placed 2nd in the 100 m and 3 in the 200 m. Looks like saint louis in a year or two could be in contention if this kid can get faster and more disciplined.

todaresq
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by todaresq »

Too early to tell who's going to be on top for the team title. Punahou looks like the front runner on the girls side and St. Louis for the boys. With everyone's season being short (cancellations, shortened schedules, etc.) the focus will turn to getting the athletes to qualify early, train without getting hurt and peaking at the right moment.
Much discussion about who's who returning... don't count out the unknowns from the outer islands. Being ranked first, doesn't mean much, look at what happened in the boys high jump, girls 4x400m race or girls 400m for example. Some failed to step up to the challenge, while others just flew under the radar. Look for consistent progress in the results and that might give you an indication on who's improving. Also, some athletes are still trying to find their track legs.

train hard win easy
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by train hard win easy »

Was at the Iolani meet last Saturday. Murphy seems to be gaining speed every meet. Would like to see him and Margarito run in the same race before the states. I think they know they are chasing each other. Should be a good race. Hawaii really should have at least one "true" invitational for all the islands before states. That way all the kids could compete in a big track meet. Just an idea?

Leeward Runner
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Running shorts-Track & Field

Post by Leeward Runner »

I've been observing a trend with high school athletes in recent years where the shorts are not only getting longer but baggier too. Now, maybe I'm old school, but I would think that for top performance, you'd want to wear shorts that allow good range of motion like the New Zealand splits. Not only do they look sharp but are lighweight and you can't help but feel fast wearing them. Wearing big baggy shorts off the track is one thing, but on the track they should be dressed for performance. The girls got it going on, what's going on with high school boys?

kautech

Post by kautech »

Hawaii Top 20 times/marks list posted to http://www.kautech.com/results

No BIIF Marks ... BIIF starts Saturday ...

Waipi'o Lookout
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by Waipi'o Lookout »

Train Hard Win Easy - Great idea about the invitational. Ka'u Tech - Your site is AWESOME. Great service to the running community.

bigmuli
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by bigmuli »

in my opinion, sprinters are strongest with Damien behind Padrone.... for the throwers you need to go with Kamehameha with their strength in numbers.... but jumpers and pole vaulters are Punahous for the taking so its a tie amongst the ILH teams..... is Taz Stevenson running track? i do recall him catching Padrone in a race last year that was a site to see.... and i watched a Mckinley boy hold his own against the faster padrone in the meet at Kamehameha.... I take Punahou to run over the girls states, yet the boys... punahou will pull it off in my opinion... barely... using their relays to overtake the top contender in Kamehameha.... another site to see is the Kamehameha big mans relay... that big boy that they have running the anchor can book it.....

kanakattack
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by kanakattack »

Went to watch track this past weekend and saw a phenom named Devin Jenkins. He ran a 10.7 100 and a 22.1 200 for Kapolei and is only a sophomore. Heard he is a transfer from the mainland and is a MEAN running back with two years to play. He is pretty muscled up too. Could be a stud running back for the next couple of years.

800runner
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by 800runner »

I think in terms of the invitational idea, the Honolulu Marathon Invitational can readily serve that purpose. It combines the top ILH and OIA runners so I think it could be a great location for outer-island runners to fly in. The only downside now is that is lacks a prelims-finals format, so anyone not in the medal heat could get cut out of running a fast time. However, perhaps if it gains popularity, it could be changed.

As for the team race... Punahou girls look pretty strong all around. I think several other teams could easily make a run for the girls title though and are currently not far behind. Kahuku and Kamehameha look to be very close behind. Kahuku may even be ahead of Punahou with just a few highly ranked individual girls (Santiago, Cummings, Taulapapa to name a few)
On the boys side, I'm leaning towards Kamehameha, who seem to have depth in everything except for sprints. However, it may be a little early to predict the top sprinters since they are not all running against each other and many of these times are hand timed. Also, I believe Punahou has not been running all their sprinters in all the meets. I haven't seen many results from guys like Zane, Tuumalo, or Pedrina, critical to their success at last year's state meet.

dietcoke
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by dietcoke »

Is there someone who could fix the results of the ILH meet at Punahou on 3/27/10? The link doesnt work.

hzy

Post by hzy »

Both ILH and BIIF West links don't work. I'm sure Kautech will be on that soon.

dietcoke
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by dietcoke »

oh okay. hopefully they realize it doesnt work. haha.

kautech

Re: Ka'u Tech

Post by kautech »

All links corrected, results and top times/marks lists updated 3/28/10 ...

... by the way, I'm a one man band ... It's funny how people talk about the "Kautech guys" !!!

-"Big Island" Bob Martin
http://www.kautech.com

hzy

Post by hzy »

Thanks Bob. Amazing website you're running by yourself. Very valuable and appreciated.

Waipi'o Lookout
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by Waipi'o Lookout »

For the Honolulu Marathon Invitational it looks like (from the schedules posted on Ka'u Tech) there are meets at Kamehameha as well as at one of the OIA schools. I thought the OIA and ILH schools were running together on that day. Am I misreading something?